[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

Andromenus

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.67.2]

by Andromenus » Post

Congrats, I like it - it was my very first Subgame in Minetest - and its funny (Survival Mode), but after a half week I want to get it bit harder.

I tried today also the Exile Mod (viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24334&start=25). But thats too hard for me. But I like the Health-Issue from the Exile (the player gets really hungry, lost temperature and also Energy) - very cool implemet in Exile. I like also, that animals did attack you, if you want slaughter them.

Is it possible to mix both mods - it would make mineclone bit harder / add this health feature too minetest?

;)

I think minetest + mineclone woule be a great MOD MOD :)

goats

by goats » Post

These are both very different games, you couldn't "mix" them. One could always write a mod for, say. Mineclone 2 which could even draw on code from Exile. But note that nothing like this would be added to MCL2 itself, as that is outside of its scope as a Minecraft-like game. Then you mention Minetest - which is either the engine which you must necessarily add something to, even if merely selecting one of the games which ship with it. One of those is Minetest Game, which is yet a third and separate game, but the vast majority of mods work with that game. There are plenty of mods and some other games which can make your gameplay extremely difficult, if you like. :)

(Exile is cool, played with it quite a few times, but for me personally i find it basically impossible, even after playing Nodecore, fwiw. :D )

kay27
GitHub: kay27

by kay27 » Post

I tried to paint enchanting table texture 16x16 dots, maybe it's better than usage of REFI, not sure... Anyway, better than the piece of a bedrock. Last time I did so was for ZX-Spectrum, I'm over excited :)

But did somebody test it? I think it produces some random result for the moment
Attachments
screen201.png
screen201.png (88.96 KiB) Viewed 1467 times

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

by zargulthewizard » Post

Minecraft stopped working on my PC, but minetest started working again, and mineclone 2 was fixed :-)
May God be with you, always.

goats

by goats » Post

Enchanting table looks nice as far as i am concerned. Cool.

harshith_ashok

by harshith_ashok » Post

Hey Wuzzy,

Great game by the way. I have a few things you can add to make it more like Minecraft. I think some of these were already discussed.

-Enchanting table(this mod-viewtopic.phpf=11&t=14087&hilit=enchantment+table)
-Redstone dust needs to be more solid
-pre built villages and pillager mob
-pillager outpost nearby villages
-underwater mobs and sculptures(like sunken ships)
-diamonds and emeralds need to be more Minecraft-like(if you understand what I mean. I didn’t even understand it myself ;) )
-slower chest animation(with sounds maybe...)
-obsidian is taking too long to mine even with a diamond pickaxe!
-Zombies need to be literally on fire during the day
-the screen jerks a little bit when life is lost in Minecraft
- the hearts pop when life reduces
-how about achievements in the top right and not in the centre
-blocks in the hud bar should bounce when collecting stuff from the ground
- the left hud for shields, food and other things like torches(only 1 space)
-giving gold to pigmen (ignore if it is already there)
-more texture to the crafting table
-the weapons don't look like Minecraft especially the stone sword (this texture pack has a good weapon texture-viewtopic.php?p=380410#p380410)

Hope this is not too much!

eyekay
GitHub: Azl-Eyekay
In-game: eyekay49

by eyekay » Post

harshith_ashok wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 06:50
-Enchanting table(this mod-viewtopic.phpf=11&t=14087&hilit=enchantment+table)
See above, its there in a branch, will be added soon hopefully
-diamonds and emeralds need to be more Minecraft-like(if you understand what I mean. I didn’t even understand it myself ;) )
Are you talking about textures? You can use a texture pack for that
- the left hud for shields, food and other things like torches(only 1 space)
Perhaps the most requested feature, but requires an engine change
-the weapons don't look like Minecraft especially the stone sword (this texture pack has a good weapon texture-viewtopic.php?p=380410#p380410)
I agree, this is by far the best texture pack ever, glad you liked it :)
(I didn't actually make that specific texture, but I'll take credit anyway)
<a href=about:blank> My projects</a>

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Version 0.68.0!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.68.0 has been released! Nicknamed “The kay27 Release”!

