[Game] Magichet: "The 1.2 'Non-Commercial' Release"

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: Magichet: "The Server SW poll"

by ABJ » Post

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Nor have I been never been to any English country either, and, unless you are living in a very Eastern part of Russia, I'm farther away from England than you are, and the only 2 countries I've ever visited are India and Sri Lanka. So we are practically the same and make pretty much the same grammer mistakes ;) And definitely I wasn't hurt just surprised about how you got heated up so quickly. ;)
And is it not possible to get the latest game until you officially release? Or is it askable by PM etc?
And talking about asking, I was meaning asking on the thread being scary.
That said, I wonder actually when do you think this game could be officially released?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

They are right, this should be in WIP Subgames or Servers if there is no download. I'd suggest WIP Subgames - it fits exactly to what you are saying - you're working on it, you want to post updates.

Please see 'releases' in 'Subgame Releases'.

Also as a side note, if you add a NC clause then it's not technically open source, but that is completely your choice and it doesn't make much difference to me.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Ah... Ruben...
Wait for a couple of days, would you?

Also, I've seen that topic, but:
The game WAS released and is being used in production on GooglePlay.
Are you saying that there's no way one can update some game that had been released already? O_o

So, please, be patient and leave me and my thread be until June 1st, 2015.
If for any reason by then there won't be a way to get the sources - do whatever you think is necessary to do.
Until then, please, wait.

I clearly understand that in the current state "WIP" or "Server" sub-forum fits me better.
But I don't feel like updating 4 threads instead of 2 (do you remember FM is out there too?) and make users to search for me in 3 different threads across minetest.net.
Besides, as long as there's Magichet app at Google Play - you can't claim there's NO way to obtain the game.
But then again - that would have gone to unofficial Engine Developement, I guess...

So, If a link to GP app would be sufficient to let me be for a while - I'll add it to the 1st post.

If no, then the only thing I can do is to ask to stop disturbing me and thus making the release to come out later then it could. The time I spend on answering messages about "moving" the thread may have been spent on updating the game... :(

BUT:
I've NOTHING against the move IF the link to the topic will STAY THE SAME.
OR in case there will be a redirect to the appropriate topic.

My only concern about "not moving" is preserving ppl that actually want to play the game and are following its development.
=============================================================================

As a side note, the word "technically" depends on what are you calling an "open source" software.
In terms of the fact that the sources will be available for anyone, "NC" *is* an "open source".
"Non-free" (as in "freedom", not as in "free hot-dogs!") open-source - maybe, but definitely not "not open source".

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

ABJ wrote:And is it not possible to get the latest game until you officially release? Or is it askable by PM etc?
And talking about asking, I was meaning asking on the thread being scary.
That said, I wonder actually when do you think this game could be officially released?
I'm planning to make things work in the nearest future. (I'd LIKE to say "till the 1st of June, 2015", but still can't).
That includes GP app update.
If I'd fail to update or add some feature in 2 weeks - then all those missing features will be a question of the next update.
So, I'd release soon anyway.

The old version will be accessible prior to the 1st of June, 2015. That I CAN promise and willing to make.
Asking for any version via PM is not prohibited. But I have a certain ppl in the list of those who can obtain pre-release by asking. One of those has got a copy already ;)

ABJ, I'll PM you by myself when I'll be able to give you the old version and then when the new will be available.

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

In terms of the fact that the sources will be available for anyone, "NC" *is* an "open source". "Non-free" (as in "freedom", not as in "free hot-dogs!") open-source - maybe, but definitely not "not open source".
Well, if you redefine terms to suit your need, you can make basically any statement true. ;-)

But that's not what “open source” means. “open source” is not a wishy-washy term, it has a clear-cut definition: http://opensource.org/osd
And this definition clearly excludes non-commercial clauses and the like.

What you are talking about, that is, the source code is available, but under a restrictive license, is called “source-available”, which is different from “open source” (or “free software”).

Fun Fact: The Open Source Definition is pretty similar to the free software definition. The difference lies in the motiviation. Free Software advocates argue on ethical grounds, Open Source advocates don't.

Back to topic: I guess I just wait until you put the release the (new) subgame as download, as you have said. I prefer to play singleplayer, that's the reason. Maybe I join the server. Or maybe not, lol, I'll see. xD

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

OK OK forget it till that :)
@4aiman I was just being a bit lazy and (thus) narrowminded.
@rubenwardy @myself Give him some peace till whenever he likes.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Oh, that's a Wuzzy's comment for me :)
Actually, nevermind.
But your attitude had shifted my priorities greatly.

You'd never know...You'd never know...

Anyway, here's the graph of the server load for the last 24 hours:
graph.png
Last edited by 4aiman on Thu May 28, 2015 21:05, edited 3 times in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

So...
I've added a link to a web-page where one can get currently released Magichet version.
No ads, no link-shorteners.
IP and (if applicable) username are to be logged.
There's also a publicly-available counter and the terms of usage that one can see prior to downloading.
Also, I didn't change the license for the code that once has been released.

But the next version will have a different license. That is not disputable.
However, should someone need any kind of additional right on release, I'd be glad to help.
Much like those awesome people who granted some additional rights to me.

I haven't decided on the license yet, though.

If there's a way to let "let's-players" and "bloggers" and other people who aren't gaining money by direct use of my subgame (like selling apps or making apps with ads) - then, please, tell me of a wonderful license which will enable me to save their right to indirectly exploit my subgame.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

The server's up once again!

Some more (I *have* announced full-set-armour bonuses, haven't I?) set-bonuses. Leather, Gold, Iron and Rainbow sets affected.
Now with some neat corner-stairs!
And the default skin v1 has been added too.
stairs.png
(The image is from MC wiki and is NOT free, but it's legal to use that)

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

FINALLY I'm online :)
And WOW!
If anyone wanna meet me online, come now!

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

How do I get this Frostwood thing? Thanks to the fact that everything has to be made out of that, now I'm stuck with no way to make ANY tools.
Anyone can help?

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

First of all - frostwood is a wood that is crafted out of purple trees.
But you don't *have* to use frostwood :)

Haven't you seen zgc earlier?
There's a little button with 'v' symbol:
Just press it, and you'll see that *any* type of wood shall do. :)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Date: 29.05.2015
- true MC-like stairs behaviour + upside-down stairs!
[All variations are actually only 3(!!!) nodes!]
- fixed jetpack being unequippable
- new ghosts physics: true flight
- fixed nonexistent translation crashes
- single-path localization
- fixed magnesium spawn
- fixed magnesium drop
- added a recipe for gStone lamp
- now you finally may complete the very fisrt quest!

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

The server has been down for a couple of days due to a strange serialization bug.
I think I've fixed it, but that is merely a guess - the error has absolutely no info on what has happened.
So, the only thing I could do - check EVERY param that is being serialized and make sure it's a string.

The server will be up and running within 10 hours.
And from now on it will be running from 6-7 PM till 4-5 AM (GMT+0).
That is due to my desktop heating up the place.
It's already up to +30ºC (86ºF) indoors where I live (and it might get up to 34-36), so...
Sadly, I've no money to buy a new cooling system for my Desktop or my flat. (The one with the same noise level will cost twice as much as my HW cost me 2 years ago.)

So, please, wait for the release if the "opening hours" don't not suit your meridian.

Also, I'm still running a time-profiler.
Be sure to check-in, so I'd know which hours are the best to have the server software running.
Right now the best time is from 5PM to 9PM roughly.

The alternative way is to use crowdfunding to raise some sum to pay for a good VPS and run magichet there for 24/7.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Just as promised, the server runs from around 6 PM till around 5AM.

Current version includes new bonuses for the following sets of armour: gold, rainbow and magic.
It is called "Lavaward" and lets one swim in lava w/o taking damage for 6, 16 or 60 seconds respectively.
After that time's over one will start to receive normal damage.
Walk away from lava and stay out of it for 1/2 of the bonus duration time and you'll be able to swim in lava again.
(Basically, when in lava, timer goes 1 down per second; while NOT in lava it goes 2 up per second until it reaches the limit).

Also there was a bug that prevented players from descending below -64 even after completing the quest.
I'm sorry, but if anyone had completed that prior to yesterday's evening, the quest for going deeper should be undergone once again.

There were more fixes, but I don't remember those ATM. Image

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Hmmm interesting. Good thing I'm not even close.
Um how far do I have to go from spawn to get the full ore benefit?
And why don't decayed leaves drop sapling? And how do I obtain than?

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Well, since I've changed the mapgen a little right after changing ore probabilities, you should see a place upon looking at it.
That would be within 600 nodes from spawn.
I can't guarantee, though.
You should look for a place where you can clearly see a difference in altitude - like a plain half of a high mountain... or a biome under another biome.

Note that /home works within 600 nodes only. Be sure to make several warp points if you must.

Decayed leaves... he-he ))
When leaves decay they drop themselves with the probability of 1/30.
If you want saplings - cut the leaves with smth sharp. That does include some swords and axes.
Some leaves are to be cracked down with a pickaxe (guess which? ;)

The general rule is:
if you can obtain the *leaves node by cutting them with a tool - there's a good chance of having saplings (like 1/5, IIRC) too.

Ok, you may stop guessing ;)

"default:leaves" - "default:shears"
"default:jungleleaves" - "default:shears"
"ethereal:bananaleaves" - "default:shears", "sharp"
"ethereal:yellowleaves" - "default:shears", "cutters"
"ethereal:palmleaves" - "default:shears"
"ethereal:pineleaves" - "default:shears", "cutters"
"ethereal:frost_leaves" - "cutters"
"ethereal:mushroom" - anything
"ethereal:mushroom_pore" - anything

I wanted to provide a list of "sharp" and "cutters" tools...
but is seems that you've found yet another bug...
Not all tools are registered within given groups like those should.
I'll fix it asap.

Just know, that currently you can't cut leaves placed by a player with a proper tool and expect those to drop saplings - only naturally spawned leaves can provide saplings and/or fruits.

I doubt I should change that...
How about a voting? :)
Need at least 10 ppl for the change.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Oh thanks so much :)

BTW 4aiman could you check out Voxiworld by DCJ on his own DCJTech forums? It's got quite a bunch of useful things you might like.

And, additional small request: Could you change the torches please? Having the default ones somehow makes this game look horribly drab. Why, even Voxiworld's crap cubic-only-non-animated torches seem to add so much good feel to the game.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Well, the reason for horrid torches is devs stubbornness. Why should I add yet another mesh which won't show properly on older clients, if there's a patch for 3d torches already? :)
So many ideas were squashed and RIPed just "because".

^ That what I would've said 2 years ago.

As for now...
Once I deal with the problems on android - I'll start making builds - at least for x86.
If it's the only way to not overload the game with data, then so shall it be.
If I'm forced to make older clients have visual glitches, then what difference would it make to use a custom build?
Either way I'd be forced to leave ppl behind. But with a custom build I will be able to provide a client where all things work as they should.

Just remember: android - first, PC - next.
========================================
Voxiworld....
I've been to a server of it.
Honestly... I don't feel like playing it.

But that's only because I'm not like playing almost any subgame for minetest or freeminer.
That's the reason of making magichet. I'm really tired to code magichet but after a year of development, it's starting to obtain it's shape.

If you have some ideas on features I can use - feel free to list them, though.
Just remember: magichet is a game about magic, technology and minecraft features that I like. I also like to copy some terraria features (like armour set bonuses).

I'm NOT making a copy of minecraft. Thus, magichet doesn't look alike. But in terms of the gameplay - it's the game which is the closest to minecraft in terms of features.

Judge by yourself (only mc-like features listed, many omitted):
- unique mobs framework with mc-like drop, AI & weaponry
- explosions power/damage calculated with mechanics taken from minecraft wiki
- enchantments available
- action-based hunger (walk, run, jump, run+jump, dig, swim, regenerating, taking damage, fighting - all those actions drain you food saturation level) with mechanics taken from minecraft wiki
- unique armour framework which lets mobs to equip armiour and weapons, loose it's protection with the increase of wear
- mc-like doors (double doors included)... well, can't surprise anyone with that
- itemnames HUD
- achievements system
- cakes
- mc-like farming with bonemeal, wearable pumpkins etc
- abandoned mineshafts
- mc-like timings for weapons
- tools get worn by ANY kind of use
- player gets xp for using tools,
- diamonds
- gStone
- Industrial Craft machinery
- Nether
- mc-like stairs behaviour (auto-conversion)
- beds, buckets, boats, carts, dyes, sponges, item drop etc etc (also not a surprise)

Add some minetest-only features, ghosts, ethereal mapgen, multi-language support (despite the MT inferior support of locales (in comparison to FM)... And you'll get Magichet. A true bearer of minecraft's spirit within minetest engine.

But I'm NOT making a clone.

I'd like to get some extra help, but the code should be wtfpl.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

I mean features like craft guide showing not only craft recipes, but if there is no crafting recipe, another way to obtain it:

..................Smelting
iron lump --------------> Steel ingot

.................Pounding
iron lump ----------------> Iron powder

Steel Ingot|Steel Ingot|Steel Ingot|,........Crafting
|Stick | | -----------------------> Steel Pickaxe
|Stick | |

...................Digging
Iron ore -------------------->iron lump

Like this with appropriate GUI elements. (such as pickaxe image for digging, craft grid image for crafting etc)

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Hmm...
That's a good idea.
That adds to the idea of having in-game guide.
And can be added easy enough.

Does voxiworld have this?
If yes, then is there a place to browse the code w/o downloading it?

Also, I don't like the current look of the craft guide.
Should I make all formspecs dark - just like the /lang or rules_book menu?

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Thanks!
Yes Voxiworld has this. But no online sources. Maybe I could sign up and try to get Devyn to upload them.
It's your choice lol, I sort of like getting "blinded" when I open 4amn-mgc-inv.
But the hotbar position tends to be confusing at first
:)

EDIT: I think I've got the message to Devyn. I told him to come to the MT forums and post threads here as well and also add a github and post it on his forums and give me a link. I hope he replies soon so we can get his code.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Uhm.. what's wrong with hotbar positions?

PS: please, use full names or their equivalents, referring to me or my stuff.
What is "ok" to use for referring me: "4aiman", "konsorumaniakku", "chaiman", "KM", "4M", "Чайман".
4aiman is *two* words: tea + maniac.
But don't call me "teaman", please.
I hate it for one particular reason which I don't want to talk about in public :)
I'm ok with having "mgc" to stand for "magichet", though.

PPS:
My choice is to listen to those has something constructive to say. Should anyone want to contribute - you're welcome. Just bear in mind that code should be WTFPL, textures/media should be CC-BY or CC-BY-SA and the game will become partially non-commercial.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Having inventory hotbar slots at the bottom instead of top of inventory tends to get me. Because I've never played that way before in Minetest. But I guess I'll get used.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Ah, that's the problem )
It's minecraft-like.
Besides, the bottom row is the one nearest to the hotbar slots.

PS: In fact, It is me, who couldn't get used to minetest-style top row being the hotbar during 3+ years )