[Game] VoxeLibre (formerly known as MineClone2) [0.86]

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.13.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

According to Minecraft Wiki, the pointing range is ca. 3.975 blocks. In Minetest, the default is 4. I recently tried to reduce this number to 3.975 but I noticed that Minetest appears to only accept whole numbers for the range so the 3.975 probably became a 3.
I just increased the range back to 4. The error of 0.025 blocks is acceptable.

Wuzzy

Version 0.14.0 (The Granite Update)

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.14.0 (The Granite Update) is here!

This update is mostly made out of bugfixes, there aren't many new features.

Changelog (important changes in bold):
  • Granite, andesite, diorite and dirt now generate underground (as shown in screenshot)
  • Add simple (but incomplete) food poisoning mechanic for some toxic foods
  • Add cauldron
  • Add water bottle and the (useless) 3 base potions
  • A few poisonous foods restore less hunger points (will be changed when real status effects are in place)
  • Update all wool textures to use Faithful 1.11 textures
  • Carpets don't burn anymore
  • Add huge mushroom blocks
  • Remove dye when using it on a sheep
  • Ladder fixes: Can only be placed on the side solid blocks (with some exceptions such as glass). Ladders are now solid.
  • Forbid to dig liquids in Creative Mode
  • Drop armor on death
  • Drop crafting grid contents when player leaves or joins
  • Mob name length is now restricted to 80 characters. This fixes a crash for VERY long names
  • Rightclick fixes: Many items have been fixed so that the rightclick of a block takes precedence of the rightclick of the item. This fixes annoying accidental eating when rightclicking a door
  • Item frames now should be able to hold all items of MineClone 2
  • Improve some wield images of some items
  • Fix invisible buttons in item frames
  • Don't generate ugly particles when digging barrier
  • Extinguishing fire by rain makes a sound
  • Rain wettens farmland
  • Sunlight now goes through ladders and top snow
  • Furnaces now only take 1 lava bucket as fuel
  • Furnaces now accept 1 empty bucket in the fuel slot for wet sponge cooking
  • An empty bucket in the furnace fuel slot will turn into a water bucket when cooking a wet sponge
  • Sponge are no longer WIP: Many bugfixes, they also suck in water as soon as water touches it
  • Fix some pathfinding bugs with mobs
  • Tweak weird zombie jumping
  • Zombie pigmen don't die in light

Please tell whether you think the rate of diorite, andesite and granite is appropriate / balanced.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.14.0]

by texmex » Post

Great progress Wuzzy, keep it up!

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Not sure if I did this the wrong way or, if it is not a feature coded into mobs in MT yet?

But, my kid had a good laugh last night... I was showing him your game, and there was a wolf.

"Feed it bones!" he said... "It will be your friend!!!" "that's how it works in MC".

I tried to give the wolf a bone.... left click = woops... ok, now he's mad...
right-click.... nope.... he's still angry at me!!!!! HELP!!!!! :P

So, I think it is obvious what my question is....
A Wonderful World

turtleman
IRC: turtleman_
In-game: Traveler

by turtleman » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:Not sure if I did this the wrong way or, if it is not a feature coded into mobs in MT yet?

But, my kid had a good laugh last night... I was showing him your game, and there was a wolf.

"Feed it bones!" he said... "It will be your friend!!!" "that's how it works in MC".

I tried to give the wolf a bone.... left click = woops... ok, now he's mad...
right-click.... nope.... he's still angry at me!!!!! HELP!!!!! :P

So, I think it is obvious what my question is....
Right click, but it won't work on an angry wolf.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, you must have angered the wolf and in this mood, it can't be tamed. Wolves as well as taming them is very incomplete. But I think taming works when they are neutral, then you can give them commands via right-click.
If you angered a wolf, you could try to run away until it no longer hunts you, then return to the (now neutral) wolf.

Note the tamed wolves are not Minecraft-like at all. Because this is still a very, very incomplete feature (as well as mobs in general).

Bu_Gee
GitHub: Bu-Gee
In-game: Bu_Gee

by Bu_Gee » Post

Please pardon my ignorance on the subject, but do I have to regenerate my world to get the new stone blocks, or will they generate in an unexplored part of the map? If the latter, how unexplored are we talking about?

Diamond knight
GitHub: Diamondknight
In-game: Ferrumprinceps

by Diamond knight » Post

Wither skeletons use bows when they should use stone sword

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Yes, you must have angered the wolf and in this mood, it can't be tamed. Wolves as well as taming them is very incomplete. But I think taming works when they are neutral, then you can give them commands via right-click.
If you angered a wolf, you could try to run away until it no longer hunts you, then return to the (now neutral) wolf.

Note the tamed wolves are not Minecraft-like at all. Because this is still a very, very incomplete feature (as well as mobs in general).
Thank you both, turtleman and Wuzzy...
A Wonderful World

turtleman

by turtleman » Post

People mentioned villages earlier -- do villages still spawn? Can villagers trade? I have not encountered any yet.

Bu_Gee

by Bu_Gee » Post

Bu_Gee wrote:Please pardon my ignorance on the subject, but do I have to regenerate my world to get the new stone blocks, or will they generate in an unexplored part of the map? If the latter, how unexplored are we talking about?
I answered my own question. You can just go to a previously undrawn part of the map to get the new generation. According to my viewer, this behavior is the same as MC.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I pushed some bugfixes for wither skeletons; they now use melee combat. But skeletons and wither skeletons are still very poory implemented. I hate the fact that skeletons are unable to shoot arrows / are buggy in general.

Villages do not spawn anymore. They were just floating around most of the time which made them very unpleasant to look at, so I removed them for now. Map generation and generated structures in general are still very simple. Most of the overworld is just the stock v6 map generator. Only the small plants, cocoas, papyri, cacti, ores, bedrock and the Void use actually custom code.

The current top priority is to finish most of the various block definitions. I don't know when I start to work on the map generator for real. Very important is the proper implementation of trees and saplings but I have been pushing this away from me for a long time. :D

And yes, it is true. Any new features in the map generator can be found in existing worlds as long you explore new areas nobody visited before. This behvaiour comes directly from Minetest, so all other subgames will behave the same way.
I should have mentioned that in the change log (shame on me! :D).

mr_dean
In-game: mr_dean

by mr_dean » Post

You did a really good job on this Wuzzy, I wanted a game that made gameplay similar to that of Minecraft, but Overcraft Origins was so buggy that it was unplayable. So I was kinda doubtful when I saw this, but I installed it anyway, and it works fine. I also really like the music (thx Jordach) and the jukebox, it ads quite a bit to the game. I was thinking about making a similar mod, but never got around to it. Anyway +10 hundred billion :D

EDIT: I noticed a small problem with the furnace. A furnace will still cook a item even when the output slot is full. What I mean is, in Minecraft, the cooking process will stop once the progress is full, but in this game, the cooking will still continue even if the output is occupied. e.g. cooking mutton, then without removing the mutton, cooking beef. The beef still cooks and is removed from the input slot. In Minecraft, that is impossible. Although, this may be a engine issue.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure that what you heard is not what I meant. - Author Unknown

turtleman

by turtleman » Post

I love this game a lot, I have enjoyed playing it and seeing more and more stuff implemented. I modified travelnets to work in MineClone:

(link removed)

Replace mese with a gold block. I haven't tested elevators yet, only travelnets. I am hoping to modify more mods to work on MineClone as well.
Last edited by turtleman on Thu Mar 09, 2017 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Wuzzy

Version 0.15.0 (“The HUD Update”)

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.15.0, nicknamed “The HUD Update”, is here!

Changelog:
  • Complete ore generation rework: Tweak probabilities, cluster sizes and spawn heights
  • Coal appears in deep underground as well
  • White and light blue glazed terracotta
  • Achievements. Some basic achievements are implemented, but not dependencies.
  • HUD shows the name of your wielded item
  • Redesign of crafting table form and player inventory menu
  • Creative Mode: Add crafting guide button in survival inventory
  • Creative Mode: Add armor slots in survival inventory
  • Experimental map generation: Sandstone gets generated
  • Tweak skeleton and wither skeleton mobs. Still need a lot of work
  • Spruce trees instead of dark oak trees appear in snowy biomes now
  • All 6 saplings now grow trees, but they have the wrong shape
  • Saplings grow in 2 stages (not visible) before becoming a tree
  • Increase leaf decay distance to 4
  • Ender pearls are not craftable anymore
Bugfixes:
  • Fix silent ladder placement
  • Fix removing ladder twice on placement
  • Fix crash when activating TNT
  • Fix chicken not floating in water
  • Fix crash after digging vines
  • Reset cooking progress when changing the source item while smelting
  • Upgrade hbarmor mod to version 0.3.0, fixes possible error message spam
  • Fix item frames sometimes destroying items after placing them
  • Fix oak wood planks have a long dig time with axe
@turtleman: Forking an entire mod just for crafting recipes is bad. It works, but it is bad. Better would be if the original mod has an optional dependency on mcl_core (for the gold ingots) and only adds the crafting recipe if mcl_core is found. In case this is not possible, a seperate mod for crafting recipes could be added; it might seem overkill but it avoids redundancy hell.

