Version 0.3.0 released!

Changelog:
  • Made compatible with Minetest 5.0.0
  • Disable v6 mudflow
  • Remove microphone from player texture
  • Restrict mapgen selection to v6 when creating new world
  • Remove tool repair recipes for items for which it doesn't make sense
  • A lot of internal code refactoring
Note: If you don't have Minetest 5.0.0 yet, use the game version 0.2.4 instead.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Game] Hades Revisited [0.3.0]

by texmex » Post

Heh, may I say, that initial radio transmission conveyed through the chat created more immersion than the whole of MTG. =D

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Oh, come on! Being better than MTG isn't hard. :P

garpu

by garpu » Post

So I've got cobblestone around water, and no mossy stone is forming. Does it need to be real stone?

garpu

by garpu » Post

Figured it out with mossy cobble and tuff, but olives? Where does one get olives to make an olive tree?

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

You need to craft an olive sapling. Look it up in your crafting guide.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

I think the "The Martian" might indeed have some nice ideas to study.
I really did expect something along the lines of a fertilizer when I first played this.
or did I miss something?

So my suggestion is to have the crafting of fertile earth be a little more difficult with some real composting needed to get good earth and some sort of plant booster in form of a fertilizer for the advanced. I would love to see something along the lines of the pooping mod included. Maybe the mobs could be interested in junglegrass or weeds and leave fertile poop behind or drop such. Maybe to add some moral dilema they could also be processed themselves, like the dead in the film Waterworld.

Actually having to herd mobs at some advanced point to harvest something only they can provide might be an interesting progress stage. This could include the need to terraform some larger area to make them productive. Hmm - like having to provide flower areas for the old bees mod. Maybe some insect like pseudo mob could be vital for something needed for progress. Maybe something like clay coming from structures built by termite like mobs.

am actually having some fun playing this...
gotta investigate this game more

garpu

by garpu » Post

Wuzzy wrote:You need to craft an olive sapling. Look it up in your crafting guide.
Oh, gotcha! I missed that there was an alternate one without olives.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

When I pick up this game again, I am planning some serious changes.

First, I think I'll rethink the whole concept of spreading plants. And there need to be more plants overall. And plants make more sense on a lava planet. No idea how exactly.

I think expanding on the general idea of terraforming is also an interesting area to explore.

And probably I am going to think about some other gameplay mechanics to truly set the game apart from the rest.

And the game needs content. Content, content, content. I need the player to give something to have a sense of progression.

Chem871
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Chem Nyx

by Chem871 » Post

Well, volcanic ash is great soil for plants. For content, why not spawn the ruins of some civilization at random? But no loot, because it's been so long.....?
What is SCP-055?

garpu

by garpu » Post

Some sort of fertilizer from volcanic ash?

Ruins would be fun. More plants, maybe the ability to clone livestock or people from DNA left in the ruins? not sure what there is for mods and minetest.

Hades Revisited is pretty fun, though.

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Perhaps you could add a story involving aliens or about escaping Hades. If you didn't want to create a detailed story, perhaps you could make a second radio message that would tell the player that Earth has been destroyed by nuclear weapons and it is up to the player to rebuild civilization (cloning could make more humans).

Spaceship wrecks scattered around Hades could further immerse the player and motivate them to explore. The player could scavenge enough technology to make a small spaceship to explore Hades's moons.

This is a very farfetched idea, but what if the player could time travel to the future of Hades? Earth was once like Hades, but it cooled down, gained water oceans, and became habitable. This could happen to Hades.
Currently working on new mods.

garpu

by garpu » Post

As laggy as Hades Revisited can get, some sort of armor would be useful, too.

garpu

by garpu » Post

And are the fluid tanks disabled, as well, for water? I tried hooking one up to a pump, and it wouldn't fill. (I was using the regular pipes.)

Red_King_Cyclops

by Red_King_Cyclops » Post

Although Hades is a volcanic world, there are technically no active volcanos in the game. Volcanos that regularly erupt could give the player another challenge to deal with.

Perhaps you could add craters around Hades that contain meteorites. Meteorites could be used for various purposes.
Currently working on new mods.

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

A Twitch streamer was trying MT the other day. He eventually tried Hades and was quite pleased. I also started playing it because it looked like he had a lot of fun.

BTW previously he also did your tutorial, which sets the mapgen to singlenode. Unfortunately, some other games it tried don't force the mapgen, so he thought those games were broken. Not really your fault though.

He took the warnings about this game being in Alpha stage as face value, but it seems to me the game is quite reliable. It is good to warn, but it can lead people to think they see a bug when they just misunderstand something. Like, trees can take sometime to grow, but if you say "expect bugs" people will sort of think that it is because of a bug a bit too fast - like a priming effect.

So I think it would be good to move the game to Beta or Release. I don't think the game needs more progression like you said in your latest message. Our streamer said himself "I never was so happy to grow a tree in MC (sic)" and "I was never so happy to find iron". The game is very different from the usual MC or MTG-based game, without being too different. I think it is fine as it is.

Wuzzy

by Wuzzy » Post

Hey, thanks for letting me know. This game is intentionally in alpha because it is far from feature-complete. I have lots of ideas for this game to add more things to do, and in general more depth.

Areas I like to improve are:
- More progression in plantlife (currently I think you get trees too fast, I like the player to start small, with small bushes, etc.)
- Probably rework vegetation entirely. I'm not really happy with apples, tomatoes, wheat, etc. on a volcanic planet; I need to think of something that's more appropriate
- Rework mapgen: currently, surface looks the same everywhere, surface exploration is pointless. I like to have a reason for the player to explore surface as well
- Atmospheric sound
- Rework underground. Make the underground progressively more dangerous as you descend
- Rework emeralds: I don't like that emeralds are exchangable, e.g. that you can make a diamond only from emeralds
- More complex crafting: Player currently can craft everywhere. I like to require to use more "crafting stations". This will also be useful to make crafting guide way smaller
- Some sensible way of teleportation/transportation. Travelnet boxes are too OP
- And more …

I'm probably also considering removal of things I consider to be bloat, stuff that I feel don't really belong here. Most likely Mesecons will have to go.

I also give ZERO guarantees for future world compability for upcoming versions.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

Hmmm, I thought I posted here. Oh well
This is a fun game. Thanks for keeping it going!
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.1 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.4.0 released! Version 0.4.1 released!

This is a MAJOR technical release. A lot of things under the hood are change, as a result, you can NOT play worlds from 0.3.0 or earler in this version. If you try anyway, you will be greeted with a world made out of unknown nodes, and worse. You have been warned. :P

To play 0.4.1, just start a new world.

The main change here is that I have completely restructured the way how the game is internally organized. A lot of the file names, identifier names, mod names etc. I was using for programming were a really confusing mess. For example, the volcanic ash was internally called “default:sand”, burned stone was “default:desert_stone”, and other nonsense. The “default” mod has also been splitted across multiple smaller mods that are easier to work on. There's a LOT of other work under the hood to make work with the codebase more pleasant.

This was quite some work, but it does not add any concrete new features to the game. It was neccessary IMO to keep my sanity. However, the downside of this is that the new version is now incompatible with previous worlds. If you have a world from 0.3.0, it won't work in 0.4.1 version! Please keep in mind that Hades Revisited is still in an early development stage, so I can not give any compability promises so far. Also I have a ton of ideas for this game.

Apart from that, this release has a few nice features! I have experimented around with atmospheric sounds. There are two kinds of atmospheric sound: The first one is being constantly played in the background based on your current elevation and the time of day, it's played in an infinite loop. There is different background noise for the sky, the surface area and the underground. All with a somewhat volcanic, dark feel to it.
Note this kind of atmosphere currently does not care about the surroundings. If you have already grown a large nice forest or even jungle, the volcanic theme might be inappropriate. I am aware of this potential problem, and I have a plan to deal with this in future versions. The same goes for the "sulphur-colored" sky. I plan to eventually add nature atmospheric sounds as well. Heavily foreted areas obviously need to sound different.

The second kind of atmospheric sound checks out your immediate surrounding. Currently, this is for lava and water. I just cannibalized the algorithm that Minetest Game uses for water, and it's relatively simple, but it turns out quite well. This has a gameplay effect as well: You can hear flowing water from a distance, which can be helpful if you still haven't found any water.

