Infinite world size

Minix
In-game: Minix

Re: Infinite world size

by Minix » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 16:39
I cloned already https://github.com/proller/minetest but pulling still work not.
If I remember correctly, what I did to compile my server back in early January was:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest.git
cd minetest
git checkout bc7b07af1057c38ce998085aa511a62cfdb8c115
Where the long string is the commit identifier of the first commit made by Proller, you should replace that with his latest commit. The rest of the compilation process is the same as compiling Minetest 5.5.0, except you need to pass -DUSE_POS32=1 to the cmake parameters.

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Minix wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 23:15

cd minetest
Doesn't work because bc7b07af lives in proller's repository. You need the git objects from proller's repository.
debiankaios wrote:
I cloned already https://github.com/proller/minetest but pulling still work not.
Look, there are two ways to do this. Clone proller's repository and keep it in a separate directory, or clone the main Minetest repository and fetch the extra stuff from proller's. Please understand the difference between git clone and git fetch. git clone only downloads an entirely new repository and puts it in a subdirectory of your current directory. If you clone another repository inside that one, you just get another subdirectory:

git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest
cd minetest
git clone https://github.com/proller/minetest

#Directory structure will look like this:
#home
#|---minetest #Main repository
#|   \---minetest # Proller

#If your directories look like this, go to the subdirectory to checkout proller's stuff
cd minetest
git checkout minetest32double
Correct method #1 - Separate directories
If you go into the new cloned repository you can checkout the branch there. But the subdirectory really doesn't belong there, I would put it in the same directory as your main minetest repository if you want to do it this way.

git clone https://github.com/proller/minetest minetest-proller
cd minetest-proller
Correct method #2 - One directory, objects fetched from more than one remote
Let's try to explain my previous post even more clearly. We will start from the beginning, whereas my previous instructions assumed you already had the main Minetest repository cloned. We clone the main Minetest repository, then we fetch objects from proller's one. We do not do another clone in this case because cloning is for making an entirely new repository; we use fetch because we want to add objects from another remote repository to our local copy. Once we fetch from proller's repository, we then have a local repository with objects from the main Minetest repository and proller's one at the same time. This saves disk space and lets us switch between branches in different forks easily.

git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest #This makes a new local repository
cd minetest
git remote add proller https://github.com/proller/minetest #This adds a new remote repository to our list. It does not do anything across the internet.
git fetch -a proller #This asks git to fetch objects from the remote we just added
git checkout minetest32double #Now that we have fetched the commits and branches from proller's repository, git recognises this name.
Now as proller does more work in future, any time you want to fetch his stuff,

git checkout minetest32
git status
On branch minetest32
git pull
If it says already up to date, you're good. But only if you have one of proller's branches checkout out. If you want to find out if proller has pushed anything,

git fetch -a
again.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

Blockhead wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 01:53
Minix wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 23:15

cd minetest
Doesn't work because bc7b07af lives in proller's repository. You need the git objects from proller's repository.
debiankaios wrote:
Look, there are two ways to do this. Clone proller's repository and keep it in a separate directory, or clone the main Minetest repository and fetch the extra stuff from proller's. Please understand the difference between git clone and git fetch. git clone only downloads an entirely new repository and puts it in a subdirectory of your current directory. If you clone another repository inside that one, you just get another subdirectory:

cd minetest
git clone https://github.com/proller/minetest

#Directory structure will look like this:
#home
#|---minetest #Main repository
#|   \---minetest # Proller

#If your directories look like this, go to the subdirectory to checkout proller's stuff
cd minetest
Correct method #1 - Separate directories
If you go into the new cloned repository you can checkout the branch there. But the subdirectory really doesn't belong there, I would put it in the same directory as your main minetest repository if you want to do it this way.

git clone https://github.com/proller/minetest minetest-proller
cd minetest-proller
Correct method #2 - One directory, objects fetched from more than one remote
Let's try to explain my previous post even more clearly. We will start from the beginning, whereas my previous instructions assumed you already had the main Minetest repository cloned. We clone the main Minetest repository, then we fetch objects from proller's one. We do not do another clone in this case because cloning is for making an entirely new repository; we use fetch because we want to add objects from another remote repository to our local copy. Once we fetch from proller's repository, we then have a local repository with objects from the main Minetest repository and proller's one at the same time. This saves disk space and lets us switch between branches in different forks easily.