@mr_dean: The bug is confirmed and tracked under https://github.com/Wuzzy2/MineClone2-Bugs/issues/141

turtleman

Re: Version 0.15.0 (“The HUD Update”)

by turtleman » Post

Wuzzy wrote:@turtleman: Forking an entire mod just for crafting recipes is bad. It works, but it is bad. Better would be if the original mod has an optional dependency on mcl_core (for the gold ingots) and only adds the crafting recipe if mcl_core is found. In case this is not possible, a seperate mod for crafting recipes could be added; it might seem overkill but it avoids redundancy hell.
Thank you for telling me, I have no experience making mods so just tried it and kept fixing errors :)

I removed it from Github for now.

Wuzzy

Looking back after >2 months of development

by Wuzzy » Post

Two months have passed after the release of version 0.1.0. Add a few extra days if you count my initial commits.
I thought it is about time to look back to see what has been done from the beginning since I picked up the original MineClone by daredevils.

Here's a list of things which have been added or changed since then (in no particular order):

Things done after >2 months of development

Game mechanics:
  • Cooking times
  • Add furnace fuels
  • Suffocation
  • Basic hunger system rework
  • Minor mapgen rework
  • Weather
  • The void
  • Sprinting
  • Digging times
  • Achievements
HUD:
  • Proper formspecs of usable blocks such as chests
  • Listrings
  • Less ugly HUD
  • Many bugfixes in creative inventory
  • Title screen
  • Crafting guide
Blocks:
  • 3D torches
  • Block of Coal
  • Command block
  • Diorite, andesite, granite (+polished)
  • Frosted ice
  • Update xpanes mod (better glass panes and iron bars)
  • Jukebox and music discs (from BFD)
  • Dark oak
  • All fence types
  • Corner stairs
  • Stone double slab
  • Dragon egg
  • Beetroot
  • Cocoas
  • Grass path
  • Nether blocks + items
  • End blocks + items
  • Flower pots
  • Concrete powder
  • Concrete
  • Bed update
  • Rework of all doors
  • Glazed terracotta (5 blocks only)
  • Hoppers
  • Droppers
  • Dispensers
  • Cauldron
Items:
  • Fix all item names
  • Tweak compass
  • Add clock
  • Fire charge
  • Written book, book and quill
  • More fish
  • Major rework of dropped items
  • Bow and arrows rework
  • Food items
  • Saddle
  • Most crafting items
  • Shovels make grass paths
Mobs (with help from others):
  • Squids
  • Husks, baby husks
  • Baby zombies
  • Improved mobs: slimes and magma cubes
  • Rabbits
  • Blazes
MineClone 2 as a whole:
  • Looked for an eligible existing Minecraft clone to use as a start
  • Found a lot of subgames which were too “far away” from Minecraft and rejected them
  • Picked up MineClone by daredevils
  • Complete reorganization of mods, makes it much easier to work with IMO
  • Rip out the terrible “default” mod
  • README files and documentation
  • A ton of bugfixes
  • Wrote down missing Minetest features and filed issues in GitHub for Minetest
Other:
  • Armor stand
  • Minecarts
  • Dripping water
  • Many smaller things I did not mention
As always, for those who want to see the progress of MineClone 2, you can also look into this OpenDocument spreadsheet which I update from time to time:
http://playmaniax.free.fr/MCL2_completion_tables.ods

This seems like a ton of stuff for 2 months (it probably is). But I also have to stress that a lot of this work would not have been possible without the support from others.

Looking back at the support from others

I'm extremely grateful for the support I got for mobs so far. I'm still not very happy with mobs as a whole but I decided I will do the “real” work on mobs later. Still, those models you already made are very nice.

Then there's the Minecraft Wiki, this project would probably much harder without it. Minecraft Wiki is EXTREMELY vital for the implentation of MineClone 2. The amount of detail in this wiki is ABSURD, it sometimes even has exact algorithms written down. This is crazy, but it makes is super easy to make MineClone 2 more Minecraft-like. If it weren't for Minecraft Wiki, I would probably not have bothered to start MineClone 2.

The fact that daredevils started MineClone is probably the main reason why this project even got started. It was the only subgame which wanted to stay true to the original. If it weren't for MineClone, I would probably not have had the initial motivation to start it at all.

The authors of Faithful 1.11 are amazing. WIthout free textures readily available, this project would have been much more tedious to do. Although I'm still looking for a 16×16 texture pack. :-/

I also want to thank the whole modding community of Minetest for their hard work. Although I generally complain a lot about mods because there's always something I “find”, I'm thankful for all the mods which I can choose from and plugging them in. This also saved me a lot of work. In fact, a lot of code in MineClone 2 was adapted from existing mods, but I still needed to do a lot of changes myself.
I'm especially grateful that it is basically established standard practice that mods are 100% free software, and non-free software is generally rejected. Stay strong! :-)

The amount of playtesting and feedback MineClone 2 has received so far has been amazing. Just look at it: There are already two Let's Play series and this forum thread is already over 10 pages long.
Giving me constant feedback about this subgame is very important, and I thank you very much. :-)

Future development
And the show goes on!
I'm currently working on:
Adding in-game help. I start of with adding help texts for all blocks and items. I will be using the Help modpack which I created before starting MineClone 2.

burli

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.15.0]

by burli » Post

Well done, but still a lot to do just to get close to Minecraft vanilla

burli

by burli » Post

btw: you can use now meshoptions for plants to get the croplike look from Minecraft, for example wheat

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Well done, but still a lot to do just to get close to Minecraft vanilla
I know, right? xD
The work ahead seems endless … But looking how far MineClone 2 has come in 2 months, I still think I can pull it off!
btw: you can use now meshoptions for plants to get the croplike look from Minecraft, for example wheat
Sadly, this doesn't seem to work with Minetest 0.4.15; I only get the default plantlike shape. I get the “#” shape only in the dev version. So adding the meshoptions would be a downgrade for anyone using the regular Minetest 0.4.15. Unless you can proof to me that meshoptions works in Minetest 0.4.15, I stick with the mesh until 0.4.16, I guess. And the mesh works just fine anyway, both in dev and 0.4.15.

MineClone 2 will stay compatible with the latest stable version of Minetest. I heard a few people have already trouble obtaining 0.4.15, so demanding to use the developer version of Minetest is out of question for MineClone 2.

sofar
Developer
GitHub: sofar
IRC: sofar
In-game: sofar

by sofar » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Sadly, this doesn't seem to work with Minetest 0.4.15; I only get the default plantlike shape. I get the “#” shape only in the dev version
Uh, it works just fine? That got added way before 0.4.15.

Are you properly setting param2 for all the nodes that need it? You do need to adjust your crop growth to make sure param2 is always set to the right value, through all stages of growth. (The screenshot is a dev version of minetest_game that has the param2 code, but a stock 0.4.15 minetest engine)

burli

Re: Version 0.14.0 (The Granite Update)

by burli » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Version 0.14.0 (The Granite Update) is here!
How did you add them? As ore?

Bu_Gee

Re: Version 0.14.0 (The Granite Update)

by Bu_Gee » Post

burli wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:Version 0.14.0 (The Granite Update) is here!
How did you add them? As ore?
It looks it: http://repo.or.cz/MineClone/MineClone2. ... 8056e256bc

burli

by burli » Post

I played a few minutes and I think there are to much mobs. In Minecraft animals only spawn once. If you killed them they are gone

burli

by burli » Post

I played 3 ingame days, just walking around near my "home", hunting cows. I just had to eat twice, the weather is changing very often, I got a lot of items from mobs, I didn't dig one iron, but I have a lot of iron tools... the list is long ;-)

Attachments
screenshot_20170314_210808.jpg
screenshot_20170314_210808.jpg (114.95 KiB) Viewed 1232 times