[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

ancientmariner
In-game: ancientmariner

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.81.0]

by ancientmariner » Post

I'd like to put on record thanks to Cora for her work and dedication as a maintainer of the project through a challenging period of time. There are big shoes to fill. I hope I can do the role justice.

Hotfix Release 0.81.1

Due to some server performance issues raised in the last release, we have investigated this and put in a fix for it as a hotfix which is now available on ContentDB. Thanks to rollerozxa and MatthiasZM for their help in getting to the bottom of this.

If there are issues, please let us know.

GamingAssociation39
GitHub: Gerold55
IRC: Gerold55
In-game: Gerold55

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.81.1]

by GamingAssociation39 » Post

I'm again working on my texture pack for MCL2. If anyone wants to help feel free to reach out to me so more work can progress on it. I'm hoping to make a texture pack relatively close to Minecraft's.
Attachments
screenshot_20221218_065250.png
screenshot_20221218_065250.png (534 KiB) Viewed 6695 times
Jesus Is Lord and Savior!!!

Preass

by Preass » Post

Is there a custom setting to not change respawn if bed is destroyed? I have a house far away from spawn and a creeper destroyed my bed and killed me. I have a hard time getting back to my house everytime.

runs

by runs » Post

goty.png
goty.png (470.82 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
Congratulations, you are a happy SAMMY AWARDS winner!

Participate to get your prize.

PrairieWind
GitHub: PrairieAstronomer
IRC: PrairieWind
In-game: PrairieWind

by PrairieWind » Post

Preass wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 13:14
Is there a custom setting to not change respawn if bed is destroyed? I have a house far away from spawn and a creeper destroyed my bed and killed me. I have a hard time getting back to my house everytime.
Not at the moment. Might be an idea to add though.

catmine

by catmine » Post

Hi, I;m playing the current mineclone (0.81.1)
I got to the end. a few of the pillars did not have a crystal on them, but I destroyed the crystals that were there. I did damage to the ender dragon, till it was down to 75% health, then it flew off/disappeared when I was behind a pillar.
I built a tall tower and saw it in the distance, then it went away.
how can I kill the dragon when it flys away?. is this a bug?. I've waited for half an hour and it is still nowhere in sight.
any ideas on what to do?
many thanks.

silverfang789

by silverfang789 » Post

I put a trapdoor in my floor. When I open it, I can't go down into the tunnel I made. Bug?
trapdoor bug
trapdoor bug
minetest mineclone trapdoor bug.png (91.96 KiB) Viewed 6021 times

Corax

by Corax » Post

silverfang789 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 02:33
I put a trapdoor in my floor. When I open it, I can't go down into the tunnel I made. Bug?
Kind of working as intended, I think.
Trapdoors act as ladders when open, try sneaking/crouching.

You may have to back away a little so the game notices you're not trying to sneak while standing on the rim of the door. Somewhat tricky at times to get it just right, especially in one-block spaces like this.
If it doesn't hurt aesthetics too much, I occasionally place an additional, permanently open trapdoor just right above the actual one, so you bump into that and get aligned correctly to slide down the other one.

ancientmariner

by ancientmariner » Post

Hi all, I'm proud to announce the release of 0.82.0.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qo-F4IK2w

Here are the release notes:

Important notes

Due to a much needed dye refactor, the following items have been added:

"mcl_bone_meal:bone_meal"
"mcl_mobitems:ink_sac"
"mcl_core:lapis"
"mcl_cocoas:cocoa_beans"

Due to this, those items now appear as dye (which they were named as in the backend. e.g. Lapis was called mcl_dye:blue). We have added new crafting recipes in so that users can convert their dye back to those items. We will be leaving these recipes in for a period of time (3 - 6 months), so it is best to convert your old lapis back into lapis from blue dye as soon as you can.

Zombie siege raids will be turned off by default. Once we resolve a bug where zombies will path through doors causing a blood bath, we will readd these in, but your villager's safety is a priority (ish) to us. If you feel like living dangerously, or are of sadistic disposition / simply hate villagers, you can still turn these back on...

