[Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.5.0]

Noodlemire

GitHub: Noodlemire
In-game: Noodlemire

[Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.5.0]

by Noodlemire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 04:30

Minetest 5.0+ required.

Pixel Dungeon is a traditional rogue-like game developed for Android phones by Watabou. Voxel Dungeon is an adaptation of that experience in a 3D voxel sandbox, where instead of a linear 25 floor dungeon where every 5 floors fit a specific theme, the entirety of the underground is split into 5 main layers littered with numerous miniature dungeons. Each section has distinct types of terrain, enemies, and loot, but can only be accessed after the player summons and defeats the previous section's boss. The ultimate goal of the game is the Amulet of Yendor, an item dropped by the final boss. The first player to pick up this item wins the game.

This is very WIP, and most of the above is more of a goal, rather than what I've actually implemented so far. Notably, no bosses are in the game yet, so right now deeper layers are only really accessible from getting lucky enough with loot to find the ore to make a pickaxe strong enough to mine the next area's stone. Also, dungeon generation is only half-done so far and not set to put anything into the world.

There are a variety of mechanics that I have introduced so far, which I wish to test further.
+ Spoiler

Included mods and their authors:
+ Spoiler

Screenshots:
+ Spoiler

Known bugs:
+ Spoiler

License: GPL v3

Source Code: https://github.com/Noodlemire/VoxelDungeon

Download (latest): https://mega.nz/#!DqwDAQDb!XM__oycBgdeAOkC-nI3cO7yzu11qexhWIdEIHtHkvAk

Downloads (older):
Last edited by Noodlemire on Mon Jan 13, 2020 04:17, edited 9 times in total.

Noodlemire

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.0.0]

by Noodlemire » Mon Dec 09, 2019 02:46

A new patch has been released, alpha 1.0.1. The main purpose is to fix blobs; they had been a bit worse than I remembered.

From the changelog:
+ Spoiler

Screenshot to show new visuals:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!6rJ0iQwD!ByjEn4RGRQA3fBd1C9DD-9rSTFHFMWk6MCmZN2bQsys

Noodlemire

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.0.1]

by Noodlemire » Sat Dec 14, 2019 04:21

A new update has been released, alpha 1.1.0. There are a few new features, including new buffs, hidden traps, and cannons. See the changelog for more details.

From the changelog:
+ Spoiler

Screenshots:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!33ZEDCaL!6TCf_0KMfcprYIUOHqsytqSad2WSPz6YNrAzrUZ4p38

Inocudom

IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.1.0]

by Inocudom » Sat Dec 21, 2019 04:55

All of those look like caves. Dungeons are usually much more geometrical. Ask Duane for help if you need to, since he has a lot of experience with generating underground structures.
You can now find my videos at BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/some_cheeky_jinuskian/

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Sat Dec 21, 2019 05:09

Inocudom wrote:All of those look like caves. Dungeons are usually much more geometrical. Ask Duane for help if you need to, since he has a lot of experience with generating underground structures.

Yes, I know. The actual dungeons do not spawn yet. I've been focusing more on implementing various objects, lately.

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Sun Dec 22, 2019 05:25

A new update has been released, version 1.2.0. This update switches the mob framework used from mobs_redo to mobkit, and begins to port the mobs previously in the game into said new framework. Also, proper saving has been added for the most part, and now extends to blobs and buffs. Because of these major changes, old worlds will very likely need to be discarded.

From the changelog:
+ Spoiler

Screenshots:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!fjhyxQAB!AhfxtFP-s_H1Bm_PR_FBiAaccPFcdFjPoiJt6o-AsG0

Noodlemire

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.2.0]

by Noodlemire » Wed Dec 25, 2019 05:40

A new update has been released, version 1.3.0. This has a fix for a crash that could have occurred while traversing the underground. There are also a few new items, and some mobs have been added to the Prisons layer.

From the changelog:
+ Spoiler

Screenshots:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!7mZiSQ6J!rXo8LNPH7HJe5O1rJzA5dGYNH3BVseszDUkc2R0LDyg

zing269

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.3.0]

by zing269 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 00:27

I'm very interested in this game. Pixel Dungeon is my go to time waster on my tablet.

Unfortunately I'm getting this error:

Code: Select all
WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "hbhunger" accessed at ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:37
ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Games\minetest-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon\init.lua:
ERROR[Main]: ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:37: attempt to index global 'hbhunger' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
ERROR[Main]:    ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:37: in function 'register_food'
ERROR[Main]:    ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:40: in main chunk
ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
ERROR[Main]:    ...1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon\init.lua:53: in main chunk

I'm looking forward to it's continuing development.

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Thu Dec 26, 2019 02:21

zing269 wrote:
WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "hbhunger" accessed at ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:37
ERROR[Main]: ModError: Failed to load and run script from C:\Games\minetest-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon\init.lua:
ERROR[Main]: ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:37: attempt to index global 'hbhunger' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]:    ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:37: in function 'register_food'
ERROR[Main]:    ...0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/hunger.lua:40: in main chunk
ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'dofile'
ERROR[Main]:    ...1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon\init.lua:53: in main chunk

Could you confirm the version of Minetest that you have installed? At least at a glance, it seems like this could be a result of using a version of Minetest below 5.0, because of some files I removed and replaced due to deprecation.

zing269

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Thu Dec 26, 2019 17:42

...Then I have no idea what causes that. From the sound of the error, one of the mods (hbhunger) isn't being loaded. I have no idea why that'd be the case, though, and I also cannot reproduce this bug on my own at all.

Wuzzy

GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 22:21

Pixel Dungeon, but for Minetest? Call me excited!

Note that the key element of roguelikes (like Pixel Dungeon) is turn-based play and movement is restricted on a grid. While in Minetest, you play in real-time and have free movement. This is a quite significant difference. So this makes me wonder: Do you have any idea on how you will transform this to Minetest?

The biggest question I have is that of dungeon design? Will they be like Pixel Dungeon or do you plan something entirely different? Is movement limited to be inside the dungeons only or will you also use caves? Etc. etc.

There's a million questions I could ask about the game design, but I better stop.

The reason why I'm excited is because this could become a dungeon-crawler for Minetest, something which we have never seen (at least nothing complete. We had Dungeontest but it was very alpha). And I'm always excited when people explore with Minetest genres other than sandbox play. :-)
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Fri Dec 27, 2019 01:08

Wuzzy wrote:Note that the key element of roguelikes (like Pixel Dungeon) is turn-based play and movement is restricted on a grid. While in Minetest, you play in real-time and have free movement. This is a quite significant difference. So this makes me wonder: Do you have any idea on how you will transform this to Minetest?

The translation to a real-time, free-movement game will take a few different forms. In terms of enemy design, I plan on making more special abilities/AI because basic combat is now weighted a lot more in the player's favor. Various time-based mechanics will tend to use seconds instead of turns. Mechanics that would normally affect hit or dodge chance will instead tend to affect durability. In general, though, it has seemed to me that the real difference is as a result of the default player walking speed being ~4 nodes per second.

Wuzzy wrote:The biggest question I have is that of dungeon design? Will they be like Pixel Dungeon or do you plan something entirely different? Is movement limited to be inside the dungeons only or will you also use caves? Etc. etc.

I think I mentioned it briefly in the original post, but the underground will be a mixture of dungeons and caves. Each dungeon will use walls that are one level stronger than the stone of the same area (so you can't cheese your way around them until you beat that section's boss), and will use a similar type of generation to Shattered Pixel Dungeon, but with a random amount of floors. Some room types will be similar to the original, but most will be new and account for the possibility of players mining at least their contents.

Wuzzy wrote:The reason why I'm excited is because this could become a dungeon-crawler for Minetest, something which we have never seen (at least nothing complete. We had Dungeontest but it was very alpha). And I'm always excited when people explore with Minetest genres other than sandbox play. :-)

Well, there was also Endless Dungeons even if that was abandoned really quickly for some reason. But I see what you mean. I'm glad you're excited for it.

zing269

by zing269 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 02:18

It turns out that I did not have "Enable Damage" checked so the code in hbhunger was essentially skipped.

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Fri Dec 27, 2019 02:19

zing269 wrote:It turns out that I did not have "Enable Damage" checked so the code in hbhunger was essentially skipped.

Oh, huh. I did not know that would happen. Most of the time, I forget that option exists.

zing269

by zing269 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 02:50

New error. I was being attacked by a Marsupial Rat.

ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'voxeldungeon' in callback luaentity_Step(): Runtime error from mod 'voxeldungeon' in callback on_punchplayer(): ....\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/playerhandler.lua:140: attempt t
ERROR[Main]: o call global 'getDefenseOf' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]:    ....\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/playerhandler.lua:140: in function <....\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/playerhandler.lua:131>
ERROR[Main]:    C:\Games\minetest-5.1.0\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:429: in function <C:\Games\minetest-5.1.0\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:413>
ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'punch'
ERROR[Main]:    ...est-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\mobkit\init.lua:1117: in function 'func'
ERROR[Main]:    ...est-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\mobkit\init.lua:737: in function 'execute_queues'
ERROR[Main]:    ...est-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\mobkit\init.lua:950: in function 'stepfunc'
ERROR[Main]:    ...1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/mobs.lua:86: in function <...1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/mobs.lua:85>
ERROR[Main]:    [C]: in function 'punch'
ERROR[Main]:    ...est-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\mobkit\init.lua:1117: in function 'func'
ERROR[Main]:    ...est-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\mobkit\init.lua:737: in function 'execute_queues'
ERROR[Main]:    ...est-5.1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\mobkit\init.lua:950: in function 'stepfunc'
ERROR[Main]:    ...1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/mobs.lua:86: in function <...1.0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/mobs.lua:85>
WARNING[Server]: ScriptApiBase::objectrefGetOrCreate(): Pushing ObjectRef to removed/deactivated object, this is probably a bug.

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Fri Dec 27, 2019 03:14

zing269 wrote:New error. I was being attacked by a Marsupial Rat.

...Okay, I do not know how I managed to miss that. Well, here's a patch.

From the Changelog:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!3j4CFILJ!YoHHvgREFtqJ32EM56VxRJaftLToaB3I25M90vnRX8g

zing269

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.3.1]

by zing269 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 05:16

Another error. This was from the first run of a new world, a subsequent run was error free.

WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "getDefenseOf" accessed at ....0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/tools.lua:120
ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'voxeldungeon' in callback on_newplayer(): ....0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/tools.lua:120: attempt to call global 'getDefenseOf' (a nil value)
ERROR[Main]:    ....0\bin\..\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/tools.lua:120: in function 'updateDescriptionArmor'
ERROR[Main]:    ....\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/playerhandler.lua:313: in function <....\games\VoxelDungeon\mods\voxeldungeon/playerhandler.lua:307>
ERROR[Main]:    C:\Games\minetest-5.1.0\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:429: in function <C:\Games\minetest-5.1.0\bin\..\builtin\game\register.lua:413>

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Sat Dec 28, 2019 05:25

zing269 wrote:Another error. This was from the first run of a new world, a subsequent run was error free.

F- Okay, so just take this file. Replace the "tools.lua" file in the voxeldungeon mod folder with this attached version with a hasty fix. I'm a minute from going to bed. The patch will come tomorrow.
Attachments
tools.zip
(4.7 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

zing269

by zing269 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 15:08

Worked great. I also was minutes from bed when I posted.

Noodlemire

by Noodlemire » Mon Jan 06, 2020 02:43

New update time! The centerpiece of this version is the newly included wands. These 12 upgradable items have randomized sprites similar to potions and scrolls, and can be right-clicked to 'zap' whatever you're looking at. They have a max amount of charges that can be used though, and recharge over time. Currently, only 7 out of 12 have been implemented. You'll know what they are since they'll have proper descriptions. There are also special repair tools that you can find; each one works with a specific item type (armor, wands, or weapons).

From the changelog:
+ Spoiler

Screenshots:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!Hz4iCagA!PFCUwLRZ6EmslKCJsV9cDilxy6fUDqW_FkS87Vwpl4o

Noodlemire

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.4.0]

by Noodlemire » Mon Jan 13, 2020 04:14

New update: 1.5.0, featuring fire and death. Fire is fast and works with the blob system now, and death will eat most of the items dropped and only leave a few in the bones you drop. You can also find a vial for storing dew from tall foilage, and rare one-use ankhs that prevent death. If you craft an ankh and a full dew vial, the ankh will become blessed and will preserve your full inventory, as opposed to regular ankhs which wipe most of your inventory.

From the changelog:
+ Spoiler

Screenshot:
+ Spoiler

Download: https://mega.nz/#!DqwDAQDb!XM__oycBgdeAOkC-nI3cO7yzu11qexhWIdEIHtHkvAk

Lone_Wolf

GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Game] Voxel Dungeon [alpha 1.5.0]

by Lone_Wolf » Mon Jan 20, 2020 01:49

This is amazing, and very promising. Keep up the good work!
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights

Return to WIP Games