[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

Walker
In-game: Walker

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.64.0]

by Walker » Post

Code: Select all

2020-05-08 13:09:26: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'mcl_playerplus' in callback environment_Step(): ...est/games/mineclone2/mods/PLAYER/mcl_playerplus/init.lua:47: attempt to index a nil value
2020-05-08 13:09:26: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-05-08 13:09:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...est/games/mineclone2/mods/PLAYER/mcl_playerplus/init.lua:47: in function <...est/games/mineclone2/mods/PLAYER/mcl_playerplus/init.lua:9>
2020-05-08 13:09:26: ERROR[Main]: 	...etest520/bin/../share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function <...etest520/bin/../share/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>
2020-05-08 13:09:26: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

Wuzzy wrote: I no longer accept PRs
Why are you requesting contributors to "upload the repository somewhere where it can be accessed from the Internet and notify [you]"? Is there something bad about PRs I don't see? Any workflow issues?
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Version 0.65.1 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.65.0 released! Nicknamed “The explosive Update”!
Version 0.65.1 released!

Changelog:
  • Fix a variety of crashes
  • Complete overhaul of explosion handling, thanks to ryvnf
  • Blocks now weaken explosions. Different blocks have different blast resistances and might even protect you completely
  • Explosions push players and other things
  • Fix incompete update of legacy dry grass
  • New logo! Thanks to yutyo
  • Fix creeper explosions not harming mobs
  • Some explosions now create fire
  • Guardians no longer spawn (they spawn in bad locations and they're incomplete anyway)
----

@Walker: Thanks for your bug reports, and I hope I fixed them. But in future, it would help if you would at least write ONE sentence about context (if you know about it). E.g. what you did before it crashed.
@LMD: I reject PRs because the operator of git.minetest.land needs to keep space usage low.

Walker

Re: Version 0.65.1 released!

by Walker » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 00:00
[...]
@Walker: Thanks for your bug reports, and I hope I fixed them. But in future, it would help if you would at least write ONE sentence about context (if you know about it). [...]
the problem: i don't know xD
my laptop (on which the German-MineClone2 server is running) is just next to me ... and suddenly I see him restarting;)
Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 00:00
[...]E.g. what you did before it crashed.
[...]
oh sorry, but every time i post just the log it happens on my server, not at a singleplay, so I did nothing ... it's always the other's fault xD

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:22
So you're teaching your kids to depend on provably insecure, proprietary spyware for communication? Nice.
Zoom might be more convenient to use, but you have to make a lot of sacrifices to use it …
While I haven't used Zoom (for the same reasons that you mention), I'm not sure that it's more convenient to use than meet.jit.si. I have used that quite a bit and it worked fine for me (granted, I didn't have 40 people on the call, though).
Wuzzy wrote: They are obviously trying very hard to lure you into their walled garden. When the crisis is over, they will start to lock things down again. That's for sure. They do not do this out of niceness, this is just clever marketing. Eventually, when everyone depends on Zoom and is mentally unable to use anything else, they will start to dictate prices and introduce more restrictive rules and most people will just obey since they are unable to resist.
You're describing the network effect. It really bothers me that people are jumping on Zoom without any consideration to what this haphazard decision entails. The "I hate Facebook, but everybody is on Facebook so I'm on Facebook" thing. I've seen it with MSN Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype and now Zoom. This pandemic, with everybody trying to get on videochats, would've been the perfect time to have people move on to a more respecting platform (again, meet.jit.si or a self hosted version of that, even better).
For hardcore minecraft fans: Mineclone 2 is a pale imitation. The graphics are a bit uglier, it's a bit slower, the monsters are dumber, animals keep walking into the river and floating away, there are gaps in the gameplay, and there's no villages.
I'm surprised you found Mineclone 2 slower. I can barely run Minecraft on my laptop on minimum settings (thanks, JVM!), but MineClone 2 was always fine for me. I had issues with the pathfinder algorythm in the past, but that seems to be resolved.
Wuzzy wrote:
When we realized that Mumble was a usability disaster, we changed the plan to just use Zoom for the minetest game too.
How about giving feedback directly to the Mumble devs? FOSS devs generally suck at usability, so feedback in this area is very important.
I feel that Mumble would be the wrong tool for what was trying to get accomplished. Mumble is typically for one person talking at a time. It's a good replacement for "Ventrilo" or "TeamSpeak" or whatever proprietary software kids are using these days. You have push to talk and one person talks at a time. Also, Mumble doesn't have video, does it? I haven't used it in a while, but when I did use it it worked great for me (even the phone app).

