[WIP] [Game] Voxel Knights

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

[WIP] [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Sat Feb 16, 2019 16:36

Voxel Knights

A WIP RPG based on Skyrim and Spiral Knights. Requires Minetest 5.0+
I'll have screenshots when there's something exciting to show

ContentDB: https://content.minetest.net/packages/L ... l_knights/
Github: https://github.com/LoneWolfHT/voxel_knights
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/66JVKC9

Licenses vary, see the mod folders for their license. If a mod is missing a license let me know.

This is still heavily WIP, right now you can only really spectate my progress
Last edited by Lone_Wolf on Fri Nov 08, 2019 03:30, edited 2 times in total.
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

User avatar
theblackwolf
Member
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 23:54
Location: Greensburg Louisiana
In-game: TheBlackWolf_MT

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by theblackwolf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 14:05

Hi there fellow wolf :) I'd like to wish u the best of luck in ur creation! ^.^ It sounds like it's gonna b really cool! :D
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Wed Feb 20, 2019 16:05

theblackwolf wrote:Hi there fellow wolf :) I'd like to wish u the best of luck in ur creation! ^.^ It sounds like it's gonna b really cool! :D

Hi lol
Thanks! I'll do my best
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

Skamiz Kazzarch
Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 20:34
Location: la lojbaugag.
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 15:25

So I tried this out yesterday.
I did enjoy it quite a bit for as long as it lasted.

The two major issuess I had are both fireslime related. For one the fire cube felt way to rare, after grinding up to some 400 xp without any in sight I increased thier dropchance to 1 in 10, which felt much more fitting with the following progres. For the other, fighting them is a pain. All it takes to get set on fire is a tiny bit of lag. And lag seems to be a given with luaentities in this game. :(
I have yet to reach the middle of the fireslime maze.
Actualy another minor thing that comes to mind is that the 'on fire' overlay hides the health display, which hapens to be something I am heavily interested in while on fire.

The gameplay is very unique in the minetest sphere. I am very much exited to see how this will develope in the future.
Are you interested in suggestions?
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 16:21

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:So I tried this out yesterday.
I did enjoy it quite a bit for as long as it lasted.

The two major issuess I had are both fireslime related. For one the fire cube felt way to rare, after grinding up to some 400 xp without any in sight I increased thier dropchance to 1 in 10, which felt much more fitting with the following progres. For the other, fighting them is a pain. All it takes to get set on fire is a tiny bit of lag. And lag seems to be a given with luaentities in this game. :(

I test this game with a powerful computer. So I have trouble finding lag lol. I'm hoping to eventually host a server. Might help with the lag if your internet is good. You'll be able to do multiplayer dungeon raids then too.
I'm going to make monsters drop coins soon. You'll then be able to buy items from traders, like sword handles, blades, and fire/ice cubes. That'll make it slightly easier to get the cubes. Drop chance is now 1/17 though.
I'm also going to add a whole 'ice section' to the game. Which will hold ice swords that have a chance of freezing monsters (Need to make the current fireswords have a chance of burning mobs), ice monsters that can freeze you, ice bombs, ice bows, ect

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:I have yet to reach the middle of the fireslime maze.

Yeah. I think I overdid that map
I'm pretty sure it'll be easier in the next update. I made some changes to how many monsters spawned

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:Actualy another minor thing that comes to mind is that the 'on fire' overlay hides the health display, which hapens to be something I am heavily interested in while on fire.

The gameplay is very unique in the minetest sphere. I am very much exited to see how this will develope in the future.
Are you interested in suggestions?

Suggestions are always welcome.

I may eventually make something that allows players to create their own maps. I'll probably leave that for later though.

The armor is currently messed up. I'm going to create my own mod and use a custom player model. Some of them might even block burning attacks ;P

I'll probably be doing my own quest mod too. Current one isn't exactly what I need

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stop talking and get to coding all the features I've planned for the next update...
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

Skamiz Kazzarch
Member
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 20:34
Location: la lojbaugag.
GitHub: Skamiz
In-game: Skamiz

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Skamiz Kazzarch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 17:26

I have just compleated the lava slime maze!

Lone_Wolf wrote:Suggestions are always welcome.

Whelp, you asked for it.
Secrets! Secrets in the overworld, secret compartments in the walls, secret doors, walls which can be passed through.
When I climbed on top of the tower I was sorely dissapointed that there wasn't anything.
Wapons with longer reach. For more tactical fighting .Also maybe throwing weapons, shooting weapons. Maybe magic?
A slot in the inventory to carry a lantern, which provides cariable light. a-la 'minetest-illumination' or 'wielded_light'. There could be several tiers of brightnes. Magical lightsources which reveal secrets, anyone?
I noticed that some of the places in the slime maze are praticaly pitch black. This would also allow for a compleatly dark area. Which also acts as a natural barier, instead of the very artificail "you don't have the right equipmant yet".
Paying for equipment crafting with experience feels weired, I would sugest that either mobs drop money or even better they drop loot which can be sold for money. That then can be spent on various crafting ingredients.
A reward for going deepr into the dungeon, instead of returning to spawn after each room. Also a penalty for dieing or alternatively a reward for compleating the room.
Maybe an experience reward for compleating the room which increases for each room compleated in one run?

Will there be a leveling system?

Lone_Wolf wrote:I may eventually make something that allows players to create their own maps. I'll probably leave that for later though.


aww, I am actualy interested in making maps for this. What is your current process for it?
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 18:28

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:I have just compleated the lava slime maze!

Lone_Wolf wrote:Suggestions are always welcome.

