[Game] Exile 0.2.2

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile 0.2.2

by Mantar » Post

Yeah, I figured a strip or two of plain brown undergarments would suffice, although when digging around trying to find some suitably licensed minecraft skins to lift, I saw a couple of no-details nude skins that I think would have suited the game's art style well if there had been any license or contact information. (Which there was not. On virtually any of the skins I saw. Kind of a big waste of time, actually.)
Dokimi wanted to do random skins, which is doable, but we'd need some base skins to randomize from, at least two for male and female. I think it would be neat if we had more, because the exiles are coming from some kind of fantasy world it'd be neat if they had some variations. Maybe add in some pulp fantasy skin colors, like green men, and blue men, and ashen grey men, or perhaps there could be cyclops men. You'd get a weird mix on a multiplayer server. Skin colors could be randomly applied, perhaps using a hash of the exiling nations name so you'd get similar colors from a given nation, but features like being a cyclops or whatever would probably have to be in the base skin.
Then we could apply decorative layers like scars, maybe tribal tattoos. I'm pretty sure there's a skin library type mod or two I could port into Exile and modify to do all that.

While I doubt they'd steal your underwear, it does occur to me that this particular kind of "exile" is really intended to be execution by another name. They kick you through the portal with no possessions but a sign detailing who you are, what you did to get sent here, and ending with some variation of "have fun dying, jerk!" So they might. But I'm not going to add in underwear crafting, so it might as well be on the skin.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Mantar wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 18:20
Yeah, I figured a strip or two of plain brown undergarments would suffice, although when digging around trying to find some suitably licensed minecraft skins to lift, I saw a couple of no-details nude skins that I think would have suited the game's art style well if there had been any license or contact information. (Which there was not. On virtually any of the skins I saw. Kind of a big waste of time, actually.)
Dokimi wanted to do random skins, which is doable, but we'd need some base skins to randomize from, at least two for male and female. I think it would be neat if we had more, because the exiles are coming from some kind of fantasy world it'd be neat if they had some variations. Maybe add in some pulp fantasy skin colors, like green men, and blue men, and ashen grey men, or perhaps there could be cyclops men. You'd get a weird mix on a multiplayer server. Skin colors could be randomly applied, perhaps using a hash of the exiling nations name so you'd get similar colors from a given nation, but features like being a cyclops or whatever would probably have to be in the base skin.
Then we could apply decorative layers like scars, maybe tribal tattoos. I'm pretty sure there's a skin library type mod or two I could port into Exile and modify to do all that.

While I doubt they'd steal your underwear, it does occur to me that this particular kind of "exile" is really intended to be execution by another name. They kick you through the portal with no possessions but a sign detailing who you are, what you did to get sent here, and ending with some variation of "have fun dying, jerk!" So they might. But I'm not going to add in underwear crafting, so it might as well be on the skin.
Randomised skins would be really cool. The layering of features, skin tones etc. sounds great, but it seems like it might be a bit of a headache to implement? Keep in mind though, I'm a programming novice.

It really like the flavour of the Notice of Exile gives the game. It occurred to me that there's a few different ways you can play it:

1. You take the Note of Exile as gospel and imagine your characters "before life" using the description in the note, pretending that it really happened. This either means you accept your character was guilty of the crimes they were accused of, or that they were framed somehow.

2. You take only what happens from the game start as gospel. You wake up with no memory of your past, only finding a Note of Exile on your body, it tells you that you had a name and what you were sent here for. It could all be lies or it could be true. Your memory might have been wiped...or maybe this is how you came to be - in some cosmic prank by some eldritch deity.

But back to down to earth:

There's still some existing features in Exile that could probably be polished up.

One in particular is how exhaustion/low energy works. The most noticeable sign for me is that you can't jump anymore, but for some reason, it seems to kick in at different energy values. I like that Exile is challenging and this is one of the things that makes it unforgiving, but maybe it could still be tweaked to make the 'no jumping' thing kick in less quickly.

It's also a bit inconsistent that I can't 'jump' up a single block (let's face it, since there's no actual slopes in MT, this might as well be walking up a tiny incline) but I can do a bunch of other things that in reality would require much more energy, e.g. dig a whole bunch of nodes, put out fires, craft, swim around, fight spiders and only much later perish stuck down at sea-level. Interestingly enough, you can still climb a ladder, so if you make a stick ladder up each block, you're able to get back to base.

If indeed the game is to expand, maybe some of the challenge that currently comes from this extreme jumping/walking uphill handicap could be expressed through other environmental hazards, mobs, etc. It just feels funny that 95% of my deaths so far have been essentially due to not being able to walk uphill anymore.

runs

by runs » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 18:54
Mantar wrote:

Randomised skins would be really cool. The layering of features, skin tones etc. sounds great, but it seems like it might be a bit of a headache to implement? Keep in mind though, I'm a programming novice.
My player_api(z) does already that. Male and female base skins and models, then parts for the face (eye colors, skin tones...) and composed clothing.

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

it wa s a common execution to "weather " people. leave them in the wilderness with no way to survive . swim or stink . no under wear to make them die sooner.

you cna say what about caveman. but you have to remember ancient civilizations were populated by neolithic farmers . they were short and their teeth were broken up from eating nothing but bread . they were like millineaals . so they could not survive outside.

but cave men existed still. and some of them were cave men ancestors in hiding. and they could survive.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

freshreplicant wrote:
There's still some existing features in Exile that could probably be polished up.

One in particular is how exhaustion/low energy works. The most noticeable sign for me is that you can't jump anymore, but for some reason, it seems to kick in at different energy values.
I usually keep some sticks in my inventory at all times because they're so useful. You can use them to make improvised ramps by attaching one to the node you're trying to climb and then stepping up on it, no jumping needed.
The mechanics are a little weird and opaque. Your jump height is affected by your energy, but also your hunger, your thirst, your health, and the temperature if it's high or low enough. All that together can be a little unclear to the player, but I'm not sure what, if anything, to do about that. Numbers could be tweaked, but it would require a lot of testing and/or thought to improve things without making the game too forgiving.

Maybe I could see about plugging the natural slopes mod in. It could make the landscape look nicer, make the jump penalties less brutal and abrupt, and further differentiate Exile visually from your average voxel block game.
runs wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 01:26
Mantar wrote:
My player_api(z) does already that. Male and female base skins and models, then parts for the face (eye colors, skin tones...) and composed clothing.
Yeah, that's one of the things I was thinking of, though I wasn't sure what the feature list was offhand. I've found your stuff to be pretty high quality. That may be just the solution Exile needs; I'll have to take a look at what will be required to port it in. Exile already has a player_api, but I think it's just the stock one from default_game.

Also I posted a torch throwing bugfix this morning. When I was cleaning up the code to post on git, I got a little overzealous, kinda thought itemstack was passed as a reference rather than a copy for some reason, and so moved the lines that take your torch into a spot where they didn't belong, and the result was infinite torches. I caught that one last night as soon as I tried throwing a torch with creative turned off, oops!

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

Hmmm... Been a bit of discussion since I last checked!
cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 15:55
I hope it can become a community project and kept alive by the fans ...
freshreplicant wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 14:45
...There's definitely a few things that could be ironed out or tweaked, but I'd love if this game could become a proper community game with enough maintainers and developers to keep refining it and maybe even add stuff to it. Mods for exile would be cool too.
I hope so too. It has reached the point where it is becoming bigger than just me doing it for my own entertainment.

freshreplicant wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09
.. If this community maintained Exile things gains speed, it would also be good to see that people can donate a bit to creators somehow (probably doesn't make sense to have pooled donations, but making people aware about individual means to donate).
This is often overlooked (or feels like a money grubbing nag), but it is important. All things must receive their reward or they cannot sustain their existence.
e.g. my reward has been getting to play a game that's perfectly how I like it, but at some point the reward is not enough to justify the effort, which makes it harder for me to sustain personally (especially while being a broke ass in a world gone insane!)

Mantar wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:44
I have to say, I gave Minecraft's survival mode a try recently, and all I could think while doing so was "man, this is kinda dull and haphazardly designed for a multi-million-dollar-development commercial game. Exile is so much better than this, and it's basically still in beta."
Thank you! And yeah, Exile still has huge game play gaps, especially late game. The big thing I want is something akin to the Rimworld storyteller. Part of the idea of Exile is that should put your decision making skills to the test. So I would like something that throws dilemmas at you e.g. like the "Trolley problem" or the "Prisoner's dilemma" and then you see how you would actually behave.
Effei_Gloom wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 20:43
Feels impressively real ...
thx you very much for creating EXILE
Your welcome! Sounds like the game is succeeding at having a bit of a narrative feel. I like the idea of stories emerging naturally out of the game.
Polymechanos wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 00:14
Thanks! I plan to--especially after this last update. I just haven't had a spare moment in a while. Hoping that'll change soon.

I watched those. Very funny. I laughed a lot.
DreamsInBlocks wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 04:46
... The ritual of descending to the ironstone catacomb is surprisingly comforting, and quietly informs my real, suburban, yet equally mortal self about Reality.
That's really cool to hear. That effect is what I was aiming for, indeed its the guiding principle of Exile - to have those kinds of moments.
Mantar wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 20:47
I did a little coding on my own branch of the game. ...
Interesting... :-)

Now we get into the awkward admin side of project management. A warning - I'm not the greatest for checking the quality of code, merging pull requests etc.

Regarding this becoming a community project... we would benefit from having someone who is good at coding/admin who can be admin for a main repository, make sure garbage doesn't get merged in etc. (I'm not the right person for that).
Mantar wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 00:27
... and there's Dokimi's issues/todo text in the docs folder,
FYI, this file is just anything I noticed or thought of while playing. Not a complete up to date bug list, may contain bad ideas, delusion ramblings etc :-)

Mantar wrote:
Dokimi wanted to do random skins, which is doable,
... because the exiles are coming from some kind of fantasy world it'd be neat if they had some variations. Maybe add in some pulp fantasy skin colors, like green men, and blue men, and ashen grey men, or perhaps there could be cyclops men. ...
This is part of the New Life = New Character idea. I have no idea how to code it, which is why it's not in there already.

Side note about fantasy: Personally I'm more into sci-fi... but, I was going for ambiguity... is it science or is it magic? So, you could have cyclops that people believe are magic, but with hints that maybe this was the result of genetic engineering.

freshreplicant wrote:
One in particular is how exhaustion/low energy works. The most noticeable sign for me is that you can't jump anymore, but for some reason, it seems to kick in at different energy values. I like that Exile is challenging and this is one of the things that makes it unforgiving, but maybe it could still be tweaked to make the 'no jumping' thing kick in less quickly.

It's also a bit inconsistent that I can't 'jump' up a single block (let's face it, since there's no actual slopes in MT, this might as well be walking up a tiny incline) but I can do a bunch of other things that in reality would require much more energy, e.g. dig a whole bunch of nodes, put out fires, craft, swim around, fight spiders and only much later perish stuck down at sea-level.
All heath stuff kicks in at thresholds (same as when HUD color changes). That's just how the code ended up. Perhaps it could be made continuous e.g. lose 1% energy = lose 1% jump. But that's a big rewrite.

I agree with inconsistency (especially crafting), again hard to code.
Mantar wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 17:33

