[Game] Station 17

deaf_fish
GitHub: hansonry
IRC: hansonry
In-game: hansonry

[Game] Station 17

by deaf_fish » Post

Station 17 is meant to be like Space Station 13.

https://github.com/hansonry/station17

Really early in development, but I wanted to get something out there.

domtron vox
GitHub: DomtronVox
IRC: Domtron
In-game: Domtron

Re: [Game] Station 17

by domtron vox » Post

Hay, I forked it and hope I can contribute some though I've been really busy lately. x.x

Some questions:
* Do you have any ideas as to how you want the mods folder structured? I.e. nameing, where to put various things, and the like.
* Do you have a license chosen?

FYI, Here is a mod that adds some space textures to the sky, though they arn't very blocky/pixely. According to the moontest README they are licensed as CC BY-SA 4.0. I think someone already linked you the moontest subgame as an example of coding atmospherics.
https://github.com/Amaz1/moontest/tree/master/mods/sky

Also for people who don't know: Spacestation 13 is a horribly buggy, 2D game that is very fun and has detailed mechanics just a few levels below Dwarf Fortress' (this is debatable I suppose). It also has a dedicated following. The game is a bit irreverent in places, but has good core game-play. Big issue with the game is that it uses a very outdated proprietary engine called Beyond which only supports Windows, last time I checked. There was a project not too long ago to re-write the game apart from Beyond, but the project fell through. Disclamer: these are my own opinions mixed with stuff I have read. I have only been able to play the game a little due to it being buggy and requiring a good internet connection.

Most servers have there own wikis and code changes. Here is the wiki for a server called TG station which I think is one of the better ones IMHO: http://www.ss13.eu/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You can also find lots of YouTube videos if you want to see game play. A quick search came up with this tutorial one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NrJk4fIU60 (I haven't watched this one yet, but SS13 related videos seem to have a lot of cursing in it. Just FYI.)

deaf_fish

by deaf_fish » Post

domtron vox wrote: * Do you have any ideas as to how you want the mods folder structured? I.e. nameing, where to put various things, and the like.
No, this is my first mod and my first subgame. As of right now I am stuffing everything into the spacestation mod. I figure after the project matures I can sort the stuff out.
domtron vox wrote: * Do you have a license chosen?
I believe I have chosen the DWTFYWT. I put it into the LICENCE file.

Thanks for showing interest. Right now I am working on getting id cards to work.

azekill_DIABLO
GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

by azekill_DIABLO » Post

it's WTFPLS
Gone, but not dead. Contact me on discord: azekill_DIABLO#6565
DMs are always open if you want to get in touch!

Byakuren
GitHub: raymoo
IRC: Hijiri
In-game: Raymoo + Clownpiece

by Byakuren » Post

I'm interested in helping. I was thinking the atmos system could be some kind of modified LINDA, with the the hardest part probably being understanding LINDA itself. There are some things that would be impractical with current minetest though, like spacewind, and there are some other issues that come up in 3D, like determining which nodes to simulate air in (SS13 solves this by checking whether the floor allows atmos simulation).
Every time a mod API is left undocumented, a koala dies.

deaf_fish

by deaf_fish » Post

Hey Byakuren,
I haven't really thought much about the atmos system, so I am happy to see you are. I figured it would be one of the more challenging features.

If you want you can create a new mod folder and start playing around with things. I think any progress on this would be useful.

domtron vox

by domtron vox » Post

Byakuren wrote:I'm interested in helping. I was thinking the atmos system could be some kind of modified LINDA, with the the hardest part probably being understanding LINDA itself. There are some things that would be impractical with current minetest though, like spacewind, and there are some other issues that come up in 3D, like determining which nodes to simulate air in (SS13 solves this by checking whether the floor allows atmos simulation).
For the space wind (which I assume you bean explosive decompression) you could possibly have an invisible flowing "liquid" spawn that pulls the player out the breach. I think it is possible to set a flowing liquid's strength.

I'm messing around with a mod that implements constructing Lattices and Floors. You build a Lattice then place the floor down and later you can pull up the floor with a crowbar. A sort of progressive construction more like SS13and less like MC/MT place and finished. Does anyone know if a Lattice will keep atmos in or if you have to have a floor aswell?

Right now I'm just messing around with connected nodeboxes vs a normal node. the connected nodebox looks kindof cool and lets you "reach through" so you can mess with wiring/pipes underneath, but I think I'm going to run into problems when I try to add a solid looking floor/wall to them.

deaf_fish

by deaf_fish » Post

domtron vox wrote:
Byakuren wrote:I'm interested in helping. I was thinking the atmos system could be some kind of modified LINDA, with the the hardest part probably being understanding LINDA itself. There are some things that would be impractical with current minetest though, like spacewind, and there are some other issues that come up in 3D, like determining which nodes to simulate air in (SS13 solves this by checking whether the floor allows atmos simulation).
For the space wind (which I assume you bean explosive decompression) you could possibly have an invisible flowing "liquid" spawn that pulls the player out the breach. I think it is possible to set a flowing liquid's strength.
That sounds like a good solution. The only other solution I can think of is attaching a player to an invisible object. That way you can force move the object and the player will follow.

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Post

domtron vox wrote:

I'm messing around with a mod that implements constructing Lattices and Floors. You build a Lattice then place the floor down and later you can pull up the floor with a crowbar. A sort of progressive construction more like SS13and less like MC/MT place and finished. Does anyone know if a Lattice will keep atmos in or if you have to have a floor aswell?

Right now I'm just messing around with connected nodeboxes vs a normal node. the connected nodebox looks kindof cool and lets you "reach through" so you can mess with wiring/pipes underneath, but I think I'm going to run into problems when I try to add a solid looking floor/wall to them.
A liquid doesn't account for vertical spacewind though, and also players can jump to avoid it. Another thing is that players on the other side of the source block will be pushed in the opposite direction, which might be wrong.
deaf_fish wrote:
domtron vox wrote:
That sounds like a good solution. The only other solution I can think of is attaching a player to an invisible object. That way you can force move the object and the player will follow.
Attaching to an invisible object doesn't allow the player to move against spacewind, which should be possible, at least in cases of low pressure gradient.

domtron vox

by domtron vox » Post

Byakuren wrote:
domtron vox wrote:
A liquid doesn't account for vertical spacewind though, and also players can jump to avoid it. Another thing is that players on the other side of the source block will be pushed in the opposite direction, which might be wrong.
I meant spawning in the flowing nodes only, no source nodes. That way you can have full control over the direction the player will be pulled in each node, but he can fight against the current. I have no clue if this is efficent or if it is even possible, but is the best thing I can think of off the top of my head.
domtron vox wrote:Does anyone know if a Lattice will keep atmos in or if you have to have a floor aswell?
Blegh, I meant does anyone know if SS13 Lattices kept atmos in. Apparently you disassemble floor tiles down to lattices with just a crowbar so I would think that SS13 rounds would end even faster if lattices leaked...

Also what I was going to do with lattices is not working. The engine is really giving me a hard time. I was going to try and make the lattice panel-able on all sides so you can have a floor panel on one side and a ceiling on the other. But it seems I would need to register... a lot of nodes to accomplish that for multiple textures. So I guess I'll do a simpler version and just have nodes of each panel replace the lattice. Hopefully I can post something after work tomorrow.

Byakuren

by Byakuren » Post

You can remove floor tiles to get a bare floor, but I didn't think you could use a crowbar to get that down to the lattice (I may be wrong - I haven't played SS13 in a while, and I never tried to use tools to get down to lattice). In any case, lattice on top of space does leak. It is easy to fix leaks like that though, because you can just use metal to make a floor on the lattice (I think).

For lattices, what about just a lattice node (that acts like a ladder, movement-wise), and a bare floor node, which you can get by applying metal to the lattice, or something like that.

domtron vox

by domtron vox » Post

I went back and read the tg wiki a bit. Apparently the construction order is lattice > plating > floor/walls. You cannot remove platting with tools only destroy/break it so I guess only an explosion. Wiring and pipe goes on the plating level then you can lay floor tiles and build walls on top of that. Since we would need to register a plate node for every configuration of pipe and wire, I'm thinking we need to do something different.

Space stations have a shell of Hull Plating nodes which are airtight. Then we have a free node which can be used for utilities. Finally you have the inner shell that is used for flooring ceilings and walls. Then we can generally reserve the bottom in-bwetween layer for wiring and the top in-bwetween layer for gas piping. I'm making it so you can reach through the lattice easily enough to work on utilities.
Byakuren wrote:You can remove floor tiles to get a bare floor, but I didn't think you could use a crowbar to get that down to the lattice (I may be wrong - I haven't played SS13 in a while, and I never tried to use tools to get down to lattice). In any case, lattice on top of space does leak. It is easy to fix leaks like that though, because you can just use metal to make a floor on the lattice (I think).
The above should awnser most of that.
Byakuren wrote: For lattices, what about just a lattice node (that acts like a ladder, movement-wise), and a bare floor node, which you can get by applying metal to the lattice, or something like that.
The ladder idea is good. As for applying metal that is basically how I've implemented it so far. One issue is differentiating between wall and floors. On ss13 walls cost 4 plates and floors only one so a cheap player may try to build the cheaper floors for the walls. Another issue is that 1 floor tile makes lattice into plating which is hard to remove. So I'm thinking you should have to craft hull-plating and place it on its own (not replace lattice). Otherwise we would need a formspec which I try to avoid like the plague because lag.

I got the basic functionality working I just need to clean it up. Then I'll try to make a pull request.

cd2
GitHub: cdqwertz
In-game: cd cd2

by cd2 » Post

Looks nice!

domtron vox

by domtron vox » Post

I made a pull request several days ago, but I guess you didn't see it so I'll post here as well. If you didn't like my changes that fine too of course. I just updated it but if you push anything else it will become out of date again.

https://github.com/hansonry/station17/pull/1

Sorry didn't post sooner but I got side tracked.

deaf_fish

by deaf_fish » Post

Oh shoot. I haven't been checking my github. I will look into as soon as possible. Thanks for the pull request.