Edit: I hadn't read the original blog post yet, so I now realize that Mumble was supposed to be used in game, not to sing happy birthday, etc. I guess Mumble does have a steeper learning curve than other apps and it could use some simplicity if they want to cater to gamers that don't necessarily have IT knowledge.
Last edited by leo_rockway on Fri May 08, 2020 22:34, edited 2 times in total.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.65.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

I had issues with the pathfinder algorythm in the past, but that seems to be resolved.
The pathfinder is implemented in Minetest itself, but it turned out to be very broken, possibly even since day 1. The pathfinder would often fail to find any path at all under various common circumstances, in situations where it totally should have found a path. But even when it did find a path, the returned path is completely bonkers and might walk a very inefficient way. The reason for this inefficiency was that the algorithm that Minetest claims to be A* was actually not A* at all, it was something different, a broken A* implementation that was far from being optimal.
I have figured that out by actually testing the pathfinder with my testing game, Development Test, by adding a Pathfinder Tester tool to reveal the nodes that the pathfinder waks.
Because this bug was so bad, I decided to actually fix it in Minetest itself and posted a PR. The PR was accepted, and the pathfinder is finally fixed in Minetest 5.2.0. The pathfinder is not perfect yet, there are still missing features to make it more useful. For example, checking height clearance (current pathfinder assumes a height of 1 only). But at least it's no longer broken.

So yeah, the pathfinder problems were actually caused by Minetest, not MCL2.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 22:25
I had issues with the pathfinder algorythm in the past, but that seems to be resolved.
The pathfinder is implemented in Minetest itself, but it turned out to be very broken, possibly even since day 1. The pathfinder would often fail to find any path at all under various common circumstances, in situations where it totally should have found a path. But even when it did find a path, the returned path is completely bonkers and might walk a very inefficient way. The reason for this inefficiency was that the algorithm that Minetest claims to be A* was actually not A* at all, it was something different, a broken A* implementation that was far from being optimal.
I have figured that out by actually testing the pathfinder with my testing game, Development Test, by adding a Pathfinder Tester tool to reveal the nodes that the pathfinder waks.
Because this bug was so bad, I decided to actually fix it in Minetest itself and posted a PR. The PR was accepted, and the pathfinder is finally fixed in Minetest 5.2.0. The pathfinder is not perfect yet, there are still missing features to make it more useful. For example, checking height clearance (current pathfinder assumes a height of 1 only). But at least it's no longer broken.

So yeah, the pathfinder problems were actually caused by Minetest, not MCL2.
I remember this and I wasn't blaming MCL2, but in Minetest Game there are no mobs by default (or weren't at the time, I haven't touched Minetest Game in a long long time), so I could only see the issues in MCL2. I recall that somebody had actually written a pathfinder mod in Lua which was faster for me than the Minetest pathfinder (that was, as you said, completely broken).

I didn't know that you had been the one who provided the PR to fix pathfinder. Thank you for that!
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

nelkat

by nelkat » Post

Hi,

Is there an "easy" way to stop or extinguish the forest fires caused by thunderstorms? Right now my horizon is just one huge forest fire that is going on and on and on... and is making the CPU to constantly be above 100%, even when I'm underground at bedrock level.

I tried making a firewall to stop it from spreading further, but when I'm near the fire it seems to spread faster.

Thanks.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Yes, first you should disable fire spread in the settings, and second, use the /weather rain command.

I can confirm that the fire spread is very aggressive right now. It's one of the top priority problems to fix right now.

For servers, I strongly recommend to disable fire spread right now.

nelkat

by nelkat » Post

Yes, that did it! Thank you :-)

Also I just had the game crash with the following error after hitting a creeper with flint and steel.