Features:
  • Nether portals can now be up to a size of 23×23 blocks
  • Nether portals can now have a non-rectangular shape
  • Player head now pitches
  • Rework Nether portals: 1 block travelled in Nether makes a difference of 8 blocks in the Overworld
  • Add blast resistance to stairs and slabs
  • Prevent opening double chests with solid block(s) on the top
  • Grow unloaded farming plants
  • Change spawn algorihm
Bugfixes:
  • Fix broken end portal shrine generation
  • Fix furnaces not working if time_speed=0
  • Fix bad bed obstruction checks
  • Fix brewing stand item duplication
  • Various bugfixes related to slimeblock+piston
  • Fix glass bottles remained empty on take water from cauldrons
Thanks to kay27, who did most of the work for this release.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

Re: Version 0.68.0!

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 18:01
Version 0.68.0 has been released! Nicknamed “The kay27 Release”!

Features:
  • Nether portals can now be up to a size of 23×23 blocks
  • Nether portals can now have a non-rectangular shape
  • Player head now pitches
  • Rework Nether portals: 1 block travelled in Nether makes a difference of 8 blocks in the Overworld
  • Add blast resistance to stairs and slabs
  • Prevent opening double chests with solid block(s) on the top
  • Grow unloaded farming plants
  • Change spawn algorihm
Bugfixes:
  • Fix broken end portal shrine generation
  • Fix furnaces not working if time_speed=0
  • Fix bad bed obstruction checks
  • Fix brewing stand item duplication
  • Various bugfixes related to slimeblock+piston
  • Fix glass bottles remained empty on take water from cauldrons
Thanks to kay27, who did most of the work for this release.
Downloadable via Minetest itself?
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.68.0]

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes. Click on the "Content" tab.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28
Thanks!
I have Minetest5.3.0 installed, now.
I hope there won't be any other version of MT soon. Because I'm tired to download (AGAIN! >:( ) MT for each improvment in MCL2. Litterally :/
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

JiCeyCraft wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 21:56
Wuzzy wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28
Thanks!
I have Minetest5.3.0 installed, now.
I hope there won't be any other version of MT soon. Because I'm tired to download (AGAIN! >:( ) MT for each improvment in MCL2. Litterally :/
Are you on Windows? If so you might like viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25419. Doesn't automatically update but it makes updating/installing much simpler
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

WarHawk

by WarHawk » Post

quick bug i have seen. when items are being pushed by water that is not flowing straight, like when the water goes around a corner, the items do not get picked up by hoppers underneath.
im not sure if this is fixed yet because i do not yet play the latest version.

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

kay27, thanks a lot for all the work in this release! :D And Wuzzy, thanks for offering us an updated version with all the new developments and fixes. :)

@kay27: Sorry for being unable to test the enchanting table (it looks great, by the way) and the experience mod, I hoped I'd manage to do it, but right now I can't even try the latest release. I'll add feedback when I can, as I'm really excited about those two additions and I'm glad there's someone working on it. :) Those are literally game changers. :D

goats

by goats » Post

OK: The brewing stand still does not show up in the craft guide with the 0.68 update. It probably will still show up in Help after one is made (and yet still not in the craft guide), but i forgot to make one and check and not in a position to do that just now.

Other notes:
I also think the brewing stand (formspec and operation) doesn't make a lot of sense, but hey it's an adapted mod. The help text might be a bit more helpful, but i'm hoping the enchanting table replaces it in main branch soon, assuming it too works as one would expect, and not operating with kludgey alternatives.

Also, since blaze rods seem to be a bigger pain to obtain than ever, yeah, not experimenting endlessly with combinations to see what does any good when i can't even gin up enough ender eyes for finding an end portal and activating it.

Since the nether seems to generate much differently now, where portals spawn in huuuuge open spaces, the lag is just incredible. This happens at first entry, as well as when one moves a fair distance from the spawn point, even though things seems to be generated to far distance already. The consequences were even worse in 0.68 than in 0.67.2-5f820c6. Not only is there a long period where i can't do anything but wait, there is a period where some things are "active", but other things are inactive or excessively laggy. I got killed by a magma cube while standing in the nether portal waiting to tp out. Flowing lava from various sources takes way too long to reach equilibrium. (Had a lava flow from a single node in a hill flood my nether portal also. Was watching for such things since they were obvious from the descending falls from ceiling, but still never saw it coming.) Yeah, if i had a better system, yadda yadda, but i used to have no such issues in nether, even when a portal spawned in a huge cavern. Are we using some sort of light version of overgeneration like DFC now?

