[Game] Voxus (cancelled)

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by Kenney » Post

ABJ wrote:I seriously doubt Kenney will release the sauce.
The game will be completely open source, not only to comply with the Minetest license rules but also to allow modding and make the game suitable for educational use.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

ABJ
Member
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 13:02
GitHub: ABJ-MV
In-game: ABJ
Location: In Earth orbit, with a perigee of 1048 km and an apogee of 1337 km and an inclination of 69 degrees.

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by ABJ » Post

I know that! I just wasn't sure you'd release the sauce as well.

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
Posts: 6365
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by rubenwardy » Post

Minetest has tomatoes, but no sauce. Will VoXus correct this hole?

User avatar
Nathan.S
Member
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 17:47
GitHub: NathanSalapat
IRC: NathanS21
In-game: NathanS21
Location: Bigsby Texas
Contact:

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by Nathan.S » Post

Guys, are you forgetting the awesome sauce? This game looks to exude it.
I record Minetest videos, Mod reviews, Modding tutorials, and Lets plays.
Check out my website, and brand new Minetest Modding Course

User avatar
lightonflux
Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 07:22
In-game: lof
Location: Germany

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by lightonflux » Post

Kenney wrote: Planning to release the previously drawn textures and items to the public domain, so they can be used in other projects.
Please choose a license like CC0 or WTFPL. The concept of Public Domain does not exist in all countries, so the work would default back to all rights reserved in those countries.

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by Kenney » Post

lightonflux wrote:Please choose a license like CC0 or WTFPL. The concept of Public Domain does not exist in all countries, so the work would default back to all rights reserved in those countries.
Oh yeah absolutely CC0, just like all the other game assets I've released.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

User avatar
MirceaKitsune
Member
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 22:31
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune
Location: Romania, Bucharest
Contact:

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Kenney wrote:
lightonflux wrote:Please choose a license like CC0 or WTFPL. The concept of Public Domain does not exist in all countries, so the work would default back to all rights reserved in those countries.
Oh yeah absolutely CC0, just like all the other game assets I've released.
Wait... wait. You are the creator of that famous Public Domain sprite pack on OpenGameArt? I saw those in your avatar, but it didn't hit me that you are that Kenney. Wonderful work on them! Also great to see that such a good artist found Minetest and is making their own game with the engine... now I am even more intrigued in the Voxus project!

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: Voxus (WIP)

by Kenney » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:Wait... wait. You are the creator of that famous Public Domain sprite pack on OpenGameArt?
Yep! That's what currently funds my whole company hah!

Progress update:

Changed the visual style of trees, they look like actual trees now.
Also improved some textures here and there and made all textures a bit more colorful.

Image

Image
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

User avatar
staticvoid
New member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 09:55
GitHub: mircojanisch
In-game: staticvoid
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by staticvoid » Post

this looks so amazing!

User avatar
MirceaKitsune
Member
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 22:31
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune
Location: Romania, Bucharest
Contact:

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by MirceaKitsune » Post

I really love the way this looks... very beautiful and clean! Can't wait for a download to become available.

Rui
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59

[DELETED]

by Rui » Post

[DELETED]
Last edited by Rui on Fri Nov 04, 2016 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by Kenney » Post

staticvoid wrote:this looks so amazing!
MirceaKitsune wrote:I really love the way this looks... very beautiful and clean! Can't wait for a download to become available.
Thanks!
Rui wrote:Mod of the "default" of Voxus have a compatible with mod of "default" of minetest_game?
Not sure what you're trying to say there, but Voxus is a subgame. It will in theory be compatible with all mods that Minetest(_game) has.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

User avatar
Excalibur Zero
Member
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 19:45
GitHub: ExcaliburZero
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by Excalibur Zero » Post

Kenney wrote:
Rui wrote:Mod of the "default" of Voxus have a compatible with mod of "default" of minetest_game?
Not sure what you're trying to say there, but Voxus is a subgame. It will in theory be compatible with all mods that Minetest(_game) has.
I think what Rui is talking about is how most Minetest games use the "default" mod which contains things like wood, apples, water, and other basic nodes. Most mods for Minetest depend on the default mod for different things such as crafting recipes and functions.

If Voxus does not use the "default" mod or changes it to a notable degree, then it will not be compatible with many other Minetest mods that depend on it. See Big Freakin Dig for an example of a subgame that breaks such compatibility. (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9036)

So Rui appears to be asking whether Voxus will be using the un-modified "default" mod or not.

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by Kenney » Post

Ah right gotcha! Nope, all default items and nodes will be removed and thus Voxus won't use default.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

User avatar
philipbenr
Member
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 01:56
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi
Location: United States

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by philipbenr » Post

Then I suggest that you add in aliases so that people can convert default stuff to Voxus things. Like if I wanted to use my castle mod, I would want to craft, and a lot of the crafts would require default items. So, I would use the item you aliased in place of the original.

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by Kenney » Post

philipbenr wrote:Then I suggest that you add in aliases so that people can convert default stuff to Voxus things. Like if I wanted to use my castle mod, I would want to craft, and a lot of the crafts would require default items. So, I would use the item you aliased in place of the original.
Good call, will definitely do that :)
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

User avatar
cd2
Member
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 06:30
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2
Location: Linux
Contact:

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by cd2 » Post

nice subgame!

Dragonop
Member
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop
Location: Argentina

Re: [Game] Voxus (currently in development)

by Dragonop » Post

This subgame looks so good I can't believe my eyes anymore

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: [Game] Voxus (cancelled)

by Kenney » Post

Sad news today for those excited to see Voxus in Minetest.

I've decided to switch engines and continue developing Voxus using Unity and Voxelmetric. There are a few reasons why I've decided to switch;

First and foremost; I'd like to have total creative freedom on how the game looks and acts. Currently, Minetest offers very little in this regard. Without diving into the source files, there's no way to properly change the skybox, add visual effects or change the way the game behaves. I'm sure these features get added to Minetest in the future, but as it stands right now it's just not usable for this project.

Second is the fact that Unity supports multiple platforms out of the box. With very little work the project can be exported to Android, iOS and game consoles like Wii U. Especially Wii U is important, my company has recently gained permission to purchase a development kit and I'd love to check that out.

The performance of Minetest is often lacking and I think that in combination with a modern framework and engine a lot of issues can be solved in regards to this.

I hope you guys understand my decision to do this and continue supporting this project, I won't be updating this thread with progress anymore because well, it's not Minetest anymore.

Here's a screenshot of Voxus running on the new engine.

Image

You can follow me on Twitter to keep up-to-date with progress.
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

Rui
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:59

[DELETED]

by Rui » Post

[DELETED]
Last edited by Rui on Fri Nov 04, 2016 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

TG-MyinaWD
Member
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 21:22
GitHub: Maddie-Myina
IRC: Maddie-Myina
In-game: .
Location: Far Eden

Re: [Game] Voxus (cancelled)

by TG-MyinaWD » Post

Yeah Unity3D is an solid engine if you know what you doing.
But Looks still great. I just hope it still will be as fun and playable and Free like your promised could say..

But, do add a Minetest Easter Egg would make it remember minetest was the start.
And, just maybe you could add this outstanding game on "Xbox one" someday.
Also I might use your idea of having somewhat, the crafting layout like craft an block with an upgrade but we will see.
Also going follow you right now ;)
Kenney wrote:Sad news today for those excited to see Voxus in Minetest.

I've decided to switch engines and continue developing Voxus using Unity and Voxelmetric. There are a few reasons why I've decided to switch;

First and foremost; I'd like to have total creative freedom on how the game looks and acts. Currently, Minetest offers very little in this regard. Without diving into the source files, there's no way to properly change the skybox, add visual effects or change the way the game behaves. I'm sure these features get added to Minetest in the future, but as it stands right now it's just not usable for this project.

Second is the fact that Unity supports multiple platforms out of the box. With very little work the project can be exported to Android, iOS and game consoles like Wii U. Especially Wii U is important, my company has recently gained permission to purchase a development kit and I'd love to check that out.

The performance of Minetest is often lacking and I think that in combination with a modern framework and engine a lot of issues can be solved in regards to this.

I hope you guys understand my decision to do this and continue supporting this project, I won't be updating this thread with progress anymore because well, it's not Minetest anymore.

Here's a screenshot of Voxus running on the new engine.

Image

You can follow me on Twitter to keep up-to-date with progress.
I'm a Transgender no shame about it.
I prefer to be considered as a "Girl/Lady/Miss/Madam/Female" for now on.

User avatar
Kenney
Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:12
In-game: Kenney

Re: [Game] Voxus (cancelled)

by Kenney » Post

Rui wrote:Will you release UFO Race?
And, will you publish the source code of Voxus (Minetest based)?
UFO Race will be released, the source code of Voxus (Minetest) won't be. There's nothing much to look at regarding the source and most code snippets are either only catered to Minetest or half-implemented.
Alt. Tester wrote:Yeah Unity3D is an solid engine if you know what you doing.
Worked with Unity before and yep, it's just really good. I like the workflow better than Unreal, which was a second option.
Alt. Tester wrote:I just hope it still will be as fun and playable and Free like your promised could say..
Yep, it'll still be free.
Alt. Tester wrote:But, do add a Minetest Easter Egg would make it remember minetest was the start.
I'll consider adding something :)
Alt. Tester wrote:And, just maybe you could add this outstanding game on "Xbox one" someday.
Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are currently not really planned, but hey, who knows.
Alt. Tester wrote:Also I might use your idea of having somewhat, the crafting layout like craft an block with an upgrade but we will see.
Go right ahead! :D
Games:
Voxus | UFO Race

User avatar
jp
Member
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 09:03
GitHub: kilbith
Location: France

Re: [Game] Voxus (cancelled)

by jp » Post

You have cleverly promoted your company here and there anyhow :)

I hope you'll be not ungrateful in contributing - at least one time - to Minetest as much as all the help and the care you got... Privatising the sources and the assets of VoXus is not a good start. Releasing on Steam near an assorted set of purchasable products, neither.

Also I pass over the probable attempt to subtract some of our devs to your service and the non-collaborative spirit in PM.

Good luck ! :)

User avatar
Wuzzy
Member
Posts: 4128
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:01
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Voxus (cancelled)

by Wuzzy » Post

How can Voxus be itself free software if its game engine (Unity) isn't?

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
Posts: 6365
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: [Game] Voxus (cancelled)

by rubenwardy » Post

I thought this might happen. It is a major falling of the Minetest project. A game engine which doesn't really work that well as a game engine. Minetest as an idea has potential, but the implementation doesn't really work.

This was the most exciting project I've seen with Minetest in a while, and I'm sad that I'll never see it running in Minetest myself.

Will you still be offering bounties, or are those cancelled as well?
Wuzzy wrote:How can Voxus be itself free software if its game engine (Unity) isn't?
I imagine it will be open source, rather than free.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests