[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.53.3]

by Linuxdirk » Post

When RUN_IN_PLACE=true and you start Minetest from a directory that contains a subdirectory "locale" the client tries to load all translations only from that directory.

https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/8158

Hamlet
IRC: H4mlet
In-game: Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Linuxdirk wrote:When RUN_IN_PLACE=true and you start Minetest from a directory that contains a subdirectory "locale" the client tries to load all translations only from that directory.
https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/8158
But, then the client should not use any translation, instead it is using the German translations. I've also created an mcl_inventory.fr.tr and it loaded the French translation correctly, showing the translated string.

So, if it is working for the German and French locale, why it is not working for the Italian locale?
My repositories: Codeberg.org | My ContentDB's page

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

I'm working on the Spanish translations and I also had no issues there. I'll check if I can make it load as Italian when I get home to report back.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

As they say: "An image is worth 100 words."

1: Minetest's GUI --- language = de, language = fr, language =it
2: Locale file, check the filename and the test string.
3: Ingame outcome, zoom on Inventory's tooltip

Attachments
i18n_bug.jpg
i18n_bug.jpg (361.73 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

This translation talk should be moved to a different thread. I don't think you can blame MineClone 2 for this.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I don't think you can blame MineClone 2 for this.
I am not blaming MineClone 2.
It just happens that it is the only game supporting translations, thus at the beginning I thought that I had to check some setting, or that I was doing something wrong.
Since it is clearly an engine related problem, I will move the discussion in the problems subforum.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I don't think you can blame MineClone 2 for this.
I fear it is a MineClone 2 issue.
I have created a tester node, it worked properly on MT v5.0.1 and MTG v5.0.1.
See: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23096&p=354731#p354825

Can you try creating an mcl_inventory.it.tr and check if it gets loaded when minetest.conf "language = it" ?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Can you try creating an mcl_inventory.it.tr and check if it gets loaded when minetest.conf "language = it" ?
Yes. It does work.

I am not conviced this is a bug in MCL2. The problem must be somewhere else. I am not even convinced this is even a bug, but caused by something else. I don't know what exactly is the cause of your problem, however.

Yvanhoe

by Yvanhoe » Post

I suspected this was a case of using the environment's LOCALE (or LANG/LANGUAGE? not sure what gettext is checking) instead of setting it up explicitly in the game (I suppose you have tried to set up the game language as 'it', not just undefined?) but I could not reproduce it.

I could imagine that there are places that assume that if the language of the game is not set, it implies english rather than the OS' default.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

@Wuzzy @Yvanhoe

Eventually I have discovered what is causing this issue, it is not related to MineClone 2, but to Weblate itself. I will update the thread in the Problems subforum as soon as possible with the steps to reproduce it.

Wuzzy, thank you for testing, that confirmed my suspects.

BlazeGamingUnltd
GitHub: BlazeGamingUnltd
In-game: BlaZe3

by BlazeGamingUnltd » Post

How long do you think you will carry MCL2 Wuzzy? I mean this won't go out for 200 years will it. Also are you going to make the texture pack GamingAssociation39, Me and a few others are working on?.
-BlazeGamingUnltd
Do not forget to check my channel out : http://bit.ly/BlazeGamingUnltd

Wuzzy

Version 0.53.4!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.53.4 is here!

Changelog:
  • Added wool sounds
  • New explosion sound
  • Slightly different fuse sound
  • Fix ice not melting by artificial light sources (non-Sun light)
  • Add chorus plant stem to Creative Inventory
  • Fix typos

u34

Re: Version 0.53.4!

by u34 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Version 0.53.4 is here!

Changelog:
  • Added wool sounds
  • New explosion sound
  • Fix typos
nice update! awesome! keep up the good work! cu cHyper!

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

Re: Version 0.53.4!

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Version 0.53.4 is here!

Changelog:
  • Added wool sounds
  • New explosion sound
  • Fix typos
So should the spawn eggs be made up of images instead of overlaying them with colours? MT doesn't do the overlay/colours correctly
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Hamlet

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.53.4]

by Hamlet » Post

Given that ShadMOrdre has raised doubts about the legality of MineClone in regards of Minecraft (link), I am sharing these informations in the hope that they can be useful to clarify what the United States' law declare to be copyright infringiment. For the sake of clarity and legality, perhaps once and forever.

TL:DR version - LinCity is perfectly legal because it does not use any of SimCity's copyrighted assets, names, etc. therefore MineClone - provided that it doesn't use any MineCraft's copyrighted assets, etc. - is perfectly legal.

These informations are not exactly easy to find, especially if you are not a native English speaker. I have found them while informing myself about the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset, the Wizards of The Coast aren't known to be "easy going" on copyright infringiment; so for the sake of simplicity, let's consider Microsoft's attitude toward a copyright infringiment regarding Minecraft, as harsh as the Wizards of The Coast would be.

U.S. Copyright Office:

"Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

Material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container may be registrable."

"Copyright law does not protect names, titles, or short phrases or expressions. Even if a name, title, or short phrase is novel or distinctive or lends itself to a play on words, it cannot be protected by copyright. The U.S. Copyright Office cannot register claims to exclusive rights in brief combinations of words such as:

Names of products or services
Names of businesses, organizations, or groups (including the names of performing groups)
Pseudonyms of individuals (including pen or stage names)
Titles of works
Catchwords, catchphrases, mottoes, slogans, or short advertising expressions
Listings of ingredients, as in recipes, labels, or formulas. When a recipe or formula is accompanied by an explanation or directions, the text directions may be copyrightable, but the recipe or formula itself remains uncopyrightable."

Sources:
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/a/78159
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions ... ity-scores

Regarding the use of names, example "Gandalf", example "Beholder", example "Luke Skywalker" it must be said that they ARE protected by copyright.
Now it must be said that "Creeper" IS a monster of MineCraft, BUT it is also a synonim of "ivy" - Notch used a pun: "it's creeping ivy" - thus I doubt that "The Creeper" can legally be copyrighted.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4 ... n/d25co2i/

To sum up:

Once that a game has been created, example "Poker", you can develop another game based on "Poker", but you can not use "Poker"'s copyrighted elements: its name, its cards' images, and so on.

Else, it would be legal to register patents (copyright) on ideas.
Example: I invent the game "soccer" then register a patent protecting it, protecting the words "Goal", "Corner", and so on.
It would be an obvious absurdity.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yeah, thanks for clarifying this. I also believe I know a little bit of copyright, even when IANAL, and I've always been careful to ensure that MCL2 is 100% libre. Note that Hamlet is focusing on the US copyright here, but it's sorta kinda similar in other countries. Ideas alone are not copyrightable, that's an important truth and it's true not only in the US.

Linuxdirk
In-game: Linuxdirk

by Linuxdirk » Post

Hamlet wrote:U.S. Copyright Office:

"Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, [...]
That's what the trademark laws are for.

Hamlet wrote:Now it must be said that "Creeper" IS a monster of MineCraft, BUT it is also a synonim of "ivy" - Notch used a pun: "it's creeping ivy" - thus I doubt that "The Creeper" can legally be copyrighted.
It can be trademarked. "green mob called 'Creeper' that creeps towards the player and then explodes" of course can be trademarked. A green mob looking identical to the 'Creeper' mob that creeps towards the player and then explodes could be a trademark infringement.

Hamlet

by Hamlet » Post

@Wuzzy: You're welcome, I believe that these informations are useful both for MineClone AND for any other game developed by the Minetest's community.
I am not a lawyer too, but if needed I try my best to learn.
Linuxdirk wrote:
Hamlet wrote:U.S. Copyright Office:

"Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, [...]
That's what the trademark laws are for.
Of course.

Is/could "The Creeper" infringing trademark?
Linuxdirk wrote:
Hamlet wrote:Now it must be said that "Creeper" IS a monster of MineCraft, BUT it is also a synonim of "ivy" - Notch used a pun: "it's creeping ivy" - thus I doubt that "The Creeper" can legally be copyrighted.
It can be trademarked. "green mob called 'Creeper' that creeps towards the player and then explodes" of course can be trademarked. A green mob looking identical to the 'Creeper' mob that creeps towards the player and then explodes could be a trademark infringement.
Good point: it could be a trademark infringiment, but:
1 - The name itself is not an invented name like "Gandalf"; if the word "creeper" is protected by trademark just as "beholder"... well let's wait to see "dwarf", "elf", "cat", trademarked as well.

2 - To look identical to Minecraft's Creeper it should use Minecraft's textures (needless to say, copyrighted), which as far as I know is not the case.

If, and only if the word "creeper" has been trademarked, then call it "TNTivy".

People can legally use beholders as monsters for their games, provided they do not name them "Beholder(TM)". Do the same for the creeper.
This is the Minetest's Trademark Status & Document Retrieval (TSDR) if anyone is willing to check: my English is too bad for legalese diving.

[humour]
Maybe tomorrow for the spiders, the skeletons, the zombies... I mean, seriously...
[/humour]

EDIT: call it Kletterpflanze, it sounds even creepier - pun intended - than its English counterpart. :)
Last edited by Hamlet on Tue Sep 03, 2019 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

Jessss

by Jessss » Post

Hey,
I don't think 1.11 should be the benchmark. By doing that you are missing the opportunity of later patches. For example, staircases are being made out of different materials recently in Mcraft, but doing them like 1.11 will amke you leave the other types out. May as well do the lot at once.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Jessss wrote:Hey,
I don't think 1.11 should be the benchmark. By doing that you are missing the opportunity of later patches. For example, staircases are being made out of different materials recently in Mcraft, but doing them like 1.11 will amke you leave the other types out. May as well do the lot at once.
Wuzzy wrote:Features of later Minecraft versions might sneak in, but they have a low priority

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Ideas alone are not copyrightable, that's an important truth and it's true not only in the US.
Ideas can be patented and in the US software patents are a thing, unfortunately. But Minecraft wouldn't be able to patent the voxel style of game, since there is previous art.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Using the "creeper" as the base ex.

If another/similar game (doesn't even need to be a similar game tbh) just a game, with the use of the name "creeper" and the actual model & textures for the "creeper"... yup, you bet your sweet patootie you're gonna be in for a hard time and some serious problems.

To have a "similar" sort of monster, which performs a similar function, yet uses an entirely different model and textures... you are safe. As long as they are different enough in their existence.
As long as the model/textures/functions are not exact or "too similar" you could call it a "creeper"

The idea is that, one cannot copy the overall trademarked object exact.

Horses, pigs, etc., are more difficult for organizations (even such as MS & Mojang) to fight due to the fact that, these are real animals, and there is only so many ways they can be represented in such a game.
Those sort of things they will not even bother going after (as long as the textures are not too similar to their trademarked ones)
But when fictional characters (or any fictional part of the game for that matter which can easily be viewed as being the exact same or close enough) come into play, created via imagination... is where they will pounce upon any who dare test the law, as those are far easier to prove and win against.
Last edited by TumeniNodes on Tue Sep 03, 2019 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
A Wonderful World

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

TumeniNodes wrote:But when fictional characters (or any part of the game for that matter which can easily be viewed as being the exact same or close enough) come into play, created via imagination... is where they will pounce upon any who dare test the law, as those are far easier to prove and win against.
Like the mushroom cows.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

leo_rockway wrote:
TumeniNodes wrote:But when fictional characters (or any part of the game for that matter which can easily be viewed as being the exact same or close enough) come into play, created via imagination... is where they will pounce upon any who dare test the law, as those are far easier to prove and win against.
Like the mushroom cows.
Exactically
A Wonderful World

Wuzzy

Version 0.54.0 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.54.0 released! Nicknamed “The Return of the Fishing Rod”.

Changelog:
  • Fix arrows not rotating around the pitch axis
  • Fix fence collision box being too small, allowing small mobs to creep through
  • Teach mobs to avoid jumping if they'd bang their head
  • Fade out rain and fire sounds
  • Fishing rod returns! Fishing rod can launch a bobber and allows fishing in bodies of water (thanks, Rootyjr)
  • Change recipe for carrot on a stick
  • Mobs now flash red when hurt (thanks, Rootyjr)
  • Fix player animation not properly updated when leaving minecart (thanks, Rootyjr)
  • Fix dye not being removed from inventory when using on sheep (thanks, Rootyjr)
  • Fix sheep not regrowing wool when setting “mobs_griefing” is off
  • Add basic support for double doors (thanks, aligator)
  • Boats: Can move slowly on ground
  • Boats can now be placed on every block
  • Set max. speed of boats to 8 m/s per axis