Finally, there are some misc. changes, some of them to introduce some of the fancy Minetest 5.2.0 features.

Changelog:
  • INCOMPATIBLE WITH WORLDS FROM 0.3.0 OR EARLIER!
  • New required Minetest version: 5.2.0
  • Lots of work under the hood to clean up the internal chaos
  • Change some crafting recipes, fix some broken ones
  • Add alternative crafting recipes for lamps that involve glowdust or glow crystals
  • Add environment sound based on your elevation, time of day and immediate surroundings
  • Fix a couple of crashes
  • Improve inventory backgrounds a bit to make the borders look more regular
  • New game icon
  • Don't dig caves through liquids anymore
  • Rework sky color, smoother sky color transitions
  • Add sun to sky
  • Add flowergrass into crafting guide and Creative Inventory
  • Change table lamp texture so the wood color matches the color of common wood
  • Add semitransparency to crack texture

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: [Game] Hades Revisited [0.4.1]

by texmex » Post

Had a crash using item_drop in the game. I would suggest supporting it or even include it as it was fun to use in low gravity and further reminds the player of the low gravity.

Code: Select all

2020-04-08 13:32:11: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: environment_Step: Runtime error from mod 'item_tweaks' in callback environment_Step(): ...est/games/hades_revisited/mods/item_tweaks/item_drop.lua:133: attempt to index upvalue 'v' (a nil value)
2020-04-08 13:32:11: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-04-08 13:32:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...est/games/hades_revisited/mods/item_tweaks/item_drop.lua:133: in function 'moveTowards'
2020-04-08 13:32:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...est/games/hades_revisited/mods/item_tweaks/item_drop.lua:184: in function <...est/games/hades_revisited/mods/item_tweaks/item_drop.lua:170>
2020-04-08 13:32:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...inetest.app/Contents/Resources/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function <...inetest.app/Contents/Resources/builtin/game/register.lua:413>
2020-04-08 13:32:11: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.2 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Thanks for the bug report!
Version 0.4.2 released!

Changelog:
  • Fix crash in item_tweaks mod (hopefully)
  • Fix possible crash in mobs mod when taking damage from unknown source
  • Fix floating water droplets
For now, I will give this game only minimal life support (important bugfixes, etc.).

metallicus76

Re: [Game] Hades Revisited [0.4.2]

by metallicus76 » Post

Hello Wuzzy,
game crash with Birch tree

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'hades_trees' in callback LuaABM::trigger(): ...inetest/games/hades_revisited/mods/hades_trees/birch.lua:81: attempt to call method 'generate_birchtree' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...inetest/games/hades_revisited/mods/hades_trees/birch.lua:81: in function <...inetest/games/hades_revisited/mods/hades_trees/birch.lua:80>

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.3 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.4.3 released!

This fixes crashes when a birch tree sapling, cultivated jungle tree sapling, or olive sapling tries to grow.

Jacques

Re: [Game] Hades Revisited [0.4.3]

by Jacques » Post

Just had this crash during my first deep exploration. Maybe it was me jumping against a wall?

2020-04-16 23:49:22: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod '*builtin*' in callback luaentity_Step(): ...\minetest\bin\..\games\hades_revisited\mods\mobs/api.lua:142: attempt to index local 'v' (a nil value)
2020-04-16 23:49:22: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2020-04-16 23:49:22: ERROR[Main]: 	...\minetest\bin\..\games\hades_revisited\mods\mobs/api.lua:142: in function 'get_velocity'
2020-04-16 23:49:22: ERROR[Main]: 	...\minetest\bin\..\games\hades_revisited\mods\mobs/api.lua:701: in function 'do_jump'
2020-04-16 23:49:22: ERROR[Main]: 	...\minetest\bin\..\games\hades_revisited\mods\mobs/api.lua:2803: in function <...\minetest\bin\..\games\hades_revisited\mods\mobs/api.lua:2694>

Wuzzy

Version 0.4.4 released!

by Wuzzy » Post

Version 0.4.4 released!

Fixes crash when mob dies to fall damage.