So, I played BlockMen's Wasteland game with the canyon Mapgen by paramat and stumbled upon some really weird water formations(of course, because canyon generates water), first, I remeoved the water but then, thinking about sfan5's oil mod, I was like "wouldn't it look so cool to fill the rivers with oil?!".
I made an oil texture, found out how to make it flow and merged the oil together with Wasteland and canyon and it was only one step to thinking "Couldn't I make a whole game out of that idea?!".
This is only the very start, but I thought people could already suggest ideas? And I plan on expanding it a lot.
Please keep in mind that it is currently heavily based on the three games/mods above, and only shows the first idea!
Now for the interesting part, some plans:
I want this to develop into a not so easy to beat survival game which aims to be rather realistic on the side of science.
- nice mapgen, I'll probably take parts of canyon and watershed(the irony) for this
- periodic table as far as it makes sense and other science stuff
- ruins of villages and cities
- toxic lakes, rivers, waste etc.
- (human) mobs
- instead of leaving the player alone with no crafting guide or a whole crafting guide, he will either have to try out(can be dangerous considering some scientific realism) or he will be lucky to find crafting recipes in ruins(motivation to go to dangerous places?)
- hunger, thirst, tiredness
- some goals for the player, like finding out what caused the dystopia or trying to get a bit of flora and fauna going
Tell me what you think.