[Game] MineClone2 [0.86]

Jacques

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.55.0]

by Jacques » Post

I noticed that mobs surrounded by solid blocks are jumping over and over and eventually die because they get stuck in solid walls, especially chickens. I think this check in ENTITIES\mcl_mobs\api.lua is not working:

Code: Select all

-- this is used to detect if there's a block on top of the block in front of the mob.
	-- If there is, there is no point in jumping as we won't manage.
	local nodTop = node_ok({
		x = pos.x + dir_x,
		y = pos.y + 1.5,
		z = pos.z + dir_z
	}, "air")

-- we don't attempt to jump if there's a stack of blocks blocking
	if minetest.registered_nodes[nodTop.name] == true then
		return false
	end
and I tested the following changes in my local game

-- this is used to detect if there's a block on top of the block in front of the mob.
	local nodTop = node_ok({
		x = pos.x + dir_x,
		y = pos.y + 1.5,
		z = pos.z + dir_z
	})

if minetest.registered_nodes[nodTop.name].walkable == true then
		return false
	end
I think that my modification prevents horses to jump 2 blocks high by themselves but I verified that mounted horses are still able to.

Have you noticed similar behaviors with your animals?

Midnight Sapphire

by Midnight Sapphire » Post

What is the best level to find diamonds?

excavenger

by excavenger » Post

Jacques wrote:I noticed that mobs surrounded by solid blocks are jumping over and over and eventually die because they get stuck in solid walls, especially chickens. I think this check in ENTITIES\mcl_mobs\api.lua is not working:

local nodTop = node_ok({
		x = pos.x + dir_x,
		y = pos.y + 1.5,
		z = pos.z + dir_z
	}, "air")

if minetest.registered_nodes[nodTop.name] == true then
		return false
	end
and I tested the following changes in my local game

local nodTop = node_ok({
		x = pos.x + dir_x,
		y = pos.y + 1.5,
		z = pos.z + dir_z
	})

if minetest.registered_nodes[nodTop.name].walkable == true then
		return false
	end
I think that my modification prevents horses to jump 2 blocks high by themselves but I verified that mounted horses are still able to.

Have you noticed similar behaviors with your animals?
I have. Sometimes they also get stuck inside blocks that they should be able to jump over; or they'll clip right trough gaps that they shouldn't be able to. Horses seem able to jump over way more than 2 blocks sometimes.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Wuzzy, I don't want to seem arrogant or bothering... BUT!

your village/villagers problem, IMHO, does not really exist.

In RePixture, you have all you need to achieve the 'Villages/Villagers' goal in MC2. In fact, IMHO, they are perfect!
Think about that, would you, pleaaaaase?
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

Walker
In-game: Walker

by Walker » Post

My server crashed for the third time today with the following error

2019-11-18 21:52:18: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mcl_fishing' in callback luaentity_Step(): ...inetest/games/mineclone2/mods/ITEMS/mcl_fishing/init.lua:169: attempt to index a nil value
2019-11-18 21:52:18: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2019-11-18 21:52:18: ERROR[Main]: 	...inetest/games/mineclone2/mods/ITEMS/mcl_fishing/init.lua:169: in function <...inetest/games/mineclone2/mods/ITEMS/mcl_fishing/init.lua:154>

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Version 0.55.1 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

I released version 0.55.1 to hopefully fix the bug reported by Walker (thanks for reporting!).

Walker

Re: Version 0.55.1 released!

by Walker » Post

Wuzzy wrote:I released version 0.55.1 to hopefully fix the bug reported by Walker (thanks for reporting!).
it's a pleasure
and many thanks for the quick fix

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.55.1]

by zargulthewizard » Post

Pray this works, amen.

Hope I didn't upload this already, :P, but this is a hopefully not-too-old version of the portalgun mod for an also hopefully not-too-old version of MineClone2. Codefixers&bughunters welcome!
Attachments
mcl_portalgun.zip
(642.62 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
May God be with you, always.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You should post mods here: viewforum.php?f=9

bzt

by bzt » Post

Wuzzy wrote:No, they are not new. Just a bit rare.
Haha, ROTFL. Me and my kids together, we put about 1000 hours in MCL2, and we have found only ONE overworld structure... Extremely rare would be more appropriate, I think.

To help you with that @Wuzzy, I've created an MTS converter and repository. I have converted more than a hundred schematic files for structures.
mtsconv repo

It is Public Domain, I've made the script and the MTS files in the hope that these structures will be useful in MCL2.