Exile already has a player_api, but I think it's just the stock one from default_game.
The player API etc was from some pack (with 3d armor and heaps of other things). I used it instead of default Minetest so I could do clothes. Might be better stuff out there (as Runs has suggested).

~~~~
Okay, that was a lot!
hope all is going well for everyone

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 17:33
I usually keep some sticks in my inventory at all times because they're so useful. You can use them to make improvised ramps by attaching one to the node you're trying to climb and then stepping up on it, no jumping needed.
The mechanics are a little weird and opaque. Your jump height is affected by your energy, but also your hunger, your thirst, your health, and the temperature if it's high or low enough. All that together can be a little unclear to the player, but I'm not sure what, if anything, to do about that. Numbers could be tweaked, but it would require a lot of testing and/or thought to improve things without making the game too forgiving.

Maybe I could see about plugging the natural slopes mod in. It could make the landscape look nicer, make the jump penalties less brutal and abrupt, and further differentiate Exile visually from your average voxel block game.
Yeah, as I pointed out in my post though, the thing about the ladders is: you don't have the energy to walk up a single block, but you have the energy to build and place a bunch of ladders, then climb these (indefinitely)? The more extreme examples for me however would be the fact that you can still break blocks and lay them and you can swim but can't step up a single block.

I don't think Exile needs to be easier really, I just think the gameplay could benefit from shifting the difficulty into aspects where it makes sense. Maybe as the game develops, other environmental hazards, more extreme weather, more predatory animals or creatures, more extreme acceleration of hunger/thirst, etc. could take the reigns at driving the challenge instead of an immersion breaking inability to walk up a blocky incline. Part of the appeal of Exile is that there isn't tons of animals in it, but I was wondering if certain things would make sense, like having sharks in deeper water offshore, etc.

The natural slopes thing could actually be pretty interesting. Adding those and tweaking the jump penalty a bit regardless is also an option.

I noticed from watching a bit of the above Let's Play that here was a toggle-able Hud button - did this disappear? I kind of liked the icons/coloured symbols option. Personally I find that kind of abstract thing less immersion breaking that seeing a bunch of numbers and percentages floating around as if I'm a T-800 or in the cockpit of a 747.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 09:42
Regarding this becoming a community project... we would benefit from having someone who is good at coding/admin who can be admin for a main repository, make sure garbage doesn't get merged in etc. (I'm not the right person for that).
Well, I can take a stab at it, I'm familiar with the general process and github's workflow.
Dokimi wrote:
FYI, this file is just anything I noticed or thought of while playing. Not a complete up to date bug list, may contain bad ideas, delusion ramblings etc :-)
Yeah, but there are good ideas in there, too, so I've kept it in mind while looking at what to do next.
Dokimi wrote:
This is part of the New Life = New Character idea. I have no idea how to code it, which is why it's not in there already.

Side note about fantasy: Personally I'm more into sci-fi... but, I was going for ambiguity... is it science or is it magic? So, you could have cyclops that people believe are magic, but with hints that maybe this was the result of genetic engineering.
I think I can code that up.
And the thing with pulp stuff (which I love) was that it often blurred the lines between sci-fi and fantasy, and it was often unclear if guys claiming to be sorcerers had real magic, or were charlatans with tricks, or if it was just a guy who had found some ancient device and figured out how to make it do something. Sometimes they might have been all three.
Dokimi wrote:
All heath stuff kicks in at thresholds (same as when HUD color changes). That's just how the code ended up. Perhaps it could be made continuous e.g. lose 1% energy = lose 1% jump. But that's a big rewrite.

I agree with inconsistency (especially crafting), again hard to code.
Yeah, as is the threshold setup works okay for most things, but the inability to climb a one-block ledge sticks out like a sore thumb. I really think the natural slopes will be the next thing I add in, since it'll fix most of that by making it so you don't need to be able to jump just to simply move around the landscape.
Dokimi wrote:
The player API etc was from some pack (with 3d armor and heaps of other things). I used it instead of default Minetest so I could do clothes. Might be better stuff out there (as Runs has suggested).
It looks like Runs' player_api is very similar to the one we're using, but with a few benefits, so I might just drop it in.

One thing I was thinking about last time I played is if all players are in beds, maybe accelerating the time_speed setting until somebody gets up, to reduce player-facing downtime a bit.
That and my crops don't seem to be growing right; it's been like three seasons (temperate, temperate+rainy, icy cold to where nothing should grow, and now it's warming back up) since I got one lousy row of vansano, and the other two rows I had planted back then are still seedlings. I should probably look into that.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Quick updates:

I fixed some minor bugs in farming code, but whatever was wrong with my crops was fixed by digging and replanting. Apparently their node timers were unset, and I don't know how that happened. Whatever caused it probably still lurks in there somewhere.
I also fixed a crash in flora_spread.

I've now split into two branches, Master contains finished code, while Development now has the WIP natural slopes for people to try out.
The slopes work pretty well and I'm mostly pleased with how it feels, but there's an odd bug with the textures at the moment:
screenshot_20210219_001435.jpg
screenshot_20210219_001435.jpg (503.95 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
As you can see, some of the textures are right, and others aren't.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

Here's a bit more of an explanation, so people can understand my situation...

Two barriers are stopping me from continuing the project:

1. it isn’t economic. I must prioritize. Unless the project can help with my own (troubling!) economic circumstances it is becoming hard to justify the continued effort to push the project forward (I have a game now, flawed as it is, so hobby enjoyment alone isn't enough justification).

2. I keep getting road-blocked by coding problems. Most of my skills are on the design/art side. I need a team, and/or enough reason for it to be worth my while investing in boosting my coding skills.

So...
1. Do we have ideas of how to fundraise for this? (e.g. if I was to start a Patreon would enough people give me enough for it to be worthwhile? a few dollars a month just won’t be enough, it will take a more substantial amount for this to work for me.)

2. Do we have skilled coders who would want to form a team? (Mantar seems to be stepping up to the role!)

If you all want to see Exile reach its potential (at least with me still involved) then this is what it will take.

~~~~
Mantar wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 17:20
The slopes work pretty well and I'm mostly pleased with how it feels, but there's an odd bug with the textures at the moment:
As you can see, some of the textures are right, and others aren't.

Texture might be something to do with overlays?? i.e. the yellow grass is an overlay over the soil texture. (Slopes looks like a good feature though!)

Anyway, very exciting seeing someone tackle some of these bugs!
Attachments
exile_boat.png
exile_boat.png (178.21 KiB) Viewed 1213 times

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 07:46
1. it isn’t economic. I must prioritize. Unless the project can help with my own (troubling!) economic circumstances it is becoming hard to justify the continued effort to push the project forward (I have a game now, flawed as it is, so hobby enjoyment alone isn't enough justification).

2. I keep getting road-blocked by coding problems. Most of my skills are on the design/art side. I need a team, and/or enough reason for it to be worth my while investing in boosting my coding skills.
1. Do we have ideas of how to fundraise for this? (e.g. if I was to start a Patreon would enough people give me enough for it to be worthwhile? a few dollars a month just won’t be enough, it will take a more substantial amount for this to work for me.)
So...

2. Do we have skilled coders who would want to form a team? (Mantar seems to be stepping up to the role!)
I can sorta relate to 1, my financial situation is pretty bad as well, though I always manage to get by. As an alternative, github has a sponsorship option which works sort of like patreon. I gather it's pretty easy to set up.
2 is no trouble, I've been a hobbyist coder for decades, and though health problems have sidelined me, I've working on improving that situation, and it seems to be paying off recently.
Anyway, very exciting seeing someone tackle some of these bugs!
And I enjoy digging these bugs out and getting them sorted. The slopes texture bug is now fixed in latest experimental. I'm thinking next I'll play around with making the slopes configurable so I (and others) can play around with different values for the amount of slopes vs hard edges, and the rate at which neighboring tiles change to slopes when you're digging. That might not be for a bit, though.

karamel

by karamel » Post

Regarding tweaking the general slope "hardness", there is already a settingtype for the generation factor, which basically simulates the age of the landscape. If you bundle the mod into the game you should append the content of settingstype.txt from my mod to the one of the game (which doesn't seem to exist at the moment). That should be enough at least for tweaking the map generation through the configuration of the server.

I'm planning a new release of naturalslopeslib next week (not big changes though, except maybe to avoid dependencies hell), adding other configurable factors for the other types of change is not a problem (i.e. walking, time and digging/placing) so it might be for a bit and you can concentrate on sorting other bugs :)

By the way if you want the edges to "slide" when walking on them you should also add poschangelib that you can find on ContentDB, there's nothing more to do to enable this behaviour.

I also have half-a-dozen of unpublished libs that could help for realism. Well in fact a full game that hasn't reached an alpha state now. Maybe I should concentrate on putting them aside and releasing them as standalone libs.

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 07:46
So...
There's also things like Open Collective.

It may be quite difficult to get anything approaching a liveable monthly amount out of Exile. I don't really think that any Minetest project (not even Minetest itself) has anything approaching that robust a fundraising model.

I'm not necessarily saying it's not possible or that Exile "isn't worth it", but I think to get a proper monthly fundraising model rolling, it would somewhat counterintuitively require a lot of work up front and after things get rolling. First you have to get momentum and convince a critical mass off people to donate (which is already super difficult), then keep them donating with regular progress on Exile, as well as 'progress update' style content, perks, etc.

I do donate to most open source projects that I use and I am fortunate to be employed through all of this junk, but even I can't afford reoccurring donations to each project, so it's usually just once off donations outside of the mission critical stuff I use every day to earn my daily bread.

From my perspective, the most likely way forward for Exile might just be getting more shoulders for the project to rest on. Passion and time are finite resource for individuals, so hopefully with more people working on it the project can keep developing. Setting it up in such a way that if somebody needs to take a break or tap out things can still keep moving would be helpful.

Outside of that, if you really need or want to earn your money with Exile, maybe you need to look at rebuilding the project piece by piece outside the Minetest engine or something like Godot or another professional engine, set yourself up on something like itch.io and charge for it. Much, much easier said than done, I know, but the Minetest community is small and probably pretty young overall so it's a bad place to have to sustain yourself from financially. Minetest is super fun to tinker with for passion projects, but has some odd quirks and limitations, also eye-candy wise. As much as people here say it's not important, eye-candy is definitely a big part of making a marketable product.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Updates:

Added a couple bug fixes for odd crashes, and one significant change:
Previously anything placed on top of a burning fire got no hotter than being next to it, which led to silliness like a small invertebrate carcass utterly engulfed in flames and coming out raw, or players standing in their campfire and feeling the mild discomfort of 35-45 degrees celsius as flames lick their shins. That's fixed, anything directly on top of a burning campfire or charcoal will be heated much more quickly. Survivors in the wilderness can cook a food item over a campfire without building an elaborate stove. Stoves are still handy since you can cook three (or six, with a clever build) items with them at the same time.
This should make firing clay and smelting iron easier, too. Perhaps too easy? It'll take some playtesting to see.

I've been playing with natural slopes as well, but while I like its effects on the landscape, I'm unsure about some things. It makes it possible to manufacture soil via exploit -- slabs can be turned into whole blocks and then split into new slabs -- which means you'll never have to make do with silt or clay for your farm if you've got one block of loam, and not having to go and dig up a bunch and transport it to wherever your home base is skips a fair bit of gameplay.

I've found the bug that left my crops without a timer; it was staring me right in the face. It should be fixed, though testing is difficult because it's not possible to make it happen.
Growth timers are now kept when a seedling is dug up, so you can replant if you suspect a dead timer, or if your agricultural soil gets eroded by water or something.
Crop growth times are cut in half for now, since they only grow when the player is standing close by, and I don't want players to have to be glued to their crops to get them grown before winter kills them.

Get it at:
https://github.com/jeremyshannon/Exile
Optionally, pick up the Development tree to try out natural_slopes.

The future

I'm currently dealing with farming. I discovered non-mushroom crops sometimes grow at night, even though low light levels should stop it. Something's very strange, and I've yet to identify what's causing that.

My next real project will be to make use of the node timer's "elapsed" variable, which tracks how long it's been since the last timer update, to allow plants re-entering the player's reality bubble to catch up on any missed growth,
This is trivial for underground mushrooms, where it's always dark and never rains and the temperature is stable, but for surface plants it will require some tracking of rain and temperature at least.
The good news is weather is universal across the map, and rain has only two states we care about, (yes/no) and temperature just three, (growing fine/stunted growth/dead seedling temperatures) so it's not a lot of data to store, but it's still going to be tricky, a chore to implement, and probably a source of bugs if I'm not careful.
Also, life.lua is huge and unwieldy, I may try to find a way to simplify it a bit.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Bugfixes

Plants weren't getting their full growth period set, that's fixed. Also, crafting something with a full inventory will now drop it at your feet.

----

Still in planning stages on how to make crops catch up on growing time that was lost while unloaded. I've got a basic design worked out, but I'd like to also add the ability to have time accelerate while all players are in bed, which is creating some complex interactions that have to be resolved before I start to code -- that feature might have to go out the window to keep things sane.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Mantar wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 22:55

Updates:

I've been playing with natural slopes as well, but while I like its effects on the landscape, ...
Tested your code with natural slopes and I must say its great.

Now Exile is even more about to choose the right path, even when you walk around.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Update

A bugfix for a rare crash in animals.api, and the ability to select Fahrenheit, Celsius, or Kelvin for temperature display. The Development branch now allows you to adjust the naturalslopes settings, too.
More settings will be showing up in the future.

Also:
Fixed a bug where you could have temperature penalties for resting in warm weather while the HUD wasn't yellow
Prevented entering a bed while moving, so you don't slide off and away anymore.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 22:54

Update

Hi Mantar,
where can I create a pull request (bugfix) for the 'on top of fire cooking'. Can you invite me to your github fork?
My account name on github is: torstenschenk

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Just wanted to say I'm testing the version with natural slopes - I am also liking it!

Has anyone noticed an issue where if you are lying on a sleeping mat and the change to third person, you appear to be standing up?

Another weird situation I got caught in that if you are resting on the mat, but there's a bunch of dropped objects on the mat, you can't click it to get back up. Maybe it'd be good to have an optional key to get up (if there isn't already).

A good while ago I discovered a weird bug where you were lying on a sleeping spot in a narrow pit, you started to levitate. Haven't tried to reproduce it recently, so I'll see if it still happens in the latest versions.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Effei_Gloom wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 23:31
Hi Mantar,
where can I create a pull request (bugfix) for the 'on top of fire cooking'. Can you invite me to your github fork?
My account name on github is: torstenschenk
You don't need to be invited or anything; you just need to fork it to your github, make a branch, make your changes, and submit a PR. I've cobbled together a guide and added it as CONTRIBUTING.md in the main directory. It assumes you're using command-line git.
You can actually do everything through github's web interface, though I wouldn't recommend it.
freshreplicant wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 00:07
Just wanted to say I'm testing the version with natural slopes - I am also liking it!
Yeah, it makes the game feel different, which is nice, and it makes the jump penalty more sensible. You have to consider whether it's safe to jump that gorge, not whether it's possible to walk the thirty feet back to your house.
Has anyone noticed an issue where if you are lying on a sleeping mat and the change to third person, you appear to be standing up?
No, but I've added it to my (rapidly shrinking, yay) list of bugs to look into.
Another weird situation I got caught in that if you are resting on the mat, but there's a bunch of dropped objects on the mat, you can't click it to get back up. Maybe it'd be good to have an optional key to get up (if there isn't already).
Seems kind of like a niche problem, but I think something could be done. Maybe I could intercept the jump key?
A good while ago I discovered a weird bug where you were lying on a sleeping spot in a narrow pit, you started to levitate. Haven't tried to reproduce it recently, so I'll see if it still happens in the latest versions.
Yeah, if you can figure out how to make a bug happen, that goes a long way to fixing it. There was a bug submitted for players dying in bed that I've been unable to reproduce, so just don't know what to fix there.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

pull request up

Addressing food disappearing into thin air during cooking. Now Exiles have the opportunity to examine the result on severely burnt food.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yeah, that's good stuff. Burned food was something I wanted for a while now!

I've added the ability to configure or disable the break taker notifications, which was requested under Dokimi's issues.
For Development, I've added the ability to disable natural slopes and change the amount of slopes that appear on mapgen; what's more I've split the natural slopes out from player-crafted stairs and slabs. This closes the minor exploit that let you manufacture, for example, loam (the best farming soil) by splitting blocks into slabs and then transforming each slab back to a block.

I'm thinking natural slopes are about ready to merge into master, and then it might be time to tag a point release and see about getting it up on the contentdb.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Natural Slopes:
we should set default:
> naturalslopeslib_enable_shape_on_dig_place = false
So natural slopes does not interfere with Exiles building something. My tests showed that trying to make some mudholes ended in a fight to remove stairs that appeared by itself. An alternative would be to add it only to sand which should not be used to building something anyway. (in case its possible without overhead).

Farming:
Ingame it often happens that soil instead of being changed to depleted, it just vaporizes.
What shall be the progress of farming soil?
Clay Agric Soil -> (bychance) -> Depleted Clay Agric Soil -> (bychange) -> Clay
or just the first two?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Shape_on_dig_place is defaulted to false in settingtypes already, so that's more or less taken care of. I don't know if we can make it work only on sand, I'd have to check.

Tilled soil can get depleted, but it can also be eroded. Since the soil is turned up and loosened, it can be washed away by nearby water, or by rain if it's exposed to the air. This is basically a sink for wood ash, and requires a bit of upkeep on your farm. You can generally prevent it by planting something on the tile. Flowing water appearing on any neighboring node can still potentially wash it away, but that's not a common thing to have happen.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Mantar wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 17:32
Shape_on_dig_place is defaulted to false in settingtypes already, so that's more or less taken care of. I don't know if we can make it work only on sand, I'd have to check.

Tilled soil can get depleted, but it can also be eroded. Since the soil is turned up and loosened, it can be washed away by nearby water, or by rain if it's exposed to the air. This is basically a sink for wood ash, and requires a bit of upkeep on your farm. You can generally prevent it by planting something on the tile. Flowing water appearing on any neighboring node can still potentially wash it away, but that's not a common thing to have happen.
Made some Tests, you are right it's ok.