Vector Textures.

spootonium

Vector Textures.

by spootonium » Post

I know that in theory, SVG texturing is entirely possible within Irrlicht, even advantageous (compared to high-resolution, bitmap textures), but I wondered if it could perheps be technically feasible to implement within Minetest.
I write code. Sometimes, it even works.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

Re: Vector Textures.

by sfan5 » Post

I don't think it would make much sense to implement this into Minetest.
If you want vector textures simply render them at the desired resolution.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

emugod

by emugod » Post

This would be a good thing to ask one of the active engine developers about. It seems like something that might be a matter of literally just enabling. I couldn't see much use for it, though. Maybe it could be combined with the tessellation (does minetest even use any tessellation?) somehow, for an interesting effect.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

The other possibility would be to have Minetest render each SVG to a pixel map on import. Give a default resolution size with which to render the SVGs (e.g. "svg_size=128,128" in minetest.conf), and provide a texture syntax so that it can be overridden for an individual texture (e.g. "[svg;size=64,64:myPic.svg"). Then no one has to worry about how it affects Irrlicht and OpenGL; all that is needed is a library that can render an SVG in a stand-alone context.

What I like about this is that it allows texture packs to automatically resize themselves to match the user's other textures or desired resolution. Instead of having to publish six different versions per texture pack....

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Another way would be to have the engine use the vector textures to do a kind of realtme mipmaping.

Ok, sorry, i know this would be pretty hard.