2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '??' in callback luaentity_Step(): ..../games/mineclone2/mods/CORE/mcl_explosions/init.lua:365: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'strength' (a nil value)
2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: 	..../games/mineclone2/mods/CORE/mcl_explosions/init.lua:365: in function 'explode'
2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: 	...n/../games/mineclone2/mods/ENTITIES/mcl_mobs/api.lua:3856: in function 'boom'
2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: 	..../games/mineclone2/mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/creeper.lua:72: in function 'do_custom'
2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: 	...n/../games/mineclone2/mods/ENTITIES/mcl_mobs/api.lua:3146: in function 'on_step_old'
2020-05-09 16:13:18: ERROR[Main]: 	...mineclone2/mods/ENVIRONMENT/mcl_void_damage/init.lua:17: in function <...mineclone2/mods/ENVIRONMENT/mcl_void_damage/init.lua:16>
Now the game keeps crashing again with the same error one or two seconds after reloading.

I'm using MineClone 2 0.65.1 and Minetest 5.2.0. I've been able to reproduce this in a new world, spawning a creeper and hitting it with flint and steel. It seems that the mobs:boom function in mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/creeper.lua is being called with the wrong parameter for strength. It should be self.explosion_strength instead of self.explosion_radius:

diff --git a/mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/creeper.lua b/mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/creeper.lua
index d3826973..e5ff688c 100644
--- a/mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/creeper.lua
+++ b/mods/ENTITIES/mobs_mc/creeper.lua
@@ -69,7 +69,7 @@ mobs:register_mob("mobs_mc:creeper", {
                if self._forced_explosion_countdown_timer ~= nil then
                        self._forced_explosion_countdown_timer = self._forced_explosion_countdown_timer - dtime
                        if self._forced_explosion_countdown_timer <= 0 then
-                               mobs:boom(self, self.object:get_pos(), self.explosion_radius)
+                               mobs:boom(self, self.object:get_pos(), self.explosion_strength)
                                self.object:remove()
                        end
                end
Making this change seems to have fixed it for me.

Thanks.

Nebbie

by Nebbie » Post

So I took a break from playing a bit of Minecraft in hardcore mode in its most recent snapshots to check this out, and I went from spawning with nothing in seed 0 to having at least 1 blaze rod and 1 ender pearl (using that as a benchmark because it's how you get to the End, which I know isn't currently functional) in a bit less than an hour.
This is my list of what I consider to be gameplay-detrimental differences from Minecraft I encountered, in order:
  1. Jumping seems a little weirdly "floaty". I'm not sure what the issue is with the acceleration compared to Minecraft exactly, but for repeated jumping, part of it I think it's that there isn't a cooldown between jumps, so holding spacebar and running at a cliffside just makes you zoom up it. This also makes moving across water weirdly fast.
  2. Item pickup is completely instant, which is a little jarring. This might be better for reducing frustration with items falling off cliffs, but there's probably a better middleground to be able to see what you're picking up when it drops.
  3. Sneaking doesn't reduce the height of the camera, which makes it impossible to tell when you're sneaking or not, and this makes for a lot of uncertainty around ravines.
  4. There's multiple annoyances with the GUI: Not being able to shift-click out everything from the crafting output, having an item being dragged in inventory to stay being dragged rather than dropping (something useful for rapidly disposing of items), and dragging a stack of items to fill up crafting slots seemed to work in the crafting table, but not the 2x2 crafting window. I assume all of these are pretty much out of your control, of course.
  5. Somehow a pig, a rabbit, and a chicken all died at the massive waterfall near spawn. Probably by drowning due to poor mob behavior.
  6. Combat is weird enough with spam attacking, but the lack of knockback present really makes fighting things feel rather stupidly uncertain, especially with creepers.
  7. The pickup and block breaking sounds are a bit too loud I think. It's hard to hear anything else when mining.
  8. Maybe I just got lucky, but only slimes spawned in the big cave on the eastern peninsula near spawn, which made it super easy to take all its iron and light it up before there were any problems. Possibly related is that when I went up to the surface later on after having spent a bit not sleeping, I noticed a lot of spiders chilling out in the ocean.
  9. Beds only let you use them from right on top of them, not even being right up against them.
  10. Making the Nether portal was honestly the most frustrating part. I can deal with the flow rate not being like Minecraft's, but not being able to pick up a liquid source through flowing liquids is killer, and it seems like liquids don't flow in the same way as Minecraft (place water above a hole with a ring of blocks and instead of it just going straight down, it can also decide to go to the side, which makes a huge mess).
  11. Fire on the ground doesn't seem to damage the player.
  12. Larger portal sizes aren't a big deal unless talking about crazy farms, but I would like to mention they would've helped me when I accidentally made a 4x7 portal in my frustration with liquid mechanics.
  13. Nether portals don't provide any animation to tell you how long until they transport you.
  14. Netherside portals should really try to spawn in an open area (there was one pretty close by to my portal, where I killed a Blaze, but I had to go thru three iron picks finding it).
I would like to mention that I like that I got myself killed attacking an Enderman without armor. It simply wouldn't feel right if they didn't hit like a truck. The Blaze however was a disappointing anticlimax as it didn't hurt me in the slightest cause it missed (and didn't have time to melee me? If Blazes don't melee at all, that's an issue; their melee attack in Minecraft hits really hard and is a big part of their challenge).