Ghasts (and Blazes): Not as bad as in my 0.67.2-5f820c6 game, but maybe that's random, ghasts are seeing me and hitting me with fire charges through solid rock, sometimes ~30m below surface. There is no safe place to put a chest for cobble storage. That on-again off-again problem still seems to be solved with the bow-wielding skeletons, but this becomes a huge problem in a highly-overpopulated nether. Also, arrows seem to do nothing to either of them any more. At least they don't destroy cobble or other "real" stone nodes like they once did long ago. :)

Magma cubes: way the hell too many. There have always seemed to be a fair amount of them, but now it's just crazy. The endermen seem way toned down lately, maybe the magma cubes could be adjusted similarly. They also seem to be able to "hit" you at distance of a few nodes, and through walls. Direct contact on a jump should be required, but maybe this is just the engine being weird.

Zombie pigmen: Still attacking played when player has to engage any other mob. Should only be if player attacks a zombie pigman. But whatevs, it's more or less livable.

Endermen, not necessarily in nether: Still trying to figure out how to get ender pearls without causing catastrophic flooding destruction. There are other ways of obtaining ender pearls in MC, so maybe the drop chance should go up a bit? But their behavior and number is so much more like expected. Nice work!

A last thing: Nerfing the armor as was done long ago made some sense, particularly in the overworld, but the nether now seems to require something a bit better. Since we do not have shields (which basically render one invulnerable when used properly in MC, as far as i have seen and heard), i think it is necessary to have some sort of additional protection if the new crazy nether isn't otherwise adjusted. I play huge chunks of the game with no armor at all, until i run into tight spaces with mob spawners. The nether is another thing entirely.

Still experimenting, gonna try me some snowballs next. But i don't think they affect magma cubes, so meh.

- I think the bad bed obstruction checks may have been affecting me before (can't get into bed, but no message stating why). Definitely fixed now, if that was the problem i was facing.

Edit: The player magnet is too often crazy slow to pick up drops.

Just discovered that using bone meal in swamp only produced grass, poppies and dandelions. (There were a few generated orchids.) Was not the case in v 0.67.

Edit: Zombie pigmen still spawning occasionally in overworld.

After replacing dirt nodes in swamp, spreading dirt is not correct type, i.e, not dark swamp grass. Related to bonemeal issue?

kay27

by kay27 » Post

@goats, thanks so much for the feedback. Yes, Nether portal search can be slow, it depends on the server productivity. May be we should decrease the search area size? It is now 80x128x80, it's defined here.
By the way I'd like to add ash/dust particles for Nether :) Experimenting with snow code so the particles are the snowflakes for now, isn't it fun?

Upd. To be honest I didn't want to touch Nether weather now, but I almost forgot that I started to implement it some time ago and now realized that I almost lost the sources, it would be upsetting, so I merged as a squash: 1) Nether Portal texture and Nether ash very simple particles with python generators for further usage; 2) better recognizable default obsidian texture; 3) Nether portal particles. Please write if something is wrong.
Attachments
screen203.png
screen203.png (172.18 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
screen202.png
screen202.png (213.24 KiB) Viewed 1467 times

soulstenance
GitHub: soulstenance
In-game: soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

Great work on this mod/mod pack! I really love what you've done to make a fun and enjoyable experience. I have a few suggestions to make it more Minecraft like. Some should be relatively easy other may be suggestions to add to roadmap (if they're not already) but may be not so easy to implement.

Important suggestions
  • Donations - First suggestion because it's clear you put a lot of work into this and it's amazing! Not sure if there's any issues/legal hurdles with this but if not, I'd love to support this project even if it's just saying thanks with a cup of coffee.
  • Sprinting - A simple sprinting mechanic that increases your speed at the cost of hunger increase. (I tried adding a mod for this but it was either not compatible with your package or I didn't know what I was doing.)
  • Transparent water - Currently it is basically impossible to see underwater making underwater exploration nearly impossible.
  • Fall damage into water should be fully negated regardless of fall distance or water depth. Not sure if there's currently any reduction in damage but to be in line with Minecraft this should be 100% reduction.
  • Music - I know this has been suggested before but if there was a relatively straightforward way to add music ourselves you wouldn't have to worry about finding free and open music. Perhaps just add a folder location for music and include an empty soundtrack by default, where players could then add their own tracks which the game would cycle through.
Advanced use suggestions (helpful but not strictly needed)
  • Add a shortcut key for showing debug info (F3 in Minecraft). Not sure if this exists in vanilla Minetest but showing info like your coordinates to keep from getting lost can be quite useful.
Possible later roadmap suggestions (if possible)
  • Add enderman sounds such as teleporting and becoming angry. Currently it is impossible to tell if an enderman is angry until you get attacked.
  • Full nether fortresses with blaze spawners instead of just finding blazes randomly (and alone) in the nether
  • Same as above but for villages, pyramids, etc. in the overworld, as well as the addition of villagers.
I may have more suggestions in the future but that's all I've noticed for now. Please keep up the great work!

kay27

by kay27 » Post

soulstenance wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 05:05
  • Donations
Wuzzy's signature contains the way of donating.

> Sprinting
Yes, but don't you like how the E key acts? What should be further improved?

> Fall damage into water should be fully negated regardless of fall distance or water depth. Not sure if there's currently any reduction in damage but to be in line with Minecraft this should be 100% reduction.
Could you please clarify? 100% reduction even if you fall on the single-node water source? Next, if you fall not on the source itself but on the water flowing by the solid block? And what if the flow isn't too deep?
Some posts ago here was the same report that the water behaves wrong on fallings. I like jumping in the water too but as it is ofter rather deep pools I didn't see any probs.

> Music
If i'd know what triggers the music in Minecraft... https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questi ... play-music

> Add a shortcut key for showing debug info (F3 in Minecraft).
Didn't you check F5 key?

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

@kay27
  • Thanks, I will check that out!
> Sprinting
Yes, but don't you like how the E key acts? What should be further improved?
  • I was not aware it was the E key. It's listed as "Special" in the key bindings so I didn't notice or even try it. But that's great! I'd probably use LShift as that's what I'm used to but that's easily changed. On further testing I see that it doesn't seem to really affect hunger. In Minecraft sprinting is very costly on hunger and is generally only wise to use in emergencies. Also haven't tested this but if your hunger bar goes down to 3 points, sprinting should be disabled.
Could you please clarify? 100% reduction even if you fall on the single-node water source? Next, if you fall not on the source itself but on the water flowing by the solid block? And what if the flow isn't too deep?
  • For water damage, I don't recall for sure but I've seen Minecraft videos of people using water buckets to save themselves from fatal falls (especially in the End), so for sure a single water source block should always negate all damage. As for flowing water I'm less sure as I haven't played in a long while but I believe so.
If i'd know what triggers the music in Minecraft... https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questi ... play-music
  • Not sure what you mean by triggers. Couldn't it just always cycle through the music and then you could have a silent soundtrack if you want it to sometimes not play music? According to that article it's based on the time of day which would be cool but not super important imo.
Didn't you check F5 key?
  • I did not! Thanks for the tip. I did not see that in the keybindings so never thought to try it.
Last edited by soulstenance on Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

Unfortunately I don't use or have a Bitcoin wallet. Something like Liberapay would be more user friendly and it's easy to set up, with no fees to devs if I understand right. It's fully funded by donations rather than fees which makes it better than Patreon imo.

goats

by goats » Post

Yes, water and fall damage: Seriously, 4-5 nodes of water stop a 60 meter drop with no problem. I learned not to count on it even acting like other MT games ages ago, but it this isn't how it works in MC either.

The water is indeed too opaque, and light dims too rapidly w depth maybe.

Oh, right! Swimming. I looked this up as well and... the player should not sink like a rock with lead weights attached when in water. I remember this change from way back, and assumed it was supposed to be minecraft-like. Welp, no, not the case.

Something i noticed new in the latest version: Sometimes when using the bed, it immediately launches player back out as soon as it says "you're sleeping". Once i even took damage. :D :D I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?
kay27 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 15:44
Yes, Nether portal search can be slow
Ummm... "Nether portal search" means "looking for the other nether portal to which to connect"? It was only that slow the once, and only one other portal through which i had just come. The issue, i think, was more the general game lag. Never experienced anything like it before in mcl2 or most games. But it behaved like i was playing a game with the newer "dwarf fortress style caverns" with crazy map overgeneration. For instance, you can "mine" nodes, but nothing is really happening. Only that in this case, the "world" does start functioning again after 10-15 minutes, but oddly some things seem to start working before others.
kay27 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 15:44
By the way I'd like to add ash/dust particles for Nether :)
Probably no Nether weather for me, thanks, not with the way things are going on my system these days. :D All praise to chat commands. Looks cool, though. Also yes, the obsidian looks nice in the last versions, did you change it a bit again? (I always replaced the gross obsidian in mcl2 with a different texture before. Of course there is a lot of not-very-pretty obsidian in reality, but i like some slick in-game obsidian.)

