[Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:14

TeTpaAka wrote:After that, the next step would be defining the temples...
Should I make a totally new magic system around a belief in the world stone?

Actually, my personal preference would be for a magic system based more around a science of magic, and less around a religion of magic. I don't think this would require any change in the magic system itself, but only a slight change in the quests. Instead of temples, schools, libraries, and wizard towers?
Would this be compatible with your vision?

Second question. I had imagined the Esem crystal as being a base ingredient for most magical recipes (in parallel with the Mese being the base ingredient in most technological recipes)
I LIKE the idea, but I'm not married to it. Will this fit in with your vision for the magical system, or do you want to try and talk me out of it. :)

Hybrid Dog wrote:Maybe this tower can be used for mapgen, you could calculate the crack somewhere with random splitters

That is a LOVELY tower. Would love to use it for one of the quest locations.

TeTpaAka wrote:There is only an on_punch callback for nodes and entities. The most critical case are the players, where such a callback will (hopefully) come in 0.5. Currently, there is no other workaround but with the tools. And even this doesn't seem to work properly.

I'm going to modify wildweapons to only work on swords as a temporary measure. Try some workarounds, and if I can't get a satisfactory result, we have have to wait for 5.0. <sigh>
 

TeTpaAka
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:54

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by TeTpaAka » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:36

Kilarin wrote:
TeTpaAka wrote:After that, the next step would be defining the temples...
Should I make a totally new magic system around a belief in the world stone?

Actually, my personal preference would be for a magic system based more around a science of magic, and less around a religion of magic. I don't think this would require any change in the magic system itself, but only a slight change in the quests. Instead of temples, schools, libraries, and wizard towers?
Would this be compatible with your vision?

Temples, schools, libraries, wizard towers... It doesn't really matter. There just has to be a place where you EXPECT to learn some spells. I just thought about temples, because in ancient times, the temples have been the place where the knowledge was. So, to learn something you went to the priest, the most sage man in the town. But the other options seem also valid, so I can change it easily.
Kilarin wrote:Second question. I had imagined the Esem crystal as being a base ingredient for most magical recipes (in parallel with the Mese being the base ingredient in most technological recipes)
I LIKE the idea, but I'm not married to it. Will this fit in with your vision for the magical system, or do you want to try and talk me out of it. :)

No, I'm perfectly OK with this. Actually, I made some wands based on Esem recently. It's just basic work without any balancing. But it is a start, at least.
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:44

TeTpaAka wrote:the other options seem also valid, so I can change it easily.
...Actually, I made some wands based on Esem recently.

Fantastic, thank you so very much!

patched wildweapons to effect swords only. means swords can't be used for digging or harvesting, but that's hardly critical at this point in game development. lot more work required on solving pvp on wild side only. <sigh>
 

TeTpaAka
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:54

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by TeTpaAka » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:54

To be consequent with the separation in a dangerous west and a peaceful east, it would be a nice addition to change the behaviour of bones.
Either:
  • West: no bones, items get removed
    East: normal bones
  • West: no bones, items drop
    East: normal bones
  • West: bones without protection
    East: normal bones
  • West: normal bones
    East: bones with longer (indefinite? probably not because of griefing) protection
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 21:57

TeTpaAka wrote:To be consequent with the separation in a dangerous west and a peaceful east, it would be a nice addition to change the behaviour of bones.

Oooo! Nice idea!
 

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
 
Posts: 5827
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
Location: United Kingdom
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
 

User avatar
Hybrid Dog
Member
 
Posts: 2718
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Hybrid Dog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 15:51

Hybrid Dog wrote:you could use punch functions instead of the on_use, l think

There is only an on_punch callback for nodes and entities. The most critical case are the players, where such a callback will (hopefully) come in 0.5. Currently, there is no other workaround but with the tools. And even this doesn't seem to work properly.[/quote]
l thought that the entity callback can be used for players

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪
 

TeTpaAka
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:54

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by TeTpaAka » Wed Apr 22, 2015 16:35

Hybrid Dog wrote:l thought that the entity callback can be used for players

No. Players aren't entities. That's the problem of the armour mod. It accomplishes the defence by constantly checking for a change of the player health and healing a bit of it.
But the on_punch callback (or something like it. on_push if I remember correctly?) is planned for 0.5.
There are also other oddities with players and entities. You can't change the collision box for players, besides, the collision box for players is offsetted towards the collision box of entities.
Also the maximal health is fixed for players.
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 03:26

My son came up with a wonderful idea. He wanted the mapgen to get more and more exotic as you moved further away from spawn. I thought that would be a GREAT idea. BUT, now I can't figure out something very simple. How do I change the perists for the perlin noise for the mapgen?
 

