[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

ancientmariner
In-game: ancientmariner

[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

by ancientmariner » Post

MineClone2 is a survival sandbox game. Survive, gather, hunt, build, explore, and do much more.
This goal of this project is to create a great game based on Minecraft but with improvements.

https://git.minetest.land/MineClone2/Mi ... 0.86.2.zip
Development infos: Image
Spoiler
More screenshots: MineClone 2 Gallery
Gameplay
Current core gameplay of MineClone2:
  • Open-ended gameplay without goals
  • Survive: Gather resources in the day, survive hunger and hordes of monsters in the dark
  • Mine for ores and other treasures.
  • Build what you want, one block at a time. There are hundreds of decorative blocks and objects
  • Craft better tools, items or blocks to progress
  • Fight monsters for experience points
  • Enchant your tools with an enchanting table by spending experience
  • Explore the various biomes of the Overworld, or build a portal to the Nether
  • Farming: Till the ground and grow your own crops
  • Animals: Many different animals roam the world and interact with it. Feed, breed or slaughter them (you monster!)
  • Build a railway system and have fun with minecarts
  • Build complex machines and automate some processes with redstone circuits
  • In Creative Mode you can build almost anything without limits
Bonus features
MineClone2 has the following major differences from Minecraft 1.12:
  • Natively moddable thanks to Minetest's powerful Lua API
  • Built-in Help with entries about all the items
  • Height limit increased to ca. +30900
  • More stairs, slabs and fences
  • River water (in valleys mapgen only)
Scope
The main goal is to create a fun sandbox game which happens to be very similar to Minecraft.

More information (and a “getting started guide”) in the README file.
Spoiler
Mod list and credits:
MineClone2 originally started by Wuzzy in 2017. Wuzzy has left the project since, and it is continued by other people.

MineClone2 would not be possible without the mods from the Minetest forums. This game would probably have been much harder without their hard work. I'm also in very deep debt for the textures. Without the hard work of the texture pack makers in the Minecraft community, this game might not have even got started. Huge thanks go to daredevils for creating MineClone. Kudos to Jordach for the jukebox music compilation from Big Freaking Dig.
Thanks for the absolutely insane people who spend days after days in writing pages for the Minecraft Wiki with absurd attention to detail. :D

The full list of mods is very long, so here's a link to the mods directory of the repository:
https://git.minetest.land/MineClone2/Mi ... aster/mods

Mods starting with “mcl_” are mods specifically made/modified for MineClone2.

Textures: Most of them are based on Pixel Perfection by XSSheep and contributors. See README.md for details.
Sounds from Minetest Game (CC BY-SA 3.0) and other sources
Music from Big Freaking Dig (GPLv3)
Detailed credits can be seen in the README.md file: https://git.minetest.land/MineClone2/Mi ... /README.md
Happy mining!
Last edited by ancientmariner on Sun Dec 31, 2023 02:09, edited 288 times in total.

GreenXenith
GitHub: GreenXenith

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.1.1]

by GreenXenith » Post

:D Amazing! +20! I don't even play MC all that much, but I'd like to compile a list of things to change.
Last edited by GreenXenith on Fri Jun 12, 2020 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube | Mods | Patreon | Minetest Discord @greenxenith

You should not be able to read this message.

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Here is a list of some things to change/fix:
-torches need to be animated
-inventory armor pic needs to be fixed (player preview breaks)
-need to be able to punch items to pick up, not just stand close to
-cacti need to hurt
-need to access player inven in creative (in creative, there is not player preview or armor slots or 2x2 grid)
-search realtime (so no need for enter like in minecraft, player type 'C', list of things shortened to things start w/ 'C', add an 'A', shorten down to things start with 'Ca', etc...)
-real scroll bar in inven
-creeper texture fix (no face, lop sided?)
-creeper animation
-better arrow mod
-fix spider texture (4 or 8 eyes, not 2...)
-eat cake (simulate by on_punch change the model and set_hp)
-lever,button,solar,piston,command blocks, pressure plates, and other redstone stuff should be included in redstone tab
-ender pearl
-fix lever model and rotation (is not like MC and is not floor/celing mountable atm)
-heads and pumpkins wearable
-fix flying villages (villages floating mid-air)
-fix burning villages (i come to village and building burns down. Lava in blacksmith maybe? also, fire spread is EXTREMLY fast...)
-villagers?
-fix boat texture (is not there)
-much much much MUCH taller jungle trees
-vines on JUST jungle trees
-cocoa (in jungle trees)
-pages in books
-longer eating time
-piston sounds
-slime block stickyness
-keep inven tabs symbol when select (symbols disapere)
-tnt needs to fly more when propelled and not light by torch, light by flintsteel
-faster snowball
-fishingpole line
-fix noteblock sounds
-gold hearts
-fix web (when I dig a web, i get unknown item)
-fix fact that web takes 30 seconds with a DIAMOND pic!!!
-make all blocks almost insta-dig in creative
-background music
-anvil (w/ naming?)
-enchantments (there is mod for that)
-auto-cornerstairs
-all redstone things activate tnt
-hitting needs to not ignite TNT (i can light tnt with my hand atm)
-when player touch lava/fire player ignite temporarily (fire img on hud and extended dmg)
-fix world gen keep going thru bedrock. stop it at about -100 so no extra gen. maybe put nether and end in the area freed by stopping world gen
-bedrock should contain tnt and not let blast radius out (bedrock stayes, but nodes around it dont
-chest open anim (or at least open model)
-chest lock 3d
-fix item frame texture
-rotate items in frame
-3d redstone torches
-shearing sheep should not sound like snow
-repeater should send signal in front of it and one below/front of it
Spoiler
but light above AND below lamp
More comming soon! (srry)
Great subgame btw!! :D +10 more!
Attachments
screenshot_20170112_163255.png
screenshot_20170112_163255.png (795.72 KiB) Viewed 81545 times

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

GreenDimond wrote:Here is a list of some things to change/fix:
OK, let's go!
I don't know, is this allowed in Minecraft?
-real scroll bar in inven
-search realtime (so no need for enter like in minecraft, player type 'C', list of things shortened to things start w/ 'C', add an 'A', shorten down to things start with 'Ca', etc...)
Not possible with the current engine yet. :-(
Thanks for spotting these engine limitations, they should be posted on GitHub.
-longer eating time
No idea how to do this.
-fishingpole line
No idea how this should work with the current engine. The pole would be doable, but not the line. But more importantly, fishing needs to be much slower anyway (no instant cheap fish).
-slime block stickyness
I need an explanation for this. Isn't the slime block supposed to be bouncy?
-fix fact that web takes 30 seconds with a DIAMOND pic!!!
LOL! The cobweb is not supposed to be dug by a pickaxe. Maybe this is just the digging time of the hand, so this is correct behaviour. Try shears or sword. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Cobweb
Can you tell me the digging time of a diamond pickaxe on cobweb in Minecraft?
-background music
There is a jukebox. But sound effects need more love as well, sure. I need to know a good libre resource pack, otherwise I have to search each sound on my own, which is probably of lower priority.
-when player touch lava/fire player ignite temporarily (fire img on hud and extended dmg)
This will be (hopefully) added when I add status effects. Maybe my old playereffects mod will finally pay off! :-)
Oh, wait, it only supports players at the moment, not all entities. So I need to update this mod either way. :-/
Link, please.
-fix world gen keep going thru bedrock. stop it at about -100 so no extra gen. maybe put nether and end in the area freed by stopping world gen
Good idea. That's basically what I planned, too, by using a layering technique. Void and bedrock will be used that the player can never legally enter the other “dimensions” by movement alone (no portals).
The nether is easy as it is completely enclosed in bedrock. The End is trickier. If I put it very high then the end islands will cast shadows on the overworld. If I put it underground, then it will lack “sunlight”, but maybe I can fake it somehow.

Maybe: Overworld: -100 .. +31000. Nether: -30000 .. 29744 (fixed size). The End: -28744 .. -1100. Bedrock forms the “dimension” boundaries, the remaining space will become the Void which kills the player very quickly. I am not sure about these numbers. Maybe I want to keep the possibility to add mod support for more dimensions, then I need to rethink this.

All other comments: 100% agree!