Wuzzy

Version 0.65.2 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.65.2 released!

Changes:
  • Fix crash when Creeper tries to explode
  • Fire spread has been greatly nerfed: Fire can no longer spread infinitely wide. The longer it has been spread, the higher the chance it will die out. Fire is still rather destructive, but large forest fires created by using a flint and steel a single time are now a thing of the past.
  • Rain also puts out fire in neighbor blocks
  • Fire can now ignite TNT
  • Added French translation by lrocher (thanks!)

----------------------

@Nebbie:

1: Yes, you can basically move freely while in mid-air, there's no real physics system here. This needs tweaking.
2: Confirmed.
3: Confirmed, but I'm not sure how to fix this in an efficient manner (no lag).
4: Yes, all of these are actually known engine limitations.
5: Mobs are pretty stupid with water right now. There are multiple problems with mobs.
6: Knockback is on the TODO list.
7: This is the first complaint I have heard of this time.
8: Well, due to the random nature of this game, lucky situations like these can happen. It's difficult to consider all possibile situations. Also, I don't think it's neccessarily a bad thing if you sometimes just luck out. This kind of randomness is kind of the point. :)
9: This is intentional. You have to be pretty close to a bed. I don't want players to “teleport” into beds when they're multiple blocks away.
11: Known bug. Armor prevents you from taking direct fire damage. IIRC this is even how it works in MC, the reason you don't notice it that fire also makes you burn, which deals additional damage. Burning is not implemented yet.
12: On the TODO list.
13: Yes.
14: The Nether still needs a lot of work in general. Many of the Nether mechanics are still missing.

Nebbie

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.65.2]

by Nebbie » Post

I think 8 is actually a symptom of issues with mob spawning and despawning. There were only 2 slimes (and a bat) in that cave despite it being massive. The mobs up on the surface in the water seemed to really not want to despawn, as I saw the same two creepers there from one day to the next after spending a while underground. Are mob spawning rules only caring about horizontal distance, perhaps? The cave is very steep as it goes below the shore.

I get preventing bed-teleportation that Minecraft allows, but I would suggest at least allowing use of the bed when the player's legs are touching the side of it, so it's somewhat like how people normally get into bed in real life; I'd expect a 3x2x4 area around it flush with its bottom (so no getting in from underneath) to work for getting in.

So what about the liquid stuff? I must reiterate that was the biggest issue. I'm not great with lavacasting Nether portals, but I would've had a portal something like 10 minutes sooner if liquid flow and bucket rules were like they are in Minecraft. A lot of time was spent trying to get back my water, which I couldn't bucket up thru the flowing water around it.
In Minecraft, if you're really good, you can make a nether portal with a water bucket and a lava pool in under 10 seconds.

Anyways, I'll be testing things in creative for a little bit with a continued focus on how the game's beaten.

Nebbie

by Nebbie » Post

So something really felt wrong about movement when I was jumping around, like part of my horizontal movement was being negated during jumping, but I thought it was just cause of the "floaty" nature of being able to zoom up hillsides.

