What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

MacGregor2k
In-game: Zebulon

Re: What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?

by MacGregor2k » Post

Well, there is a mod that does something along those lines, I didn't make it, though I do like to use it. It's called Awards, and adds achievements to a game. That may not be exactly what you are looking for, though it sounds similar.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

MacGregor2k wrote:Well, there is a mod that does something along those lines, I didn't make it, though I do like to use it. It's called Awards, and adds achievements to a game. That may not be exactly what you are looking for, though it sounds similar.
thanks for responding, yes i have been using both awards and xp redo . highscore might be in the pipeline as a creator really liked the idea . so will have to wait and see if its implemented .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

pcpcpc13
GitHub: pcpcpc12
In-game: pcpcpc13

by pcpcpc13 » Post

ABJ wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 09:09
The attitude of quite a lot of Minetesters and devs is just sad. "Minetest is not Minecraft. STFU and GTFO. Period. We don't give a damn what you 12-year-old creeperheads want."
Sorry!

AmeliaGamerBlack0
GitHub: AmeliaGamerBlack0
IRC: Amelia
In-game: AmeliaGamerBlack0 and ReaperZara

by AmeliaGamerBlack0 » Post

Closets. I think there should be closets to change our package or there would be clothes. That would be pretty cool. Thanks. =)

pampogokiraly
In-game: i_love_mesecon

by pampogokiraly » Post

AmeliaGamerBlack0 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 09:40
Closets. I think there should be closets to change our package or there would be clothes. That would be pretty cool. Thanks. =)
I don't really know what do you mean but there are a lot of skins mods even with some cloesets.
All praise the Bacon God! The one and only god in MineTest

JackGruff

by JackGruff » Post

I think a better question is what can Minetest do to make modders (and their users!) lives even easier. This will let the community flourish even faster by itself.

To that end, I wish MT had something like resource packs. You may argue it already does, but this what RPs do:

- let you package code and assets of any kind together (you made a texture pack for your mod, now it's with your mod)
- let the user enable the packs without any of them mutually excluding another (multiple texture packs)
- let the user set the load order

One cool thing in practice, this lets you have multiple texture packs. Did you find a nice TP that's missing some textures for a mod? Or perhaps the TP is old but someone made a similar themed one that fills the gaps? No problem, let the newer pack load first and the old one you like load later.

You could even go one step further and let the user disable assets of a resource pack!

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

JackGruff wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:22
One cool thing in practice, this lets you have multiple texture packs. Did you find a nice TP that's missing some textures for a mod? Or perhaps the TP is old but someone made a similar themed one that fills the gaps? No problem, let the newer pack load first and the old one you like load later.
This was officially rejected by two core devs.

“This seems like a lot of added complexity”, rubenwardy
“👎” and later linking a completely unrelated other issue as “similar”, paramat

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3832

Festus1965
GitHub: Festus1965
In-game: Festus1965 Thomas Thailand Explorer

by Festus1965 » Post

"What's Minetest still missing over Minecraft?"

982 posts on 40 pages,

easiest solution seam to be:

play minecraft ...

or risk a copy-write issues after to much copy instead of own new ideas and get too famous. = then as concurrent they take the law force ...
Human has no future (climate change)
If urgend, you find me in Roblox (as CNXThomas)

Zughy
GitHub: belongs_to_microsoft
In-game: Zughy

by Zughy » Post

Festus1965 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 02:12
or risk a copy-write issues after to much copy instead of own new ideas and get too famous. = then as concurrent they take the law force ...
I don't think it's the case. What are they gonna do? Sue everyone who makes a 3D armor? The 4 guys who made 4 different versions of bows? Everyone who forks? Also, let's remember Minecraft became the most sold game in history because of community contents, not because of vanilla. Minigames? A community idea. Factions? Same. Towny? Again.