Improvements
  • Bamboo and bamboo blocks added (MineClone2 dev team)
  • Bamboo Textures (Nicu)
  • Main Menu Rework (new pictures and menu music added) (FossFanatic)
  • Added game music (code by kay27 from mcl5)
  • New lectern block added (Michieal/Faerraven)
  • Light blocks added (AFCMS)
  • Add Recovery Compass (chmodsayshello)
  • Add japanese translation (SakuraRiu)
  • Update sounds from MTG (grorp)
  • Villager pathfinding improvement - pathing through single and multiple doors better, path to town bell when off the ground (AncientMariner)
  • Dye refactoring; untangle bone meal, lapis, ink sac and cocoa beans from dye items. (Kabou)
  • Burger now pulls one villager on right click (AncientMariner)
  • New version command to improve support (Michieal/Faerraven)
  • Villages spawn more effectively in desert and snow (AncientMariner)
  • Village town bell platform is now correctly sized (AncientMariner)
  • Adjusts mcl_crimson Doors to have a specified side texture (Wbjitscool)
  • Grass Footstep Sound Fix (FossFanatic)
  • Overworld Biome Sky And Fog Colours (FossFanatic)
  • Cocoa Pods Cleanup (FossFanatic)
  • Replace lighting rod nodebox by 3d model (AFCMS)
  • Respawn Anchor Cleanup & Fixes (FossFanatic)
  • Nylium and bee block sounds (FossFanatic)
  • Make Night Sky Darker (FossFanatic)
  • Animated Nether Tree Textures Groundwork (FossFanatic)
  • Nether Ores And Blackstone Texture Fixes (FossFanatic)
  • Add Seagrass Item Texture (FossFanatic)
  • Small Useless Textures Cleanup (FossFanatic)
Code Improvements / Quality
  • Mob code has been significantly refactored to improve maintainability (Cora and AncientMariner)
  • Add .editorconfig file to enforce codestyle in compatible editors (AFCMS)
Performance Improvements
  • check_head_swivel is expensive when you have a lot of mobs near (e.g. cow farm) (AncientMariner)
  • Refactor leaf decay mechanics. (Kabou)
Bugs Fixed
  • Fix tamed ocelot textures not being set correctly (b3nderman)
  • Fix animals jumping way too high upon growing up (b3nderman)
  • Allow blaze spawners to be deactivated with light (AncientMariner)
  • Fix geode crash (AncientMariner)
  • Villagers now use lectern to become a librarian (AncientMariner)
  • Fix Country Lode HUD Issue (PrairieWind)
  • Fix crash for sky colour if cannot find biome (AncientMariner)
  • fix-cocoa-place (Kabou)
  • Fix the disapearance of christmas texture of the ender chest once it is placed (3raven)
  • Slime, magma cube and cow spawning fixes. (Kabou)
  • Beetroot harvesting should not drop 0 seeds (Michieal/Faerraven)
  • Add bookshelves and anvils as structure constructed nodes (PrairieWind)
  • Fix creative inventory view being reset upon taking damage (CyberMango)
  • Fix the bug that baby (non-monster) mobs cant jump over blocks (CyberMango)
  • Fix right click on copper crash (AncientMariner)
  • Zombie Villagers despawn during curing process (AncientMariner)
  • Sweetberry, nethervines: Fix placing in protected area (Cora)
  • Additional sweet berry fixes (CyberMango and Cora)
  • Fix twisted vines breaking block when growing (Cora)
  • Pressure plates check for entity contact (MrRar)
  • Village buildings can now be escaped (AncientMariner)
  • Baby zombies can no longer fit through one node spaces (MrRar)
  • Endermen don't despawn (AncientMariner)
  • Give longer to breed mobs. 1.5s is not enough (AncientMariner)
  • Cows don't come for food after mating but they accept it anyway (AncientMariner)
Last edited by ancientmariner on Wed May 10, 2023 15:44, edited 2 times in total.

PrairieWind
GitHub: PrairieAstronomer
IRC: PrairieWind
In-game: PrairieWind

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.82.0]

by PrairieWind » Post

Good job team. Can't wait to see what comes in the next release.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

ancientmariner wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 13:52
it is best to convert your old lapis back into lapis from blue dye as soon as you can.
Huh, I'm curious, if there's old lapis and new lapis and the old is going away, is there any reason you don't just use an alias to auto-convert them instead of having players turn it into dye and back?
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

ancientmariner

by ancientmariner » Post

The old one (lapis) was actually named mcl_dye:blue, and mcl_dye:blue was used where lapis should have been. Old lapis was consistent with what we wanted blue dye to be named. It should have been a separate item the whole time but unfortunately wasn't, so we've created lapis, and changed mcl_dye:blue icon to be blue dye rather than lapis.

It's technically the correct change, but not ideal, so we added a crafting recipe so folk can convert it back to lapis.

Technical debt like this isn't fun, but sometimes there isn't a great option for it.

I've edited my original comment to make it a little clearer. Thanks for the question/suggestion.

silverfang789

by silverfang789 » Post

The update fixed the mobs ceasing to move when I return to my floatland house.

Thanks.

pupper1337

by pupper1337 » Post

Hi! I want to share my experience/challenges with running MineClone 2 on a cloud server, and see if anyone can help me troubleshoot :)

TL;DR:
I was able to get Minetest 5.4.1 running with MineClone2 0.76.0. However, I could NOT get Minetest 5.6.0 running with Mineclone2 0.82.0

Context: I want to set up a Minetest server in the cloud for me and my friends to play. I want to use cloud hosting rather than self-hosting on a local device, because my internet connection is spotty, and I want the server to have reliable uptime.

Cloud: I used Oracle's free cloud service, because it's free, and gives you 4 powerful ARM Ampere CPUs, and 24 GB of RAM https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/. I'm running Ubuntu Linux 22.04 on this Virtual Private Server (VPS).

Problems: There are two problems with this setup:
1. Minetest doesn't provide a self-contained Minetest zip folder on Linux, unlike Windows. So in order to run a Minetest server, I would have to get an outdated version from the repositories, or compile Minetest myself.
2. I'm starting to suspect that the ARM architecture is causing my problems. I've been able to run a Minetest server on my AMD-based laptop without issues.

Failures and Successes:

After setting up Ubuntu on my Oracle Cloud server, I've tried all of the following to get my Minetest server running:

Failure 1: I tried compiling Minetest 5.6.0 on my Oracle Cloud VPS, and running it with Mineclone2 0.82.0.
I chose these versions because they were listed on this Mineclone2 release thread as compatible: viewtopic.php?t=16407

Result: My friends and I can connect and play Mineclone2, but the server consistently crashes during the 1st night. We checked the debug.txt logs in the Minetest folder, but didn't find anything useful.

Here's an example of the segmentation fault crash that happened. All the crashes mentioned below showed a similar message:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

2023-01-23 10:25:59: ACTION[Server]: [mcl_mobs] Mob mobs_mc:spider despawns at (-5.7,-21.5,39.8) lifetimer ran out
2023-01-23 10:26:01: ACTION[Server]: [mcl_mobs] Mob mobs_mc:skeleton spawns on mcl_core:granite at (-7.0,-5.0,14.0)
2023-01-23 10:26:01: WARNING[Server]: [mcl_mobs] mob mobs_mc:enderman refused to spawn at (-7,-5,14)
2023-01-23 10:26:03: ACTION[Server]: [mcl_mobs] Mob mobs_mc:enderman despawns at (-7.8,-23.1,44.0) lifetimer ran out
2023-01-23 10:26:18: ACTION[Server]: [mcl_mobs] Mob mobs_mc:creeper despawns at (-21.9,1.7,-41.4) lifetimer ran out
2023-01-23 10:26:23: ACTION[Server]: [mcl_mobs] Mob mobs_mc:zombie despawns at (44.2,1.5,38.5) lifetimer ran out
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Minetest game works without crashing.

Failure 2: I tried compiling Minetest 5.5.1 on my Oracle Cloud VPS, and running it with Mineclone2 0.80.1.
I chose these versions because they were listed on this Mineclone2 release thread as compatible: viewtopic.php?t=16407

Result: Mineclone2 was stable when I played as the only person on the server. But when my friends joined the server, it crashed after about 23 minutes. It ran longer without crashing than with Minetest 5.6.0 and Mineclone2 0.82.0.

Failure 3: I tried compiling Minetest 5.4.1 on my Oracle Cloud VPS.

Result: I didn't even get to run the server because it had build errors.

Failure 4: I tried compiling Minetest 5.6.0 on my Oracle Cloud VPS, and tried to run it with Mineclone2 0.80.1.

Result: The server kept immediately crashing.

Success 1: I tried installing Minetest 5.4.1 via Ubuntu's repositories

Code: Select all

sudo apt install minetest-server
on my Oracle Cloud VPS, and tried to run it with Mineclone2 0.76.0.

