[Game] The End [alpha v1.0.4]

Yvanhoe

Re: [Game] The End [alpha v1.0.4]

by Yvanhoe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 02:27

Eran, I'd love if you said if you have a specific goal in mind with that game, to know which advice are welcomed. I assume the atmosphere and setting is what you are focused on and need help with the game mechanics but please do tell if this assumption is wrong!

I really like the atmosphere you created and even Wuzzy's flying fortress look awesome in that setting. Reminds me of The Forge in Loom actually.

I think a lot of people making games with minetest are too scared to touch two of its core mechanics and that tend to break regular games: mining and building. Both are actually hard and long actions in real life, but in the regular game, they are super fast. Digging a tunnel is normally a team achievement. Setting up a stone wall is harder than dropping a pebble in the ground. In a typical zombie game, building defenses faster than they are broken is typically the focus.

I think you can solve the walling-off problem by making building much more difficult: Remove the possibility to place nodes altogether except for a few designed exceptions: a bunch of sticks can make a small, weak barricade node (can be broken when hit, can burn) and nothing can be built over it, so it is necessarily one node high. It can still almost block a two blocks-high tunnel.

Maybe add the possibility to upgrade the barricade with more wood, planks or sticks, making it go from weak to medium, to strong. Allow to build a weaker type over a barricade (you can build a weak barricade node over a medium one). At one point add stone, mortar to reinforce it, etc... I think it would also make sense to have HP for the different nodes.

To make mining harder, it would not be fun to require one hour of mining to get one block, but you can make tools break more often, add a lot of hard rock like marble, forcing players to mine around these (or use explosives!)

One of the things I wanted to experiment with, to make things more realistic and to make mining more logistics-intensive, making carts an actual necessity, would be to continue allow a huge inventory for objects, but forbid to have more than a few blocks in it, maybe starting with forbidding to stack mined nodes.

With these, maintaining an attacked barricade, where some people would mine for stones and pebbles, other making mortars, other protecting the repairers, it can become more of a team game!

In such a situation, I think the most effective strategy becomes to create a very deep moat, (floodable with lava for extra fun!) which starts to be more realistic.

Eran

Re: [Game] The End [alpha v1.0.4]

by Eran » Thu Sep 12, 2019 06:30

Yvanhoe wrote:Eran, I'd love if you said if you have a specific goal in mind with that game, to know which advice are welcomed. I assume the atmosphere and setting is what you are focused on and need help with the game mechanics but please do tell if this assumption is wrong!

My goal is to make some sort of binary: Either you're feeling like you're getting overwhelmed or you're feeling like you're kicking ass. A good suggestion is one that makes me want to work on this, that gets me excited. This probably works best when they're vague but I get that you yourself get excited too and want to work out something elaborated. I don't think I need help on gameplay that much. Rewriting or replacing the pathfinder and improving mob spawning will propably already do wonders.

I don't want to make building hard because I want people to have epic castles (like Wuzzy's, just with mobs that can still threaten it) to defend. Making mobs break walls faster is needed though.

Wuzzy wrote:Or you teach mobs how to find players anywhere. This will feel much more natural than any artificial “punishment”.
How can you know how it feels if I haven't made it yet? Having one or multiple catchalls doesn't mean there can't be specialized events to react to certain tricks, but making events for every trick is propably somewhere between very hard to do and impossible.

Previous

Return to WIP Games