- enchant tools
- collect xp again
then this happened (I tested it again):
screenshot_20201228_104849.png
You must have really great experience!
May God be with you, always.

Ryu
In-game: Ryu

Re: Version 0.69.0 released! (“The enchanted Update”)

by Ryu » Post

Wuzzy wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 03:23
Version 0.69.0 released! Nicknamed “The enchanted Update”!
  • Add experience bar and experience orbs (dropped from mobs, mining certaing blocks, smelting, etc.) (by Oil_boi)
  • Add enchanting table (by Fleckenstein)
  • Add enchanted tools (by Fleckenstein)
  • Add /xp command to add experience
  • Add /enchant and /forceenchant command to enchant items
  • Change Obsidian texture (by kay27)
  • Sugarcanes can now be placed diagonally from water
  • Fix swords being too big in itemframe
  • Change bow pointing range
  • Added object crosshair (for future MT version)
  • Added status effect symbols
  • Translation update: French (by Laurent Rocher)
  • Fix arrow hit being hearable globally
  • Fix lightning being hearable in all dimensions
  • Can now place kelp in water that flows downwards
  • Kelp now drops multiple kelps if higher than 1 block
  • Fix player eating food when holding food while pointing an animal (will feed mob instead)
  • Animals no longer follow your food while in love mode
  • Improve flight behavior of bat
  • The parrot has returned!
  • Add slightly better mob death effect
  • Add a lot of new mob sounds
  • Fix mobs spawning too high
  • Fix carrot plants looking weird when eaten by rabbit
  • More sounds: end portal opens, shears cut, bow+arrow
  • Fix endermen sometimes taking nodes below a solid node
  • No longer collide with dead mobs
  • Teach ocean mobs how to "flop" when stranded
  • Fix various crashes
  • Observer watches in realtime mode (by kay27)
  • Change fire ignition mechanics (by kay27)
  • Fix magma cubes and zombies not taking damage from hands
  • Make lava/fire wait 2 seconds before destroying items to allow chance for pickup (by MysticTempest)
  • Fix concrete powder mechanics (by MysticTempest)
Have fun!
Very cool update, however enchanting a diamond pick axe with "efficiency I" makes it unable to break any stone types.

Ryu

by Ryu » Post

Ryu wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 01:24
Wuzzy wrote:
  • Add experience bar and experience orbs (dropped from mobs, mining certaing blocks, smelting, etc.) (by Oil_boi)
  • Fix player eating food when holding food while pointing an animal (will feed mob instead)
  • Fix various crashes
  • Make lava/fire wait 2 seconds before destroying items to allow chance for pickup (by MysticTempest)
Have fun!
Very cool update, however enchanting a diamond pick axe with "efficiency I" makes it unable to break any stone types.
Also when Endermen pick items up they seem to duplicate the item, that and they seem to be able to pick up flowers which should be impossible, you can find a list of what they can pick up here https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Enderman

Ryu

by Ryu » Post

Ryu wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 01:28
Ryu wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 01:24
Wuzzy wrote:
  • Fix various crashes
Have fun!
Also when Endermen pick items up they seem to duplicate the item, that and they seem to be able to pick up flowers which should be impossible, you can find a list of what they can pick up here https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Enderman
Also it seems there is a issue with the pumpkin on head preview
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-12-30 20-38-17.png
(294.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Leun
In-game: Leun

Re: [Game] MineClone 2 [0.69.1]

by Leun » Post

I found a major problem with nether portals. Until now, I've been building Nether portals on the surface and have had no problems. I started a new world recently and got to the point where I wanted to build a Nether portal underground. I decided to build the Nether portal down at Bedrock level and when I went through the portal, it spawned me submerged in lava in the Nether (which was problem #1). I quickly returned into the portal to go back to my underground base, to find that half of my underground base near the Nether portal was missing and there is a huge crater around my portal now (which was problem #2). Hope this gets fixed in future releases, because this destroyed most of my underground base and all my chests full of mining spoils.. :(

kay27
GitHub: kay27

by kay27 » Post

Happy New Year :)

@Leun thanks for the feedback! I need more information to realize what happened: 1) did you protect your chest somehow? (e.g. areas or protector mod) 2) when you arrived in Nether - didn't you see obsidian platform around the portal? It may be some kind of normal behavior (as it described here), may be not.
Can you please provide your world seed and Overworld coordinates of your first portal for me to reproduce that?
Thanks in advance.
markr wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 22:38
sticky pistons stopped being sticky
Yes, if the owner data is missing for the piston in protected area, it gives this result. It should be set here, I'm checking what's wrong.

Leun

by Leun » Post

@kay27 Happy New Year, to you too :)

I was not using any additional mods like the protector mod you mentioned, just vanilla Mineclone2. The world seed 2020 spawns you in a Mushroom Fields biome. I kept digging down to Bedrock layer from where I spawned and created an underground base there. At Bedrock layer, I eventually built a Nether portal. When I went through the portal, I didn't see an obsidian platform because the portal was in a lake of lava. When I went through the portal back to my base, that's when a crater was around the portal, like a huge explosion happened. Area was well lit with torches and I have placed stone slabs on ground to prevent mobs like creepers from spawning, so not sure how or why that crater happened around the portal area. I tried building Nether portals twice now down at Bedrock layer and both times, a huge crater around the portal upon returning, not sure what is going on, but I'll just build Nether portals above ground until this gets solved. I lost stuff, but I just started a new world and still playing, so no worries. Just reporting weird bugs when I find them. :)

markr
GitHub: CableGuy67

by markr » Post

kay27 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 18:32
Happy New Year :)

@Leun thanks for the feedback! I need more information to realize what happened: 1) did you protect your chest somehow? (e.g. areas or protector mod) 2) when you arrived in Nether - didn't you see obsidian platform around the portal? It may be some kind of normal behavior (as it described here), may be not.
Can you please provide your world seed and Overworld coordinates of your first portal for me to reproduce that?
Thanks in advance.
markr wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 22:38
sticky pistons stopped being sticky
Yes, if the owner data is missing for the piston in protected area, it gives this result. It should be set here, I'm checking what's wrong.
First the sticky piston. I had read earlier you talking about the owner data but shouldn't smashing the piston and replacing it fix the issue? Or does the item have "memory" about it's past life? I didn't make a new fresh one to try inside a protector. I did take one that wasn't working outside the protector and it worked there.

As for the Nether portal. I just got this to trigger. My crater wasn't as big as I expected but it is a few blocks all the way around the base. I got it to happen by putting the lowest 2 blocks of obsidian below the bedrock level where there had been stone. Just setting the entire thing right above the bedrock didn't case the problem. Now, my return portal was created at ground level. I never seem to be able to come back to my original portal no matter what. I tested this on your survival server at first but I couldn't trigger a return to my portal, it always goes back to a different one someone else already had in place. I caused the effect on a new world locally with a fresh git pull from your repo just now for the exploding effect.

markr

by markr » Post

Ah right, one last thing. Being able to now pick up the protection blocks is very cool. Probably a little off topic for this thread but still, they are intertwined.

NO11
In-game: NO11

by NO11 » Post

I'm not sure if there is a special forum thread for this, but here is a list of mods that should definitely be included in mineclone2 to make it more like minecraft:

2 mods to make the sneak behavior the same as in minecraft:
-Visible Sneakhttps://content.minetest.net/packages/n ... ble_sneak/ (makes the player smaller when sneaking) + the dependence Controls https://content.minetest.net/packages/B ... /controls/
-Invisible https://content.minetest.net/packages/A ... invisible/
(Makes the other player's name invisible when sneaking [on a server], very very important for pvp)
Fortunately, these 2 mods don't collide with each other and can run perfectly at the same time.

2 end bosses:
-MineClone2 End Crystal https://content.minetest.net/packages/F ... d_crystal/ (this mod can spawn the ender dragon)
-MineClone2 Wither Spawninghttps://content.minetest.net/packages/F ... _spawning/

and Illumination https://content.minetest.net/packages/P ... umination/
(because if you hold a torch in your hand in minecraft, the surroundings are illuminated)

Best regards and a happy new year

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

It's time to stop.

by Wuzzy » Post

It's time to stop.
I have slowly but surely lost interest in this project.
And I want to stop working on it. Yes, this is true.

Several reasons:
  1. I just became bored. Cloning MC features was an interesting experience at the beginning, but I have slowly lost interest in the past months; I was mostly distracted with other things. Now MCL2 just became uninteresting to me, and no longer enjoyable, so I just lost motivation. I want to move on with more interesting projects. I feel more and more limited by the idea of "cloning MC"; I want to actually start something different now, use my own ideas, more than just copying and cloning. Although MCL2 was never meant as a perfect clone, there's still many things that are pretty faithful … in principle, at least.
  2. I haven't really added any significant features in the recent past. It was the co-workers who did the bulk work in the last couple of releases, not me.
  3. The list of bugs and missing features is still large, and I don't know how much extra time it would take to complete it. This would further take away time I like to spend with other, more interesting projects.
  4. There are several major problems with the game, especially redstone and bad clunky mob behavior. The game is also not really performant, it's pretty CPU hungry for no good reason. And I have no real motivation of fixing it; I have willfully sidestepped those problems for years.
  5. This project has been dragging on for ca. 4 years now, and it is still not finished, but still a long way to go. That's too much.
  6. MC 1.11 just has too many features, some rather obscure, and cloning them all would take forever.
This is unfortunate, but I simply want to move on.
Sadly, there are still many rough edges and halfplemented features, so I will not be the one to do the big version 1.0.0 release. Even if I scale back on the project goals massively, there is still a lot of bugfixing and cleanup that needed to be done, and I don't think MCL2 is even close to 1.0.0.

But even in this unfinished alpha state, the game is at least still playable, even if buggy. There are a few MCL2 servers, after all.

I don't think I really wasted my time, however. I have learned a lot in this time, and that's worth something. And maybe my next projects will be better.

Here's my plan:
  1. I want do one last regular release for all unreleased stuff and an updated README
  2. I will probably stick around for a while for "basic life support", i.e. critical bugfix releases, answering questions about the game, etc. But nothing big.
  3. Whoever wants to take over the project, will receive control over the repository. I haven't decided on who that could be yet. Not that it means much, of course, it's FOSS, after all. MCL2 belongs to all.
  4. If neccessary, I will create an archived/backed up version of that final regular release for historic purposes
Finally, some acknowledgements:
I like to thank my co-workers kay27, bzoss, MysticTempest and ryvnf for their hard work. I like to thank 22i for their modelling, which was really helpful. I like to thank all other contributors who contributed small and big things over the years. The game would have not come that far without you.
I like to thank Bu-Gee for a long Let's Play series on YouTube which made me a little proud and also helped me find some usability fails.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

NO11

by NO11 » Post

NO11 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 21:38
I'm not sure if there is a special forum thread for this, but here is a list of mods that should definitely be included in mineclone2 to make it more like minecraft:

2 mods to make the sneak behavior the same as in minecraft:
-Visible Sneakhttps://content.minetest.net/packages/n ... ble_sneak/ (makes the player smaller when sneaking) + the dependence Controls https://content.minetest.net/packages/B ... /controls/
(Makes the other player's name invisible when sneaking [on a server], very very important for pvp)
Fortunately, these 2 mods don't collide with each other and can run perfectly at the same time.

2 end bosses:
-MineClone2 End Crystal https://content.minetest.net/packages/F ... d_crystal/ (this mod can spawn the ender dragon)
-MineClone2 Wither Spawninghttps://content.minetest.net/packages/F ... _spawning/

and Illumination https://content.minetest.net/packages/P ... umination/
(because if you hold a torch in your hand in minecraft, the surroundings are illuminated)

Best regards and a happy new year
sorry, i didn't notice that the endcristal mod is already in the game

Miniontoby
IRC: Miniontoby
In-game: Miniontoby

by Miniontoby » Post

NO11 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 21:38
The invisble mod if you sneak and ypu not have fly, makes you go though the world and let you die, but yeah this isseu is at all invisble mods.
My English isn't very good because I'm Dutch ---- Check my mod "Doorbell"

kay27
GitHub: kay27

by kay27 » Post

@Wuzzy Sad to know. The way you manage the project is brilliant. And I'm sure all problems you've listed could be resolved somehow. But it's really a huge amount of them so, I understand your decision.

But again, I don't remember the issue we couldn't resolve - even if some fixes were ugly and limited by the engine :)

When I first time had some curiosity to run own free server with more or less stable game, more or less similar to Minecraft, I tried many mods and modpacks, and MineClone 2 shown best result with the gameplay, performance and consistency.

Thank you so much.

P. S. Still hope you will change your mind. But if not - probably currently most active developer is Elias Fleckenstein - he told me that he worked on Crafter (here). Looking at his dragonfire hacklient, I think it might be promising.

P. P. S. @markr: pistons are fixed.

markr

by markr » Post

@Wuzzy I just want to say that my son and I really have enjoyed this project. It allowed him to apply his MC knowledge that (mostly) was correct from watching MC videos on youtube. It has been a lot of fun. We look forward to new content from you in the future.

@kay27 Thanks for that! I'm glad you were able to get things sorted. One thing to note is that you do have to take the piston out then place it back to get it to work. Once I did that the piston was once again sticky. It must be the trick to restoring the owner data. I changed one piston in a door then it worked while the other still didn't stick. Interestingly enough, removing the protector block allows both to work (as anticipated) then replacing the block goes back to the existing one not being sticky and the replaced one being sticky. I'd stay the fix is pretty solid. Thanks again.

40W
IRC: FortyW
In-game: 40W

by 40W » Post

@Wuzzy thank you for all you have done here

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

We're currently preparing the work for the next release (and the final release for me), hunting down critical bugs and such.
PLEASE, if you discover any crash or other serious bug in 0.69.1, please let us know.
I want to have a clean release before I go.
My creations. I gladly accept bitcoins: 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

NO11

by NO11 » Post

@Wuzzy, I had some crashes on local servers, I had no mods enabled. But that's probably more due to the poor computing performance of my SBC...

Nicu
GitHub: kneekoo

by Nicu » Post

@Wuzzy: Thanks for all your effort! It's been a long grind and we didn't spare you from reporting lots of bugs. :) Everyone who contributed to MineClone 2 did a great job at pushing this game to a level that offers a Minecraft-like experience to people who can't afford buying that game, and that matters a lot.

For quite a few months I ignored Minecraft in favor of this game, as unfinished and Alpha it may be - it was still a lot of fun and I enjoyed it, as others have. So thanks again, have a great 2021 and use your time for something else that makes you happy. Many of us will likely miss you, even if the other active developers do a great job, so even if you only drop in for a "Hello", please drop by every now and then. :)

And thanks for pushing for a last stable release before you go. That's awesome! :) Happy New Year!

goats

by goats » Post

Ryu wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 01:39
Also when Endermen pick items up they seem to duplicate the item,
This has happened probably all the time for years, except when Endermen displaying the wielded object was turned off.
that and they seem to be able to pick up flowers which should be impossible,
Yes, see the reference. Endermen can exactly pick up flowers. It's nice to see these takeable-by-endermen settings added.
Leun wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 03:36
When I went through the portal back to my base, that's when a crater was around the portal, like a huge explosion happened.
Ghasts can come, and maybe simply fire, through portals. Seen this a lot on Kay's server.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Wuzzy: I was wondering how long it would take for you to feel like you were done with this, so i am not really surprised. You have given many years developing something which doesn't always really want to work in MT and which is ... a clone. Re-implementing something isn't inherently bad, but you clearly have a creative streak, and not just with code. Best wishes with your other projects and anything new. You have certainly brought mcl2 a long way, and i have enjoyed it at many stages.

40W
IRC: FortyW
In-game: 40W

by 40W » Post

i found these bugs:
  • breaking gravel with shovels with fortune enchantment crashes game/sever (ty to player R2D2 in my server)
  • pickaxes with efficiency do not drop most blocks they break faster
  • dying while in a boat makes you respawn as very small character (ty to player loucian in my server)

Fleckenstein
GitHub: EliasFleckenstein03
IRC: Fleckenstein
In-game: Fleckenstein

by Fleckenstein » Post

kay27 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 16:17
P. S. Still hope you will change your mind. But if not - probably currently most active developer is Elias Fleckenstein - he told me that he worked on Crafter (here). Looking at his dragonfire hacklient, I think it might be promising.
I'll maintain MineClone2 in the future if you guys want me to.

Fleckenstein
GitHub: EliasFleckenstein03
IRC: Fleckenstein
In-game: Fleckenstein

by Fleckenstein » Post

40W wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 18:40
[*]pickaxes with efficiency do not drop most blocks they break faster
We patched that bug already, it will work in the next release.
I'll investigate into the other ones.
Last edited by Fleckenstein on Mon Jan 04, 2021 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

zargulthewizard
In-game: zargul

by zargulthewizard » Post

@Wuzzy Praying for you, and "See you next mission! B-)
May God be with you, always.

Leun

by Leun » Post

@goats, No it happens every time when you build a Nether portal at Bedrock layer. Not above Bedrock layer, but at or below Bedrock layer in non-Bedrock areas. The explosion around the portal doesn't happen until you enter the Nether and return through the portal. It wasn't a Ghast both times, and this has already been confirmed by markr who also got the explosion to trigger. Try building a portal down at Bedrock layer like markr described in his post above, and see if it happens to you also. Then do it again and see if it happens again.. if so, that is one persistent Ghast.