git clone https://github.com/minetest/minetest #This makes a new local repository
cd minetest
git remote add proller https://github.com/proller/minetest #This adds a new remote repository to our list. It does not do anything across the internet.
git fetch -a proller #This asks git to fetch objects from the remote we just added
git checkout minetest32double #Now that we have fetched the commits and branches from proller's repository, git recognises this name.
Now as proller does more work in future, any time you want to fetch his stuff,

git checkout minetest32
git status
On branch minetest32
git pull
If it says already up to date, you're good. But only if you have one of proller's branches checkout out. If you want to find out if proller has pushed anything,

git fetch -a
again.
Why you don't understand. I cloned before the branch32 from https://github.com/proller/minetest then i did this steps:

git status
On branch minetest32double
git pull
All up to date.
I mean there is no difference,w why i should use it then?

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

debiankaios wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 06:17
Why you don't understand. I cloned before the branch32 from https://github.com/proller/minetest then i did this steps:

git status
On branch minetest32double
git pull
All up to date.
I mean there is no difference,w why i should use it then?
Good, you have the code on your computer. You can compile it. Run git pull to check if there have been any updates. I think now you need to clarify your original question
debiankaios wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:50
How do i clone another branch with git.
What do you actually want to do? Is anything missing or incomplete? You have the code on your computer, you can compile it, you can run Minetest. Do you want to fork it? I think this whole conversation would go better if I could write German lol.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

hey Great, i've been trying to find someone to help Me get a INFINITE World for as long as i can remember, ever since people started forking mineclonia

i'd love to see the direction broadened, at the very, very, very least, opening up when nearing a new patch of land

hopefully i can somehow apply It to My Game (so i don't have to start over)

not sure if It would work on other applications, like "NodeCore", but we have been deserving something like This for Quite some Time

as long as It doesn't break the World, It's worth using, with an ominous presence of the universe, we'll be getting to where we need to be in no Time at all, and luckily we can back up our most precious data, if something goes wrong or we play a forked version of say Hades: Revisited

who knows how DEEP the engine can go though, or what is even down there, Lava? Hell? Artifacts?

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

A new bug with minetest32:

debiankaios@devuan:~/minetest32$ cmake -DUSE_POS32=1 -DENABLE_POSTGRESQL=ON .
-- *** Will build version 5.6.0-dev ***
-- Using user-provided IrrlichtMt at subdirectory 'lib/irrlichtmt'
-- *** Building IrrlichtMt 1.9.0 ***
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_OGLES1_
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_OGLES1_ - not found
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_OGLES2_
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_OGLES2_ - not found
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_OPENGL_
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_OPENGL_ - found
-- Looking for _IRR_LINUX_X11_XINPUT2_
-- Looking for _IRR_LINUX_X11_XINPUT2_ - not found
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_SDL_DEVICE_
-- Looking for _IRR_COMPILE_WITH_SDL_DEVICE_ - not found
-- Found IrrlichtMt 
-- Using GMP provided by system.
-- Using JsonCpp provided by system.
-- Using LuaJIT provided by system.
-- cURL support enabled.
-- GetText enabled; locales found: ar;be;bg;ca;cs;da;de;dv;el;eo;es;et;eu;fi;fil;fr;gd;gl;he;hi;hu;id;it;ja;jbo;kk;kn;ko;ky;lt;lv;lzh;mr;ms;ms_Arab;nb;nl;nn;pl;pt;pt_BR;ro;ru;sk;sl;sr_Cyrl;sr_Latn;sv;sw;th;tr;tt;uk;vi;yue;zh_CN;zh_TW
-- Sound enabled.
-- ncurses console enabled.
-- PostgreSQL backend enabled
-- PostgreSQL includes: /usr/include/postgresql
-- LevelDB not found!
-- Redis not found!
-- Prometheus client disabled.
-- SpatialIndex not found!
-- Looking for ZSTD_initCStream
-- Looking for ZSTD_initCStream - found
-- Locale blacklist applied; Locales used: be;bg;ca;cs;da;de;el;eo;es;et;eu;fi;fil;fr;gd;gl;hu;id;it;ja;jbo;kk;ko;ky;lt;lv;lzh;mr;ms;nb;nl;nn;pl;pt;pt_BR;ro;ru;sk;sl;sr_Cyrl;sr_Latn;sv;sw;tr;tt;uk;vi;yue;zh_CN;zh_TW
-- Could NOT find Doxygen (missing: DOXYGEN_EXECUTABLE) 
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/debiankaios/minetest32
debiankaios@devuan:~/minetest32$ make
[  0%] mo update
[ 21%] Built target translations
-- *** Detected Git version 5.6.0-dev-dded77eb1 ***
[ 21%] Built target GenerateVersion
Scanning dependencies of target IRROTHEROBJ
[ 21%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRROTHEROBJ.dir/CIrrDeviceSDL.cpp.o
[ 21%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRROTHEROBJ.dir/Irrlicht.cpp.o
[ 22%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRROTHEROBJ.dir/os.cpp.o
[ 23%] Built target IRROTHEROBJ
[ 25%] Built target IRRMESHOBJ
Scanning dependencies of target IRRVIDEOOBJ
[ 25%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRRVIDEOOBJ.dir/COpenGLCacheHandler.cpp.o
[ 25%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRRVIDEOOBJ.dir/COpenGLDriver.cpp.o
[ 25%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRRVIDEOOBJ.dir/COpenGLShaderMaterialRenderer.cpp.o
[ 25%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRRVIDEOOBJ.dir/COpenGLSLMaterialRenderer.cpp.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRRVIDEOOBJ.dir/COpenGLExtensionHandler.cpp.o
[ 26%] Building CXX object lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CMakeFiles/IRRVIDEOOBJ.dir/CGLXManager.cpp.o
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CGLXManager.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool irr::video::CGLXManager::generateContext()’:
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/lib/irrlichtmt/source/Irrlicht/CGLXManager.cpp:341:4: warning: ‘context’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
  341 |    if (!context)
      |    ^~
[ 31%] Built target IRRVIDEOOBJ
[ 33%] Built target IRRIOOBJ
[ 35%] Built target IRROBJ
[ 40%] Built target IRRGUIOBJ
[ 40%] Linking CXX static library ../../lib/Linux/libIrrlichtMt.a
[ 40%] Built target IrrlichtMt
Scanning dependencies of target minetest
[ 40%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/activeobjectmgr.cpp.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/camera.cpp.o
[ 41%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/client.cpp.o
[ 41%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/clientenvironment.cpp.o
[ 41%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/clientlauncher.cpp.o
[ 41%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/clientmap.cpp.o
[ 41%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/clientmedia.cpp.o
[ 42%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/clientobject.cpp.o
[ 42%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/clouds.cpp.o
[ 42%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/content_cao.cpp.o
[ 42%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/content_cso.cpp.o
[ 42%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/content_mapblock.cpp.o
[ 43%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/filecache.cpp.o
[ 43%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/fontengine.cpp.o
[ 43%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/game.cpp.o
[ 43%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/gameui.cpp.o
[ 43%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/guiscalingfilter.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/hud.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/imagefilters.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/inputhandler.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/joystick_controller.cpp.o
[ 44%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/keycode.cpp.o
[ 45%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/localplayer.cpp.o
[ 45%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/mapblock_mesh.cpp.o
[ 45%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/mesh.cpp.o
[ 45%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/mesh_generator_thread.cpp.o
[ 45%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/meshgen/collector.cpp.o
[ 46%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/minimap.cpp.o
[ 46%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/particles.cpp.o
[ 46%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/anaglyph.cpp.o
[ 46%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/core.cpp.o
[ 46%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/factory.cpp.o
[ 47%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/interlaced.cpp.o
[ 47%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/pageflip.cpp.o
[ 47%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/plain.cpp.o
[ 47%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/sidebyside.cpp.o
[ 47%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/render/stereo.cpp.o
[ 48%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/renderingengine.cpp.o
[ 48%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/shader.cpp.o
[ 48%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/shadows/dynamicshadows.cpp.o
[ 48%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/shadows/dynamicshadowsrender.cpp.o
[ 48%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/shadows/shadowsScreenQuad.cpp.o
[ 49%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/shadows/shadowsshadercallbacks.cpp.o
[ 49%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/sky.cpp.o
[ 49%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/sound.cpp.o
[ 49%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/sound_openal.cpp.o
[ 49%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/tile.cpp.o
[ 50%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/client/wieldmesh.cpp.o
[ 50%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/content/content.cpp.o
[ 50%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/content/mods.cpp.o
[ 50%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/content/subgames.cpp.o
[ 51%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/database/database-dummy.cpp.o
[ 51%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/database/database-files.cpp.o
[ 51%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/database/database-leveldb.cpp.o
[ 51%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/database/database-postgresql.cpp.o
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/src/database/database-postgresql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void PlayerDatabasePostgreSQL::savePlayer(RemotePlayer*)’:
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/src/database/database-postgresql.cpp:465:32: error: conversion from ‘vector3d<double>’ to non-scalar type ‘vector3d<float>’ requested
  465 |  v3f pos = sao->getBasePosition();
      |            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/src/database/database-postgresql.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool PlayerDatabasePostgreSQL::loadPlayer(RemotePlayer*, PlayerSAO*)’:
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/src/database/database-postgresql.cpp:562:23: error: cannot convert ‘v3f’ {aka ‘irr::core::vector3d<float>’} to ‘const v3opos_t&’ {aka ‘const irr::core::vector3d<double>&’}
  562 |  sao->setBasePosition(v3f(
      |                       ^~~~
      |                       |
      |                       v3f {aka irr::core::vector3d<float>}
  563 |   pg_to_float(results, 0, 2),
      |   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  564 |   pg_to_float(results, 0, 3),
  565 |   pg_to_float(results, 0, 4))
In file included from /home/debiankaios/minetest32/src/database/database-postgresql.cpp:40:
/home/debiankaios/minetest32/src/server/player_sao.h:90:39: note:   initializing argument 1 of ‘void PlayerSAO::setBasePosition(const v3opos_t&)’
   90 |  void setBasePosition(const v3opos_t &position);
      |                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/build.make:784: src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/database/database-postgresql.cpp.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:698: src/CMakeFiles/minetest.dir/all] Fehler 2
make: *** [Makefile:171: all] Fehler 2
I can't compile minetest32 with postgres :(. Please fix it

