Wishes for Minetest 0.4.11 (or 0.5)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

Re: Wishes for Minetest 0.4.11 (or 0.5)

by Calinou » Post

brep wrote:I haven't tried the pocket edition, but I can say for sure that minetest loads significantly slower than minecraft computer edition, even for modded worlds on a person's computer.
Disable “Preload item visuals” in the options.

Remember that unlike Minecraft, you don't have to log in to a central server every time you play. There's no splash screen either.

jp
Banned
GitHub: kilbith

by jp » Post

One of my wishes for 0.4.11 : a smart highlighting (semi-transparent bright field) instead of a collisionbox & dark edges.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

What exactly does preloading item visuals do, anyway? I didn't notice a difference in appearence when I disabled it at one time to make it load faster. Maybe it should be disabled by default?

Krock
Developer
GitHub: SmallJoker

by Krock » Post

onpon4 wrote:What exactly does preloading item visuals do, anyway? I didn't notice a difference in appearence when I disabled it at one time to make it load faster. Maybe it should be disabled by default?
It preloads the textures of nodes/items.
Already disabled: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/commit/d7bcde6
Look, I programmed a bug for you. >> Mod Search Engine << - Mods by Krock - DuckDuckGo mod search bang: !mtmod <keyword here>

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

For the next version I would like to see many bugfixes, better support for mobs and to include several subgames (and mods) by default.
For mobs a engine side tool wear out would be enough for me to consider them usable. (At least 2D ones.)

playzooki

by playzooki » Post

Id like to see waves at sea, probably aint gonna happen. Maybe bring back dungeons, but rarer and bigger so its like a boss battle.

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

Currently, when flowing fluid hits unloaded blocks it acts as if it hit a solid barrier and starts to flow along it. This creates very strange phenomenon with the sky filled with water or lava. AND, since it has a tendency to create phantom sources, just loading the blocks beneath the stoppage will not correct the problem. You have to actually pass through or build into each of the phantom sources.

It occurred to me today that there MIGHT be a simple solution that would greatly reduce the annoyance of this problem. What if, when fluids hit an unloaded block, they simply stopped flowing? And didn't start flowing again until all of the blocks around them were loaded again.

Now, obviously, this wouldn't be a perfect solution. But it would stop fluids in the sky from being "OH NO! It's going everywhere and is going to flood/burn EVERYTHING!" to, "Hmmm, that water/lava fall stopped. Guess I'll have to build a bridge up there to get it flowing again."

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Kilarin wrote:Currently, when flowing fluid hits unloaded blocks it acts as if it hit a solid barrier and starts to flow along it. This creates very strange phenomenon with the sky filled with water or lava. AND, since it has a tendency to create phantom sources, just loading the blocks beneath the stoppage will not correct the problem. You have to actually pass through or build into each of the phantom sources.

It occurred to me today that there MIGHT be a simple solution that would greatly reduce the annoyance of this problem. What if, when fluids hit an unloaded block, they simply stopped flowing? And didn't start flowing again until all of the blocks around them were loaded again.

Now, obviously, this wouldn't be a perfect solution. But it would stop fluids in the sky from being "OH NO! It's going everywhere and is going to flood/burn EVERYTHING!" to, "Hmmm, that water/lava fall stopped. Guess I'll have to build a bridge up there to get it flowing again."
YES, this! Really not that hard to code either, as far as I could guess.

Another idea would be a slightly more toned-down cavegen in mgv6. It's ridiculous to have the world grief itself...
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

+1 on stopping fluids falling into unloaded areas...

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Made a report of the issue of GitHub: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1558

Seems like requests such as these get answered quicker by the right people when they are posted on GitHub rather than here...

EDIT: Also reported the cavegen issue: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/1559
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Post

I've poked at Minetest on and off for a while so pardon me if I miss something that is already implemented. Also, pardon me if I refer to things in *coughcough*.

* Mouse inversion. I learned flight sims before FPS so to me moving the mouse up is look down.

* Something akin to NEI as a default mod. For those unfamiliar with NEI it is a mod which allows the player to look up recipes in game. It also lets the player traverse the recipes to also learn what items can be used to create and how to create the items. As for being default it is one of those features which really helps every other mod in existence.

* Proximity pick-up. Right now items are retrieved right clicking on them. Great when you're breaking blocks, horrible when you're trying to retrieve dropped items with small hit boxes (like saplings).

* Launcher allow for mod bundles. Coupled with that, have two mod bundles added by default. The first being a feature match to vanilla *coughcough* for people coming over. The second being one that includes all the quality mods that are present, regardless of their feature set being available (or not) in other games. EDIT: Ah, I see there is a term for this. Games. The Launcher should include a selection of games so the new and transitioning user can hop right in to something robust then branch out from there.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

greydmiyu wrote:I've poked at Minetest on and off for a while so pardon me if I miss something that is already implemented. Also, pardon me if I refer to things in *coughcough*.

* Mouse inversion. I learned flight sims before FPS so to me moving the mouse up is look down.

* Something akin to NEI as a default mod. For those unfamiliar with NEI it is a mod which allows the player to look up recipes in game. It also lets the player traverse the recipes to also learn what items can be used to create and how to create the items. As for being default it is one of those features which really helps every other mod in existence.

* Proximity pick-up. Right now items are retrieved right clicking on them. Great when you're breaking blocks, horrible when you're trying to retrieve dropped items with small hit boxes (like saplings).

* Launcher allow for mod bundles. Coupled with that, have two mod bundles added by default. The first being a feature match to vanilla *coughcough* for people coming over. The second being one that includes all the quality mods that are present, regardless of their feature set being available (or not) in other games. EDIT: Ah, I see there is a term for this. Games. The Launcher should include a selection of games so the new and transitioning user can hop right in to something robust then branch out from there.
For NEI, see unified_inventory. For proximity pick up, see item_drop.
Back from the dead!

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

greydmiyu wrote: * Something akin to NEI as a default mod. For those unfamiliar with NEI it is a mod which allows the player to look up recipes in game. It also lets the player traverse the recipes to also learn what items can be used to create and how to create the items. As for being default it is one of those features which really helps every other mod in existence.
unified_inventory has such functions. In addition, it comes with bags and a sethome function. It's a very recommendable mod.
greydmiyu wrote: * Proximity pick-up. Right now items are retrieved right clicking on them. Great when you're breaking blocks, horrible when you're trying to retrieve dropped items with small hit boxes (like saplings).
Some selection boxes are indeed too small. With minetst_next, they got smaller than before. The technic mod comes with item pickup.
greydmiyu wrote: * Launcher allow for mod bundles. Coupled with that, have two mod bundles added by default. The first being a feature match to vanilla *coughcough* for people coming over. The second being one that includes all the quality mods that are present, regardless of their feature set being available (or not) in other games. EDIT: Ah, I see there is a term for this. Games. The Launcher should include a selection of games so the new and transitioning user can hop right in to something robust then branch out from there.
A very extensive game for players who wish to build is Dreambuilder.
A list of my mods can be found here.

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Post

Sokomine wrote:A very extensive game for players who wish to build is Dreambuilder.
Yup, found that after my post, definitely going to give that a try right now. :)

greydmiyu

by greydmiyu » Post

Just to answer one of my wishes...
greydmiyu wrote:* Mouse inversion. I learned flight sims before FPS so to me moving the mouse up is look down.
It is there. Add "mouse_invert=true" to minetest.conf. So my request is really "Mouse inversion as an option in the GUI." But that could be expended to a much better GUI for all configuration options.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

It would be great if moving stuff from inventory to chest and vice-versa would be smooth and not disappearing completely, re-appearing on both locations and disappearing on old locations in a time period of two seconds for the whole process.

AgentNagel42
In-game: AgentNagel42

by AgentNagel42 » Post

I would be very happy to see an upgrade of the shaders. :)
My Youtube Channel "NoobsPlayGames": https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaqGwT ... j_qpqNTyOQ

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

AgentNagel42 wrote:I would be very happy to see an upgrade of the shaders. :)
I once asked RealBadAngel if normal maps generated on the fly could have parallax mapping, but he stated that the feat would be far too resource intensive. That is sad, since almost nobody ever uses that feature when making textures.

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

I wish I could configure the mouse buttons. I'd like to have "jump" assigned to the right mouse button and "drop item" to the middle mouse button.

Also my mouse has two thumb buttons which I qould like to use.

lag01
GitHub: AndrejIT
IRC: lag01
In-game: lag

by lag01 » Post

Rochambeau wrote:I wish I could configure the mouse buttons. I'd like to have "jump" assigned to the right mouse button and "drop item" to the middle mouse button.

Also my mouse has two thumb buttons which I qould like to use.
Here is very advanced tool to remap keys/buttons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey

lag01

by lag01 » Post

Would be good if register_on_chat_message could cancel original message. Than people could easer create mods like chat groups, anti-swear, may-be even on-the-fly language translators.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

lag01 wrote:Would be good if register_on_chat_message could cancel original message. Than people could easer create mods like chat groups, anti-swear, may-be even on-the-fly language translators.
It can't cancel the original message on the client's machine as it has already been displayed. It can cancel it being sent to other clients. (return true in register_on_chat_message)

This is how it works:
  • Player A press send button on chat window
  • The message is added to the chat on Player A's screen
  • The message is sent to the server
  • The server reads the message, and calls any register_on_chat_message
  • If the chat message callbacks did not return true, then the message is sent to ALL of the players, except the one that sent it.
Please note that minetest.chat_send_all() does not work like this. It just sends the message to all players.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

lag01

by lag01 » Post

It can cancel it being sent to other clients. (return true in register_on_chat_message)
Thank you! Now i understand!

Rochambeau

by Rochambeau » Post

lag01 wrote: Here is very advanced tool to remap keys/buttons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey
Since I am not using Windows, is there a Linux equivalent?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Rochambeau wrote:
lag01 wrote: Here is very advanced tool to remap keys/buttons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoHotkey
Since I am not using Windows, is there a Linux equivalent?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+equivalent+of+autohotkey
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader