[Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

Kilarin
GitHub: Kilarin

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Post

pull request merged. Simply incredible Hero! Wow!
I thought your first version was great, but this is even better, the walls shift around, the canyon gets narrower and wider as you go down. Love it! thank you so VERY much. Now I've got to study this whole bit until I understand it better.
12Me21 wrote:The spawn should be farther away, because if you were in the blast area you would have died.
I was assuming that the game takes place a bit further after the blast then immediately. But you have a point about moving spawn further east.
12ME21 wrote:You should be able to VERY RARELY find tiny pieces of the fractured world stone.
Not a bad idea. I will consider it.
12ME21 wrote:The canyon should have branches coming off it,
Also interesting. But I've got to digest Hero's code before I consider making any changes. :)
Last edited by Kilarin on Tue Mar 03, 2015 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

ExeterDad
In-game: ExeterDad

by ExeterDad » Post

Wow Hero!

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Wow! this is looking awesome!

It would be cool if the land on the west looked different, like if it had more caves, more rugged terrain, maybe darker somehow.

If the canyon is going to be not perfectly straight, you'll have to be careful when checking what side an area is on (when generating terrain).

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

by firefox » Post

the diffent landscapes could be made by defining a different set of biomes for both sides.
the east side could have natural biomes like forests, plains and mountains, all in the variation of green, humid, snowy ect.
the west side could have the same but in "apocalyptical" variations like burning, frozen, drought, rotten and swampy, ect.
on the east side you can find flowers and other beauiful plants, on the west side are mostly mushrooms and thorn bushes.
while flowers are used for dye, mushrooms could be used for magic potions.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I wonder if it's possible to change the amount of light the sun creates in the west, so it is darker.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

12Me21 wrote:It would be cool if the land on the west looked different, like if it had more caves, more rugged terrain, maybe darker somehow
firefox wrote:the diffent landscapes could be made by defining a different set of biomes for both sides
definitely in the plans.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

It should generate destroyed buildings near the blast area, and inside there could be some stuff in chests, like random metals, magic items, etc. And on the west, there could be monsters that spawn in the houses.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

12Me21 wrote:It should generate destroyed buildings near the blast area, and inside there could be some stuff in chests, like random metals, magic items, etc. And on the west, there could be monsters that spawn in the houses.
Yes, ruins are an important part of the plan. I hope to link some quests to them. AND monsters, of course. Most people were killed in the blast, or worse...

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Do you know how to set the static spawn. I want to mess around with a spawn mod that I would add but the api docs have me lost. Minetest. Set_setting("static spawn", {x=0, y=1,z=0}) doesn't work. Also I typed this from memory so it is probs wrong but I copied and pasyted in the code.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Code: Select all

minetest.setting_set("static_spawnpoint", "0, 1, 0")
lua_api.html for setting_set
minetest.conf.example line 342
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rubenwardy wrote:

Code: Select all

minetest.setting_set("static_spawnpoint", "0, 1, 0")
lua_api.html for setting_set
minetest.conf.example line 342
Ah I see thanks.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:I want to mess around with a spawn mod that I would add
So, what are you thinking of? I didn't know there was a way to set the spawn from a mod. That brings up a very interesting possibility. my newspawn mod has some serious drawbacks. A BIG improvement would a mod that allows you to specify an area, and it searches for the surface, builds a usable spawn there, then sets the spawn in a file so it can be reset each time the game (or server) starts. hmmmm.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Kilarin wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:I want to mess around with a spawn mod that I would add
So, what are you thinking of? I didn't know there was a way to set the spawn from a mod. That brings up a very interesting possibility. my newspawn mod has some serious drawbacks. A BIG improvement would a mod that allows you to specify an area, and it searches for the surface, builds a usable spawn there, then sets the spawn in a file so it can be reset each time the game (or server) starts. hmmmm.
I was thinking of creating a tower in the middle of the fissure. The only problem was i couldn't change the spawn. Now maybe having a 200 block wide fissure would be great. Also there is the possibility of having a spawn town in the east.
Edit: I have made the player spawn on an obsidian block at 0,0,0 https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/pull/2
also as i was falling i noticed a lot of good ore along the side of the fracture. I think the ore needs to be near to nill at the fracture because 1)atm it is easy access to diamonds and I even found an esem ore and 2)It would make the players want to spread out more.
Edit2: I added more to the pull request. I made the ore a better scarcity where the spawn isnt overwhelmed by all the exposed ore and also changed the rift size to 115 because 150 was too large after more testing. Also This picture is what could be just a temp spawn bridge so you can cross in survival. Also I think all trees within the blast radius should be removed.
Attachments
screenshot_23521070.png
screenshot_23521070.png (713.12 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

HeroOfTheWinds
GitHub: HeroOfTheWinds
IRC: WindHero

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

You might find my Apollo Module spawn point generator in Moontest useful as an example for what you are trying. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. At least it'll give you an idea of how it's done.
Nam ex spatio, omnes res venire possunt.
Why let the ground limit you when you can reach for the sky?
Back to college now, yay for sophomore year schedules. :P

Dartmouth

by Dartmouth » Post

The newspawn mod should find a spawn point after the rift has been generated. I was playing around with this game yesterday and on spawning I started falling down the rift because the modified worldgen removed the node I spawned on :P

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Dartmouth wrote:The newspawn mod should find a spawn point after the rift has been generated. I was playing around with this game yesterday and on spawning I started falling down the rift because the modified worldgen removed the node I spawned on :P
Take a look at the changes I made in the newspawn mod. This creates the spawn and kinda fixes the falling problem. https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/pull/2
Though the problem I found is that the player enters the world, it is generated and any changes take too long.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

I've implemented jojoa1997's idea of setting the static spawn point from within newspawn. this eliminates the risk of newspawn and minetest.conf being out of sync. A great improvement.

For right now I'm leaving the default canyon width at 80, a little easier to see across, but its easy for anyone to change, and I may consider widening it in the future.

I prefer to have the spawn point in the east, so I'm not going to use the section that puts a player spawning at 0,0, BUT, I do intend to add a structure going across the fracture at that point, so jojoa's pull was headed in the same direction I am, but I'm not quite there yet. Will get there soon.

One note here though, in testing, I thought the on_generated function for the obsidian block in jojoa's code resulted in some strange behavior. It meant you could destroy the block, and it would remain gone, until you went into new territory, then it would be regenerated. I think I will need to build the fallen tower out of something invulnerable instead of having it regenerate like that. BUT, I wouldn't have learned that without watching how this code behaved, so again, thank you jojoa1997!
Dartmouth wrote:The newspawn mod should find a spawn point after the rift has been generated
I agree. I've temporarily reduced this problem by moving the default spawn point further east. Once jojoa1997 showed me that I could set the spawn point from within newspawn I realized that newspawn needs to be modified to find a good spawn point based on what was generated, build it out a bit perhaps, (eventually with ruins), and set the static spawn to that new point.
HeroOfTheWinds wrote:You might find my Apollo Module spawn point generator in Moontest useful as an example for what you are trying
Will look, thank you very much. I don't think its EVER going to be perfect, just need it closer than what I've got. :)

I am REALLY stumped on the pvp code.
Tenplus1 suggested that I add automatic healing based on area, similar to the 3darmor code. Which would work, BUT, I don't see how to determine where the damage came from, so that would turn off ALL damage in the east. No falling damage, no starvation, no suffocation, no mob attacks at all. I want to turn off player damage, not ALL damage in the east.
My son suggested going at it from the other direction, trying to disable punching another player. I'm looking to see if that is possible.
Any suggestions on solving the pvp problem are MOST welcome. I HOPE I can do it through lua and don't have to try and dig into the c code to add a new option to the API. :)

TeTpaAka

by TeTpaAka » Post

Looking forward to this.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Kilarin wrote: One note here though, in testing, I thought the on_generated function for the obsidian block in jojoa's code resulted in some strange behavior. It meant you could destroy the block, and it would remain gone, until you went into new territory, then it would be regenerated. I think I will need to build the fallen tower out of something invulnerable instead of having it regenerate like that. BUT, I wouldn't have learned that without watching how this code behaved, so again, thank you jojoa1997!
Yes. I was thinking that structures spawned in the rift needed to be indestructible. The reason i used obsidian was because to me it seems like the hardest block and also I was too lazy to write a test node for that. Also about having a way to tell direction(directional signpost at spawn) would help a lot. I had to use the ores to see the difference.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Yes. I was thinking that structures spawned in the rift needed to be indestructible.
At least some of them.
jojoa1997 wrote:Also about having a way to tell direction(directional signpost at spawn) would help a lot. I had to use the ores to see the difference.
Debug has a built in compass now, tells you not just your yaw, but whether you are going N, S, E, or W. I fully intend to implement compassgps in this world, of course.
jojoa1997 wrote:The reason i used obsidian was because to me it seems like the hardest block and also I was too lazy to write a test node for that.
Same reason I'm using it for my test world stone tower. :) Well, actually obsidian brick in this case, but still same reason.

Speaking of that tower, here is a "bridge" that was created from a series of bugs in my tower code. Doesn't look half bad for something made out of glitches. :)

(also reveals that current fracture code is occasionally leaking water. :) Gotta look at that.

And here is the crashed tower with fewer bugs. (the torches were placed by hand)
Code just generates a cylinder out of specified material with specified radius and length at specified location.
LONG way to go, but it is a cylinder, that is something. :)

Needs to find the edge of the fracture and base its y coord off of that, and needs to be more of a crashed tower and less of a perfect cylinder. broken parts, missing chunks, windows, internal floors, steps, decorations, etc.

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

Lookin' good. :)

You might consider spawning the tower with a schematic. Build it separately, upright, then use WorldEdit to rotate it 90 degrees on the x-axis. Mine out some stuff to make it ruined, save the schem, then place it on_generated(). It's a bit more complicated than that, though.... Alternatively, do the really tough way, which I did for the Apollo module: generate it with LVM. But that's like advanced/expert level LVM code, so... I could write it if given a tower, however.

In the meantime, tapering the tower at one end isn't hard. Also, you can use perlin noise to randomly eat holes out of it. If you want me to code that, I could...

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:In the meantime, tapering the tower at one end isn't hard.
Oh man, I was already there, but I have been doing it procedurally. the HARD way.

tower tapering, floors generating, was trying to figure out how to put in doors and stairs and a roof, was going to ask you how to use perlin noise to improve my cracks and holes. And now I find out I could just build the whole thing.
I feel STUPID.

Can you point me to an example of how to put a "schematic" in? :)

HeroOfTheWinds

by HeroOfTheWinds » Post

This is the ABM version, but it's not too much different to do the same within on_generated():
https://github.com/HeroOfTheWinds/minet ... r/abms.lua

However, you must choose carefully whether to call it before or after doing all your LVM stuff. If you do it before, the terrain will eat away parts of the structure where it intersects with the ground. (So the chasm generator would cut a swathe straight through the tower.) If you do it after, you can choose whether or not to overwrite already-existing nodes (That is the last bool in the function call). Note that schematics are placed by their corner, so you need to offset by half its length and by half its width, e.g. (pos={x=-10, y=-10, z=-30}) (Just change the numbers to it's radius for the first two and its height/2 for the third.) If you're calling this from a function outside fracrift, make it depend on fracrift, because then the rift will be generated before trying to place the schem.
Also, the parameter in quotes ("random") refers to rotation of the schem. "Random" is obvious, but use 0 unless you accidentally built it rotated the wrong way. It only accepts multiples of 90 from 0 to 270.

Also, consider the possibility of still letting perlin "ruin" the tower. Then, the ruins will look different for different map seeds! I can easily write the code in about 10 minutes, too.

Kilarin

by Kilarin » Post

HeroOfTheWinds wrote:I can easily write the code in about 10 minutes, too.
that would be greatly appreciated.
IF you had time to EXPLAIN how the perlin noise code works, that would be even better. But I know that may be too much time. :)
Octaves, persists, spread, scale?
But I love the seed. :)
HeroOfTheWinds wrote: seed = 133742, --a LEET answer to life, the universe, and everything

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Nice work on the tower. Though it is WAY bigger than what I was thinking. Good Job so far. Once this headache is fixed I wanted to start working on biomes a bit. Where you thinking of any specific biomes?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging