World creation - Rivers, streams and ponds.

Michael Eh?

World creation - Rivers, streams and ponds.

by Michael Eh? » Post

What would add to minetest is rivers, streams, springs, etc. Inland water about the sea level.

I made by hand the following image using several buckets of water. Faking a stone cropping for spring in the background. Digged a channel for the water with couple of ponds (3x3) along the way. Of course, this would require a major rewrite of the world generation code adding a whole routine of erosion. Though I have seen it with sand in gravel being dragged through caves so parts of the routine exists and could be used.

Thoughts?

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:What would add to minetest is rivers, streams, springs, etc. Inland water about the sea level.

I made by hand the following image using several buckets of water. Faking a stone cropping for spring in the background. Digged a channel for the water with couple of ponds (3x3) along the way. Of course, this would require a major rewrite of the world generation code adding a whole routine of erosion. Though I have seen it with sand in gravel being dragged through caves so parts of the routine exists and could be used.

Thoughts?
The Map-Generator is rewritten
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Post

sfan5 wrote: The Map-Generator is rewritten
Are rivers and ponds now added?

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

No
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

You can make a mod which generates rivers.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

by kddekadenz » Post

That sucks :/

Tim

by Tim » Post

I prefer having it randomly generated. It makes finding a nice, large and pretty lake actually something special, rather than just the 400th lake or river you've seen that hour.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Tim wrote:I prefer having it randomly generated. It makes finding a nice, large and pretty lake actually something special, rather than just the 400th lake or river you've seen that hour.
+1 Agreed this would be a nice addition to the map generator ^_^

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Tim wrote:I prefer having it randomly generated. It makes finding a nice, large and pretty lake actually something special, rather than just the 400th lake or river you've seen that hour.
If you make them as a mod, you can add some randomness depending on already generated terrain just like in more ores mod.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I just threw this idea out there. If we get to see this in some revision down the road is yet to be seen. Of course, I don't have any mods so throwing in stuff like cattails, sand, fish, etc to make it more appleasing. It was more of trying out the bucket and seeing how water way would have to cut it's way across the landscape with the flow of water.

Since we're cutting a new course from that other mine game, we need to look at what's missing from MC that we wish it had.

I hope if this gets to be a mod that the best mods will become standard.