I am aware of most of the problems, but some of the things you mentioned are new to me. I can use your list as my TODO list. So, thanks! :-)

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Um, idk...I think so though.

-slime block stickyness
I need an explanation for this. Isn't the slime block supposed to be bouncy?
Indeed! But if used with a piston, it should move blocks along with it. Like the all-side sticky block in mesecons but bouncy as well
Link, please.
The mod is actually xdecor, which contains functional enchantment table.

I will eventually get back to you on the other questions (webs and items).
EDIT: Cobwebs: thx 4 that :P dig by sword/shears says "0.4" whatev that means :P but if hand takes "20", then I think that diamond pick can stay as is xD

I also suggest watching some Minecrafters on youtube (MagmaMusen [creative w/ blocks and such], PrestonPlays [pvp and tnt wars expert imo], MumboJumbo [redstone mega-expert], DanTDM [idk i just watch him :P], BajanCanadian [also dunno...], etc...). It might get you more acquainted with MC.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oops, I thought you meant the slime block is supposed to be sticky to players, meaning they can't jump on it. I was already aware that the slime block is supposed to be sticky to block when moved by a piston. I think the Mesecons sticky block is still buggy, which is why it can't be crafted and looks ugly.

Times are in seconds in the Minecraft Wiki.

And yes, I already watched way more MC videos than is good for my mental health. xD

Enchanting looks challenging to implement. But on first sight in Minecraft is is WAY more complex than in xdecor. So either I find a better mod or I have to implement it on my own.
But xdecor has many nice Minecraft-like features I could use, I already noticed. I guess I will take the ender chest from it.

u19503

by u19503 » Post

no it is not You Can Only pick up items If You Walk into them

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

toby109tt wrote:
no it is not You Can Only pick up items If You Walk into them
oh. hm. :/ das just stupid.
Wuzzy: Well at least make the item range a slight bit bigger.

Sirvoid
GitHub: Sirvoid
IRC: Sirvoid
In-game: Sirvoid

by Sirvoid » Post

I can't download the subgame from that website it does nothing like if the link was down.

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

Probably hosting code on repo.or.cz with purpose to avoid any contribution? Just seeing how that crappy site looks and feel makes any motivation go away.

In such ambitious project don't having proper bug tracker, comprehensible pull request review, wiki for documentation makes it's even more ambitious.

Any reason for not using github? (where most minetest moders are familiar with)

GreenXenith

by GreenXenith » Post

FYI: I am getting this info from my cousin who actually plays Minecraft somewhat regularly.
Fire technically should not be obtainable even in creative mode.
Lava/water sources should also not be obtainable. Just never-ending buckets.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I can't download the subgame from that website it does nothing like if the link was down.
Weird. It works for me. Sure you clicked on the link labeled “Download” and NOT on the “Git” link?

xeranas:
Jeez, why is there always so much hate against repo.or.cz? It's just a repository hoster. That's it! It's not a wiki/bug tracker/pull request manager/chat/forum/etc.
Potential contributors should just start to learn Git. If you *only* know how to use GitHub, you don't know how to use Git. Git users should be able to use it regardless of the hoster. ESPECIALLY regardless of the bling-bling or not-so-bling-bling website built around it (if there even is one).

I use repo.or.cz simply because I feel more comfortable in using it. It's that simple. :-)
Also, I dislike bloat and feature creep, like on GitHub.

Contributions to this project could work like this:
Either send patches (for simple changes) or fork this repository (and host it WHEREVER you like!) and talk to me if you want to get your branch or feature or whatever. The “Pull Request” is sending a message to me. :P
I think these “requirements” are really not too much to ask.

Also, Free Software != collaborative development.
Please notice there is no guarantee I will accept any contribution. Simple reason, it's my project after all, and I am not really a collaborative worker. Reviewing pull requests just adds more work for me.
A good way to get my attention is to simply write a good standalone mod which imitates a Minecraft feature well. Or point me towards a mod which does. Not neccessarily directly tailored towards MineClone 2, but in general. I'd like this approach even more because that way, other subgame authors could easily include your mod as well, benefitting the Minetest community as a whole. If I think the mod is well-programmed and including this mod would save me work, there are very good chances I include it. My requirement is that it reflects the Minecraft gameplay very well, but I am less strict about graphics or the GUI.
If you REALLY want to directly contribute to MineClone 2, be warned: This project is in an early stage, so I will do many changes which WILL surprise you, in a bad way. Better talk to me about your precise intentions beforehand to avoid later tears. ;-)

But you DO have a point about bugtracking. The amount of bugs will obviously be HUGE (it already is ... :D). So I don't really have an excuse for not having a bugtracker. Sigh. I need to look around if I find a clean and simple solution which doesn't make me puke. :D
The GitHub bugtracker is pretty lame in my opinion.

