Glünggi

[Game]Minetest_Hades[wip]

by Glünggi » Post

Download
GitHub

Licenses:
Spoiler
All my work is under WTFPL License
The extern mods have different Licenses. look at the modfolders for details.

Extern mods are(mods that not from me and not part of the standard minetest-game):

3d forniture
viewtopic.php?id=2207

bags
viewtopic.php?id=3081

bedrock
http://www.moontest.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9231

boost_cart
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10172

farming_plus
viewtopic.php?id=2787

glowcrystals
viewtopic.php?id=9047

home gui
viewtopic.php?id=3101

highlandpools
viewtopic.php?id=8400

hud
viewtopic.php?id=6342

inventory plus
viewtopic.php?id=3100

item tweaks
https://github.com/minetest-technic/item_tweaks

item frames
viewtopic.php?id=5600

kerova
viewtopic.php?id=8054

mesecons
viewtopic.php?t=628

mobs redo (an old version with elements from adventuretestgame)
viewtopic.php?t=9917
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9184

pipeworks
viewtopic.php?t=2155

plantlife (old destroyed code)
viewtopic.php?id=3898

signs lib
viewtopic.php?id=2041

trash can
viewtopic.php?id=6315

travel net
viewtopic.php?id=4877

vines
viewtopic.php?id=2344

zcg
viewtopic.php?id=5564

***most mods are modified

Its there any of not knowing violation, please conntact me, we will find a solution. My English is very poor and there is mutch room for missunderstandings.
Important notices and short game guide::
Spoiler
About the Game
-- new* - you need build 0.4.13 +
-- Its a game, so you must install it in the gamefolder not the modfolder.
-- be sure that the Minetest.conf file in the maindirectory of minetest dosnt have any parameter who are in conflict with the conf- file from hadesdirectory. exp. Mapgenparameters or stuff like " give_initial_stuff = false " - because the parameter of the main conf file overwrite the hades conf file parameter, and this can have some unwelcome effects
-- Minetest Hades its developed for Mapgen V6.
-- Minetest Hades is a litlebit different to the original Minetest.. there only 1 Biome ..with the focus on terraforming.. not everyone will like it... but maybe there are some freaks outthere
-- Its still under develop cause im never fully satisfied... but its now on a playable status, so i think i can share it. (Its my first game, im still learning)
-- There will be lags. The game need some time for calculating the fluids and the lavacooling when you entered a new area but after a while the lags will gone. (more caves = more lags)
-- Take another mapsheed if you spawn into lava.
-- some lava and waterblobs dosnt flow, sorry about that.
-- ext. mods can make some troubles cause there are many chances on Default

Backgroundstory:
Youre colonyship was crashed on planet Hades. Hades is a very young planet and characterized by highly vulcanic activitys and a lot of fertile ash. Asteroids have brought some water on Hades
So there are the basics for life and you just must help them to get the nature going, make the planet habitable and survive
Not every colonist has duly arrived... the most of them have been mutated and strayed around the planet... but for some unknown reason they dosnt suffer water.
Hades wasnt unpeopled ..there are creatures and most of them live in the underground and darkness.

How to start:
youre crashed on Hades with the following items: 1 ironpike, 12 apples, 1 walllamp and a stick.
At first u should look up to be sure that no lava is flowing down on you.
Next you should dig some stone to craft a stonesword with the stick... once the lags allow it.
Now explore the area and search for some water.
Dig some stone and ash to craft fertile sand and place it in neighbor to water to become dirt
Take a dirt and a apple to craft a sapling.. plant the sapling on dirt to become wood and leaves from the tree.
Make more dirt and place it above the water.
((Sometimes the soil dry out, when you leave the area, when is placed on waterlevel - so is better to place the dirt one node above the waterlevel. Then should it not happen))
Take 2 mossy stone (near water) and a dirt to craft grass
Grass + dirt = junglegrass
Dig the grass and the junglegrass to became some seeds.
Plant the seeds on the soiled dirt that you have placed over the Watersource.
And now survive with the craftingguide.

