[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

soulstenance
GitHub: soulstenance
In-game: soulstenance

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.68.0]

by soulstenance » Post

Not exactly. This is how the combination of limits and searching the altitude works. What was the difference of portal altitudes? I noticed the same many times but it was always at least 64 by axis y which isn't so good but acceptable.
The original portal was at -161, -42, 56. The portal I get sent to upon my return is at -151, 6, 56. Does that answer your question?

goats

by goats » Post

@kay27

Thanks for the particular and detailed explanation, although i only meant to clarify and indicate that i am really quite sure that the portal search function is not the issue. :)

@soulstenance Honestly i think music playing through MT is atrocious at the least, seeming to require inordinate amounts of processing power. I avoid it at all costs. Regardless, as to environmental or incidental music changes, the MT engine has no facility for this, and trying to write and run detection for triggers in lua would almost certainly be awful and laggy. I wish all the audio handling were different*, but it isn't, and the core devs have plenty to keep them occupied.

*You know, like when a zombie 20 meters away behind solid rock sounds like some pervert hanging over your shoulder. :D :D

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

@goats
That is unfortunate that lua can't effectively handle music. I'm currently just playing the full Minecraft soundtrack with my music player and it brings me enough nostalgia that I forget I'm not playing Minecraft. So it works. 😁

And yes, the mob sounds are very inaccurate with distance and frankly, terrifying, lol.

goats

by goats » Post

@soulstenance

Well, it isn't so much about handling music, but events in general, and i am thinking that engine features with API would be better for that. Part of the problem with the engine is... the other engine it depends on, Irrlicht. I mean, lua doesn't play the music and sounds anyway. I'm sure one could constantly detect biome and what objects are near the player, if they are enemy objects (somehow), etc. Some of this obviously happens already, just not very nicely.

Note that i am no expert, just this is what i have picked up over time. There are people with more nuanced and informed explanations, and who would probably tell me where i am totes wrong about something or other.

(But literally i can't even use the jukebox in mcl2, it freezes the game, but i can listen to music on an external media player at a higher bitrate...)

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

goats wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 19:55
(But literally i can't even use the jukebox in mcl2, it freezes the game, but i can listen to music on an external media player at a higher bitrate...)
That sounds terrible!

goats

by goats » Post

soulstenance wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 03:38
That sounds terrible!
People with newer, better machines probably wouldn't notice. (And playing on an appliance like a phone is no substitute for me, even if maybe the game might run better.)

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

Appliance? Makes it sound like you're going to fire up the game on your microwave or something. 😅

kay27
GitHub: kay27

by kay27 » Post

Somebody please help flying machine to choose the direction,
https://youtu.be/iznWm0bTy0g
:)

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

kay27 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 06:42
> Fall damage into water should be fully negated regardless of fall distance or water depth. Not sure if there's currently any reduction in damage but to be in line with Minecraft this should be 100% reduction.
Could you please clarify? 100% reduction even if you fall on the single-node water source? Next, if you fall not on the source itself but on the water flowing by the solid block? And what if the flow isn't too deep?
Some posts ago here was the same report that the water behaves wrong on fallings. I like jumping in the water too but as it is ofter rather deep pools I didn't see any probs.
Ok, I just tested it in Minecraft and the damage reduction is 100% even on the last flowing (8th) non-source water block. And yes, this is an important mechanic bit that a lot of Minecraft players care about, as it helps navigating rough terrains whenever you need speed or you have to escape immediate danger.
kay27 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 06:42
> Music
If i'd know what triggers the music in Minecraft...
The Minecraft wiki has some nice details about the music's mechanic.

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

kay27 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 23:05
Somebody please help flying machine to choose the direction,
https://youtu.be/iznWm0bTy0g
:)
What is happening?! 😅

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

Nicu wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 02:29
Ok, I just tested it in Minecraft and the damage reduction is 100% even on the last flowing (8th) non-source water block. And yes, this is an important mechanic bit that a lot of Minecraft players care about, as it helps navigating rough terrains whenever you need speed or you have to escape immediate danger.
Thanks for testing that out! Maybe it's just me but I've also noticed in Mineclone that water has way too much flowing power. You said 8 in Minecraft, but here seeing entire mountainsides covered by water from one source block is commonplace. Even when reaching the bottom it will often flow ON TOP of the water blocks at the bottom for a ways. (This actually sinks your boat if you hit it.)

kay27

by kay27 » Post

Nicu wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 02:29
I explored minetest client/server sources and, seems, no way to decrease falling damage in water for now :(
Water has minimum liquid_viscosity level 1, that's why it almost doesn't slow down the falling.
Lava has viscosity 7. I set '5' to water - it was odd and doesn't remove the damage significantly, just decreases a little.
The only function 100% called is on_dieplayer(player, reason) where we can get player's position, check if there is a water, and if yes - try to make the player alive overriding client/on_death function... But player must die for that, not just damaged... Maybe I missed a something, I plan to check it twice.

There is an issue in Minetest issue tracker, https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3018 not about it, just related. Maybe somebody has some time to open one more issue there? :)

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

kay27 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 18:35
I explored minetest client/server sources and, seems, no way to decrease falling damage in water for now :(
Water has minimum liquid_viscosity level 1, that's why it almost doesn't slow down the falling.
Lava has viscosity 7. I set '5' to water - it was odd and doesn't remove the damage significantly, just decreases a little.
The only function 100% called is on_dieplayer(player, reason) where we can get player's position, check if there is a water, and if yes - try to make the player alive overriding client/on_death function... But player must die for that, not just damaged... Maybe I missed a something, I plan to check it twice.

There is an issue in Minetest issue tracker, https://github.com/minetest/minetest/issues/3018 not about it, just related. Maybe somebody has some time to open one more issue there? :)
Interesting so it seems to be an engine limitation? When I actually tried this in vanilla Minetest I jumped from an insane height (so high that the water wasn't even rendered till after I jumped) that would have guaranteed death on solid ground. However I didn't die because it was too shallow or because I sunk down and hit the ground, I died immediately on impact with the water. Because of this I don't think adjusting viscosity is the right approach (and who wants to swim through lava-like water). Maybe we need to push this suggestion upstream and see if something happens there.

Your other solution is interesting but would this cause other issues? What about player inventory? Do you drop it and have to pick it up again if resurrected? What if you're only close to water when you die? Or what if another factor kills you at the moment as you hit the water? So many questions. It may be a workaround but an upstream fix would be better.

soulstenance

by soulstenance » Post

kay27

by kay27 » Post

soulstenance wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 19:54
What about player inventory?
It is already considered by MineClone2.

> What if you're only close to water when you die? Or what if another factor kills you at the moment as you hit the water?
There is the reason passing into the function so maybe won't be a problem.

> an upstream fix would be better.
Certainly. Thank you for opening the issue.
goats wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 15:02
Probably no Nether weather for me, thanks, not with the way things are going on my system these days. :D
@goats I wonder how your system endures the snow? I can decrease the number of ashes to the number of snowflakes, or remove it back which I wouldn't like to do, but, seems, no way just to get FPS counter in Lua and make a dynamic decision according the system performance...

bzt

by bzt » Post

Dear @Wuzzy and @kay27!

My boy had a birthday, and one of his surprise was an updated MCL2 with all the new features, along with @Sokomine's ship mod. He was so happy that he actually screamed in excitement! I wish you could have heard that! MCL2 made him forgot about his cake, and that's something :-) You really have made his day unforgettable!

I just wanted you to know how much your work is appreciated! Maybe it's not said enough, so big big thanks to all of you!
bzt

duckgo
In-game: duckgo

by duckgo » Post

this really was a great job, very good to see the development of the game going steady :) .. i look forward to seeing the added experience in the future, the enchantment table and the great ender dragon, it will be incredible, thanks to everyone for their dedication.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

duckgo wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 19:21
this really was a great job, very good to see the development of the game going steady :) .. i look forward to seeing the added experience in the future, the enchantment table and the great ender dragon, it will be incredible, thanks to everyone for their dedication.
... AND Villages and Villagers. ;)
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

@bzt, thanks for sharing that! :) We're so focused on what we want next, or fixed/improved, that sometimes we forget to step back a little and appreciate the whole thing for what it is. This is a great game already, and the fact that it's still getting meaningful updates is exciting.

Perhaps my first itch would be to have the existing game mechanics (spawning, movement) refined just enough so we can make reliable mob farms. Thankfully, friendly mobs are plentiful, and getting the main resources is not hard once you learn the basics. It will be awesome to have, at some point, experience, enchanting and everything else. But that takes a lot of work and some things rely on engine changes. Hopefully we'll see those too in a not too distant future. :)

duckgo
In-game: duckgo

by duckgo » Post

yes, Villages and Villagers too: D

goats

by goats » Post

kay27 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 21:31
@goats I wonder how your system endures the snow?
Snow or rain is fine, it's just that the Nether is already horrific when new mapblocks are loading. Thinking about it again, i doubt the Nether weather would cause additional noticeable wait times. I might drop some additional frames when there is a lot of magma cubes all over the place, but i generally do not have this problem in overworld (other than the usual low but tolerable-for-me framerate).

If it was all that bad i would disable weather entirely or just skip the game. Open source in general no longer makes much noise about support for older or weaker hardware, i can hardly expect people programming games in Lua to account for such. :) Besides, the vast majority are playing on phones now, which are essentially optimized to run games.