Oh, and i think my spreading dirt type issue in the swamp may not be limited entirely to that dirt type. I need to find that swamp again and look, but some other dirt types seem to always change into param2:1 when "the grass grows back". Was trying to test and make a list but omg there are so many types. I should probably also try bone meal in flower forest or sunflower areas also...

Nice to see so much being developed lately, and i am glad Wuzzy has help they can work with these days. Much applause to you all.

kay27

by kay27 » Post

goats wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 15:02
Ummm... "Nether portal search" means "looking for the other nether portal to which to connect"?
As a player I didn't worried too much how it works so I didn't notice the differences between MC and MCL2 but then I read the wiki and it was a big surprise that it must be changed completely. I removed connections and added portal search. Yes, when the portals are directly connected it speeds up the process and you can be teleported instantly to the destination point. But it was a significant change of the gameplay because in Minecraft they are not linked. If there is a portal near the destination point, in some search area, you just appear in this portal. From this moment the source portal caches the destination of last teleportation but no more than a minute. During this interval you even can break the arrival portal - you enemy will follow you still and appear near you without auto generating of new portal. That is how it is. Search area is important. It must be 256x256 or 48x48 - I can't clearly take it from wiki because they say 3x3 chunks which is 48x48 but if you look on the picture - there is 256x256x128 area,
128x128x128 is the limit of Minetest function of loading the data. It works slow. I started from 64x64x128 and smoothly increased it to 81x81x128 and there I've got some tiny but visible delays, but they are in Minecraft too, except that MC takes you out of the game to watch the text 'Loading terrain', and I can't reproduce this behavior in Minetest for now, you just stay in the portal, or you may leave it, I can add chat message or maybe some progress bar, but maybe we should decrease searching area, I'm just not sure.
What for the gameplay: it adds possibilities of intercepting the players by building the portals with much closer coordinates and it prevents from creating many portals when there is already a portal.
soulstenance wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 07:12
  • Not sure what you mean by triggers. Couldn't it just always cycle through the music and then you could have a silent soundtrack if you want it to sometimes not play music? According to that article it's based on the time of day which would be cool but not super important imo.
@soulstenance Don't you think we'd get just yet another music player that way? I don't think it would be right... Of course I'm not the person who takes such decisions for MCL2 but I'd like to articulate:

It's the magic - the way how Minecraft triggers the music. Deep under the ground, you fight, you get tired, no food, no power, you killed a skeleton but the zombie attacks you and... you kill him too but have no hope and boom!! music starts to play! it was the last zombie, no more monsters, you're just relaxing looking around :) How it detected that? Challenging, unclear and awesome...
Attachments
screen018.png
screen018.png (12.59 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Last edited by kay27 on Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:12, edited 3 times in total.

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

@kay27
On the topic of nether portals I noticed when I went through a portal that I made in a cave, when I came back it generated a new portal above ground at roughly the same coordinates, in spite of the fact that the original portal was fully intact and functioning. Is this intended behaviour?

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Not exactly. This is how the combination of limits and searching the altitude works. What was the difference of portal altitudes? I noticed the same many times but it was always at least 64 by axis y which isn't so good but acceptable.

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

@soulstenance Don't you think we'd get just yet another music player that way? I don't think it would be right... Of course I'm not the person who takes such decisions for MCL2 but I'd like to articulate:

It's the magic - the way how Minecraft triggers the music. Deep under the ground, you fight, you get tired, no food, no power, you killed a skeleton but the zombie attacks you and... you kill him too but have no hope and boom!! music starts to play! it was the last zombie, no more monsters, you're just relaxing looking around :) How it detected that? Challenging, unclear and awesome...
I guess I never really thought of it like that but I can see that would be difficult to implement. I guess I was just thinking some music would be better than no music. We can of course just pull up a music player and play what we want but there's something to be said for integration. I don't think doing that would make it another music player as you wouldn't be changing it constantly or opening Minetest simply to play music, you'd set it up the way you like it and then just enjoy the game.