[Game] Voxelgarden II

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

[Game] Voxelgarden II

by v-rob » Sat Apr 07, 2018 19:33

About

Voxelgarden II is a game I forked off of Voxelgarden (Duh!) and added on to. At first, I had a definite direction I wanted this game to go, but I dumped it because I realized that it would provide less gameplay than Minetest Game. So instead, I added features that I personally like and tried to integrate them in as well as possible.

I don't expect anyone to post anything, as this is just another random game. I just created this because I wanted something that I liked. Like Casimir said in the Voxelgarden thread: "It is nothing special, it is just a basic voxel game done different."

+ Features

+ Thanks to:

Screenshots

+ Spoiler

License

Code: LGPL 2.1 or later
Media: CC BY-SA

Download

GitHub: https://github.com/v-rob/Voxelgarden-II
Zip: https://github.com/v-rob/Voxelgarden-II ... master.zip

Have fun!

texmex

GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: texmex

Re: [Game] Voxelgarden II

by texmex » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:41

Looks good, v-rob. I've thought of building upon Voxelgarden myself at times, so it's good to see it live on.

Just curious, what was the gist of the "definite direction" you first had in mind?

texmex

by texmex » Tue May 01, 2018 10:12

A few thoughts:
- Put breath bar somewhere else so that there's no odd space where it hides
- Why a stone pickaxe as initial stuff? It allows for bypassing wooden tools completely.
- Are there any dangers, perhaps at night?
- Some homedecor items looks quite non-voxel and out of place.
- I'm struck by how similar this beefed up version of Voxelgarden is to my current game efforts, looking at the low-tech and even the player stepheight solution.

v-rob

GitHub: v-rob

by v-rob » Tue May 01, 2018 23:33

texmex wrote:A few thoughts:
- Put breath bar somewhere else so that there's no odd space where it hides
- Why a stone pickaxe as initial stuff? It allows for bypassing wooden tools completely.
- Are there any dangers, perhaps at night?
- Some homedecor items looks quite non-voxel and out of place.
- I'm struck by how similar this beefed up version of Voxelgarden is to my current game efforts, looking at the low-tech and even the player stepheight solution.

- I'm not certain how to organize HUD elements properly. I'll try to fix it again.
- I don't remember why I did that. I probably had a reason, but I forgot :). I want to find a solution that forces the player to get a full set of wooden tools before stone since wooden tools are all but useless.
- Unfortunately, no. This was part of the original game plan that got ditched because I don't know any good dangers. Mobs are the obvious choice, but there are so many mobs mods, and I don't know what to pick. I've tried mobs_redo, but I didn't have much luck. It does seem strange to have spears, bows, and arrows with no mobs.
- Actually, furniture was made especially for ruins. Not ruins that are just a pile of rubble, but mostly intact ruins. But, since I don't know how to spawn ruins very well and the villages mod is rather buggy in a few ways, ruins never got implemented and thus furniture wasn't removed.

texmex

by texmex » Wed May 02, 2018 08:25

v-rob wrote:- I'm not certain how to organize HUD elements properly. I'll try to fix it again.

One solution for the hudbars would be to put them as a stack in the bottom left, with breath on the top or bottom.

v-rob wrote:- Actually, furniture was made especially for ruins. Not ruins that are just a pile of rubble, but mostly intact ruins. But, since I don't know how to spawn ruins very well and the villages mod is rather buggy in a few ways, ruins never got implemented and thus furniture wasn't removed.

I've had quite good results with decorations as schematic spawning method, try using spawn_by and num_spawn_by extensively.

One more issue is that trees with multiple nodes as base often spawn on the ground, not in it (on hills for example). A solution to that can be to use place_offset_y = -1 in those tree decoration definitions.

azekill_DIABLO

GitHub: azekillDIABLO
In-game: azekill_DIABLO

twoelk

GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Tue May 08, 2018 20:40

iirc Dan Duncombe made the currency mod for VanessaE's old dreambuilder Survival server. He actually made or forked quite a few mods while active on that server. The first barter tables in minetest history stood in front of his shop at spawn. :-P

Return to WIP Games