Things you should know:
-- fire disabled (deleted)
-- Flowing water turns lavasource into watersource and flowing lava into vulcanic gravel
-- Vulcanic gravel can only dig by a shovel.(no falling node).
-- 9 leaves can be craft to 3 dirt
-- mobs spawn on stone, ash and tuff
-- Ash turn into clay if it have contact to water.
-- Ash also turn into fertile sand if they are leaves nearly.
-- Cobble turns into mossycobble if it have contact to water... and mosslycobble turns into gravel if it have contact to flowing water.
-- Tuff is too breakable for tools so it will not be in the group stone
-- There are no buckets in Hades, so you need a waterpump to spread water.
-- bellow -500 you can build a marblefactory. Chondrit turns into marble if it is bellow -500 and it must be in nearly of 4 nodes to lava and it also must have directly contact to water.
-- Vulcanic gravel turns into obsidian bellow -1000 it must have directly contact to lava and water must be nearly.
-- weak torches can be upgrade with a string to brigth torches
-- you need nails to build ladders.
-- Plants grow with ligthbrigthness of 8 instead of 13. Undergroundfarming allowed.
-- 2 emerald = 1 sapphire, 2 sapphire = 1 ruby, 2 ruby = 1 diamond.
-- sugarcane spawns in the near of papyrus it dosnt need water to grow but dirt
-- fertile sand turns into dirt in the near of 10 nodes to water and directly contact of a dirt.
-- With the "Staff of Gaia" u can turn following nodes into dirt: "Ash", "fertile Sand", "burned stone", "stone", "cobble", "mossystone", "tuff", "burned tuff","mossytuff","mossycobble"
-- PaleTreeSaplings can be plant on ash
-- Cactus grows on ash (fuellvalue(25) between tree(20) and coal(30))
-- Prismatic furnance is faster than the original furnance

Ores:
coal +60
iron +- 0
copper - 115
tin -115
mese -200
gold -333
emerald +20
sapphire - 300
ruby -900
diamond -1200

max Ore gen on -10'000

A save mining exp:
w= water
l= ladder
o= light
s= stone
-=air
ssswlsss
ssswlsss
ssswloss
ssswlsss
ssswlsss
ssswssss
ss-w--ss
ss-w--ss
Lavasource
ssssssss
sometimes the water stop to flow, dig something next to the water, then the water starts to flow again.

Video:
Spoiler
w/o speaking and bad quality.. its my first video :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrXi_ukVn4g
I hope you will have some fun and im sorry about my english.
Last edited by Glünggi on Tue Jan 19, 2016 14:48, edited 12 times in total.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: [Game]Minetest_Hades[1.1]

by philipbenr » Post

@Glunggi: Readable, and the funny thing is, there are some Highschool freshmen in my spanish class that spell worse in both languages. XD

Ontopic: Looks good. I like how you start out with the nice bit of green in the middle of hell.

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

philipbenr wrote:@Glunggi: Readable
Ok :) Thats fine.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Good idea for a game.

PerrySteven
In-game: PerrySteven

by PerrySteven » Post

This is a really great game! I like these hardcore types. And the setting of a volcanic planet makes it even more fun.

Mokarran

by Mokarran » Post

I love this game! I've been looking for a terraforming game for forever. Finding that first block of water was so hard I literally cheered when I finally found one. From there, I dug an aquaduct to carry the water to a nearby lava lake. I love the different types of stone, ores, and gems. I finally have a marble factory and have dug deep enough to find sapphires. I get so excited every time I find a bit of color embedded in the stone. I even love those killer cave spiders! I wish I could keep a blue one as a pet, the color is so pretty. ^_^

Awesome game! Thanks for creating and sharing!

Here is a screenshot of my base, my farm, my papyrus and sugarcane fields, and some trees. Still a lot of work left to do. Yay! :D

Nathan.S
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21

by Nathan.S » Post

looks pretty cool. Might have to do a play-through/review of this game.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

After 5 months of no response, i estimate, that not really someone have a interest of this game.
So much the more i was surprise when i see this positive Feedback now.
Thanks a lot for your answers and i hope you will have some more fun with it :)
So maybee is it time for me to blow away the dust and to rework and extend the game a bit
@Mokarran
If it happen, that when you come back from mining and you find your farm dry out and all the soil destroyed:
This dosnt happen, when you place the dirt a node higher than the waterlevel. i dont know the risen for this or if the bug allready exist with the newer builds... but if it happens... then try it with one node above the waterlevel.

GarulfoDG
In-game: GarulfoDG

by GarulfoDG » Post

I love the idea! But i have trouble with mapgen : there are lots of trees. Image
I use mapgen V6.

BTW there is no item in my inventory ; maybe is it caused by my 0.4.12-dev version ? Am I the only one ?