Whelp, you asked for it.
Secrets! Secrets in the overworld, secret compartments in the walls, secret doors, walls which can be passed through.
When I climbed on top of the tower I was sorely dissapointed that there wasn't anything.
Wapons with longer reach. For more tactical fighting .Also maybe throwing weapons, shooting weapons. Maybe magic?
A slot in the inventory to carry a lantern, which provides cariable light. a-la 'minetest-illumination' or 'wielded_light'. There could be several tiers of brightnes. Magical lightsources which reveal secrets, anyone?
I noticed that some of the places in the slime maze are praticaly pitch black. This would also allow for a compleatly dark area. Which also acts as a natural barier, instead of the very artificail "you don't have the right equipmant yet".
Paying for equipment crafting with experience feels weired, I would sugest that either mobs drop money or even better they drop loot which can be sold for money. That then can be spent on various crafting ingredients.
A reward for going deepr into the dungeon, instead of returning to spawn after each room. Also a penalty for dieing or alternatively a reward for compleating the room.
Maybe an experience reward for compleating the room which increases for each room compleated in one run?

Will there be a leveling system?

Lone_Wolf wrote:I may eventually make something that allows players to create their own maps. I'll probably leave that for later though.


aww, I am actualy interested in making maps for this. What is your current process for it?

I posted a quick tutorial on the Discord server. Which I've added to the OP.
Code: Select all
How to make a map
* Start a Voxel Knights world with Worldedit enabled
* Create a base for your dungeon room
* Create a dungeon room.
    * Use 'map:spawn_pos' to choose where the player will spawn. Only use 1
    * Search 'monster' in the creative inventory to view the gate node and monster spawners
    * Monster spawners don't spawn monsters if you have the creative privilege
    * gate spawners spawn the mobs when the room's gate has been opened
    * Do not place more than one gate per map. This will hopefully be fixed soon
    * Use map:pickaxe to dig nodes
    * Do not place storage chests or utility tables in the room
* Select your dungeon with Worldedit and run //mtschemsave <map name>
* Post the schematic here/PM me the schematic + schem license and I'll check it out. If I see not reason not to I'll add it

Requires Worldedit skills.
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Sun Mar 10, 2019 19:05

Skamiz Kazzarch wrote:I have just compleated the lava slime maze!

Lone_Wolf wrote:Suggestions are always welcome.

Whelp, you asked for it.
Secrets! Secrets in the overworld, secret compartments in the walls, secret doors, walls which can be passed through.
When I climbed on top of the tower I was sorely dissapointed that there wasn't anything.
Wapons with longer reach. For more tactical fighting .Also maybe throwing weapons, shooting weapons. Maybe magic?
A slot in the inventory to carry a lantern, which provides cariable light. a-la 'minetest-illumination' or 'wielded_light'. There could be several tiers of brightnes. Magical lightsources which reveal secrets, anyone?
I noticed that some of the places in the slime maze are praticaly pitch black. This would also allow for a compleatly dark area. Which also acts as a natural barier, instead of the very artificail "you don't have the right equipmant yet".
Paying for equipment crafting with experience feels weired, I would sugest that either mobs drop money or even better they drop loot which can be sold for money. That then can be spent on various crafting ingredients.
A reward for going deepr into the dungeon, instead of returning to spawn after each room. Also a penalty for dieing or alternatively a reward for compleating the room.
Maybe an experience reward for compleating the room which increases for each room compleated in one run?

Will there be a leveling system?

Secrets - Planned

Ranged weapons - Bows and bombs are planned

Wield light - Little laggy and not sure how I feel about it. The slime maze takes advantage of darkness to hide slimes and spikes right now
I might eventually do something about the requirements. But a new player stands no chance at all in the fire slime maze. That would be what I call the barrier :P

Rewards for finishing a room is a good idea. I'll see what I can do about that...
Once there are more weapons I'll have some more drops to be used in weapon crafts
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

Chem871
Member
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 21:49
Location: SCP-2935
GitHub: Chemguy99
In-game: Dwaba_Kukai

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Chem871 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 19:32

Dungeons could get harder the deeper you go.
What is SCP-055 again? I forgot.
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 19:50

Chem871 wrote:Dungeons could get harder the deeper you go.

I'll eventually make it so you go to the next level of dungeons once you reach a certain depth. That way a level 1 person doesn't get *too* large of reward per completed dungeon when raiding
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf

Re: [WIP] [Game] Voxel Knights

by Lone_Wolf » Fri Nov 08, 2019 05:07

Welp, it's been a while...

A few months ago I put up a Minetest server for this, 2 other players joined. And it was so laggy it hardly worked at all. I ended up taking the server down because I was unable to fix the lag. The server wasn't at fault. It was all mod code.

A month or two after that I decided to rewrite everything from scratch, instead of borrowing mods for almost everything I wanted to do. That way I could make it as efficient as possible (assuming I know what efficient is) and not have code/features I wasn't using.

I've made some progress so far. But it isn't playable yet. I have a bit of work to do before then
The mapgen is flat with some modifications, so there are lakes, hills, and mountains.
Since the mapgen is flat there is surprisingly a lot of flat land. Perfect for spawning structures like villages:

(WIP, village schematics take a while to create. But now that the code is done the schematic part is the only thing I have to do to create new structures)
Image

As you can see there are also trees scattered around the map. I plan on adding some more life to the map later but right now I'm working on getting some basic gameplay done. There will be a lot more structures later on, including things like infinite dungeons that get harder the deeper you go ;)

Most of my activity will be posted in Discord. But I'll be posting a little here too
Content DB -|- Working on Voxel Knights
 

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
Location: Hopefully very far from yours, snoop :P
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf
In-game: Lone_Wolf
 


Return to WIP Games



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests