[Game]Minetest_Hades[wip]

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

Re: [Game]Minetest_Hades[wip]

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Nice!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

You should add this link below the Github one:
Download
People can just click it to download. The Github link can be for people that want to help with the game.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Boy, this is one of my favourite subgames. I know it already for years, but never have bothered to comment on it so far.
I really love how the underground is made and how you progress through the game. It's really an unique and creative and unique subgame, although it is quite old and outdated. But it is still fully playable. I like the slow pace, it really gives a sense of progress.
What the game needs now in my opinion is polishing and updating as it has lots of outdated code.

The most important missing feature IMO is shift-clicking aka listrings, but it is luckily easy to implement.

I have posted some screenshots here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156&view=unread#p277577

So far I have been unable to find: Marble, obsidian, glowstone. I reached a depth of ca. Y<-900. Maybe I need to go even deeper?

Random thoughts and comments on the subgame

The good:
- Slow progress, it takes quite a long time to be able to build some decent structures. I like that, it gives quite an impression of progress
- Easily passes the 6 Hour Test (the game does not run out of new things to explore or do after 6 hours of playing)
- Very unique and interesting surface, quite hard to navigate (good there's low gravity)
- Thanks for giving a short and simple hint at the start of the game. Many subgames don't have anything like this.
- Getting deep in the underground is quite a challenge, it is much harder than in Minetest Game
- Weak torches are a genuis idea. They are brutal and make digging much harder, especially at the beginning
- The crafting tree is well-designed overall and really gives a sense of progress.
- The underground is great and challenging, the different stone types are a good and important feature. You just want to dig deeper. And deeper! I like the fact that there are stones which are actually harder. This is something lacking in many, many subgames
- The burned stone and mossy stone are useful to find nearby lava and water
- There are a lot of creative ideas for blocks which you can use for your builds

The bad:
- Rather outdated, many of the newer features (and mod) in recent Minetest releases are not used. It's still fully playable.
- You get free teleportations right from the start (set home / get home), although this game also utilizes travelnet, which is more expensive. I think the set home teleportation is overpowered as it is completely free. It also devalues the travelnet boxes and you can be very careless when digging underground
- Complex things like Mesecons and pipeworks are lacking help. This a missing feature of the respective mods
- Monsters are repetitive and easy as soon you got a bronze sword, there is not much balancing done here, nor is there any real sense of progress
- Rope box is very overpowered. The rope doesn't seem to ever end, so you basically never need to craft ladders again with a rope box
- Crafting your first bed is *really* expensive: Because you need red wool, which requires red dye, which require a red flower which requires a ruby (!).
- Hunger gets easy soon. Really just growing 1 or two apple trees is already more than enough to survive for quite a while. I don't really bother in farming other plants except
- Food insta-heals you. This means, you can survive almost everything, even a bath in the lava, given a large enough stockpile of food in your hotbar
- Tomatoes are more than enough to survive for a long time. I don't see a reason why I should bother to farm other plants or even craft the more complex foods.

The ugly:
- Flower pots are ugly
- 2D torches
- Columns are weird. Oddly, they are placed in the corner of a block, rather than in the center, which makes them unneccessarily hard to use
- Uses the low-quality crafting guide zcg.
- Apparently the sky of Planet Hades is blue and has clouds?! xD
- The “secret” stone door is giving itself away too easily. The “handle” is clearly visible (maybe make it visible on one side only) and when you point it, an infotext appears
- The diamond hoe is the only diamond tool

Bugs / oddities:
- Mobs never drop anything in Minetest 0.4.16. I could swear they dropped items in previous versions
- Cactus blocks and cactus bricks glow in the dark. Looking on these blocks makes me sick. :D
- Doors are silent if you open or close them from below
- Non-wooden doors make wooden sounds
- Pipes make wooden sounds
- Cobweb can not be dug by shears
- The shears crafting recipe is oddly shaped
- Mese Hoe is yellow although mese crystals are purple
- If you use volcanic ash in the columnia workstation, it yields unknown items
- The furnace code is very likely very outdated and needs updating from latest Minetest Game, many bugfixes have been applied since then
- There is an elevator door which has a stone texture but is made out of steel ingots

What could be improved:
- There's quite a large time gap between having a bronze pickaxe and having a mese pickaxe. Maybe one additional intermediate “tool level” could be introduced to straghten this out?
- Yes, the surface is meant to be barren, but exploring the surface is currently very unrewarding after you've found water. It's just the same everywhere. I wish there would be some kind of “biomes” with different types of ash or stone or different terrain shape. Players could find unique block and monsters (with unique drops) in these areas to make surface exploration more rewarding. Whatever your idea, my aim here is to make surface exploration more interesting and/or rewarding
- I think there should totally be mobs which swim in the lava to surprise you at the worst possible moment. :D
- Add the walls mod from Minetest Game (and use your own nodes, of course)
- Use the new Minetest Game fences API which also has fence gates
- Lava should be renewable or at least movable. It's planet Hades, after all

Minetest features which this subgame should use:
- Clouds can be customized and disabled
- You can shift-click on items for instant transfer of items between inventories. But all formspecs need to use the “listring” formspec element for this to work

Feature requests:
- Add burned cobblestone
- Use 3D torches
- Play sound when lava meets water
- Replace the crafting guide with [craftguide]. [zcg] is extremely outdated and broken. But I recommend to make this guide accessible via button (like the current one) and remove the crafting guide book and sign because it makes more sense that way
- Replace the current ugly flower pots with the flowerpots mod by D00Med
- Remove the rope box as it is overpowered
- Allow wool of any color for crafting a bed
- Hide the infotext of the secret stone door
- Make the handle of the secret stone door appear only on the “inner” side, but not on the other side, so it is really sneaky. :-)
- Make lava renewable
- Add an intake module which works for lava and is more expensive. That way, this game has 2 intake modules: One for water, one for lava
- Add boats. One for water (wood), and one for lava (expensive)
-

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

seems like you played Minetest Hades half of your life.
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Gerald
In-game: gerald7

by Gerald » Post

Wuzzy wrote: - Hunger gets easy soon. Really just growing 1 or two apple trees is already more than enough to survive for quite a while. I don't really bother in farming other plants except
[...]
- Tomatoes are more than enough to survive for a long time. I don't see a reason why I should bother to farm other plants or even craft the more complex foods.
This is a common problem. I thought about three different approaches to solve it:
  • Record what the player is eating and lower the effect down to zero if there is no variation.
  • Use e.g. mymonths and make food seasonal.
  • Introduce a system of pests that randomly disables some crops.
In addition:
  • Disallow food to be stored in chests.
  • Make food spoil.