There seems to be some kind of issue with player placement reverting slightly when crossing from one block to the next, which can negate part of movement. This can be seen most dramatically if you continuously jump in a 2-block-high space while moving; right at .2 above an integer in the direction of movement, movement is lost and you get momentarily stuck.
This appears to be a problem with Minetest itself. I'm guessing that it stores player position block-relative, and the code that swaps which block has some issues?

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Minetest's collisiondetection is a bit broken in 5.2. It's fixed in 5.3-dev though
Last edited by Lone_Wolf on Sun May 10, 2020 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

(Duped post)
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Pxtl
GitHub: Pxtl
IRC: Pxtl
In-game: Pxtl

by Pxtl » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:22
So you're teaching your kids to depend on provably insecure, proprietary spyware for communication? Nice.
Zoom might be more convenient to use, but you have to make a lot of sacrifices to use it …
You've got to pick your battles. I was already asking parents to grapple with 2 bits of OSS, it's hard to argue about network effects when it means your daughter can't see her friends on her birthday.

I know, I know. You are right in everything. About the graphics being “ugly”: I have heard a lot of opinions on these, and they are very split. Some people like them, some people hate them. I guess I need to switch the textures eventually (again :-( ). But in my defense, MineClone 2 is not finished. Not even close. Bugs are mentioned very clearly on the title screen. MCL2 is in alpha stage. This is very important to keep in mind!
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a slight - Mineclone 2 is great! Obviously there's always going to be more to bring it up to the standards of one of the most successful games in history. It did a great job.

As for the graphics, I actually think the MT/MCL2 textures and landscape look better than proper Minecraft - where MT/MCL2 falls short is the shaders, shadows, etc. If you look, most individual block squares are nicely shaded in MC, while they're generally flat-shaded in MT/MCL2. Also, some little animation things - flying animations, swimming animations, head-models looking up and down.

That and the little cosmetic thing that fullscreen is actually non-obvious how to activate, so everybody was playing it windowed.
When we realized that Mumble was a usability disaster, we changed the plan to just use Zoom for the minetest game too.
How about giving feedback directly to the Mumble devs? FOSS devs generally suck at usability, so feedback in this area is very important.
I wouldn't even know where to start on that one - as a developer I hate bugs that are like "it's confusing and parents don't like it". The startup wizard is excellent for power-users, but for example it instructs users to set their mic gain. Each successive Windows version makes the mic gain harder to find. And one challenge was mac users saying "it doesn't work" - I can't pass that kind of info on, that's not much to go on.
On the other hand, Mineclone 2 also lacks an installation process, but in a good way: you just connect to my Minetest world and you'll automatically download Mineclone 2.
Well, there is an installation process. It's called ContentDB.
I was being glib for literary effect. It was the best kind of installer, the kind you don't even notice. "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
It was a hit. I had to furiously type teleport commands as fast as I could to get the kids all into the same area to introduce them and give them the lay of the land:
This suggests Minetest needs a new command for “teleport all players at once”.
For this "tour guide" kind of scenario, definitely. Ditto grant.
Also, apparently you can't teleport somebody out of a minecart in minetest.
Thanks for your bug report. https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/9823
Hah, yeah, I totally should've logged that one.
This was basically the stress-test for MCL2, and MCL2 failed. I'm not surprised at all at this, as the code that handles my mobs sucks and is very clunky.
I wouldn't sweat the performance - our players would've spammed mobs until *whatever* performance limit existed. 9-year-olds. If the mob performance is good enough for survival, then it's good enough.
We have dropped the term “subgame” a long time ago. Now we're just calling it “game”.
Yeah, that caused confusion when I was floating the idea to friends.
"Wait, we're downloading the game minetest and then the game mineclone2? What?"
"No, minetest is the engine, mineclone2 is the game"
"Okay, but I'm looking at the game minetest and it says play minetest in the game..."
"Yeah, Minetest is also a game in mintest. Mineclone is also a game in minetest"
"So we're getting MineTest the engine but to play MineClone2 the game and not MineTest the game"
"Third base!"

"Subgame" seemed to make more sense to my players, so I rolled with that terminology.
The “proper” Windows installation process on any software is quite insane. You ship an additional EXE with the only purpose of installing things. And this EXE just barfs files into your system as it likes to.
Using a Zip file is even worse, I fully agree. But FOSS developers really hate in dealing with anything Windows-related, because it's not fun to work with. As far I know, there is not real standard way to install things. As far I know, there is no official MS-made installer tool, so there's a amount of 3rd-party installer tools and as a dev you have to figure out which to use. Not fun. The Minetest devs could try to figure out how the installer stuff works, but I doubt nobody really wants to do that. I can totally understand.

This installer nonsense is a direct result of Windows' lack of software package management. On GNU/Linux, you usually have a software package manager, and the installation process there is pretty straight-forward. Just select Minetest in your package manager and you'll get it. No need to trust third party EXEs to barf files into the correct system locations.
Oh God, you don't have to tell me. I kept around Visual Studio 2010 just for the Installer Projects - that was the last time it was easy to generate an .MSI, at least if you were willing to use a GUI to do it. MS has completely screwed the pooch on the story for software installation.

It looks like there *is* code for a Windows installer in the MT project, but it hasn't been used since 5.0.1. I took a swing at getting MT to build so I could see if I could resurrect it but I retired my Ubuntu partition a few years back and getting MT to build under Windows was just too much of a PITA.

Nebbie

by Nebbie » Post

In regards to the graphics, coming from completely vanilla Minecraft in 1.16, here are my thoughts:
  • In the overworld, textures look pretty good except certain textures like grass sides, zombies, and sheep fluff, which are too noisy and dark, giving a very grimy feel. I'd say most everything else looks fine. Andesite might be a little too blue, tho.
  • Ender Pearls are unrecognizable and gross. They remind me both of novelty dice and "meat grapes". Relatedly, while I hate Minecraft's color palette for End Portals (the yellow color is just wrong next to the greens, it really should be a dark purple), I must say that it has very good Eye of Ender textures and a much better look to the portal plane.
  • The End itself feels again too grimy. It's a real shame because in my opinion it looks pretty good in Minecraft.
  • Netherrack weirdly has the opposite problem. It looks cartoonish in a bad way and so the Nether feels like some kind of red funhouse. I must point out it still looks 10x better than the utter rotten trashpile that is Netherrack in 1.11 Minecraft, it's just that in 1.14 and later, Netherrack has an amazing texture that looks much better than MineClone 2's.
  • Particle effects are important. Torches with no flame just look wrong. Blaze fireballs with no fire look even more wrong.
  • Animations are also pretty important. Blazes in Minecraft look amazing. Blazes in MineClone 2 look comical (I know you're working on it).
Last edited by Nebbie on Mon May 11, 2020 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

Walker

by Walker » Post

Nebbie wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 02:28
In regards to the graphics, coming from completely vanilla Minecraft in 1.16, here are my thoughts:
  • [...]
  • Particle effects are important. Torches with no flame just look wrong. [...]
  • [...]
+1

i hope you add particle to furnance too ^^

and i hope someone add particle for both also to MTG :)

Nebbie

by Nebbie » Post

So about the mob code, I'm looking at trying to implement mob burning, and I noticed this pattern repeated three times (water, lava, fire):

if self.water_damage > 0
	and nodef.groups.water then

if self.water_damage ~= 0 then
Since the damage must be greater than 0 to enter the then, isn't the check there that it's not 0 redundant?

WarHawk

by WarHawk » Post

iron golems dont seem to take fall damage, is that a bug or intended?
also a friend would like to know if he can change the mob drop for a mob.
for example making endermen drop diamonds as well as enderpearls

LMD
GitHub: appgurueu
IRC: appguru[eu]
In-game: LMD

by LMD » Post

where MT/MCL2 falls short is the shaders, shadows, etc
This is, again, an engine-side limitation. But I already have implemented a proof-of-concept second rendering stage, which should allow for effects like ambient occlusion or focus blur. I'll probably be able to get this polished until 5.3 :D
My stuff: Projects - Mods - Website

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

Pxtl wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 01:47
"So we're getting MineTest the engine but to play MineClone2 the game and not MineTest the game"
"Third base!"