But I will certainly NOT host a stinking wiki, as I think it is a HUGE timesink and is technically very questionable. I don't understand how wikis have nowadays become the accepted “norm” of game documentation although it is rotten to the core (excuse not to distribute help files with the game, excuse for developers not to write documentation (“Yay! Let players do the work WE were supposed to do.”), doomed to be redundant and inconsistent, very bad in crunshing number, fighting with the wiki software eats away precious contributer time, etc. etc.). While wikis may still have their place as *supplemental* and *non-essential* information sources (I think of strategy guides and other fan-created stuff), they should IMO never be a *replacement* for the core documentation.

Instead, I will add an in-game documentation, making a wiki obsolete. I will treat any help which is not distributed with the game (either in-game or as README or similar files) as non-existant. Because people have a right to be offline. :D
Anyone can host their own wikis if they insist, but you will be mostly on your own.

Long story short: Sorry for sounding so arrogant here. The reason for this is because this is pretty much an one-person project. Well, if you ignore that I collect tons of work of others, that is. xD But you know what I mean.
FYI: I am getting this info from my cousin who actually plays Minecraft somewhat regularly.
Fire technically should not be obtainable even in creative mode.
Lava/water sources should also not be obtainable. Just never-ending buckets.
Thanks, noted. Keep these infos coming, if they can't be found in Minecraft Wiki.

Sirvoid

by Sirvoid » Post

Wuzzy wrote: Weird. It works for me. Sure you clicked on the link labeled “Download” and NOT on the “Git” link?
Wow now it work.
I needed to press 20 times on the link and waiting like 5minutes before the download finally start ...

xeranas

by xeranas » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I am not really a collaborative worker.
That's sentence alone is enough.

As for project I suggest to define which version of Minecraft this clone aim to mimic (at least until first major milestone). Minecraft still releases new versions and it cloud be overwhelming difficult to catch up newest version content/functionality. For users it would be easier to report which parts still missing and for you it would be easier to decide which content will go on next phase and focus on current version remaining issues.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:Long story short: Sorry for sounding so arrogant here. The reason for this is because this is pretty much an one-person project. Well, if you ignore that I collect tons of work of others, that is. xD But you know what I mean.
You could still host the project on GitHub for their more reliable service and more familiar user interface.

Just mention in the description that pull requests and feature requests may or may not be accepted. Some GitHub projects are very open by nature and merge almost any halfway reasonable PR, others are more tightly controlled and reject a lot of stuff. I don't see a problem with that as long as the project policy is spelled out clearly.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

As for project I suggest to define which version of Minecraft this clone aim to mimic (at least until first major milestone). Minecraft still releases new versions and it cloud be overwhelming difficult to catch up newest version content/functionality. For users it would be easier to report which parts still missing and for you it would be easier to decide which content will go on next phase and focus on current version remaining issues.
Very good idea! You're totally right, it will be very hard to go after a “moving target”.
I really haven't thought of it, I just base my requirements on the wiki, so my initial goal was just “latest version”.
In this case it will be version 1.11.0, I guess.

Too bad they just have a wiki, and not a versioned documentation (another huge disadvantage of wikis). And I never really know to which version the text in a wiki page currently refers to, and if it is actually up-to-date. At least they wrote down a “history” section so I am not totally helpless.

I already heard Minecraft version 1.12.0 is on the way. I'm not sure if I'm going to recreate features of this version, too.

So maybe I first just try to stick with version 1.11.0. Simply because that's I hope the current state of the wiki is. As soon all features of 1.11.0 are done, I might go on with later versions. Since the goal is to recreate Minecraft, re-implementing new features should also be part of this project.