Also: Minetest lacks polishing such as decent entities configuration. And more well-made mods

Jastiv

by Jastiv » Post

I honestly don't know if minecraft has them, but we need a bunch of scary clown mobs, weapons, and cars. And we need wings, and also the security mod. It is supposed to have lasers and stuff like that. (I know we already have some traps and locked containers in the game.

Also, where can I get pre-made worlds with buildings so I could download them, fill them up with lava, TNT them, flood them, and otherwise "ruin" them.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Jastiv wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:16
I honestly don't know if minecraft has them, but we need a bunch of scary clown mobs, weapons, and cars. And we need wings, and also the security mod. It is supposed to have lasers and stuff like that. (I know we already have some traps and locked containers in the game.

Also, where can I get pre-made worlds with buildings so I could download them, fill them up with lava, TNT them, flood them, and otherwise "ruin" them.
If you want a mod that doesn't yet exist, learn lua and make it yourself. (although proper laser beams might be impossible as of yet)
There's a 'maps' section on the user-contributed content panel for world downloads.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Proper laser beams are possible. Lighting is tricky though.
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

sorcerykid
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo

by sorcerykid » Post

I have working lasers on my nightclub server. It was one of the first lighting effects I created for the dance floor. Although right now it is a bit funky due to texture translucency still being broken in the engine. Hopefully at some point, Minetest will support real dynamic lighting of scenes with variable fog for improved realism of laser beams and similar visual effects.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Jastiv wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 18:16
I honestly don't know if minecraft has them, but we need a bunch of scary clown mobs
Clowns ? this is not a childrens tea party .
Anyway the goblins would tease them .
minestest does have its own horror mod and a variety of scary entities
Dmobs , horror . not so simple mobs
so you want to do some griefing like on minecrafts (2b2t)
cause some anarchy . rip and tear . a brutal test .
I just had my whole base griefed by somthing called the pumpking
there are some very big craters ,thing are on fire .I think it was thermonuclear devices . there is an advanced weapons pack with high powered rifles that i have loaded but have not yet tested as i am too busy just trying to stay alive .

Miniontoby
GitHub: Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

The recently new "Caves And Cliffs" update
Working on mtctl ---- Check my mod "Doorbell" -- Stay safe

Elektrika
In-game: elektrika

by Elektrika » Post

There are less biomes in Minetest than Minecraft, even with mods, world generates differently, textures are different, dimensions dont work the same way in minetest...you get the idea...
eh

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Miniontoby wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04
pretty sure they nicked the ideas from minetests xa environment game as that was out first .
same as with the brutal doom mod and the commercial offering of eternal.
All been done before somewhere and just tweaked then rewrapped with corperate eye candy .

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31
Miniontoby wrote:
pretty sure they nicked the ideas from minetests xa environment game as that was out first .
All been done before somewhere and just tweaked then rewrapped with corperate eye candy .
Minecraft users have wanted a cave update since 2011. It wasn't 'nicked' from anywhere.
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 08:06
cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:31
Miniontoby wrote:
Minecraft users have wanted a cave update since 2011. It wasn't 'nicked' from anywhere.
Developers are always nicking ideas
the basics of Minecraft was nicked from another game from the get go .its just a blend of game generas and ideas pinched from elsewhere . the caves is just eyecandy anyways .
the archeology module sounds interesting though .
but minetest may have dowsing in the works which could be equally interesting .
how about growing portals using crops circles and fairy rings ?

PolySaken

by PolySaken » Post

Minecraft does indeed borrow the idea of "breakable cubes" from infiniminer. Beyond thst the entire game is different.
Also, whats this about dowsing? I thought mtg was permanently frozen now.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

PolySaken wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:11
Minecraft does indeed borrow the idea of "breakable cubes" from infiniminer. Beyond thst the entire game is different.
its just a mix of familiar genera taken from elsewhere is all .
Also, whats this about dowsing? I thought mtg was permanently frozen now.
officially yes ,but i did not mention mtg and mods are still being created regardless of its status .

kino2007
GitHub: kino2007
IRC: kino
In-game: imsure1200q imsure kino2007

by kino2007 » Post

(please read the entire thing, especially edit)

I think we should focus on textures, shaders, and sounds... Also I think the ambient occlusion is too dull which makes the game feel like a paper cut-out picture instead of real objects. And it seems the textures have this blur to it, especially the mese lamp. (forgot its name) Mobs aren't shaded well.