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

@GarulfoDG
Is it posible that you have some mapgen-parameter in your general minetest.conf in the Minetest- maindirectory? And also a line " give_initial_stuff = false " ?
Because this main-conf file, overwrite the minetest.conf from the gamesfolder. its a command structure higher .. its the main conf.
Try to chance this parameters to
For Items at start

Code: Select all

give_initial_stuff = true 
For no trees

mg_flags = notrees, caves, mudflow
For a hilly Landscape

mgv6_np_terrain_base = -8, 40, (32, 32, 32), 2321, 5, 0.6
for higher jumping

movement_speed_jump = 9.2
movement_gravity = 7.81
or disable it "--" or delete the whole cheese so that the Main Minetest.conf file in the Maindirectory of Minetest (not the one from Hadesdirectory) is empty (make a savecopy first).. else i have no idea whats wrong.
I use the 4.12 dev Version too...that should not be the problem.

GarulfoDG

by GarulfoDG » Post

Thanks a lot Glünggi, it works great :
  • backup my minetest.conf file
  • add all the parameters
  • start minetest and enjoy the Hades game ;-)
  • (simply deleting minetest.conf didnt worked for me)
That said, i really loved my first hour playing your game. The gravity modification and all the ars/tuff/stone blocks made me fell in a foreign volcanic planet.

Do you plan adding "starting quests" to guide first time player ? For example your "How to start" section:
"search for some water" / "craft fertile sand with sone and ash" / "place it in next to water to get dirt"

Few small things i noticed :
  • Weak torchs are really really weak. Maybe it's my brightness configuration, but they are useless for me. But that forced me to stay near lava lake at night, wich is great for the gameplay.
  • I quickly found a trick to transform lavalake into water lake, wich fell unrealistic.
    Spoiler
    Obviously it is a side effect of the "flowing water turns lavasource into watersource" mecanism : just dig a block next to lavasource block. The digged block iteself MUST NOT be touching lavasource on it 4 sides, but it MUST have lavasource on one of its diagonals. When you dig the block, the flowing water appears on the diagonal of the lavasource, turning all the adjacent lavasource in watersource in a 5-10 block perimeter.
    I guess Mokarran found it too, because i can recognise the typical water pattern on his base screenshot. That way we don't need waterpump to spread water : it lower the difficulty level, but made me fell like a cheater. Is the "lavasource into watersource" a fonction to keep landscape while terraforming ?
Again, thanks for this great game. I think i'm gonna spend many hours playing it ;-)

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

@GarulfoDG
Yea.. Quest would be fine.. but my modingskills are limited i have also my problems with formspecs and other nice features. i'm not really a programmer . My skriptingsskills are based on copy n chance and try n error. the most of time i dont really know wath i do :D

I know that turning Lavalake in to waterlake is simple and unrealistic... isnt really a secret. (Water > Lava) ... but there is a lot of Lava. And the goal is to turn the lava in to water and the ash into dirt to becomme a habitable Place
The problem to build on a Lavalake is to becomme dirt, cause ash isnt on place and Sand is a falling node.
Conversely: when you build on land you will have the problem with the water but to becomme fertile sand is very simple.
You can place some treenode on ash with a leave node on the top of it- so you can really quik build a "forest" with handplaced 2 nodes trees.
The leaves turns the ash after a while into fertile sand. and later you just must spread the water with a pump, in distance to 20 nodes, so the sand turn into dirt and you have very fast many dirty Land.

So on land you have a placed ground and rare water and on a lavalake btw ocean you have a lot of water but you must place the ground on top of it.
So you have assets on both places.

It is clearly easier to settle on a lava Lake... but not cheating
If you're looking for a challenge, than find yourself somewhere in the country a possible small lake... so 2 x 2 nodes large and try there to survive ;)
(i have tested it.. makes fun but you need patience)
--
Weak torches should be a emergency solution .. so that you not in absolute darkness without any string. I placed it only in a early gamephase or when im in a cave and out of torches.. to see a littlebit with this glowing coal.
---

In Hades you have to dig deep into the ground. you should reach -1000 to becomme Obsidian and deeper to becomme the maximum of ore's or Diamonds.
So you urged to go downwards.
The fastes ( save) way are ladders... so i have build a little obstacle and add nails to the crafting recipe. Iron is rar on the ground but the MutantAshmobs drop rare iron. So you can farm you first iron by killing those Mobs.

And also you need torches to go downwards...so i made weake torches as a obstacle.
So you need strings first to upgrade youre weak torches to a usable ligthsource.. you also need strings to build a bag.. so you must arrange you reccources.

you must plan youre Miningtrips an there are some preparations before you can go down.
--

And finally ..i know there are unrealistics elements in the game... but gameplay > modingskills > realistics
PS: That a so mutch young planet like Hades have marble and coal is unreallistic too ;)

But if some elemets are to worry for you ... feel free to change it.
I have chance the standardgame to becomme hades.. you can chance hades to becomme superhades.. or so :D

That was very mutch of text for me who cant english.. i hope is readable :D

GarulfoDG

by GarulfoDG » Post

Thanks for answering ! And don't worry, your english is more than good enough lol

Well, now i better understand. When i wrote my question i was still preparing my miningtrip searching for iron on surface - exactly as you said.

Sorry for the "unrealistic", it wasn't a negative criticism. As i don’t have any modding skills or experience, i am just amazed and curious. But i learned much reading your answer, specially how you designed the gameplay.
... going back to Hades !

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

Sorry for the "unrealistic",
Easy ...i havent understand as negative... and its the true ..it isnt realistic :D
... going back to Hades !
Have fun and thank you for playing :)

-------

Edit 06/25/15:
Im working on a new version. I think it will awayable in 1-2 weeks
A preview of the chancelogg:
- powerplant reciep chanced, allowed all saplings
- Chest reciep chanced, allowed all wooden planks
- add strew + add it to stair
- add wool to stairs
- add cactus and obsidian bricks + add it to stairs and columnia
- color addjustments for all colored stuff
- obsidiantransforming chanced (old = Intervall 2000, Chance 75 - New = Intervall 1111, chance 65)
- New textures for carpeds
- chance carpeds "buildable_to" too false (so you dont destroy carpeds, if you try to build on it)
- add glowing cristal (max high = -5000 found in essexit)
- add glowing glass
- add birchtree (craft to palewood- equal to the Paletree)
- add simple bushes (flowersvariation)
- add bedrock (-30000)
- add rusty fence
- add bronze rails
- delete some oversize unused textures (skybox gui)

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

you should use a custom skybox

that sky looks too much like a wel developed planet's sky

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

@Diamond knight
I have try it... i also paint some skyboxtextures... but i dont figure it out how it works.
My programming- and english skills are very limited.

edit: 7/9/15
Now i figure it out how it works, but i dont wana miss the day/night rythme, allways the same light is boring... so maybe later, when its possible to simulate day/night with a selfmade skytexture.
(the code is still but inactive in /default/player.lua (in the comming update) - so you can reactivate it, if you want add some selfmade skyboxes)

Info:
My update is ready for upload ..but i need some time to testing it before i can upload it. Because i have chance some external mods about the undeclared global variables, and i dont know if this chances makes any trouble.. so i need to make a little testingsession first.
Maybe is it awayable this weekend... maybe a few days later.

Update - Preview:
Spoiler
Chancelogg:
- add wool to stairs
- obsidiantransforming chanced (old = Intervall 2000, Chance 75 - New = Intervall 1111, chance 65)
- chance carpeds "buildable_to" to false (so you dont destroy carpeds, if you try to build on it)
- add glowing crystalblock to stairs
- add glowing glass
- add bedrock (-30000)
- add rusty fence
- add bronze rails
- Chance reciep for bricks and stairs - now it gives more units
- add sandstonebricks to stairs (the forgotten one)
- add bronze ladders
- add bronze + rusty latern.
- eleminate some undeclare global variables (and pray it works)
- mobs are a litlebit stronger.(not testet yet - last minute chance)

(notize: there still are some warnings about animation and global variables..they should not have any negative effects to the game. i miss the knowledge to correct all of them)

Glünggi

Re: [Game]Minetest_Hades[1.3]

by Glünggi » Post

Version 1.3 is online
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iln21tbn2njyj ... s_V1_3.zip
Patchnotes:
Spoiler
- add wool to stairs
- chance carpeds "buildable_to" to false (so you dont destroy carpeds, if you try to build on it)
- add glowing crystalblock to stairs
- add glowing glass
- add bedrock (-30000)
- add rusty fence
- add bronze rails
- Chance reciep for bricks and stairs - now it gives more units
- add sandstonebricks to stairs (the forgotten one)
- add bronze ladders
- add bronze + rusty latern.
- add applepie
- eleminate some undeclare global variables (and pray it works)
- mobs are a litlebit stronger.(not testet yet - last minute chance)

(notize: there still are some warnings about animation and global variables..they should not have any negative effects to the game. i miss the knowledge to correct all of them)

ABJ
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

How about you change the sky? Like to a darker, more red-green-oriented color? It would *actually* *make* the planet foreign looking. Now ATM it looks like a messed up minetest_game.
And how about a new lava texture? I'm ready to provide one if you like. (And maybe new water too?)
And see extraterrestrial games such as moontest for inspiration. They've got a lot for you.

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

Yea a new lavatextur would be nice. But it should not animate, cause on a big area they look like Disco.. blinking Clusters...
And yes another Sky would be nice too. But with a selfmade Skyboxtextur you must play allways with the same ligth, cause the Textur left his brigth in the nigth and also no sun and moon awayable to fake the ligthsource on a moonrealmlike Sky with stars who is allways dark.
The moon on moonrealm dosnt rotate.. so you have allways dayligth... but i love the day and night cyrcle... thats the Problem.

ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

by ABJ » Post

Well there must be a way to get around this. I'm pretty sure there is. I simply can't see Celeron (Or any other devs, for that matter :P) being so idiotic as to not show a way. We'll have to do some asking and rummaging.
And adding a new, unanimated lavatexture would require some code-changing (unless you already have unanimated ones that is). But it shouldn't be too hard.
All the same, source and flowing texture should be different.
I'll try tp do the changes.

Glünggi

by Glünggi » Post

The possibilities for skybox are atm limited... maybe in the near future... i dont know.
Then the animations are clusterwise... i dont know how this could be chance...
My communication skills are also limited .. my mode of expression and appreciation in english.
so i feel to be unfit to discuss on this set of Problems with the Dev's.. im sorry abouth that.

ABJ

by ABJ » Post

Well, I'm pretty sure the devs will atleast try to understand you. It's worth a try.
Or maybe someone else could do?

Ferk
GitHub: Ferk

by Ferk » Post

In my opinion, this is an interesting game that deserves more attention.

I like all the terraforming logic, and the fact that you can turn a pretty adverse wasteland into an oasis full of life.
I do have some observations:
  • Maybe I was just lucky with my seed, but imho, water is a bit way too common in the surface. it would be cool if finding it took some more exploration (without making it outright impossible).
  • The underground is a bit boring. Except for the occasional water and lava pockets there's not that much to see, this is ok for normal games because they at least have some variability on the surface, but in this game there's not much to motivate doing any exploration. I was digging for a long while without finding any caves. Maybe you could include the caverealms mod. It would be awesome if you managed to add underground biomes (supported in v7 mapgen, I think).
  • Btw, requiring iron for ladders is quite harsh, I typically dig straight down when I want to explore the underground and use a lot of ladders, but with nails that's not really an option so mining is much more tedious in this game. Perhaps you could make it so you can receive a lot of nails (like at least 10?) from a single iron ingot. Then it will be 50 instead of 500 iron ingots to be able to reach level -500.
  • For a new user, or for someone who just downloads your game to try it out without reading the description much, it's very hard to know what do you have to do. Since the very basic rules that are needed from the start are unique to this game. I installed it the first time when I started playing minetest and was looking for games but I was doing this quickly and didn't fully understand what I had to do, so when I started playing it looked like it was just a plain wasteland with nothing to do other than just walk around and die of starvation. It was only later when I stumbled upon this thread again after I was more experienced that I gave it a second chance. It would be nice if you could add some sort of message for when a player joins for the first time or give them a book that can be read at any time with some short welcome, description and some explanation on the basics of how to start to obtain soil and trees, making them know that you have to actively turn this arid land into something fertile if you don't want to starve.
  • Also: please delete the old version or hide it under a spoiler tag.. the first time I downloaded the game I was stupid enough to pick the older version (it was bigger in size and it was posted immediately after the first link... also I was mostly looking for github links so my eyes went straight to that section). You should definitely consider making a git repo, this way you don't have to keep old versions and I might even clone it and make perhaps pull request if I actually find something I could do.
{ ☠ Dungeontest ☠ , ᗧ••myarcade•• }

eduardomezencio
GitHub: eduardomezencio

by eduardomezencio » Post

This game is really interesting! I'd like to reiterate a thing some people here said: please, github it. It's good to help people keep up to date, to help possible contributors and you may find it good even for your own work. Keep the good work!

linushsao
IRC: linushsao
In-game: linus

by linushsao » Post

something happen in my dirt,my dirt seems has broken mesh.