Steps or half height blocks

Zarberman

by Zarberman » Post

i would not mind having crafting tables either. as others have stated, having a limited crafting space would add the survival aspect to the game, instead of just running around building stuff.
my website (still in testing) www.gameri.webs.com

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Zarberman wrote:i would not mind having crafting tables either. as others have stated, having a limited crafting space would add the survival aspect to the game, instead of just running around building stuff.
Maybe add a crafting table with 4x4 or 5x5? This would give new recipes possibility :)
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

neko259 wrote:
Zarberman wrote:i would not mind having crafting tables either. as others have stated, having a limited crafting space would add the survival aspect to the game, instead of just running around building stuff.
Maybe add a crafting table with 4x4 or 5x5? This would give new recipes possibility :)
I agree the crafting table should be larger maybe 4x4? (although 5x5 would be nice also would mean a lot of new combinations for crafting recipes) and the player inventory as 2x2

qyron

by qyron » Post

sapier wrote:Ok Ok seems at least this aspect (crafting table) needs to be copied ;-)

BTW minetest wouldn't be that easy if you had animals mod making nights really dangerous ;-)
Agreed. But lets, please, leave monsters out. Having dangerous wild animals on the hunt for your hide during the night sounds a lot more appealing than the whole zombie+skeleton+whatever routine (and I'm a Diablo fan).

Animals on the surface and monsters in dungeons. To each, its own.

And occasionally (very, very rarely) you can be visited by unwelcome guests: I had a DM pay me a visit during the night when I was busy building a structure. The ending? I died.

Now I get inside a hole as soon as dusk comes.
Minetest is not Minecraft. Stop trying to make them look alike.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

New crafting items like buckets should be marked in the wiki at which revision they were added (or removed).

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:New crafting items like buckets should be marked in the wiki at which revision they were added (or removed).
Yeh I just added "(Only in 0.4+)" to the bucket in the wiki crafting page while I was removing a item someone had added (which isn't in the vanilla Minetest ¬_¬)

J0nnJ0nes

by J0nnJ0nes » Post

Since some stuff I wanted to suggest is already mentioned here, I'll just add-on to it.

First of all, copying minecraft is not an issue. You have to understand that these things are basic concepts, not innovative ideas. For instance, writing in a forum ... you're copying off the original idea that someone came up with (believe it or not, online forums were not always around).

Although, there's always room for improvement on ideas. For instance, in minecraft, slabs can only be placed on the ground flat. Why not place them on the bottom of blocks too? Or maybe slabs standing up on their edges? (Mostly for lack of any use except aesthetic atm, but still.)

What I was thinking more of was wedges, as was mentioned. (That is definitely NOT minecraft! More legos, in fact. Maybe that should be the better direction to head... lego-like.) At the moment, 45 degree angle wedges are all that's needed, to make all kinds of things, like wooden beams, bridges, etc. It would look TONS better than anything in minecraft. The only issue would be orientation: one type of slab has to slant up from your level and another would be slanted on the under-side (i.e. the other half of the slab).

Another idea would be quarter-blocks. (It's not excessive ... consider the complexity of fences.) You would, however, need 3 types:
1) A vertical quarter-block, standing like a fence. This would be placed in the far left corner of a normal block, instead of the middle like a fence. It's position would be based on your orientation, so that you could get that quarter-block at any corner.
2) A horizontal quarter-block, flat on the ground like a branch. This would be placed in the upper-distal part of a normal block, like the top step of stairs.
3) Another horizontal quarter-block, flat on the ground like a branch. This would be placed in the lower-proximal part of a normal block, like the bottom step of stairs.

Note: I don't think you can make steps this way, because you would have to put 2 and 3 types on the same block ... an interesting prospect, but sounds problematic. Best to make stairs separately.

These quarter-blocks would allow for finer details in making things, to have a much more realistic look and feel.

P.S. These may not be original ideas ... blame lego and copy-cats.
Last edited by J0nnJ0nes on Mon Feb 06, 2012 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

We should keep to topic at hand. Half height blocks to save our poor space bars.

Someone wants to start a thread for Crafting Tables please. Looks like a great topic.