Version 0.4.0 released! Version 0.4.1 released!
This is a MAJOR technical release. A lot of things under the hood are change, as a result, you can NOT play worlds from 0.3.0 or earler in this version
. If you try anyway, you will be greeted with a world made out of unknown nodes, and worse. You have been warned. :P
To play 0.4.1, just start a new world.
The main change here is that I have completely restructured the way how the game is internally organized. A lot of the file names, identifier names, mod names etc. I was using for programming were a really confusing mess. For example, the volcanic ash was internally called “default:sand”, burned stone was “default:desert_stone”, and other nonsense. The “default” mod has also been splitted across multiple smaller mods that are easier to work on. There's a LOT of other work under the hood to make work with the codebase more pleasant.
This was quite some work, but it does not add any concrete new features to the game. It was neccessary IMO to keep my sanity. However, the downside of this is that the new version is now incompatible
with previous worlds. If you have a world from 0.3.0, it won't work in 0.4.1 version! Please keep in mind that Hades Revisited is still in an early development stage, so I can not give any compability promises so far. Also I have a ton of ideas for this game.
Apart from that, this release has a few nice features! I have experimented around with atmospheric sounds. There are two kinds of atmospheric sound: The first one is being constantly played in the background based on your current elevation and the time of day, it's played in an infinite loop. There is different background noise for the sky, the surface area and the underground. All with a somewhat volcanic, dark feel to it.
Note this kind of atmosphere currently does not care about the surroundings. If you have already grown a large nice forest or even jungle, the volcanic theme might be inappropriate. I am aware of this potential problem, and I have a plan to deal with this in future versions. The same goes for the "sulphur-colored" sky. I plan to eventually add nature atmospheric sounds as well. Heavily foreted areas obviously need to sound different.
The second kind of atmospheric sound checks out your immediate surrounding. Currently, this is for lava and water. I just cannibalized the algorithm that Minetest Game uses for water, and it's relatively simple, but it turns out quite well. This has a gameplay effect as well: You can hear flowing water from a distance, which can be helpful if you still haven't found any water.
Finally, there are some misc. changes, some of them to introduce some of the fancy Minetest 5.2.0 features.
- INCOMPATIBLE WITH WORLDS FROM 0.3.0 OR EARLIER!
- New required Minetest version: 5.2.0
- Lots of work under the hood to clean up the internal chaos
- Change some crafting recipes, fix some broken ones
- Add alternative crafting recipes for lamps that involve glowdust or glow crystals
- Add environment sound based on your elevation, time of day and immediate surroundings
- Fix a couple of crashes
- Improve inventory backgrounds a bit to make the borders look more regular
- New game icon
- Don't dig caves through liquids anymore
- Rework sky color, smoother sky color transitions
- Add sun to sky
- Add flowergrass into crafting guide and Creative Inventory
- Change table lamp texture so the wood color matches the color of common wood
- Add semitransparency to crack texture