Re: [Game] grailtest:Hyperborea [v5]

afflatus
GitHub: 0-afflatus
IRC: afflatus
In-game: afflatus

Re: [Game] grailtest:Hyperborea [v5]

by afflatus » Post

Find the Grail

Sub-game for Minetest, with a dark-age / medieval swords and sorcery theme.
Grailtest is a remix set specifically in north-west Europe before the invention of gunpowder.
Github: https://github.com/0-afflatus/grailtest
Support me: https://www.patreon.com/afflatus

Compatibility

grailtest 5 is compatible with minetest > 5.4.0

Mods designed for other games may not work as expected. While Grailtest does provide some legacy support for MTG mods, those with fewer dependencies are more likely to be useable.

Development

The development of grail_test has tended to roughly follow evolution. It features a stripped-down core, which only really provides the raw elements and a bit of legacy support. Game Universe specific features have been stripped out into minerals, materials, food, tools and equipment mods. These were re-introduced in sequence in order to get the chain of dependencies right. The game also provides legacy support for farming and moreores. The tech level of the core game is not intended to progress beyond Archimedean simple machines.

Aims:
Open-ended swords & sorcery environment. Magic system with increased magical pseudo-realism based on the doctrine of signatures; that is, things like crafting recipes should be logical and believable given the fantastic nature of the game-world. Players gain a sense of progression through awards, quests and earnable "power-ups" (limited privs). I am also planning to increase the challenge of survival through hunger, mobs and natural disasters.

I want to get licensing and credits right, particularly relating to textures, but similarly if I've used your code and failed to mention it. I don't remember where I got everything from, I have done my best. I will accept issues up to and including DFSG compliance, but I'm mostly concerned with general release blockers right now. I am interested in how well external mods integrate, although I'm not bothered about supporting the vast majority, I'm up for adding more aliases or generic support.

All feedback is potentially useful.

5.dev (0.5.0) - "Hyperborea"

Version 5 boasts an extensive core rewrite which has rationalised node names, reduced default, fire and farming to legacy stubs and introduced a more genetic directory structure. v5, v7, valleys, carpathian and flat mapgens are supported; support for v6 has been dropped. Weather is now provided via a customised climate mod, providing beautiful ever-changing skies; trees can be felled properly, saplings autoplant and most common nodes can be painted using the paintbrush tool. The shape library provides column pieces, slopes, corner slopes, slabs and stairs for common nodes.

Many new textures have been created specifically for this game, it features several different rock types, straw, hay bales and cob, gem types, rock plants, heath shrubs and fruit bushes, several species of trees and lots of different kinds of flowers. You can use these resources to craft bonfires, wooden buckets, cauldrons and a range of gem-topped staves as well as all the usual picks, shovels and axes. The barrel and vessels work together to ferment and dispense cheese and beverages.

0.4.0 - "Avalonia"

This release is a complete rewrite from the ground up, featuring a total overhaul of the mapgen, to support v5, v6, v7, valleys, flat and fractal mapgens. This is the core game; Experience, Fauna, Magic and Technology have been separated out and are currently being developed as separate mods, some of which will be included in future releases. This has had two months rigorous testing on a live server and has proved pretty reliable.
Spoiler
Features:
  • Stamina
  • Mapgen auto-compatibility with biome_lib and weather
  • Slopes
  • New rock and soil types
  • New stone bricks, shingles, timber-frames and tiles
  • New gem types
  • New vegetables, rock plants, sea plants, heath shrubs and fruit bushes
  • Group based food recipes
  • 'Natural' dyeing recipes
  • Bonfire
  • Straw, hay bales and cob
  • Staves, plain and gem-topped
  • Wooden bucket
  • Cauldron, Barrel work together with vessels to ferment and dispense drinks
  • Basic bow, fishing
  • Rustic decor - Wooden Panel
  • Variety of metal and wooden fences
  • Lantern and Stained Glass
  • Written books
  • Improved sounds
Core modules providing functionality previously in 'default':
  • mineral (plus some legacy support for moreores)
  • mapgen
  • plant (plus legacy support for farming)
  • food
  • tool -- default tools
  • material -- default materials
  • equipment -- default equipment
  • tree
UI:
  • command
  • give_initial_stuff
  • sethome
  • creative
Flora:
  • biome_lib
  • flowers
  • moretrees
  • plantlife_modpack
Equipment and materials from minetest_game:
  • fire
  • boats
  • bucket
  • doors
  • dye
  • stairs
  • vessels
  • wool
  • xpanes
Additional Mods:
  • signs_lib
  • decor
  • fachwerk
  • simplyslopes
  • stamina
Map Generation

The game supports v5, v7, valleys, carpathian and flat mapgens.