Nicu

by Nicu » Post

Optimized? :) I have an ASUS Zenfone Selfie with 2 quad-core CPUs and 3GB RAM and Minetest runs reasonably well (although really cumbersome to control on a screen), but MineClone2 takes "forever" to start a world - I waited for about 20 minutes and it reached "Media... 59%". Obviously, that's not practical, especially when it drains the battery.

By the way, what are your PC's specifications? Mine is doing well with a Core i5-4690K and 16GB DDR3, with Intel HD Graphics 4600.

--
P.S. Wow, MC2 managed to start the world after about 35 minutes, and it's completely dark outside. FPS: 13-15. :)) Purely by chance, for the first time ever since I started playing MC2, I got spawned on an elevated single-block where no mob could reach me. So I waited until daylight hit, and then... there were 2 creepers and a zombie at the bottom of my position. =)) The zombie died, then the creepers blew themselves up, so I could climb down that block safely and pick up the dropped blocks of dirt and cobblestone left behind the creepers' explosion.

But then I was trapped in a relatively small area surrounded by super high mountains that I had no way to climb. So before the next nightfall I managed to get some wood (thankfully there were trees) and I started digging up the mountain walls. I got myself some coal as well, so by the time the second night hit, I already had a shelter about 7-8 blocks up on the side of the mountain. Great success for my second day. :P Oh, brother... playing on a phone is not easy. So I exited to the menu and then tried to rejoin the game, to see if the first startup was actually that slow because of the world creation. Indeed, it only took around 2 minutes to get back from the menu inside my world. I'd still argue that it's super slow, considering all of these took me about 40% of my battery. :P Just for kicks, I quit the game to the OS, then went back in and the game opened in about 90 seconds.

Not good, not completely awful, but at least the game plays fairly well, with low FPS, but on a mobile phone you can barely do stuff anyway, so high-speed and precision are not hindered by the low FPS. :)

goats

by goats » Post

intel mobile 4, core 2 duo T3400, 3gb ram lol

Yeah i tried MCL2 on phone, never had before. Gave up on the loading time. Why do the vast majority play MT games on phone then? o0

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Wow, 35min loading time is really bad. Can you try removing mods/ITEMS/mcl_jukebox and see how long the loading takes again?

Grigor

by Grigor » Post

Hi all. I’ve been playing Mineclone2 for months now, and find it a much more compelling, involving game than plain old Minetest. Huge thanks to Wuzzy and the team for making it all happen.
I’ve often read people’s wish lists for MC2 in this topic, so I thought I’d share what I’ve done with mine in case it sparks some ideas elsewhere. Worth noting I’ve never played Minecraft, so I'm not sure which of these changes might clash with a strict clone of that game. Here’s what I’ve done:

• Tweaked mapgen for fewer above ground waterfalls / lava falls – these rarely look right when they appear, flowing over trees etc. (trees should burn under lava also)
• Fewer animals spawning – felt the landscape got overrun with beasts way too quickly.
• Removed moon phases – these make no sense astronomically. Used realistic sun and moon .PNG textures instead.
• Consistent light levels in rain & storms, where before these caused it to get LIGHTER at night. Also tweaked weather (rain / snow) to stop above 67m (cloud level)
• Removed eating animation (there’s a setting) and the FOV change while sprinting (thought it an unnecessary distraction)
• Raised the amount of food consumed while digging, sprinting, etc, to better match amount of food acquired.
• Altered some textures – softened some greens in the grass palette and mossy cobble – softened yellow clay to better match surrounds – replaced obsidian with default from Minetest. Replaced concrete texture with silver sand / sandstone textures from Minetest. (concrete usually has some surface imperfections)
• Made some slime cube textures that look scarier, more like deep-sea creatures. Why not?
• Made the boat slower to match oar animation (also more time to take in the scenery!)
• Removed the hand wield item – it’s nice to have a clean view of the landscape when you’re not carrying anything.
• Added & modified walking_light mod (originally by Echo?) for easier cave exploration (wielded torch lights the area)
• Added Diamonds to all chests containing loot (weight=3 or 5 depending – more for desert temples & igloos, fewer for dungeons & tunnels. Rare chance of diamond armour items in Desert Temple) – more motivation to investigate these places. It sucks to go to all that trouble for another bread roll or some... rotted flesh!
• Made Ender Chest, Shulker Boxes and Craft table instant pick-up (dig_immediate=3). I mean, you’ve built the thing, there’s no need to chop it to pieces just to pick it up and carry it with you.
• Probably cheating, but made Ender Chest an item that can be picked up rather than destroying it each time.
• Also cheating: stopped the Endermen from rearranging the landscape, because it annoyed the crap out of me.

This is running Minetest 5.3.0 on Windows 10, Mineclone2 0.67.2.
Like I said, I’m posting this hoping it might stimulate some thoughts and ideas.