I also think you need to separate lighting colors... Minecraft has bluish light for sky and orangey light for other light sources. I think you should do the same thing. Otherwise make shaders for people to customize their experience.

Mobs should also be more interactable with more sound effects (i think more crisp sounds effects) and interact with the blocks around them. Creepers in Minecraft explode blocks when it sees a player for a certain time, which played a huge role in the strategy. (One of the scariest things, honestly) Environment can also interact with it for example if a lightning strikes it it turns into charged creepers. And charged creepers can drop heads if they explode a mob, which is yet another interaction. See, very interesting. But in minetest, i haven't seen any of that yet.

If its fine with you and i have time maybe i can contribute but still these features are missing

EDIT: also remember that minecraft has a goal to beat the ender dragon but minetest does not which gives the player the feeling that "what's the point of going further?" Minecraft has this special thing where players have a chance to get something other players haven't. All potion effects in the shortest time? Duplicating end portals? How good can a pickaxe get? What's the most efficient farm? How long can I jump from here to there, and how can I improve it? What block works best here, andesite or tuff? What if I can spawn a million chickens in his house without him noticing? How do i automate bartering? Can the chorus fruit be used to go through walls? Can the warden be beaten without attracting it? How can I manipulate chunk loading, so as to generate trees in a default superflat world? All of these have results which are useful in their own ways. Whereas in minetest if we say "What's the most efficient farm?" there isn't really any point to farm anyway, aside from eating and giving players food. But in minecraft you can use them for villager trading and auto-farming, which gives it more use.

I remember when I played a server where too many russian players killing other players, but I did get into a group where we tried to farm and make resources as much as possible, so that the russians wouldn't kill us. We did see progress, and yes we had this secret hideout (which wasnt really secret but it was VERY hard to get in) so in that time we did have a goal, and we were able to find new purpose in farming and mining and scavenging. But after time, we only learn that it's inevitable and the russians enjoy turning players into bone blocks, in the midst of a gray and grim warzone. What's the point of reviving if you're going to die in a graveyard of shops and locked chests and protected zones? What's the point of thriving if monsters surround every corner populated with darkness? Where I respawn there are zero trees and zero stone to mine from. In the end, everyone saw their fate and the server was closed (or at least i havent seen it when i searched for it). That server was, i believe, called Just Test.

I also remember a server where bases and skyscrapers were built on the moon. The land was filled with neon lights and the colors of the Bob Blocks greatly contrasted that of the sand. Basically everyone tried to dominate each other in the moon, although there were rules, two which I remember: No caps, and no griefing. As I went outwards from spawn the population greatly decreased, although there were a few domes lying around. I was introduced to some players along the way, and they showed me how to mine, different types of ores (which I actually got obsessed with irl), we built really colorful bases that stuck to the theme of the moon and outer-space objects. I really loved the blocks of the CaveRealms mod, you have different glowing ores that you can use to color your space. So I decorated my base, just like that. Thing was, moderation was sooo bad in that server. Not sharing your base with other, new players? I got banned from that, sure enough. I already was aware of thieves and griefers so I didn't allow a person into my base. I created another account to start over again, and I noticed I could break some blocks in spawn? I just went on and I think we didn't really see a point in staying there anymore, just building domes and introducing new players. Eventually, people were bored so griefing happened. I'm pretty sure OldCoder - Moontest is closed right now.