Nore
Developer
 
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35
GitHub: Ekdohibs

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Nore » Sat May 02, 2015 14:23

I reckon you can't do that easily without switching to a lua mapgen, but paramat may be able to provide some help about it :)
 

poet.nohit
Member
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 00:50
GitHub: poet-nohit

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by poet.nohit » Sat May 02, 2015 20:03

A recent version of Minetest added the biome parameter for register_ore(). I suppose that could be an easy way to handle that.
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Sun May 03, 2015 03:46

Right now I'm focusing in trying to have different biomes in the east and west, and preferably changing biome frequency as you move away from spawn. HeroOfTheWinds has custom biome code in SkyTest, I just need to take time to sit down and understand it.
 

User avatar
domtron vox
Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 21:07
GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by domtron vox » Sat May 09, 2015 04:26

Kilarin wrote:wildweapons loops through every tool in the game (It needs to soft depends on all mods that add tools) and it adds its own special on_use function to each tool that can cause fleshy damage (then calls the tools original on_use function, so it stacks the calls)

Not sure if this is still how it is but, soft-depending on every mod does not sound like a good idea(I assume you are manually adding them to the depends file). Try looking at minetest.after(). I have a mod(first one I started) in the works that loops through every item, node, and tool. To do that without depending on every installed mod, I run my loop in the callback of minetest.after(0, callback) meaning it runs after the registration period has ended. Hope that helps a bit.
 

TeTpaAka
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:54

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by TeTpaAka » Sat May 09, 2015 07:29

domtron vox wrote:
Kilarin wrote:wildweapons loops through every tool in the game (It needs to soft depends on all mods that add tools) and it adds its own special on_use function to each tool that can cause fleshy damage (then calls the tools original on_use function, so it stacks the calls)

Not sure if this is still how it is but, soft-depending on every mod does not sound like a good idea(I assume you are manually adding them to the depends file). Try looking at minetest.after(). I have a mod(first one I started) in the works that loops through every item, node, and tool. To do that without depending on every installed mod, I run my loop in the callback of minetest.after(0, callback) meaning it runs after the registration period has ended. Hope that helps a bit.

That sounds like a really bad idea. The registration functions should only be called on load time. (See lua_api.txt) There are other ways to make sure, every weapon is touched. But this is still only a workaround, that doesn't work really well. For an explanation why, see the github issues.
 

User avatar
domtron vox
Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 21:07
GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by domtron vox » Sat May 09, 2015 11:31

I thought he was just modifying already registered items. NVM then.
 

TeTpaAka
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:54

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by TeTpaAka » Sat May 09, 2015 12:05

domtron vox wrote:I thought he was just modifying already registered items. NVM then.

Yes, that's true. But for now, it is just a workaround, because the weapons don't work at all the way they should.
The problem with your attempt is, that I'm not even sure it would work. The registering functions should never be used after load time.
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Sun May 10, 2015 15:03

TeTpaAka wrote:it is just a workaround, because the weapons don't work at all the way they should.

Yep. Really need the new functions that will hopefully be in the next version of minetest to make pvp combat work the way we want. :(

I've been trying to research biome logic, and it is not simple to produce home made biome code. <sigh>
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Sun May 17, 2015 17:00

Thanks to a recent minetest pull from TeTpeAka the next major problem in fractured has been solved! You will need the newest version of minetest for this to work. But wildweapons now uses register_on_punchplayer and it makes the whole process of controlling where players can damage each other trivial. Now any tool or weapon can only damage another player when you are on the wild side of the fracture. (spells and technology items will probably require their own special code to deal with the same issue)

https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/archive/master.zip

register_on_punchplayer also opens up some other interesting possibilities. This is a VERY GOOD addition to minetest!

Now, back to my struggles to learn how biome generation works and build a custom biome generation for fractured that will generate different biomes in the tame and wild sides, and vary based on distance from spawn. <sigh>
 

TeTpaAka
Member
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 21:54

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by TeTpaAka » Sun May 17, 2015 17:36

Kilarin wrote:Thanks to a recent minetest pull from TeTpeAka the next major problem in fractured has been solved! You will need the newest version of minetest for this to work. But wildweapons now uses register_on_punchplayer and it makes the whole process of controlling where players can damage each other trivial. Now any tool or weapon can only damage another player when you are on the wild side of the fracture. (spells and technology items will probably require their own special code to deal with the same issue)

https://github.com/Kilarin/fractured/archive/master.zip

register_on_punchplayer also opens up some other interesting possibilities. This is a VERY GOOD addition to minetest!

Now, back to my struggles to learn how biome generation works and build a custom biome generation for fractured that will generate different biomes in the tame and wild sides, and vary based on distance from spawn. <sigh>


It was mostly BrandonReese's code. You have to thank him. I just made sure, his additions made it into the core. (well, and I made it usable for you by adding the return parameter.)
And the spells already respect the tamed east. Though I hadn't had much time lately to work on them.
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Sun May 17, 2015 17:45

TeTpaAka wrote:It was mostly BrandonReese's code. You have to thank him. I just made sure, his additions made it into the core. (well, and I made it usable for you by adding the return parameter.)

My thanks to both of you, especially for that return parameter!

TeTpaAka wrote:Though I hadn't had much time lately to work on them.

I understand that! :)
 

User avatar
MirceaKitsune
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 22:31
Location: Romania, Bucharest
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by MirceaKitsune » Sat Jun 13, 2015 13:28

I like the idea, nice! Tried the game out briefly... the only thing I really noticed are the somewhat different mapgen settings, such as the large crack and the structure near spawn. I can see it getting further however, so I'll surely be on the lookout for this project.
 

User avatar
Hybrid Dog
Member
 
Posts: 2718
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Hybrid Dog » Sat Jun 13, 2015 14:56

l thought about using slemon's mapgen for one of the sides, but l don't know to which side it fits.

‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪‮
‮‪
 

Kilarin
Member
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 00:36

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Kilarin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 02:03

MirceaKitsune wrote:the only thing I really noticed are the somewhat different mapgen settings,

I'm working on the the new mapgen, haven't had as much time recently, got to get it finished. BUT, while this is certainly not a playable game yet, we have made some great progress:

1: The fracture canyon that splits the world in half
2: The blast zone and world stone tower
3: Spawn point is moved and a safe landing zone is built at the new spawn point.
4: Ore is thinner near spawn, increases as you move further from spawn, twice as likely on the wild side, and Mese and Esem only generate on the wild side.
5: Protection works on the tame side (east) but does not work on the wild side (west)
6: PVP is enabled on the wild side (west) but not on the tame side (east)

And really, thats not to bad, some of those were problems I wasn't certain could be solved. I will hopefully soon have a mapgen written that will allow us to create different biomes on the tame and wild side, and even make some biomes appear only at certain distances from spawn, again, encouraging people to travel far into the wild side for some of the things they want to gather.

After the biome mapgen works, I've got an idea for a change that might be REALLY neat, and will drastically expand the playing space in the game. But more on that later. :)

So, going slow, but progress is still forward. :)
 

User avatar
Tedypig
Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33
Location: Largo, FL, USA
IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by Tedypig » Sun Sep 06, 2015 18:48

Wow, I just read this entire thread with no breaks (and I REALLY need to pee...). I cannot wait until this is a finished game. I love what you all are doing with this. I'm not much of a coder or artist, but I can sometimes throw together a nice 8/16/32 bit texture. That's all I can offer, but if you need it, ask. I will be watching this like a hawk. Good work to all that has a hand in this.
 

User avatar
azekill_DIABLO
Member
 
Posts: 7489
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 20:05
Location: OMICRON
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

Re: [Game] Fractured [0.01] [WIP]

by azekill_DIABLO » Wed Mar 23, 2016 15:59

here is a better(for me) logo for your game:[made with textcraft]

Image
Attachments
fractured.png
(73.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
 

PreviousNext

Return to WIP Games



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests