[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

j0j0n4th4n

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.77.0]

by j0j0n4th4n » Post

Minecraft is very much a game full of arcane mechanics and odd discoveries, and always has been really, even down to how early versions of the game had NO craft guide and NO item/block names visible in the inventory. Therefore Minecraft clones should replicate that. That's kind of annoying to say as we might disagree with the original game's design, but really, it just proves the point again that clones are not as good as creating something original.
I'm not so sure about that. Yes, Minecraft is a game about discovery and this is pretty much how it goes from the moment the player spawn into the world, there is nothing saying you should punch a tree and make wooden tools (at least back in the day), the player is suppose to figure that out on their own, in this regard I think a clone does need to follow the same design spirit.

Nonethless, there is a considerable difference between figuring out punching a tree and healing zombies or going to the Nether, Minecraft design philosophy rely on intuitiveness to discover gameplay and that is where it falls flat, because the more complex the game get the less intuitive it gets; for example, the comparator is impossible to figure out without external help. Mineclone is a 'clone' but it is also a different game and it can add it's own structures and gameplay choices to follow the spirit of the game and not a 1 to 1 copy.

The Igloo is too convoluted, the player has to discover and solve has a ice puzzle before even get to see the villager and the zombie but, it is an building design to teach a mechanic that is the point I was trying to make, I'm certain Wuzzy can design a better structure, more intuitive to teach players they can put a Pumpkin over Snow to make a golem and encourage them to to the same for other nodes and see what happen, the problem I see is the golems and the wither follow slightly different logic and that may require one building for each, if he decide to follow this type of tutorial.
cdb_894a100ddd76

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

j0j0n4th4n wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:15
Mineclone is a 'clone' but it is also a different game and it can add it's own structures and gameplay choices to follow the spirit of the game and not a 1 to 1 copy.
I disagree. MineClone is mostly a crutch to help transition Minecraft players, even if it is one of the most mature games for the engine with more features than MTG. The goal should be to build better games than either of those games, which is what Wuzzy is trying to do. Once you start deciding to depart from it into your own decisions, it stops being a clone and it starts being "alternate Minecraft". You are free to fork MineClone and call it MineOwnGame or something, but being a clone is the nature of the project.
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

corasTenthTry
GitHub: corarona
IRC: cora
In-game: cora

by corasTenthTry » Post

I'd like to point out again, since there's this persistent myth that once you say clone you're good, that too closely copying another game can very well be seen as a copyright violation. Check out Tetris Holding LLC. v. Xio Interactive Inc.

So aside from the fact that we might feel some stuff in minecraft could be done better there is additional worth in doing things not exactly like mc.

This is going to become more important with all the ms-refugees coming in right now.

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

Midnight Sapphire wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 06:10
is there a mod that adds a lead
I don't think there is, sorry

56independent_actual
IRC: independent56
In-game: 56independent

by 56independent_actual » Post

Hi. I'm mostly a modded Minetest player, so i've been struggling with building alternatives to pipeworks. So far i have discovered horizontal and downwards item transport, but i would like to build upwards item transport. So far, there is an external mod which adds bubble towers, but i would like to keep as vanilla as possible.

Is it possible at all to load carts with items? Are carts with chests coming anytime soon?
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

The existing bubble columns mod uses a few ABMs with interval 0.01 iirc (or 0.1 not sure - both bad lol) on. ...water sources

If you want to use abms for anything else you probably dont want to use that ^^

The bubcols in mcl5 have fixed that though I think

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

As for chest carts (and boats) yeah I its coming soonish if it works out the way I'm thinking

56independent_actual

corasTenthTry wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 18:34
As for chest carts (and boats) yeah I its coming soonish if it works out the way I'm thinking
Yay! Do you load them using hoppers? Any direction?

Chest-carts will be a game changer to automation areas.

Do i use the Minecraft wiki for Mineclone concepts? Where is the mineclone documentation? Does it aim to use the same as Minecraft?
Warnig: Al my laguage ekscept English is bad, includig Hungarian (magyàränoлиски), Spanish (esпagnyoл), and Russian (рÿсскïанöл).

Jaime Alterado

Why is this happening?

by Jaime Alterado » Post

Hola, he notado que la tierra de cultivo se comporta de manera extraña, creo que no es nada importante, pero aun así quiero preguntar.

Google Translate:
Hello, I've noticed that the farmland behaves strangely, I think it's nothing major, but still want to ask.

En esta primera imagen la tierra de cultivo parece comportarse como si fuera un bloque de cristal (esto mirado desde abajo) y lo que entiendo es que esos bloques (los de abajo) se están dibujando todo el tiempo. Esta es la versión 5.6.0 del motor junto a la última versión del juego (desde ContentDB).

Google Translate:
In this first image the farmland seems to behave as if it were a glass block (this seen from below) and what I understand is that those blocks (the ones below) are being drawn all the time. This is version 5.6.0 of the engine along with the latest version of the game (from ContentDB).

En esta segunda imagen los bloques de abajo no se dibujan pero ahora los de tierra de cultivo sí. Esta es la versión 5.5.0 del motor.

Google Translate:
In this second image the blocks below are not drawn but now the farmland ones are. This is version 5.5.0 of the engine.

Mis dudas son las siguientes:
  • ¿Esto es algo del juego o del motor?
  • ¿Significa algún problema de rendimiento con grandes extensiones de cultivo?
  • ¿Por qué la tierra mojada deja de estarlo aun teniendo agua cerca?
Google Translate:
My doubts are the following:
  • Is this something in the game or in the engine?
  • Does it mean some yield problem with large areas of cultivation?
  • Why does the land stop being wet even when there is water nearby?
Gracias. Thank you. ^_^

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

56independent_actual wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 18:38
corasTenthTry wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 18:34
Yay! Do you load them using hoppers? Any direction?

Chest-carts will be a game changer to automation areas.

Do i use the Minecraft wiki for Mineclone concepts? Where is the mineclone documentation? Does it aim to use the same as Minecraft?
In theory yes but we need to be careful not to be too much of a mc ripoff i suppose otherwise chances seem good we'll get in trouble with ms eventually.

Not exactly sure about any details re/ chest carts rn. I haven't actually worked on it yet, just have some ideas how to make it work.

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

Just an fyi for everyone: minetest 5.6 will not be supported by mineclone2 for the time being - it introduces a "bug fix" which look like it will result in a huge number of crashes in mcl2; we will have to spend a lot of time going through a lot of code to make sure.

Sadly minetest seems to become more and more unpredictable with each new release :/ maybe it's for the best if we stay at mt 5.5.1 for now.

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
That's a bit like minetest feels after 3 releases with such "hidden" breaking changes.

Extra points if you know where the quote is from

56independent_actual

corasTenthTry wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 20:28
"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"
That's a bit like minetest feels after 3 releases with such "hidden" breaking changes.

I know where! It's alice in wonderland, a book all British people have inside their bookcases.

PrairieWind
GitHub: PrairieAstronomer
IRC: PrairieWind
In-game: PrairieWind

by PrairieWind » Post

corasTenthTry wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 20:28

Never read the book, but I know about some things, Alice and Queen obviously sound like characters from Alice in Wonderland, as 56independent has already pointed out.

Midnight Sapphire

by Midnight Sapphire » Post

What is the best y lvl to find ancient debris

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

Sat Aug 06, 2022 20:30
I know where! It's alice in wonderland, a book all British people have inside their bookcases.
Through the looking glass actually :P but good to see some educated people around hehe.

corasTenthTry

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.78.0]

by corasTenthTry » Post

0.78 - The beacons update

Minetest 5.6 is not officially supported yet! There is an unknown number of crashes introduced by a certain bugfix. The most obvious ones are fixed but an unknown number remains.

While mcl2 will probably work fine with minetest 5.6 in singleplayer we advise against running it on a server with minetest 5.6 at this point.
  • debug hud (kay27,cora)
  • mob improvements
    • group spawning for all mobs (cora)
    • mc like mob cap (cora)
    • wolves attack sheep (cora)
    • llamas spit in retaliation (cora)
    • animals don't accept more food than they need anymore (SumianVoice)
    • parrots imitate nearby mobs (cora)
  • Slimeblock Piston launchers (MysticTempest)
  • Tropical Fish (cora)
  • Beacons (chmodsayshello)
  • Raw Ores (PrarieWind, NO11)
  • Items float on water (SumianVoice)
  • Performance:
    • Fixed some globalsteps that were taking unusually long for nothing (cora)
    • Dripping droplets use particles instead of entities now (cora)
  • Slabs block magma damage (SumianVoice)
  • Mangrove swamps (thunder1035, cora)
  • Biome specific weather (cora)
  • Valleys mapgen improvements:
    • River water is transparent now (cora)
    • Boats don't sink in river water (cora)
  • Shipwreck loot nerfed (cora)
  • Pillager outposts (PrarieWind,RandomLegoBrick)
  • Ruined portals are rarer now (cora)
  • Structure foundations look less cubic (cora)
  • Boats can get destroyed by fire and Lava (opfromthestart)
  • Heads can be rotated in 16 directions (ilikeprogrammar)
  • Players can't glitch through ice (and other non-opaque nodes) by swimming anymore (opfromthestart)
  • As always lots of small fixes

Long list:
Spoiler
'Fix villagers positional sounds' (#2556)
'Enable shadows and waving liquids when supported (5.6)' (#2555)
'[heads] heads may now be placed on ceilings, upside down' (#2558)
'Fix items floating into the air under rare circumstances' (#2553)
'Swimming collides with ice properly (clean version of #2536)' (#2551)
'Parrot fixes' (#2549)
'Some structures fixes' (#2541)
'[heads] refactor, delete unnecessary textures and implement 16 direction head nodes' (#2550)
'Fix dispenser and dropper crash (in 5.4)' (#2544)
'boats are removed upon being set on fire (#2529)' (#2540)
'Fix some warnings' (#2539)
'Fixed remaining get_sky calls (#2538)' (#2542)
'Pillager Outpost' (#2535)
'fix deprecated player:get_sky (#2528)' (#2534)
'Light Level and Texture Clip Warning Fixes' (#2527)
'Snow layers and blocks drop nothing by hand' (#2532)
'[5.6] safely handle entities involving set_hp' (#2526)
'Nerf shipwreck loot' (#2519)
'add dependency for mcl_weather to mcl_burning to hopefully avoid crashes' (#2516)
'Add mangrove swamps' (#2503)
'Biome specific weather' (#2505)
'beacon optimisations' (#2512)
'Make boats unsinkable in river water' (#2510)
'beacons' (#2483)
'Make riverwater transparent' (#2508)
'Fix Water in Nether Using Fish Buckets' (#2506)
'Fix crash when using /spawnstruct in singlenode mg' (#2502)
'Items float when in water / liquids and other changes' (#2481)
'Walkover mod: fix walkover being triggered even when standing far above the block' (#2496)
'Fix long globalstep for inactive shields' (#2489)
'Fix globalstep in mcl_hunger taking a long time' (#2491)
'Added raw ores to iron and gold ore drops' (#2490)
'Withering Heights Advancement' (#2492)
'Add tropical fish' (#2485)
'Fix mcl_sprint globalstep taking way too long' (#2487)
'Next mobs-redo batch' (#2480)
'mcl_dripping: Fix wrong sound position' (#2471)
'Add shadow under grass texture like on paths' (#2472)
'Implement slimeblock piston launchers:' (#2474)
'Never show nitwit trading formspec' (#2466)
'Add debug hud' (#2459)
'no suffocation damage when swimming under a roof' (#2451)
'Change dripping entities to particles' (#2457)
'Improve crying obsidian visuals once more' (#2454)
'Fix nether dust particles using wrong setting' (#2449)
'Several mob spawning and mob api fixes' (#2452)
'Make parrots imitate nearby mobs by replaying their sounds with higher pitch' (#2453)
Last edited by corasTenthTry on Sat Aug 13, 2022 04:13, edited 2 times in total.

Midnight Sapphire

is there a way to make a iron gollum farm in survival

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

Midnight Sapphire wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 03:32
is there a way to make a iron gollum farm in survival
No not that i'm aware - unless you have a secret source of iron blocks, then you can maybe spawn them with dispensers or something. But I suppose that would defeat the purpose hehe.

I'm planning on implementing the villagers summoning them some time though.

Midnight Sapphire

Message Deleted please ignore
Last edited by Midnight Sapphire on Sat Aug 13, 2022 04:25, edited 1 time in total.

corasTenthTry

by corasTenthTry » Post

Players crafting spawneggs is probably not a good idea for multiplayer hehe.

In singleplayer you can give yourself a mob egg by issuing /grantme give and then /giveme mobs_mc:iron_golem you'll need the maphack privilege to put an egg into a spawner ( /grantme maphack ).

Or you just use creative mode and get the egg and spawner from there. You can switch to creative mode in game using /gamemode creative.

Midnight Sapphire

any plans on adding a lead its a vanila feature in minecraft

Blockhead
GitHub: Montandalar
IRC: Blockhead256
In-game: Blockhead Blockhead256

by Blockhead » Post

Midnight Sapphire wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 04:50
It's unfortunately not something we can easily do with Minetest's API at this point. I posted a thread about this kind of feature a while back and it didn't get any attention :( - Ropes and other catenary curves
/˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳]_[˳˳_˳˳\ Advtrains enthusiast | My map: Noah's Railyard | My Content on ContentDB ✝️♂

56independent_actual

Midnight Sapphire wrote:
If you want lead, the Technic mod adds lead among many other metals.

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:12
Midnight Sapphire wrote:
If you want lead, the Technic mod adds lead among many other metals.
The metal would be easy to add. This is about the lead in Minecraft - "the item used for leashing and leading mobs."