Result: My friends and I were able to play without crashing for ~ 7 hours straight.

Success 2: I tried compiling Minetest 5.6.0 on my own laptop, and running it with Mineclone2 0.82.0. I did this as a direct comparison to the Failure 1 (on my Oracle Cloud server).

Result: My friends and I were able to play without crashing for ~ 4 hours straight. This shows that I was following the compiling directions correctly, but it still wasn't working on my Oracle Cloud server for some reason.

Observations:

- When the server does crash, it either crashes immediately, or during the first night. I'm not sure if the crashing has something to do with monsters spawning, but that's a consistent pattern. I posted this here because the server versions that crashed when running with Mineclone2 seemed to work fine with Minetest game.
- I was able to get Minetest 5.6.0 and Mineclone2 0.82.0 running without crashes on my personal laptop. These same versions consistently crashed on my Oracle Cloud server.

Please help:

I know my setup is pretty niche (running on an ARM-based cloud server), but I was so excited to get my friends off Minecraft and onto the FOSS Minetest, and I want to be able to play with the latest version and feature updates to Minetest and Mineclone2.

I'd really appreciate your help! :)

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

i only can confirm, that minetest 5.6.0 + mineclone2 0.81.0 runns on ARM because i run both succsessfully on my raspberry pi 4 without any Problems

important:
- only testet up to 4 player for a short period of time ( little less then one hour )
- i needed to use the jua version shiped with minetest or it also crash immediately

If I don't forget, I'll try mt5.6.1 + mc0.82.0 on the pi4 tonight

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

pupper1337 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 01:27
Hi! I want to share my experience/challenges with running MineClone 2 on a cloud server, and see if anyone can help me troubleshoot :)

TL;DR:
I was able to get Minetest 5.4.1 running with MineClone2 0.76.0. However, I could NOT get Minetest 5.6.0 running with Mineclone2 0.82.0
Because there are no details about the crash, we can't tell what triggers it. You should definitely try the latest stable Minetest release - 5.6.1. If even that one crashes without any helpful information, this should be reported in the Minetest issue tracker, so the developers can look into this. It could even be some compiler flag that needs toggling, so make sure you follow their readme closely, just in case.

Walker

by Walker » Post

Walker wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 05:00
If I don't forget, I'll try mt5.6.1 + mc0.82.0 on the pi4 tonight
ok

compiling of Minetest 5.6.1: succsess
running MineCLone2 0.82.0: succsess

test periot: 1 hour

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

Very nice, thanks for testing that! :)

Walker

by Walker » Post

ok, i played 2 hours streight ... way too many mobs killed but no crashes

unfortunately i need to go to bed now, sorry

lemonzest
IRC: lemonzest
In-game: lemonzest

by lemonzest » Post

Also running a MineClone2 instance on Oracle Free Tier aarch64 server, I run AlmaLinux 9.1 and rebuilt the fedora rpm using mock, runs great!

chargintarge

by chargintarge » Post

Is there a necessary step to summoning the ender dragon to fight, or should it happen by itself upon entering the end?

chargintarge

by chargintarge » Post

And another thing:

In the End, especially farther out in the outer End Islands, there are random groups chunks that have shadows hanging over them to various intensities.

Some have what seem to be a little bit of shadow, and others are completely shadowed. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any objects causing this (especially with how they seem to occupy chunks only and not form independent objects)

timsoft
GitHub: timsoftgit

by timsoft » Post

hi, I tried to create an account to report some issues but the account verifier is not sending the email, which prevents me reporting anything. my address is a googlemail.com one, so nothing fancy, and there's nothing in spam. is it something that can be fixed, or should I just report issues here instead.?

timsoft
GitHub: timsoftgit

by timsoft » Post

pistons don't move most containers. eg chest, furnace. they do move a smoker. it would be useful for redstone creations if they could move chests and furnaces, and anvils etc. interestingly you get the xp from smoking food when a piston moves the smoker.

DOOM_possum
In-game: DOOM_possum

by DOOM_possum » Post

yes the game is getting better and better and i heard WUZZY has left

infinite sadness as he was a GATEWAY to the fields of passion

but if there is a new BOSS maybe he can help upgrade our technology as it is always key to success

no matter if the fields are growing carrots, or skeletons