Textures

The game uses a combination of 16x and 32x textures. Some very common low-detail nodes, such as stone and grass, use 16x textures; Nodes requiring more detail may use 32x textures. Many new textures have been created specifically for this game, some are placeholders, awaiting better replacements. Texture credits may be found in the module's README.txt. Feel free to raise issues against any textures that are not DFSG compliant, have other potential licensing problems or suggest suitable replacements / solutions.
Spoiler
A thousand words.
More info: http://grailtest.pathilorra.co.uk/
Server
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13127

Downloads:
Latest stable version: https://github.com/0-afflatus/grailtest ... master.zip
Development version: https://github.com/0-afflatus/grailtest ... master.zip
Git repository: https://github.com/0-afflatus/grailtest

License
LGPL 2.1 | CC-BY-SA 3.0 except where stated.
See README in each mod directory for information about other authors.
Last edited by afflatus on Fri Mar 04, 2022 15:38, edited 23 times in total.
Grailtest is stirring ...

afflatus

Re: [Game] grail_test:Albion [WIP]

by afflatus » Post

Last edited by afflatus on Tue Jan 13, 2015 17:35, edited 1 time in total.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

I get lots of errors

Code: Select all

19:38:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "here" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:129.
19:38:48: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "node_here" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:130.
19:38:53: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "below" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:579.
19:38:53: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "node_below" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:581.
19:39:24: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "near_here" inside a function at ....\games\grail_test\mods\plantlife_\trunks/generating.lua:253.
19:39:24: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "near_node" inside a function at ....\games\grail_test\mods\plantlife_\trunks/generating.lua:255.
19:39:54: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "factor" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:422.
19:39:54: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "zfactor" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:427.
19:42:07: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "torchdecay" accessed at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\fire/bonfire.lua:104
19:42:08: WARNING: Undeclared global variable "REED_WILL_DRY" accessed at ...\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\material/reed.lua:56
19:42:30: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "factor" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:196.
19:42:31: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "pn" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\zcg\zcg\init.lua:174.
Loading all crafts, this may take some time...
19:42:31: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "out" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\zcg\zcg\init.lua:28.
All crafts loaded !
19:42:33: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "page" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\zcg\zcg\init.lua:103.
19:42:33: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "alt" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\zcg\zcg\init.lua:104.
19:42:33: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "current_item" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\zcg\zcg\init.lua:105.
19:44:09: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "here" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:230.
19:44:09: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "node_here" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:231.
19:44:09: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "below" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:356.
19:44:09: ERROR[ServerThread]: Assignment to undeclared global "node_below" inside a function at ...r\MineTest\bin\..\games\grail_test\mods\plant/shrubs.lua:358.
Also,using mapgen 7,when I spawn, a few trees generate..then all I hear is a raging fire and the game kinda just freezes.

when I use mapgen 6 a few trees spawn and its laggy but it works

I just couldn't continue to play due to the messed up inventory preview images.
I am a windows user so like default minetest game your inventory sucks for me.
There is absolutely no fun to be had when I have to guess what it is I am looking at.

I have gone to great lengths to correct this and get rid of those ridiculous node preview images in exchange for solid reliable inventory images,just let me know if you are interested and I can share my fixes with you. I haven't fixed all the mods you are using,but most of the default ones can be corrected.

of course if you are a linux user and dont give a crap,I completely understand.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

Napiophelios wrote: I just couldn't continue to play due to the messed up inventory preview images.
There is absolutely no fun to be had when I have to guess what it is I am looking at.

I have gone to great lengths to correct this and get rid of those ridiculous node preview images in exchange for solid reliable inventory images,just let me know if you are interested and I can share my fixes with you. I haven't fixed all the mods you are using,but most of the default ones can be corrected.

You shouldn't be talking about this in a subgame's thread. It's an engine issue and will just confuse the unexperienced modder.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

celeron55 wrote:
Napiophelios wrote: I just couldn't continue to play due to the messed up inventory preview images.

You shouldn't be talking about this in a subgame's thread. It's an engine issue and will just confuse the unexperienced modder.
Thank you both for your responses.

It's useful to be aware of these issues and to know it's an engine issue.
Napiophelios, I am a Linux user and I rely on other people to test on other platforms. Also I have not upgraded to 0.4.11 yet as I wanted to push this out before doing so. So, the list of globals that should be locals would be very useful and I'll fix them immediately. This was first on the TODO after upgrade, they were expected errors and strangely reassuring at this stage. :-)

I'd also be interested in your workarounds for the inventory display on Windows, although I may choose not to implement them immediately as they are really SEP.

Great to get some feedback.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Those 'errors' Napiophelios posts are just warnings of variables that probably need to be stated as 'local ...' variables within the functions.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Napiophelios: The errors you mentioned are fixed in the master branch. Thanks. :-)

Fix undeclared globals
plant/shrubs.lua
plantlife_/trunks/generating.lua
fire/bonfire.lua
material/reed.lua
zcg/zcg/init.lua

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

paramat: I hope I haven't abused Watershed too badly. ;-)

I did figure out how to expose rock at the summit (above the cloud line) and on the coast too.
I think it's pretty. YMMV.

Napiophelios
GitHub: Napiophelios
IRC: Nappi
In-game: Nappi

by Napiophelios » Post

@celeron55: My apologies, It wont happen again.

@afflatus: My apologies to you as well.
I didnt mean for my feedback to be inflamatory,I am just crude by nature.
I like the concept you are persuing and just wanted to offer some help.
I guess I will just keep my mouth shut and let the devs do there thing.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Napiophelios wrote:@afflatus: My apologies to you as well.
I didnt mean for my feedback to be inflamatory,I am just crude by nature.
Thanks, but not really required. I'm used to a "take no prisoners" style of communication.
I like the concept you are persuing and just wanted to offer some help.
I guess I will just keep my mouth shut and let the devs do there thing.
Feedback is useful, please keep it coming. :-) I would have been completely unaware of the rendering issue under Windows if you hadn't said anything. Thanks to celeron55 I now know it's an engine bug.

All good. :-)

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Will you support mapgen v5 too? You would find the results to be very impressive.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Inocudom wrote:Will you support mapgen v5 too? You would find the results to be very impressive.
Yes, I fully intend to.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Improved metal textures

Added more vegetables: Beet and Fat Hen (Goosefoot)

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I have figured out how to run Grail Test as a public server, so if you want to come and visit check out the Public Serverlist or http://servers.minetest.net/ for connection details. It won't be up 24/7 and is under heavy development. I'm encouraging old-fashioned building styles - medieval / darkage / ancient, or just plain weird / experimental.

Torches no longer set fire to things. It was a nice idea, but obviously stupid (see sig).

I'm testing a few extra mods - areas + markers; fachwerk; 3d_armor, player_textures; simple_skins; sedimentology; and teleporter. Areas/Markers works well and will almost certainly stay. 3d_armor/player_textures/simple_skins will have to be modded and I'm planning to introduce a modded version of moreblocks.

At some point I shall switch over to unified_inventory as everyone seems to agree that it is better.

Anyway, do swing by and take a look.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Thanks to everyone who has come to visit and helped with testing.
I have switched to unified_inventory on the server, so that should make things a bit easier for everyone.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

Added tiles and lanterns.

Before:

After:
Last edited by afflatus on Fri Feb 13, 2015 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I am very pleased to announce the release of v0.3.1. This version of grail_test is compatible with minetest 0.4.11 and is the result of 23 days comprehensive testing running a live online multiplayer server. Big thanks to everyone who has come and played and put it through its paces, in particular CCD, DC_gaming and Bob. The first comment that many people have made on landing in spawn for the first time is "Wow, nice texture pack". This makes me very happy.

Features:
  • New plants - beet, fathen and orange trees
  • Barrel and wooden panel
  • Lantern and stained glass
  • Tiles
  • signs_lib - signs now display text
  • /spawn command
  • Removed inventory_plus and zcg to allow use of unified_inventory
  • Support for more 3rd party mods
  • Improved textures
  • Lots of bug fixes

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

And if you do come to visit the server, please ask for interact. I have disabled it by default.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

The Grail Test server, yesterday ...

Anonymous_moose

by Anonymous_moose » Post

afflatus wrote:The Grail Test server, yesterday ...
Cool.
I can see my house from here.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

In two and a half months the online game has developed a steady userbase and the map has been expanded with loads of new building. I need to upgrade the server and connection to accommodate more players. The game now includes awards and a basic scorecard system to give a sense of player progression, I have also added a magic system starting with gem-topped staffs that cast magic rays which have all sorts of interesting effects, this will be followed by rings, potions and quest items soon. I've also added a simplified version of throwing and mossmanikin's fishing. Once the magic system is a bit more fully formed and tested I'll release the next version.

afflatus

I aten't dead

by afflatus » Post

The next release, earmarked v0.3.2 "Britannia", will include a magic system, linked to player development with earnable privs, quest items, fishing, bows, potions and rings, plus new flora and fauna and innumerable fixes.

The server is currently offline, due to complications in the upgrade path (I'm moving). Development is continuing and Grail Test will be back in a few weeks. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Ivà
GitHub: melzua
IRC: melzua
In-game: melzua

by Ivà » Post

Nice to see you here again afflatus.

afflatus

by afflatus » Post

I'm looking forward to relocating and getting the server back online.

Anonymous_moose

Re: I aten't dead

by Anonymous_moose » Post

afflatus wrote: I aten't dead
Yay discworld!