[Game] Weird [0.3.0]

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

[Game] Weird [0.3.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

This game has been abandoned!

This is Weird.
Weird is an abandoned game for Minetest 0.4.11 which contains a lot of obscure, useless, strange or funny mods, while still being a playable game. Actually, it is a sandbox and will probably stay that way for a very long time until it is actually a game.

Overall, Weird should immerse you in a weird and otherworldly world with a couple of creatures living in it, most of them hostile. Focus is on singleplayer mode. So main focus goes to map generation and mobs.
This subgame currently only works together with mapgen v7!
Magic should also play an important role in this game.

A lot of other game concepts still need to be thought out, and the subgame is kinda messy right now, there is no balancing at all, so there is a long road ahead to version 1.0.0 and this is certainly my most sophisticated Minetest project so far.

Some early screenshots:

An unique creature, the icicle itch, attacking the player in the frost biome:

Multiple biomes and a nyan cat! The biome in the front is the fur biome.

Jungle biome with giant spiders:

Dryland with more spiders:

Cheese biome with small and giant rats:

The underground has the cave realms:

A couple of mobs are provided, but I want to have much more.

The rest of Weird is a large collection of mods which I consider to be weird.

Another core change is that you have an inventory of 4×10 slots.

You can download a supplemental texture pack which alters the sun and moon images here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10434
Spoiler
This is just a draft, but I post it anyways:

Core concepts:
  • Weirdness: Put many weird things into it. Fantasy, magic, bacon, whatever!
  • Anti-realism: Make the game atmosphere as “unrealistic” as possible, while still being playable.
  • Gameplay: Create a fully playable game, focus is on gameplay
  • Singleplayer: Focus is on singleplayer. While theoretically still playable in multiplayer, this game will clerly not be optimized for it. Also there will be no protection mods provided whatsoever.
  • Explorable world: Create a world which is worth to explore. Every area should have its own character; there should be no “empty” (=not designed) areas. (like skies without birds, oceans without sea plants etc.)
  • Consistence: While being weird, keep the game elements consistant
  • Challenging: The game should not be trivially easy.
  • Use existing mods and configure and put them togther in a “clever” way; edit them to create consistency; create new crafts to “connect” the mods etc.
Side ideas:
  • Creativity: Provide enough blocks to build awesome things, but don’t focus on that
  • Mods of this game should be simple, complex mods like mesecons will NOT be added
Currently, Weird is far away from ANY of these admittedly VERY sophisticated goals. Weird it is currently just a large bunch of mods which have been thrown together, with a bit of compability work. This makes Weird a sandbox, technically.

At its core of Weird are the map generators, Weird uses multiple of them. They seem to already work pretty well together. Weird is only playable with version 7 of the map generator. Weird disables ridges/rivers of MGv7.
The main map generators are [ethereal], [caverealms], [skylands], [meru], [sea]. These mapgens work surprisingly well together already! Weird will probably be designed around [ethereal], while adding stuff to it (or not).

I plan to do much more with the map generators. Especially I want to mess around with the perlin noise, but I still haven’t figured out how to do it.
Spoiler
KEY:
(?) = not yet added, not sure wheather to add
(!) = not yet added, mod is lost (please post if you found it)
(T) = not yet added, Planned to add later
none of the above symbols: mod is in the subgame
(MP) = it is a modpack, not a mod

Outright weird mods: Mapgen mods:
  • ethereal (1.15), WTFPL
  • skylands (4.2), WTFPL
  • caverealms (0.4), WTFPL
  • sea (MP) (0.4.2) by Topywo, licenses: it’s complicated, see link
  • meru (0.3.0), WTFPL
  • tsm_pyramids, mostly WTFPL, a few textures fall under CC-BY-SA 3.0 and are by bas808
  • bedrock2, WTFPL
Deco: Weapons: Useful:
  • trash_can (by Evergreen), CC-BY-SA 3.0
  • ufos, WTFPL
  • Point Teleporter [teletool], WTFPL
  • Mirror of Returning [returnmirror], WTFPL
  • glowcrystals (by SegFault22), LGPLv2+
Mobs:
  • mobapi by Casimir, WTFPL
  • mobs_spider, a quick and dirty rewrite of spidermob, licensed CC-BY-SA by the Lord of the Test developers
  • A lot of custom mobs mods made for Weird, all WTFPL
Unsorted:
Technical mods:
  • awards (by rubenwardy), GPLv3+
  • treasurer (0.2.0), WTFPL
  • tsm_surprise (0.1), WTFPL
  • trmp_minetest_game (0.4.10.0), WTFPL
  • playereffects (1.2.0), WTFPL
  • hudbars, WTFPL
  • mana, WTFPL
Mods which are only there to fulfil dependencies of other mods:
Spoiler
The mods fall under the licenses as described in the mod section.
Everything else (config files, main menu images, etc.) if under the WTFPL.
Planned features (short-term goals):
  • Crafting guide (inventory_plus won’t work because of changed inventory size)
  • More mobs to fill the world
  • Use an uncommon MGv7 noise.
  • More actually weird mods
  • Modify mapgenerators to spawn nodes from mods like [bacon], [batblocks], etc.

If you know weird mods or mods which fit the core concepts, post them!
I am also seeking for ideas for better integration between the mods, in order to reach consistency.
Attachments
weird0.3.0.zip
(7.96 MiB) Downloaded 612 times
Weird_nobackdrop.png
Weird_nobackdrop.png (26.12 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Last edited by Wuzzy on Fri Mar 24, 2023 19:21, edited 12 times in total.

Joz

Re: [Game] Weird [0.1.0]

by Joz » Post

What I learned from this game: The trees in the default games' jungle should be a lot more dense, because the jungle in this game is fun. But I found the bamboo very annoying cause one can't step through it.
An advice: You should experiment with the map_meta.txt (and mods can afaik modify its values), for example with the water level and high values; I had such weird maps because of playing around with this file :D

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

As you allready have the ccmobs don't forget the cubic workers.
The "Glowing Biomes" from GlowTest are also somewhat weird.
but above all
this mod:
turtle graphics by jin_xi should be really usefull to add weird stuff to the world ;-P

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Very nice idea to make a game with a collection of weird mods!

I looked up the mods without a link:

wcc
Melkor mentioned a link ( viewtopic.php?id=2890 ) to Bas080's forum post, containing this link to his GitHub ( https://github.com/bas080/portal )

Here's a link to a copy of the wcc I found on my computer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... 20wcc).zip

laser sword
Link to pagliaccio's laser sword topic with a working link in it to GitHub (still needs working sound):
viewtopic.php?id=2632#p35298

glowcrystals
Link to Sefault22's forum post with a working download link under the second spoiler:
viewtopic.php?id=9047#p137366

brilliantblocks
Here's a post of me with a working link in odnetninl's topic:
viewtopic.php?p=136077#p136077

I once collected some mods that are less in the spotlights for a potential game. I hope you can use them or they may just bring some inspiration :

Doc's birthstones (might need newer code):
viewtopic.php?id=3663#p51319

Josh's decoplants:
viewtopic.php?id=3151#p43970

darket's dicormod (2nd page Posts of Sokomine and CWz have links to a updated versions):
viewtopic.php?id=508#p3478

ericksmerick's fruit mod:
viewtopic.php?id=3613#p50558

Excalibur Zero's glowblocks:
viewtopic.php?id=5935#p89471

RAPHAELS's industrial mod:
viewtopic.php?id=692#p5856

rommiekerova's kerova mod:
viewtopic.php?id=8054#p122585

MirceaKitsune's moonflower (I've thought about extending this mod and use it instead of the 'default' flowers mod to get some dyes):
viewtopic.php?id=5479#p82051

Chinchow's orichalcum's mod
viewtopic.php?id=3913#p54445

Evergreen's quartz mod
viewtopic.php?id=5682#p85331

Nemo08's roofs mod
viewtopic.php?id=1254#p14304

philipbenr's variator mod
viewtopic.php?id=8128#p123489

LocaL_ALchemist's workers mod (as mentioned by twoelk I saw when posting) :
viewtopic.php?id=2576/#p34085

GJH105775's xtrablocks mod:
viewtopic.php?id=3257#p45438

-- while posting: Glowtest mentioned by twoelk looks indeed very suitable for this game :-)

Edit: If a download link doesn't work I can upload the mods

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Wuzzy wrote: The main map generators are [ethereal], [caverealms], [skylands], [meru], [sea] and [intersecting]. These mapgens work surprisingly well together already!
That doesn't sound weired! It rather sounds like an intresting combination of mapgens. Those of the above I know of concentrate on diffrent areas of the map, so they ought to work pretty well together. The original ethereal (before TenPlus1 added more biomes with normal plants) was admittedly pretty weired. Perhaps you may extend on that. Someone also created a candyland mapgen. That'd definitely count as strange. Areas from wasteland may also fit in.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Hybrid Dog
GitHub: HybridDog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

weird, some time ago I got the idea of making a game called something with weird, where e.g. you need to put the items in a furnace you want to breed to the output slot, randomly chosen, and similar stuff.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks for the replies so far, they were pretty helpful! I also work on some of my other projects, so an update on Weird may take a while.
I have looked into your suggestions and they sure sound promising! I hope I can somehow incorporate them.

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

For some reason is my map full of trees while I am using this subgame. I can move so good, becouse I need more free place. Any mob can be spawned here becouse its really FULL of trees. Could you remove some mapgen mods please ?
I like the Idea and I want to test it, but my Minetest crash for some reason.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

AMMOnym wrote: For some reason is my map full of trees while I am using this subgame. I can move so good, becouse I need more free place. Any mob can be spawned here becouse its really FULL of trees. Could you remove some mapgen mods please ?
Are you using mapgen v7? Else ethereal produces a truely weired world, with giant redwood trees and a type of needle tree taking over the world and leading to utter chaos. Such a world can be seen in Meldrians english series of Minetest videos. In order to get all the biomes, you have to choose mapgen v7 manually.

AMMOnym
IRC: AMMOnym
In-game: AMMOnym

by AMMOnym » Post

Sokomine wrote:
AMMOnym wrote: For some reason is my map full of trees while I am using this subgame. I can move so good, becouse I need more free place. Any mob can be spawned here becouse its really FULL of trees. Could you remove some mapgen mods please ?
Are you using mapgen v7? Else ethereal produces a truely weired world, with giant redwood trees and a type of needle tree taking over the world and leading to utter chaos. Such a world can be seen in Meldrians english series of Minetest videos. In order to get all the biomes, you have to choose mapgen v7 manually.
Thanks a lot. It works now. ITS CRAZY SUBGAME

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Lol, AMMOnym got outweirded. ;-)

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Coming out of the closet before being dragged back in by college, to make a remark:
Neat subgame! I look forward to trying it out when I get some spare time. Also, very glad to see a subgame (that isn't my own) using CaveRealms and SkyLands. 'Tis an honor.

Very interesting concept, and great for serving the purpose of exposing some of the horribly underrated/overlooked mods out there. A couple ideas: [airsword], or perhaps even the air tools from Jordach's BFD, if you want actual items in-game. Also, if you say you want to make it truly weird, consider using a custom skybox. I don't know what you'd use, but inventive minds can create many things.

(Makes me wonder if I should bundle some of my single-purpose minimods that I've made for myself and post them...)
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:Coming out of the closet before being dragged back in by college

(Makes me wonder if I should bundle some of my single-purpose minimods that I've made for myself and post them...)
well then don't leave them mods in that closet
share, share, share

Wuzzy

Release 0.2.0

by Wuzzy » Post

Today I release version 0.2.0!
Download is in 1st post.

Changes:
  • added glowcrystals mod
  • added brilliant_blocks mod
  • added moonflower mod
  • updated fireballs mod to version 3.4 (replaces very old version)
  • added bakedclay mod
  • fire is much more harmless now, it does not destroy blocks anymore
  • increased likelihood to encounter nyan cat blocks.
  • added petrified nyan cats, they spawn underground
  • added tac nayn (=arch enemy of nyan cat) blocks, they spawn deep underground (if you got better ideas for spawn points, please share!)
  • new biome: cheese. This is the home of rats
  • new (experimental) biome: underground bacon. It’s experimental and kinda ugly.
  • Adjusted the spawns of mobs, many mobs didn’t spawn because of bugs
I also want to point you out to a texture pack tailored to this subgame:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10434
This adds a “sun” and “moon” which look like oranges. Sadly, this cannot be directly included into this subgame, you have to install and select it seperately. This texture pack adds a bit to the flavor, but is optional.

Sorry, progress is slow, that’s partly because I am not really sure what I am doing right now.
Maybe I should work out a better plan some day. :-)

Mods I want to add into the game later:
  • slimenodes (I need to generate them by a map generator)
  • fireworks (currently broken)
  • GlowTest mods
  • a crafting guide which doesn’t alter the inventory formspec
Sorry, Topywo. I looked through your list but I don’t like most mods in it, because many mods are either ugly or outdated.

I have thought about the Ethereal mod and your comments I and guess you are right. Ethereal is just lightly weird, but there are a couple of “nature” biomes without much weirdness in it. Although I like Ethereal very much, I think parts of it go against the very idea of this subgame.
Maybe I end up with forking Ethereal just for this. And remove some un-weird biomes.
Oh, by the way: If you good ideas for biomes, please talk!

My personal (partial) TODO list:
  • Find out what the heck I want to do
  • Ores get spawned everywhere, I somehow have to balance all this stuff
  • Add potions
  • Get rid of all that stuff which seems too normal
  • Work out a more challenging health/damage system. Ethereal spawns eatable food everywhere, it is very easy to stay alive.
  • More colorful formspecs
Please note that this subgame will likely fluctuate a lot in future updates. Therefore, I cannot guarantee you savegame compability at all.

Esteban
In-game: Esteban

Re: [Game] Weird [0.2.0]

by Esteban » Post

Wuzzy wrote:"image"
love it! xD
Wuzzy wrote:...Oh, by the way: If you good ideas for biomes, please talk!...
A biome where the ground is made out of logs and leaves and trees made out of stone and dirt.
Scan avatar or click here to read a Message of Hope (PDF)

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

If I make my "net_noise" 3d, which is fairly easy, I could begin generating a random city.
If I add the home_builder mod's code, I could make villages too…

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Wuzzy, I request that you post this sub-game in the forums of Freeminer too, if possible.

Ascent

Re: Release 0.2.0

by Ascent » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Image
This looks wonderfully delicious. I can't wait to see cheeseland on a server! :D

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

Re: Release 0.2.0

by Napiophelios » Post

Wuzzy wrote: I also want to point you out to a texture pack tailored to this subgame:
This adds a “sun” and “moon” which look like oranges. Sadly, this cannot be directly included into this subgame, you have to install and select it seperately. This texture pack adds a bit to the flavor, but is optional.

Wuzzy just add this line
"texture_path =.\games\weird\texture"
to the sub game's minetest.conf

and add a folder next to menu and mods folders
with your sun and moon inside.

you cant specify fonts but it works fine with textures

EDIT: I guess I was wrong;this only works if the player has never selected a texture pack and had it saved to the minetest configuration file.
The subgame texture pack settings cant trump the players TP settings.
Last edited by Napiophelios on Mon Nov 17, 2014 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Funny world! That cheese looks inviting as a building material, and the mobs work surprisingly well. Also thanks for adding the petrified nyan cats. A very weired world indeed :-)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7824
This would fit in here well. In fact, you could spawn some of its nodes in your caves.

rubberduck
IRC: rbduck
In-game: rubberduck

by rubberduck » Post

i have some more ideas:

a mod called "glow"
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6300

and mybe usesdirt
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4129

and what about snowdrift (but in deserts / warm parts only)

and i had this idea, that you can bake crystals (diamonds, mese...) into ingots before you can use them for most recipes

nyancats could go vertically too, and sometimes "double headed",
like this: nrrrrrrrrrn (n = nyan cat, r = nyan cat rainbow)
My game (not minetest): http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6800

my mods: gold_and_gem, meseconductors

a penguin throws an apple through a window

sometimes i change my "forum location" via user control panel

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

by philipbenr » Post

+1

+2 For usesdirt. That was one of the weirdest mods I have ever seen

Hybrid Dog

by Hybrid Dog » Post

I made some mods which are too weird to be added here, e.g. the palpitation mod.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

Wuzzy wrote: I also want to point you out to a texture pack tailored to this subgame:
Wuzzy I believe you can now add your sun and moon textures to the default mod's texture folder to achieve this.
But the textures base folder shouldnt have them for it to work I think.