"Subgame" seemed to make more sense to my players, so I rolled with that terminology.
It sure is confusing, which is why me and many others initially called MineClone 2 a mod or mod pack. Because technically it's a mod pack, but practically it's a game. Now if you want to clear it up with your players, it's easy: "Minetest Game" is a sample game made by de official developers of the Minetest game engine - hence the name, to be easily recognizable. It's an official demo of the engine's capability. :)

Pxtl
GitHub: Pxtl
IRC: Pxtl
In-game: Pxtl

by Pxtl » Post

LMD wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 08:30
where MT/MCL2 falls short is the shaders, shadows, etc
This is, again, an engine-side limitation. But I already have implemented a proof-of-concept second rendering stage, which should allow for effects like ambient occlusion or focus blur. I'll probably be able to get this polished until 5.3 :D
Of course. I'd expect the game to be focused on gameplay and art assets, the engine to provide the shaders to make them look good. I don't follow graphics tech much, but from googling screenshots of what "ambient occlusion" provides, that looks like the big visual difference that jumps out at me when I see MT-based games vs Minecraft.

Nebbie

by Nebbie » Post

Actually, another issue with the code handling mobs being damaged by what they're standing in: The three conditions check two things at once each, which means that information about the node isn't used to stop the chain early.
Consider the following cases:
Spoiler
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water (normal), in air (also normal) (6 checks!)
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water, in lava (3 checks)
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water, in fire (common) (5 checks)
Mob vulnerable to everything (Enderman) in air (which it will almost always be) (7 checks, worst case!)
Mob vulnerable to everything in water (Enderman very rarely) (2 checks, best case)
Mob vulnerable to water (Blaze etc.), in air (5 checks)
Unless there's something I'm missing about the performance characteristics of lua in relation to thens, I believe the structure should be to first iterate thru the three damage types on the node, and then when it does have the damage type, check the mob's vulnerability to it.
Code:
Spoiler

-- water damage
	if nodef.groups.water then
		if self.water_damage > 0 then

self.health = self.health - self.water_damage

effect(pos, 5, "tnt_smoke.png", nil, nil, 1, nil)

if check_for_death(self, "water", {type = "environment",
					pos = pos, node = self.standing_in}) then
				return true
			end
		end

-- lava damage
	elseif nodef.groups.lava then
		if self.lava_damage > 0 then

self.health = self.health - self.lava_damage

effect(pos, 5, "fire_basic_flame.png", nil, nil, 1, nil)

if check_for_death(self, "lava", {type = "environment",
				return true
			end
		end

-- fire damage
	elseif nodef.groups.fire then
		if self.fire_damage > 0 then

self.health = self.health - self.fire_damage

effect(pos, 5, "fire_basic_flame.png", nil, nil, 1, nil)

if check_for_death(self, "fire", {type = "environment",
				return true
			end
		end
	-- damage_per_second node check
	elseif nodef.damage_per_second ~= 0 then

self.health = self.health - nodef.damage_per_second

effect(pos, 5, "tnt_smoke.png")

if check_for_death(self, "dps", {type = "environment",
			return true
		end
	end
This would lead to the following cases:
Spoiler
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water (normal), in air (also normal) (4 checks, among worst cases but not bad)
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water, in fire (common) (4 checks)
Mob vulnerable to everything (Enderman) in air (which it will almost always be) (4 checks)
Mob vulnerable to everything in water (Enderman very rarely) (2 checks, still best case)
Mob vulnerable to water (Blaze etc.), in air (4 checks)
Assuming this does yield a performance gain (it should, since according to luac -l -p, it's the same number of instructions, and reasoning shows it should lead to faster bailouts for many cases), it could add up for large amounts of mobs. It could also be further optimized by checking fire, then lava, then water, which would yield this:
Spoiler
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water (normal), in air (also normal) (4 checks)
Mob vulnerable to fire/lava, not water, in fire (common) (2 checks, now best case)
Mob vulnerable to everything (Enderman) in air (which it will almost always be) (4 checks)
Mob vulnerable to everything in water (Enderman very rarely) (4 checks)
Mob vulnerable to water (Blaze etc.), in air (4 checks)
Last edited by Nebbie on Mon May 11, 2020 21:17, edited 2 times in total.