Loria

siegment
GitHub: forked-from-1kasper
In-game: kraken

Loria

by siegment » Post

I can’t say how long this (sub)game will live, but there are over 100 downloads on ContentDB, so I think here should be the topic. More information can be found on ContentDB or GitHub. Issues are accepted on GitHub.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Re: Loria

by MisterE » Post

Why aren't there any servers running this game? It would be nice to play in multiplayer

Emerald
IRC: Emerald2
In-game: Emerald2

by Emerald » Post

I've been working on a starter guide for Loria. With thanks to the devs for pointing out there was an easier method of making oxygen balloons than what I initially tried.
Spoiler
Important:

Conserve oxygen when powering machines.
Carrying radioactive material can be rapidly fatal. Leave mining it until later.

Initial gathering items:

Fill buckets with Trisilane for fuel.
Cinnabar and potassium ores can also be used as fuel.
Copper Sulfate (blue biome material)
Cuprous Oxide (Similar appearance to copper but darker, blue and green biome)
Lead Sulfate (white biome material)
Sodium Peroxide (yellow biome material)
Red/Mercury Oxide (dark yellow/orange biome material)
Ores of Aluminium, Copper, Lead and Zinc.

Initial recipes:

Craft guide from game creators: https://github.com/forked-from-1kasper/ ... ft_list.md

To make a gas powered furnace:

Refine: Lead sulfate × 1, Bucket empty × 1
= Lead oxide × 1, Bucket sulfur trioxide × 1

We need a hydrogen balloon.
Inventory craft: Zinc ingot × 1, Bucket hydrochloric acid × 2, Empty balloon × 1
= Zinc chloride × 1, Bucket empty × 2, Hydrogen balloon × 1

Refine: Lead oxide × 1, Hydrogen balloon × 1, Bucket empty × 1
= Lead × 1, Empty balloon × 1, Bucket water × 1

Inventory craft: Lead x 3 = gas powered furnace.

Furnace recipes:

Aluminium Ingot x3 = Balloon
Zinc Ingot x4 OR Aluminium Ingot x 5 = Bucket

To make oxygen balloon:

Refine: Mercury oxide × 2, Empty balloon × 1, Bucket empty × 2
= Oxygen balloon × 1, Bucket mercury × 2

Refine: Red mercury oxide × 2, Empty balloon × 1, Bucket empty × 2
= Oxygen balloon × 1, Bucket mercury × 2

Refine: Sodium peroxide × 2, Empty balloon × 1
= Sodium oxide × 2, Oxygen balloon × 1

Refine: Cuprous oxide × 2, Empty balloon × 1
= Copper × 4, Oxygen balloon × 1

Now you've got the basics down, you can check out the craft guide to see what else you can make.

Put on the rave music coz we have glowsticks!
Feel free to share any other tips and tricks here.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

MisterE wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 19:14
Why aren't there any servers running this game? It would be nice to play in multiplayer

Since unlike Single Player or a LAN game, you typically deploy tried and true mods to limit LUA crashes, lag issues, etc. Additionally currently the game is in Alpha which implies it's far from Multiplayer stable.

Given how unique this project is, provided that is updated and progressed regularly it shouldn't be long before admins start deciding to host this game on a public scale.

siegment

by siegment » Post

We (developers) already tried Loria in multiplayer. There are currently two problems: bug with oxygen balloons (in multiplayer, I don’t know why, the oxygen counter stops working for some players) and lags, but again I don’t know if they are related to our servers or to the game itself.

>it shouldn't be long before admins start deciding to host this game on a public scale.
It requires a server, server requires a money. So I am not ready to maintain public server for a long time.
It is possible, of course, to host the server at home, but my internet connection is too bad.

Mineminer

by Mineminer » Post

siegment wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 04:10
>it shouldn't be long before admins start deciding to host this game on a public scale.
It requires a server, server requires a money. So I am not ready to maintain public server for a long time.
It is possible, of course, to host the server at home, but my internet connection is too bad.

Agreed, most developers don't since as you mentioned cost resources as money and so on. I meant however the public hosting this game.

siegment

by siegment » Post

Wow, there are currently over 3000 downloads on ContentDB.
Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for developing the subgame?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I gave it a whirl just last week, and I have to say it's pretty cool as-is, but its alpha status is still pretty apparent. Random thoughts will now follow.

It could use an intro of some kind, like maybe a computerized voice telling you why you've been dumped on this planet and giving you a couple basic pointers, like "a scan shows that mercury oxide has precipitated out of the upper atmosphere and covers much of the surface. Mercury Oxide can be split into oxygen using your portable refinery" type thing.

Speaking of which, some type of crafting guide would be really good. Like part of your suit that can analyze what you have in your inventory and show you what you can do with it, or you can punch in something you need and it will show you what you'll need to have in order to make it. Or maybe just a hand computer.

Radiation is pretty awesome, but I found it perhaps a little too densely placed. I took to living on top of the giant mushrooms to get up out of the radiation, and just building sky-bridges to where I needed to go, because nowhere on the surface of the biome I turned up on was below "slightly deadly." And I was surrounded by thorium-tainted seas on all sides.

After digging through the code, I spotted Manganese Oxide tagged as an anti-radiation drug. I found the crafting recipe, but I was missing several important ingredients, so I just wished up a block to try out the suit's "drug" slot and it appeared to not work?

I feel like a lead box should block radiation from its contents better than a silicon box, but in practice they seemed the same. Handling radioactives seemed like a foolish idea, apart from the glowing mushrooms you can make into glowsticks.
Speaking of boxes, maybe give the player a starting box or bag you can put down somewhere to store a few things in?
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

siegment

by siegment » Post

>It could use an intro of some kind, like maybe a computerized voice telling you why you've been dumped on this planet and giving you a couple basic pointers, like "a scan shows that mercury oxide has precipitated out of the upper atmosphere and covers much of the surface. Mercury Oxide can be split into oxygen using your portable refinery" type thing.
Computerized voice is difficult to (well) implement in Minetest. It’s enough just to store text hints somewhere.

>Speaking of which, some type of crafting guide would be really good.
OK

>Radiation is pretty awesome, but I found it perhaps a little too densely placed. I took to living on top of the giant mushrooms to get up out of the radiation, and just building sky-bridges to where I needed to go, because nowhere on the surface of the biome I turned up on was below "slightly deadly." And I was surrounded by thorium-tainted seas on all sides.
I thought it was a feature.

>missing several important ingredients
Which ones? Main ingredient—potassium permanganate—is present in the game (can be found by digging down in the purple biome).

>I feel like a lead box should block radiation from its contents better than a silicon box, but in practice they seemed the same.
Yes, currently they just block any α‐particles, the difference is only a size.

>Speaking of boxes, maybe give the player a starting box or bag you can put down somewhere to store a few things in?
OK

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

siegment wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 08:28
Computerized voice is difficult to (well) implement in Minetest. It’s enough just to store text hints somewhere.
I was figuring like just an audio file that plays when you start a new game.
I thought it was a feature.
Oh it totally is, but my experience was that it was maybe a little excessive. In the world I got, I was basically stuck on a small island where I couldn't dig down without risking quick death. I was trying to build a sky bridge out into the ocean and see if I could find the mainland, but it was pretty arduous and I think I picked the wrong direction, 'cause I didn't find anything but more ocean before I ran out of blocks.
>missing several important ingredients
Which ones? Main ingredient—potassium permanganate—is present in the game (can be found by digging down in the purple biome).
It was primarily that I couldn't reach any. I'm sure they spawned somewhere in the world, but I had only one biome on the island, and an ocean on all sides. So I wished one up to test it out, and the main difficulty I had there was that inserting the manganese oxide didn't slowly flush my exposed rads, or slow the rate at which I was receiving them; it didn't seem to do anything.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

sam9

by sam9 » Post

Emerald wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 01:50
I've been working on a starter guide for Loria. With thanks to the devs for pointing out there was an easier method of making oxygen balloons than what I initially tried.
Thank you so much for this!! I have extra questions if someone has time:
Spoiler
-"Conserve oxygen when powering machines." What does this mean? Conserve how?
-Where can Trisilane be found?
-Where can hydrochloric acid be found?
-How do the balloons work? Sometimes I can see gas coming out of a node but I'm not able to catch it

siegment

by siegment » Post

>What does this mean? Conserve how?
Eject the balloon after using a furnace, for example (otherwise it can burn with your fuel).

>Where can Trisilane be found? Where can hydrochloric acid be found?
It can be found in cinnabar, cobalt blue or another “stone” in current biome. It looks like any other ore, but when you dig it, appears liquid, which can be collected with a bucket.

>How do the balloons work?
Currently you can release the gas inside the balloon, but not collect into it. Maybe someday I will fix it.

sam9

by sam9 » Post

Thank you for these answers!
siegment wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 17:13
It looks like any other ore, but when you dig it, appears liquid, which can be collected with a bucket.
But buckets can't pick up flowing liquids don't they? I tried preparing a small "pool" aroud the ore hoping the liquid would stabilize but it seems to be constantly moving, the bucket doesn't pick anything up. So, how?

sam9

by sam9 » Post

Oh I answered my own question! You have to pick the source block, and from the top!

sam9

by sam9 » Post

Is there a way to change your spawning point?

siegment

by siegment » Post

>Is there a way to change your spawning point?
Not yet. There is an idea: to change a spawnpoint, instead of beds, use some “radio beacons”, but I don’t know how their texture might look.

debiankaios
IRC: debiankaios
In-game: debiankaios Nowe

by debiankaios » Post

What is the goal of this game?

Chris

by Chris » Post

Hi, I received the following message:

Code: Select all

mods/electricity/init.lua:3: Electricity mod requires access to insecure functions in order to work. Please add the electricity mod to your secure.trusted_mods."
Can you fix it?

siegment

by siegment » Post

>What is the goal of this game?
The same as in Minetest Game or in Minecraft.

>Hi, I received the following message:
>mods/electricity/init.lua:3: Electricity mod requires access to insecure functions in order to work. Please add the electricity mod to your secure.trusted_mods."
>Can you fix it?
This is not an error. As written, you need to add “electricity” to the list of trusted mods. This can be done in the settings or in minetest.conf. Reasons for this behavior are described on the game page in ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/siegment/loria/

chef trip
GitHub: teklife
In-game: yuh

by chef trip » Post

Loria seems like an interesting game which i'd love to try, but unfortunately, i still don't know how to "trust' the electricity mod. as per the last post, i looked in settings and configure, and don't see anything for electricity for either.

it's nice that there's at least a note on the Loria content_db page, but still not enough for me and others who i've chatted with on servers, to get it working, it's not just me being an idiot.

i've searched my computer and the minetest folders for a file called "secure.trusted_mods" and have found nothing. i've also searched minetest.conf for "trusted" and there's nothing. sorry i tried a long long time on my own and still trying by now posting here. would love to understand what needs to be done to get Loria working.

cheers!
Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are. – Kurt Cobain

siegment

by siegment » Post

>would love to understand what needs to be done to get Loria working.
You can simply add “secure.trusted_mods = electricity” to minetest.conf.

> i've also searched minetest.conf for "trusted" and there's nothing.
This means that you don’t have any other mods required to be “trusted”.

chef trip

by chef trip » Post

thank you for your reply. i have done exactly that, added "secure.trusted_mods = electricity" to the minetest.conf file, and nothing happens.

the only think i can think is, could the folder/file i'm modifying be an old directory not used by the more up to date flatpak that i currently run to play MT? (i did a google search and it seems the .conf file is still in the same place)

here's my error output, in case i'm missing anything which needs to be known in order to resolve this that i don't understand.

chef trip

by chef trip » Post

one thing i've noticed is, there is no 'games' folder in my ~/.minetest directory, instead, when i search for Loria, i find it in ~/.var/app/net.minetest.Minetest/.minetest/games/loria/mods.

i did see another minetest.config file in that ~/.var/app... directory, to which i added the secure.trusted_mods = electricity line also, but i still get the message above.

can i change where the client or game is looking for that modified file?

siegment

by siegment » Post

>one thing i've noticed is, there is no 'games' folder in my ~/.minetest directory, instead, when i search for Loria, i find it in ~/.var/app/net.minetest.Minetest/.minetest/games/loria/mods.
It seems that flatpak version of Minetest don’t look into your “~/.minetest/” folder, only in “~/.var/app/net.minetest.Minetest/.minetest/”.

>i did see another minetest.config file in that ~/.var/app... directory, to which i added the secure.trusted_mods = electricity line also, but i still get the message above.
“minetest.config”, not “minetest.conf”?

siegment

by siegment » Post

But anyway:
>A custom path to a configuration file can be specified in command line using the option --config /path/to/minetest.conf.
https://wiki.minetest.net/Minetest.conf