There's a catch though, the dataset I was working from lacked rotation info, also the minetest developer's wiki only says "param2", which is not very informative, so you'll probably need a strewdriver to fix a few block's rotation, but I think that's all. I've checked the MCL2 game source to find a matching block type name, hopefully I haven't made any mistakes. But if I did, you can fix the type names with the converter.

I can't imagine why, but there's no place to mark the ground level in MTS files. As a workaround, the script sets param2 to 32 for air blocks on the ground layer. There's no point in rotating the air blocks, also the engine uses getParam2() & 0x1F, therefore this does not interfere with anything. I've checked with //mtschemplace, and it loaded the schemantic file without problems or warnings.

@Sokomine: these could be useful to your mg_village mod too, as many structures are houses, libraries, shops etc from MC. Right now the MTS files contain MCL-specific block type names, but with the converter you can replace those with MTG-specific names (most likely mcl_core: -> default: or similar). For that, you'll need a CSV: the first column is the from type name, the second is the to type names.

./mtsconv -c mcl2default.csv somemclstruct.mts mtgstruct.mts
Cheers,
bzt

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

There's a catch though, the dataset I was working from lacked rotation info, also the minetest developer's wiki only says "param2", which is not very informative
The Dev Wiki is semi-unofficial anyway. Only lua_api.txt counts. Consider the Dev Wiki to be gossip.

Hrm. A lot of the schematics seem to be too close to original MC. I won't add any of these buildings for now. I guess it'd be the best for MCL2 to redo the schematics from scratch. Must be a own work and not a copy.

I would post your script here:
viewforum.php?f=14

Anyway, MCL2's biggest problem atm is the spawning of mobs and not schematics. Schematics are the 2nd-biggest problem.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Dang, that's a very decent schematic tool. If I understand correctly it's possible to generate image previews of the schematics as well? Very nice.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

bzt wrote: Haha, ROTFL. Me and my kids together, we put about 1000 hours in MCL2, and we have found only ONE overworld structure... Extremely rare would be more appropriate, I think.
It's difficult to get the rarity right. Some of my structures spawn too often I'm afraid...
bzt wrote: @Sokomine: these could be useful to your mg_village mod too, as many structures are houses, libraries, shops etc from MC.
I don't like the original MC houses and structures much. They're more simplistic than what I want. The newer ones are a lot nicer. And then there's the problem Wuzzy already mentionned...no idea if a building is covered by copyright. Reproducing something in a similar (or better) style would IMHO be much better. But in general, you can create a new village type for mg_villages easily if you've got the schematics.
bzt wrote: Right now the MTS files contain MCL-specific block type names, but with the converter you can replace those with MTG-specific names (most likely mcl_core: -> default: or similar). For that, you'll need a CSV: the first column is the from type name, the second is the to type names.

./mtsconv -c mcl2default.csv somemclstruct.mts mtgstruct.mts
handle_schematics has some conversion mechanisms for MCL2 <-> MTG already - but it's incomplete. Your list might be helpful to improve it.
bzt wrote: There's a catch though, the dataset I was working from lacked rotation info,
bzt wrote: I can't imagine why, but there's no place to mark the ground level in MTS files.
Yes, exactly. That's so with schematics: No way to tell how they're initially rotated (which matters if you want to place them rotated in a certain direction) or where ground level is. handle_schematics and mg_villages circumvent that by attaching depth and rotation info to the filename. It's easiest to just go to the building you want to save, mark its end position with a handle_schematics:build marker/chest, then mark the front position, save it, and drop that in the schems/ folder of your new village type mod.
A list of my mods can be found here.

bzt

by bzt » Post

Wuzzy wrote:The Dev Wiki is semi-unofficial anyway. Only lua_api.txt counts. Consider the Dev Wiki to be gossip.
Hahaha, you made my day man! You have a great sense of humor! I've never heard anybody calling a dev wiki "gossip", that's hilarious! :-) Good one, I like it! And it fits :-)
Wuzzy wrote:Hrm. A lot of the schematics seem to be too close to original MC. I won't add any of these buildings for now. I guess it'd be the best for MCL2 to redo the schematics from scratch. Must be a own work and not a copy.
They are close, sure, but they are no copies. I haven't used the original MC, I don't even have the original files. I've used an independent free-source, that's why most of the block rotations are missing. If anybody feels to make adjustments to these to make them more MCL2 and less MC, fell-free to do so, I give my permission. I though of these schematics as a base to work with anyway, not as ones that could be included in MCL2 just as-is.
Wuzzy wrote:I would post your script here:
viewforum.php?f=14
Thank you, I'll.
Wuzzy wrote:Anyway, MCL2's biggest problem atm is the spawning of mobs and not schematics. Schematics are the 2nd-biggest problem.
I've never experienced anything wrong with mob spawing, but I believe you.
texmex wrote:Dang, that's a very decent schematic tool. If I understand correctly it's possible to generate image previews of the schematics as well? Very nice.
Yes it can, although many blocks are missing, because the Minetest wiki (where the block images were downloaded from) does not have the images for all the nodes. Also images for rotated stairs are missing, so even if the MTS were right, the preview would be most likely incorrect. The good news is, to fix that, all you need to do is to provide the missing .pngs in the blockimgs/ directory.
Sokomine wrote:It's difficult to get the rarity right. Some of my structures spawn too often I'm afraid...
I know. It also has to be seed dependent, so it's tricky at best. I only wish my biggest problem were too many structures in the overworld! :-)
Sokomine wrote:no idea if a building is covered by copyright.
As far as I know, they are not. I haven't used MC in any form, but I agree with you and with Wuzzy, it would be better if someone would "tune" them up a bit and fix the rotations. I'm afraid I'm a good developer, but I'm not as good with design, sorry. But maybe someone on this forum will volunteer and help.
Sokomine wrote:handle_schematics has some conversion mechanisms for MCL2 <-> MTG already - but it's incomplete. Your list might be helpful to improve it.
This is not an in-game, it is an offline converter (if you know what I mean). Currently I have no CSV for MCL2 <-> MTG, but it would be easy to create one just as I've created html2mcl.csv.
Sokomine wrote:es, exactly. That's so with schematics: No way to tell how they're initially rotated
Huh, I haven't though of that, but you're right! There's no per-structure rotation info, only per-block. I suppose you could circumvent that if every single MTS would store the model in a specific orientation (something like, as +Y is up, +X is on the right, +Z is toward the viewer, then the entrance (building front) must be always point to the +Z direction, or with other words, without rotation, the entrance must be towards the viewer).

Cheers,
bzt

bzt

by bzt » Post

- deleted -

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

bzt wrote: I've never experienced anything wrong with mob spawing, but I believe you.
It's another tricky affair. Either there are too many, or too few (players always tend to complain), or it takes too long to find a place the mob likes (spawning them at mapgen time is often time consuming and can lead to lag).

As far as villagers are concerned, they're prone to wander away. Those existing for a test on some servers (i.e. Sono un Altro Clone; has manually placed village; dig the gravel at the crossing marked with a sign to get villagers spawning) disappear pretty quickly into the woods. They also havn't been observed uttering "hm" all the time as what seems to be the main job of MC villagers.
bzt wrote: This is not an in-game, it is an offline converter (if you know what I mean). Currently I have no CSV for MCL2 <-> MTG, but it would be easy to create one just as I've created html2mcl.csv.
It was clear that it's an offline converter. I just hoped you had a list of node name translations better than mine :-)
bzt wrote: I suppose you could circumvent that if every single MTS would store the model in a specific orientation (something like, as +Y is up, +X is on the right, +Z is toward the viewer, then the entrance (building front) must be always point to the +Z direction, or with other words, without rotation, the entrance must be towards the viewer).
No, there's sadly no such convention. Most of the time the .mts format is used for decoration like trees and the like. For those, rotation doesn't matter that much or is best random anyway.

If you want to use the schematics you've saved, best save them again once each with my handle_schematics mod. That gets them the right file name extensions. You can also provide that data in a table in the village type definition, but that's tedious work. Then up with them into a schems/ folder, and add a suitable init.lua file. village_gambit may act as an excample as how to set this up. And then you ought to be able to spawn your villages in MCL2.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Midnight Sapphire

Hello y'all I got a question for you regarding mine clone 2 I am a server admin for a small private server and I am curious if there's any way to activate a per player creative mode for the admin account so I can do some admin stuff without having to activate creative mode for everyone

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Sorry, there is no per-player Creative Mode yet. :-(

Midnight Sapphire

Hey I wanted to report a bug or something are you aware that skeletons can shoot through walls

Leun
In-game: Leun

by Leun » Post

Midnight Sapphire wrote:Hey I wanted to report a bug or something are you aware that skeletons can shoot through walls
Wuzzy is aware. Same with spiders that can hit you through ceilings, floors and walls. As far as I know, there is no set date when these will get fixed. I assume it has to do with nodes and line of sight code or something related to a feature missing from the Minetest engine.. or it would of been quickly fixed already. However, you can browse all open and closed bugs in the link below and also post new bugs there if they don't already exist there. Hope this is helpful to you in the future.

https://git.minetest.land/Wuzzy/MineClone2/issues

tashbaugh
GitHub: ashbaught

by tashbaugh » Post

Leun wrote:
Midnight Sapphire wrote:Hey I wanted to report a bug or something are you aware that skeletons can shoot through walls
Wuzzy is aware. Same with spiders that can hit you through ceilings, floors and walls. As far as I know, there is no set date when these will get fixed. I assume it has to do with nodes and line of sight code or something related to a feature missing from the Minetest engine.. or it would of been quickly fixed already. However, you can browse all open and closed bugs in the link below and also post new bugs there if they don't already exist there. Hope this is helpful to you in the future.

https://git.minetest.land/Wuzzy/MineClone2/issues
Lee County Schools uses Minetest to promote student reading. https://mine.lee.k12.al.us

bzt

by bzt » Post

Hi,

I think I might have found the reason why skeletons are shooting through nodes.

In ENTITIES\mcl_mobs\api.lua, in do_states, at line 2032

-- stop attacking if player invisible or out of range
		if dist > self.view_range
		or not self.attack
		or not self.attack:get_pos()
		or self.attack:get_hp() <= 0
		or (self.attack:is_player() and mobs.invis[ self.attack:get_player_name() ]) then
the value of mobs.invis is not cleared properly when the player moves and a node gets between the mod and the player (I think).

If not this, then the problem must be with the local line_of_sight function at line 273. I've tried to replace that call in monster_attack (which picks a player to attack) in line 1543 with the original minetest.line_of_sight, but unfortunately I haven't run into any skeletons yet to test if it works. Where are they when you need them? :-) Anyway, that local line_of_sight does strange things to jump over non-walkable nodes which might be the root of the problem. I think monster_attack should use the original minetest.line_of_sight (which only checks for Air nodes).

Cheers,
bzt

Wuzzy

Version 0.56.1 released.

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.56.0 is out! No, sorry, I meant to say: Version 0.56.1 is out!
The nickname of this release is “The Grass is always greener on the other Side of the Mossy Cobblestone Wall”.

Major:
  • Per-biome coloring of grass blocks and grass-like plants. This requires new map generation to take effect. Existing parts of the map won't update on their own.
  • New nice-looking textures make the landscape look more alive and green
This means the screenshots on the info pages are now outdated. I might update the screenshots eventually, but this will take time …

Items:
  • Chorus fruit restore 4 food points
  • Snowballs and eggs make sound on impact
  • Snowballs and eggs are now destroyed on hitting a mob or player
  • Dropped item glows if the item represents a light source block
Graphics:
  • New textures: Sand, sandstone (+red versions), dirt (+covered variants), tall grass, fern, TNT, iron nugget, cobblestone, cobblestone wall (+mossy), brick block
Blocks:
  • Fix side hopper not collecting non-fuel items
  • Fix potential game freezing when digging large chorus tree (thanks, ZedekThePD!)
  • Piston heads no longer drop themselves when exploded
  • Chorus plants detach after explosion
  • Rename “Moss Stone” to “Mossy Cobblestone”
  • Fix wall not properly connecting to redstone torch
  • Disallow torch placement on hoppers
Mobs:
  • Mobs now shoot real arrow instead of fake ones (fixes some arrow-related bugs)
  • Snow golems throw real snowballs
  • Tweak parrot colors
  • Add sounds for chicks
  • Hide parrots, ender dragon, wither and witches from Creative Inventory (these mobs are too buggy)
  • Tweak other shooting attacks
  • When an enderman picks up a grass block, it will turn into dirt

Walker

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.56.1]

by Walker » Post

after the update from 0.55.1 to 0.56.1 some blocks with grass became a param2 of 240 and looks ... crazy ?
screenshot_20191216_191425.jpg
screenshot_20191216_191425.jpg (559.35 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

Wuzzy

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.56.1]

by Wuzzy » Post

Are you sure the grass blocks got the param2 of 240 because of the update? I.e. they did not have a different param2 before?

Also, were these blocks dry grass before? Or just normal grass?