JavaScript for moddding

drkwv
GitHub: aa6

Re: JavaScript for moddding

by drkwv » Post

Talking about GitHub: first thing Microsoft did when bought it is to suspend my old account with minetest mods so I have to create a new one.

And talking about Microsoft: dear Jeffrey from a Mojang support still doesn't answer my request to migrate the Minecraft accounts I bought in 2010 to a new emails although I submitted it in 2019 and more than a year and a half passed. Probably I should find some time to submit the request THIRD time. They only restored my access to only one account ever since. And I bought five - for me and my friends.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

drkwv wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 08:58
Talking about GitHub: first thing Microsoft did when bought it is to suspend my old account with minetest mods so I have to create a new one.
When moving away from MS GitHub I left my account with icon and message leading to my new location. Microsoft renamed my account and gave my account's original name to someone else without noticing me about this.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

TypeScript is very nice, it makes writing JavaScript much more enjoyable. It's completely open source and cross platform. It doesn't drag users to MS's environment

One reason that companies open source their libraries is because it helps them recruit developers. It's easier to find people that know how to use a popular library than it is for an internal proprietary tool

I don't like Microsoft as a company, but TypeScript is nice and perfectly fine. It's one of the few technologies that MS has got right
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

I think it is important to clarify this "bullshit reason" is that 'main' is more translatable to more languages and is promoting an anti-racist rhetoric and takes less than 3 minutes for anyone who knows git to fix. I think it is a perfectly reasonable and positive thing to do. For more actual first-hand details, see: https://github.com/github/renaming

This is my opinion though, and by the sounds of your take, you don't see it the same way. And I don't think any discussion of this would go anywhere, so I've said my piece and am done.

---
Rubenwardy wrote:TypeScript is very nice, it makes writing JavaScript much more enjoyable. It's completely open source and cross platform. It doesn't drag users to MS's environment
Back to discussing TypeScript itself, I agree with Ruben's first statement, and don't see how TypeScript can drag people into MS's environment aside from completely optional benefits found in things like VSCode Intellisense. There's no lock to any other Microsoft code, there's no requirement to use TypeScript with other Microsoft products like Xamarin, etc.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

There is no incompatibility here. The default branches in Git aren't hardcoded. When you create a git repository using git or GitHub, it chooses a branch name for you but you can change this later.

Creating a repo on GitHub chooses "main" and plain Git chooses "master". Plain Git has a warning that their choice will change in the future, which may be an indication that they're planning on changing this.

The name change doesn't affect existing repositories. You can still push master to GitHub, and Git will still work well with main on GitHub

You are clearly biased here and are perceiving issues where there are none. There are plenty of other reasons to dislike Microsoft without doing this
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 01:54
You are clearly biased here and are perceiving issues where there are none.
You clearly don't see the issue with this. If it were an official change coming from Git, fine. But it's clearly a change coming from Microsoft in order to make 100% of all common tutorials useless if someone uses MS GitHub.

But that's okay. Just continue fighting for Microsoft.

philipbenr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 00:38
completely optional
They laughed at me when I was concerned about Microsoft making Skype worse, and they did. They laughed at me when I was concerned about Microsoft ruining Minecraft, and they did, they now laugh at me because I am concerned about Microsoft ruining GitHub. They don't do it overnight but they do it. Slowly and steadily.

They're not dumb. The Gates times are long forgotten (Embrace, Extend, Extinguish), the Ballmer times are over ("Linux is cancer"), and now we're in the Nadella times - and he clearly knows The Art of War (everyone should read this, btw.!).
philipbenr wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 00:38
There's no lock to any other Microsoft code
Yet.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

Luarocks, I rest my case
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

v-rob
Developer
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob

by v-rob » Post

Sheesh, when will this topic die? ;-P
Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass

Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

It should have been closed years ago.

Extex
GitHub: Extex101
In-game: Extex

by Extex » Post

Sorry I just saw it in the feature discussion and thought of the pun. I couldn't resist
Creator of jelys_pizzaria and motorbike, and player of persistent kingdoms. RIP

c56
GitHub: tigercoding56
In-game: bm5 or bemo5 also sell_her_on55

by c56 » Post

if you want to make mods in Javascript just code youre own interpreter that converts them to lua then puts it in the /minetest/mods directory and then starts minetest for you
and then to puplish it give people the lua version
this is a signature not a place to post messages also if i could change my username i would change it to sell_her_on55