[game] Apocalypse Survival [1.1]

kddekadenz
GitHub: tinyworlds

[game] Apocalypse Survival [1.1]

by kddekadenz » Post

See the world turn to ashes, as the sun comes closer to the planet.
Gather food and resources and build an underground base to survive.

Download | Github

The Minetest earth is getting closer to the sun, making the temperatures rise.
Soon the first trees start to catch fire, dry leaves disappear and the dry gras turns into dirt.
Then the water starts to vanish ... Oceans turn into deserts.

To survive the apocalpyse you quickly need to gather food sources and wood.
Below y: -10 the stone blocks of most of the heat. You can build your food and tree farm down here.

Scavenge out in the night to hunt for more resources and fight against the monsters!
Can you survive the apocalypse?

Backup your world before using this mod!
The apocalypse destroys everything flammable on the surface.

Spoiler
all my code is CC0

custom mods
  • apocalypse (responsible for the apocalypse process)
  • musicmod (plays a song depending on the day time)
Musicmod uses two songs from opengameart.org, which are licensed as CC0
(see included readme)

this game includes also the following mods:
Timelapse video of an apocalypse
Last edited by kddekadenz on Sun Jan 18, 2015 00:57, edited 3 times in total.

kidmondo
IRC: kidmondo
In-game: kidmondo

Re: [game] Apocalypse Survival

by kidmondo » Post

This is an mod! Looking forward to trying this :D

Enke
GitHub: NANOsoldierEnke
IRC: Enke
In-game: Enke

by Enke » Post

First, I want to preface this with the fact that I've always wanted a game like this. Games such as this have the potential to have great atmosphere and unique gameplay.

Next, 90 minutes of gameplay and testing have left me with several suggestions.

1) Increase the atmospherics and gameplay with delayed progression: Basically, what is meant by this is to slow down and tweak the speed of the apocalypse to draw out that sense of dread for the player, as well as make the gameplay more structured. For instance, you could make the first day of the apocalypse just have dirt with grass decay into dirt and dirt decay into gravel/sand. Then, for the second day, things begin to burn. First the rate of fire generation is slow, but it picks up speed over the next few days. I think that by the end of the second or third day, the player should be experiencing damage from standing outside. I need an incentive to get underground. Fire needs to hurt the player. It's pretty pointless to worry about everything burning if I can just walk right through it. Other possible ideas include stone turning into lava as time goes on, and in the late-game (several weeks in-game) stone starts to hurt you if you stand on it.

2) Make a more fitting sun texture: This is pretty simple. All you'd have to do on this one is retexture the sun to give it a more terrifying effect. Maybe make it dark red, with huge solar flares? On the side, the moon could also be redone to show what effect this is having on the moon, such a little lava spots appearing on the moon, the moon becoming brighter, etc.

3) Change mobs: What I mean by this is to keep the mobs mod, but maybe change the actual mobs themselves into people who are also trying to survive, and as such, hostile to you. Maybe have several types of human enemies that look the same but drop different loot, or have human enemies specific to each biome?

4) Ruined Buildings/Underground shelters: Throughout the world, you could find buildings or parts thereof. Maybe if you dig underground long enough, you could maybe find someone's shelter, complete with an entrance or sealed-off entrance.

EDIT: Also, you may want to look into using Mediacrush to host pictures, and someplace like Github to store the game's code.
Lush8
ExtraVars for Red Eclipse

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> Anarchid: you need to work harder
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

Merlin
GitHub: sct-0
In-game: my

by Merlin » Post

Gave your game a small tryout and I really liked the idea of it.
Take a look at Enkes suggestions, they could really improve the game.
Keep the work up, you can make something great out of this. : )

Btw., it reminds me alot of this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1643222/
Last edited by Merlin on Mon Jan 12, 2015 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

Enke

by Enke » Post

Merlin wrote:Gave your game a small tryout and I really liked the idea of it.
Take a look at Enkes suggestions, they could really improve the game.
Keep the work up, you can make something great out of this. : )

Rtw., it reminds me alot of this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1643222/
Whoa. Somebody liked my ideas.... that's a first. :-)

And actually, the first thing I thought of when I saw this was: "It's Knowing! Where's Nicholas Cage?"
Lush8

<Anarchid> my turn was still the most awesome, yielding all the cripples, two captured paranormals, and death rate of about 30%
<ORCACommander> I am hereby putting you under review until you can increase the casualty rate

kddekadenz

by kddekadenz » Post

Enke wrote:1) Increase the atmospherics and gameplay with delayed progression:
Agreed. Had the same idea. However this would require a more complicated rewrite of the code.
Right now it are 66 lines of code, mostly ABMs.
And I honestly don't have much free time I spend in modding. Actually I just came back here for a night, my active modding days are over. (due being a game developer)
Enke wrote:2) Make a more fitting sun texture:
Enke wrote:change the actual mobs themselves into people who are also trying to survive, and as such, hostile to you.
Good ideas!

EDIT: What would be the name of the sun texture? The changelog says custom sun and moon textures have been added, but I can't find documentation on the HOW.
Enke wrote:4) Ruined Buildings/Underground shelters:
I'm a big fan of lost places & I could use an existing mod for this.
Enke wrote:EDIT: Also, you may want to look into using Mediacrush to host pictures, and someplace like Github to store the game's code.
The image hosting provider I use is pretty fine (it's a service from deviantART).
Yes, for the code a git repository would make sense.

I'll do the textures for the humans, now. Maybe also the sun.

Thanks Enke and Merlin!

kddekadenz

Update! 1.1

by kddekadenz » Post

Update! v. 1.1
  • added agressive survivors
  • fire hurts the player
  • Now on Github - help wanted!
I could need help with:
  • Survivor AI (currently can't chase the player to higher areas/jump to get higher)
  • Survivor Animation (not playing right now)
  • Including a Ruins mod (those I found where either not useful or had way too many dependencies)
Let's turn this together into something much better! :)

Enke

Re: Update! 1.1

by Enke » Post

kddekadenz wrote:Update! v. 1.1
  • added agressive survivors
  • fire hurts the player
  • Now on Github - help wanted!
I could need help with:
  • Survivor AI (currently can't chase the player to higher areas/jump to get higher)
  • Survivor Animation (not playing right now)
  • Including a Ruins mod (those I found where either not useful or had way too many dependencies)
Let's turn this together into something much better! :)
Alright! I'm ready to try it out!

For Survivor AI, you could try looking at Minetest Defense's mob AI. Those friggin' things chased me forever! Up and down walls, hills, you name it...
I'm not really sure on animation. Sorry.
As far as ruins, you could try looking at how other people accomplished putting buildings into the world and simply mimic their system. Another possibility is to random-gen ruins in the same way dungeons are made now.
For progression, it does seem to be problematic that the abms required are so huge. I'm not really sure how this could be done.
Sun and Moon textures have to be created. I am told that you must create four: sun.png, moon.png, sun_tonemap.png, and moon_tonemap.png. Try this texture pack (here) for an example.

Sidenote: I mentioned Mediacrush/Imgur due to the fact that your images were not showing up for me for some reason. However, it was my error. Sorry 'bout that.
Lush8

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

Re: [game] Apocalypse Survival [1.1]

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

As far as moving progression off ABMs goes, it is no simple task, and not to be taken on light-heartedly. However, should you choose to do so, you probably should investigate this: http://dev.minetest.net/minetest.register_globalstep

Have a global apocalypse.time_elapsed, and add d_time to it every step. You can then use that time to benchmark when to perform events, and I would recommend using the Lua Voxel Manipulator to quickly change all nodes within a certain radius of the player(s). Additionally, do the same with minetest.register_on_generated() so as to make new areas you visit already up to date with the current state of the apocalypse. This may sound confusing, so please ask if you need clarification on a certain point. :) Keep up the good work!
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

by maikerumine » Post

I really like this game, good job!

I cannot craft a hoe, is this removed by chance?
[EDIT]:

Okay, I figured it out: You collect grass and plants around and at random you might get some seeds. The seeds can be planted directly on dirt, no need for a hoe.

I noticed the mobs seemed to get more aggressive as the time went on, is this a random setting too or are they programmed to attack or not based on chance?

I did die once by a dungeon master, bugger blasted my steps out and I couldn't escape!

I like the challenge, it is kinda need seeing how the water slowly disappears, it really changes the landscape quite a bit. I am excited to see how long I can play on this game, just to see how much changes with time.

Things to add:
Random building ruins
damage during the day above -10, unless in water.

I really enjoy the game play so far.
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Bluedramon

by Bluedramon » Post

How do I get this mod working? I tried it a few times, but it only gives me this error message:

"ERROR: Failed to enabled mod "apocalypse-master" as it contains disallowed characters. Only characters [a-z0-9_] are allowed."

I tried editing the file name to get rid of the - symbol, but that doesn't work.

What is odd is that another mod I have installed, for home decor, has - in the title as well and it stll loads just fine. Mods for snow biomes and more types of trees also suffer from the same error.

Is there a way to fix this?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Remove "-master" from the folder name.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

kddekadenz

by kddekadenz » Post

Rubenwardy is right.
Rename the foldername to

Code: Select all

apocalypse
Much fun playing the mod! :)

Soudon
In-game: Soudon

by Soudon » Post

While I am trying to enjoy this I am having one small issue and I can't seem to figure it out. I have a PC at home which is running my server and I am running the apocolypse game on the server. My issue is I am on a different PC playing on the server and it never changes night I played for two hours straight and not once did it change to night, nor do I take damage above ground.

Just wondering if you know why this is happening or is it just a random bug?

Figured it out finally somehow in my game.conf the line time_speed = 0 was put in deleted that and bam time now moves on and trees are burning.