proller

by proller » Post

fixed

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

deleted

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

It seems that above 31000 nothing will generated:

minetest.register_biome({
  name = "Stoneland",
  node_top = "pxs_default:proxima_sand",
  depth_top = 1,
  node_filler = "pxs_default:proxima_stone",
  depth_filler = 3,
  node_stone = "pxs_default:proxima_stone",
  node_riverbed = "pxs_default:mars_stone",
  depth_riverbed = 2,
  node_dungeon = "pxs_default:mars_stone",
  node_dungeon_stair = "pxs_default:mars_stone",
  y_max = 31000,
  y_min = -31000,
  heat_point = 92,
  humidity_point = 16,
})

minetest.register_decoration({
    name = "pxs_default:alienflower",
		deco_type = "simple",
		place_on = {"pxs_default:proxima_sand"},
    sidelen = 16,
		fill_ratio = 0.0001,
		biomes = {"Stoneland"},
		y_max = 31000,
		y_min = 0,
		decoration = "pxs_default:alienflower",
    spawn_by = "air",
	})

name = "pxs_default:tiny_proxima_stone",
    deco_type = "simple",
    sidelen = 4,
    fill_ratio = 0.005,
    biomes = {"Stoneland"},
    y_max = 31000,
    y_min = 0,
    decoration = "pxs_default:tiny_proxima_stone",
})
elseif multiple_planets then
  minetest.register_biome({
    name = "Stoneland",
    node_top = "pxs_default:proxima_sand",
    depth_top = 1,
    node_filler = "pxs_default:proxima_stone",
    depth_filler = 3,
    node_stone = "pxs_default:proxima_stone",
    node_riverbed = "pxs_default:mars_stone",
    depth_riverbed = 2,
    node_dungeon = "pxs_default:mars_stone",
    node_dungeon_stair = "pxs_default:mars_stone",
    y_max = 93000,
    y_min = 31000,
    heat_point = 92,
    humidity_point = 16,
  })

name = "pxs_default:alienflower",
  		deco_type = "simple",
      sidelen = 16,
  		fill_ratio = 0.0001,
  		biomes = {"Stoneland"},
  		y_max = 93000,
  		y_min = 62000,
  		decoration = "pxs_default:alienflower",
      spawn_by = "air",
  	})

name = "pxs_default:tiny_proxima_stone",
      deco_type = "simple",
      sidelen = 4,
      fill_ratio = 0.005,
      biomes = {"Stoneland"},
      y_max = 93000,
      y_min = 62000,
      decoration = "pxs_default:tiny_proxima_stone",
  })
You can test self:

https://gitlab.com/debiankaios/proxima_survival
Activate experimental features and more planets then proxima centauri b and teleport you. You'll see that the biomes not got generated.

0siribix
GitHub: 0siribix
In-game: 0siribix

by 0siribix » Post

@proller: I think I remember seeing that what you are doing is more of a temp fix or interim thing than a permanent fix? Can you expand on that or correct if I'm wrong?

proller

by proller » Post

This is final solution but incomplete at this moment.
First step.
Playable but without backward compatibility (should be done in next pr's)

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

still no infinite size, Here, Testy-Testies??

come on miners, let's make It happen another day another dollar am i right

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

DOOM_possum wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 19:05
still no infinite size
You won't get infinite size in a finite system. It's all about practical infinity* There is also a lot of work done already with "minetest32" and there is still a lot of work to do. But it already looks much, much better than in the past. So larger world sizes are definitely possible.
Spoiler
* When you cannot traverse the world with the travel options given to you by the unmodified normal gameplay during the time a game session lasts you have practical infinity. In this situation it is not relevant how large the world is because you cannot reach the end before the game is over.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I think there I a good case to make that +-32000 nodes is not practical infinity, at least for many of the usecases imagined by content creators here.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

They're talking about Proller's open PR, which would double the size of pos from a signed 16-bit to a signed 32-bit, which would bring us from 32k up to around 2 billion nodes in every direction.
Not literal infinity, but as close as you're ever going to need. Proller's PR probably won't go in as-is though, as apparently it breaks things pretty hard. It remains to be seen if he can find a way to do it that won't, e.g., break network compatibility with older clients.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

yeah 32 thousand to 1 billion definitely would be all the space we would need. If nothing else, I hope it goes in in 6.0

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

MisterE wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 02:19
yeah 32 thousand to 1 billion definitely would be all the space we would need. If nothing else, I hope it goes in in 6.0
5.6 or 6.0? I hope it come so early like possible. But biome generating not work there to time.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

if there is no way to make it compatible with current clients then 6.0 is the next best option.

debiankaios

by debiankaios » Post

I guess it is.

proller

by proller » Post

Next step with compatible network
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/12142

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

… aaand its closed. You’re too fast for MT development :D

Also: It’s not approved right now and likely won’t being added within the next 3-6 years.

Maybe do a fork?

jwmhjwmh
Developer
GitHub: TurkeyMcMac

by jwmhjwmh » Post

I think proller's PRs are on the agenda for the next dev meeting: https://dev.minetest.net/Meetings#2022-.3F.3F-.3F.3F

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

jwmhjwmh wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 23:08
I think proller's PRs are on the agenda for the next dev meeting: https://dev.minetest.net/Meetings#2022-.3F.3F-.3F.3F
Reading all (most) comments on this, it’s generally seen as “nah, we better don’t”.

proller

by proller » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 22:38
Maybe do a fork?
AGAIN?

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Last time it worked out very well :)