How about Telesight - BuildersWorld? This server used to thrive with players, usually german or dutch or whatever... Lots of houses with lots of blocks, lots of contraptions and lots of ideas. The server kept updating and a lot of players had fun with mountains and "who can reach the highest spot" and we would sometimes create traps. Last time I was interested was when I tried to reach the farthest I could, and make a nice mansion there. I have played there for quite some time, but after that I just got bored really, close to zero players in Christmas. I was really saddened and I felt bothered... this thriving server, with 0 players? I took a break then came back... still 0 players? I had decorated my gateway with red and green, and still no one to talk to while looking at it? Eventually, I just left. And some of my blocks turned to unknown blocks, big clumps of dust which I never will know what it was in the first place.

Remember these servers "thrived" for what, 5 years? Hypixel has been thriving for like 9 years at least, and is still famous. Why? Because in Hypixel, new goals are constantly added, with new games and new perks, a lot of features are brought. But in Minetest? Just download a bunch of mods, bundle that into a server, see how long it lasts, and close the server a destroyed or abandoned world. See what's happening? The lack of goals. No rewards. A trend only lasts for a suprisingly short amount of time, look at Fall Guys. This same thing happened to them! Now while the game is still populated and still has a working development team, please add more significant updates, and focus on the goals!

Minetest is my childhood game and I miss it, but everytime I load a singleplayer world, just gives me the feeling of an old, abandoned place with rotten bodies hiding. It's like you're the only sound maker. Please, I'm begging you make better updates, don't just add stuff there. Make "seecret friday" updates if you will, you never know if they end up a big mechanic. Organize and plan these updates because you should give the player the appropriate set of goals. And give the player time to do and experiment with these goals, and make sneak peeks! The player wants to finish his goals and see how he should prepare for the next. I want you to do this so Minetest can thrive again with players, new, old, or very very old. I dont want you to end up like the Fall Guys!

voxelproof

by voxelproof » Post

kino2007 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 13:56

I think we should focus on textures, shaders, and sounds... Also I think the ambient occlusion is too dull which makes the game feel like a paper cut-out picture instead of real objects.

What do you have against paper-cut cartoonish games ?!

Minetest is my childhood game and I miss it, but everytime I load a singleplayer world, just gives me the feeling of an old, abandoned place with rotten bodies hiding.
sweet jesus, yeah

It's like you're the only sound maker.

Try Paleo_Test then. I guarantee you there're more than enough sounds in there...

And seriously: killing the Ender Dragon is not the main goal of MC as it is a classic and after all remarkably good example of the open - world genre, which also means that the gameplay is open - ended and no arbitrary goals are set beforehand by game creators. It's all up to a player to find or create such goals and after some time change them or find other ends. It's all about creativity of an individual. There are other genres which better fulfill needs of those players which prefer more linear and predetermined style of playing games.
Attachments
papercut_vertigo.jpg
papercut_vertigo.jpg (744.82 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
To miss the joy is to miss all. Robert Louis Stevenson

runs

by runs » Post

Mobs should also be more interactable with more sound effects (i think more crisp sounds effects) and interact with the blocks around them. Creepers in Minecraft explode blocks when it sees a player for a certain time, which played a huge role in the strategy. (One of the scariest things, honestly) Environment can also interact with it for example if a lightning strikes it it turns into charged creepers. And charged creepers can drop heads if they explode a mob, which is yet another interaction. See, very interesting. But in minetest, i haven't seen any of that yet.
This reminds me my WIP Bomberman model.

It is the creeper equivalent. A malevolent mob that shhhhsss before exploding in the player's face LOL.

I have to finish it.
Attachments
bomberman.png
bomberman.png (27.08 KiB) Viewed 2692 times

talamh

by talamh » Post

Off topic but, could a bomberman mini game actually be implemented in minetest - because that would be fantastic!
runs wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 22:38
This reminds me my WIP Bomberman model.

It is the creeper equivalent. A malevolent mob that shhhhsss before exploding in the player's face LOL.

I have to finish it.