But yeah, I try to stick with version 1.11.0 for now, to not have a moving target.
GitHub for their more reliable service
Pics or it didn't happen. :P
Just mention in the description that pull requests and feature requests may or may not be accepted.
Yeah, this must go into the readme no matter where I host it.

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Well, Sirvoid tried to download your game upthread and it didn't work. I'd say that's 1:0 for GitHub so far. :-)

Sirvoid

by Sirvoid » Post

Morn76 wrote:
Wuzzy wrote:
Well, Sirvoid tried to download your game upthread and it didn't work. I'd say that's 1:0 for GitHub so far. :-)
The site work but ..... You need to press 20 times on the download link :D

Morn76

by Morn76 » Post

Sirvoid wrote: The site work but ..... You need to press 20 times on the download link :D
Having to press a button 20 times is NOT my definition of "it works". :-)

u19503

by u19503 » Post

Hey Wuzzy I would recommend you download Minecraft on your PC before you make a clone because it's going to be much easier to make this clone more accurate

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

I decided to talk less and code more! :P

Version 0.2.0 released!
Changelog:

- Complete rework of fences
- Replace all mobs, use Mobs Redo 1.33 and mobs_mc. Many new mobs are now included, and they are much better now
- Add monster spawner
- Add 5 new fence types, one for each wood type
- Rework HUD system, now uses hudbars
- Clean up some creative inventory categories (redstone, foodstuffs, etc.)
- Add corner stairs (hopefully it works)
- Make redstone ore light up when being walked on
- Make cacti hurt
- Add suffocation
- Cake can now be eaten
- Adjust weapon damage and attack delay
- Add milk (only a craft item for now)
- Immediate digging in creative mode

- Add missing node sounds
- Fix crash on sapling growth
- Fix weird behaviour when digging large chest
- Fix drop of cobweb
- Update stairs mod, now based on Minetest Game 0.4.15
- Fix TNT ignition
- Fix wall collision being underground
- Reorganize many mods, refactor code, clean up chaos, fix bugs

IMPORTANT: Since I reorganized many mobs, I strongly advice you to start with a new world for testing. Future versions won't be different, as I am still reorganizing like crazy. Hopefully this won't take forever.
Having to press a button 20 times is NOT my definition of "it works". :-)
Well, this was the first report I ever heard about problems with repo.or.cz. And the cause for this failure can be many things, not just repo.or.cz.

Morn76

Re: 0.2.0

by Morn76 » Post

Wuzzy wrote: - Replace all mobs, use Mobs Redo 1.33 and mobs_mc. Many new mobs are now included, and they are much better now
Dogs attack the player even in creative mode. The other mobs seem to be OK in creative.

And the Ghast needs to be much larger and should probably have textures on the other sides too. :-)

Note that my villagers in Stampy game also have a primitive trading mode if you right click them. You cannot cycle through trades, you simply get a different trade offer each time you click. Maybe something you could put in MC2 too.

krokoschlange
GitHub: krokoschlange
In-game: krokoschlange

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.2.0]

by krokoschlange » Post

Two things about redstone:

The signal gets weaker and stops at 15 nodes of lenght

It breaks underwater

maikerumine
GitHub: maikerumine
In-game: maikerumine

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.2.0]

by maikerumine » Post

I don't know if this helps, but here is a subgame i made that was similar to MC. There are a few good mods in there like ender chest, ender pearl, compas, clock, and vines. Feel free to pick through this.

https://github.com/maikerumine/grieftest
Talamh Survival Minetest-->viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12959

Wuzzy

Version 0.3.0

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks, maikerumine. MineClone 2 aready has compass, clock and vines, but not a functioning ender pearl and ender chest. I will keep your subgame in mind.

Version 0.3.0 released!

- Basic functionality of hoppers is implemented, based on the hoppers mod my jordan4ibanez. The have an inventory with 5 slots, suck in all items from above and put it into chests below
- Redstone now drops when near water
- Add a few missing node sounds
- Pressure plates now have to be attached to the floor
- Finally a proper formspec for large chests
- Hide monster spawner in creative

Hoppers are not perfectly re-implemented yet, but this is of course planned for the future.