[Game] Exile 0.2.2

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

[Game] Exile 0.2.2

by Dokimi » Post

Exile is a challenging, at times brutal wilderness survival game with simple technology.

Use your wits to find food, water, and shelter before succumbing to the elements, while exploring the mysterious world, and developing your capacities to endure your exile.

Features:
Player health effects: hypothermia, exhaustion,...
Dynamic nature with: Seasonal weather, erosion, soil water flows...
Building matters: make shelters from the rain, kilns, iron smelters, water reservoirs,...

Development status:
Exile is in alpha: it is a playable game, but expect bugs, missing features, balance, and performance issues.
Current status: on hold

DOWNLOAD
View source code at https://github.com/DokimiCU/Exile

Attachments
background.2.png
background.2.png (358.35 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
header.png
header.png (5.76 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
background.2.png
background.2.png (357.8 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
Last edited by Dokimi on Wed Dec 30, 2020 00:12, edited 8 times in total.

Dokimi

Re: [Game] Exile 0.1

by Dokimi » Post

This is my attempt at making a coherent game that is more than mere mod salad. Much of the content is original, or adapted to work for Exile.

So far it's a pretty good game, but (once again...) I've started to reach my limits with it. There's a big list of bugs and desired features in the Readme, but don't be surprised if I never work on this again!

Have fun with it. Warning this can be hard! But hopefully just the right level of hard ;-)

TheGreatCoffeeKing99
In-game: Coffee99

by TheGreatCoffeeKing99 » Post

Hello Dokimi,

I downloaded the game and so far it is just fine. However, I do have a question: How can I sleep? My character is soundly on the sleeping mat, but no time is skipped nor is any energy restored. I also think that the crafting spots are too difficult to tell apart in low light (which is common so far). Finally, I would appreciate a guide or beginner's guide to the game. There are things I do not understand.

Thanks for making this awesome game, it's been great so far!
Hi. I don't have any published mods yet.

texmex
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

by texmex » Post

Looks good, Dokimi! It’s close to my game’s theme as well so I’ll be very interested in the body temperature algos etc.

Alexithymia
In-game: Alexithymia

by Alexithymia » Post

Very nice game! Can't wait to see what's next.
eBhS3hNVqfVZoT8iGqE3M9NV1ZJv4ud1

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

This looks like a neat game. Congrats on a new subscriber and player
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

TheGreatCoffeeKing99 wrote:How can I sleep?
Sleep only restores energy. Better quality beds restore faster
- Be under shelter (Actually dark. Low light was the best proxy I could figure out).
- Be in comfortable temperature

Beginners guide:
My idea was to push people to experiment and learn. A game with secrets.
That said, balance may be wrong! (Too hard, too obscure etc)

Let's see what I can remember! Some tips:
- Beds (like above) are important. If you're exhausted you get hypothermia/heat stroke
- Weather: extremes sap your energy. Like real life, walking around in a snowstorm is a bad idea!
- Temperature. Build a shelter, with a fire place or lots of torches. You can also go underground.
- Water: you can drink cave drips (click them). Water pots are key. Collect rain water, or from wet soil.
- Ovens, kilns, furnaces: build them like you would for real. A fire with access to air, and a chamber that gets heated up.
- Fires. Bigger = hotter. Charcoal is hotter than wood. (iron smelting is hard. Needs charcoal)
- Charcoal. Make it like you would for real. A wood fire with no air.
- Food: eat stuff and see if you live! You can catch animals with clubs (right click?)
- Drugs: a couple of things have useful effects...
texmex wrote:Looks good, Dokimi! It’s close to my game’s theme as well so I’ll be very interested in the body temperature algos etc.
Look at "Health", and "Climate" mods (and nodes nature and tech for things that use the Weather and Temperature e.g. fires. ). (I think so anyway... from memory!)

What's your game about (is it on forums yet?)
Alexithymia wrote:Very nice game! Can't wait to see what's next.
I don't plan on adding anything more. I'm busy with other creative projects (other than modding).

The next big thing I did want to add was a Rimworld style story teller e.g. random events. Exile is partly inspired by Rimworld, like a first person version.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Nice game! It is very buggy in general, and finicky when it comes to temperature though. But I am pleasantly surprised by the breadth and depth
Dokimi wrote: The next big thing I did want to add was a Rimworld style story teller e.g. random events. Exile is partly inspired by Rimworld, like a first person version.
Rimworld is my favourite game of all time! I've been meaning to get around to making a colonist mod for minetest
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

ElCeejo
GitHub: ElCeejo
In-game: ElCeejo

by ElCeejo » Post

Really Nice! It has it's flaws like all games do, this one is fairly buggy though. The concept is amazing and with some bug fixes this game would be amazing. I like the primitive theme and overall depth, it provides a nice challenge that most games don't offer, while not being challenging to the point where it feels like a drag to try and progress. Keep up with the amazing work and this will easily be my favorite Minetest game.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

ElCeejo wrote:... this one is fairly buggy though. The concept is amazing and with some bug fixes this game would be amazing.
I'm surprised it works at all!

My coding skills are self-taught, so I'm at a point where I don't know how to fix many of these bugs. Much of the code could likely be improved.

If people want this to progress further it might take a team effort. Just saying... :-)
ElCeejo wrote:...provides a nice challenge that most games don't offer, while not being challenging to the point where it feels like a drag to try and progress.
That was my aim.

To keep you on your toes, but never be too overwhelming.
So far it's good at punishing stupidity, and requires some creativity to survive. It does have slow points though e.g. stuck inside during winter. That's why I want a Rimworld-style story teller, to throw more challenges at you. (no idea how to make that though).

Things are at their best when life is right on the edge. When you don't know if you made the right call or not.

e.g. For one play through I was going: Oh no winter is coming, better remodel the house to fit a fire. Rip down the roof. Oh crap too late. I need a fire. Light a fire. Oh no it's raining. No roof! Fire goes out. You have died of hypothermia. Bad call!

Emerald
IRC: Emerald2
In-game: Emerald2

by Emerald » Post

This game is really cool. It's the kind of game I enjoy playing. I finally managed to successfully fire a bunch of pottery yesterday, though haven't figured out how to get enough heat for smelting yet. I set up places that reliably make charcoal so I guess if I place a bunch of that in the right way, it'll happen.

One of the people I got to start playing this game opened a PR with some multiplayer crash fixes.

The main bug that is driving me totally crazy is how the temperature works when I have a fire in the house to keep warm. I can move one node up and down with my bed and have the temperature jump all over the place. 8c and too cold to sleep, move it a node and now it's 80c and I'm dying. XD I can literally stick my bed to the ceiling a few nodes above a fire and have it be 8c. I keep dying because it's either too hot, or too cold to rest.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Emerald wrote: The main bug that is driving me totally crazy is how the temperature works when I have a fire in the house to keep warm. ....
This is the mechanism that allows furnaces and ovens. Currently it doesn't work well for open spaces. Maybe it could be improved.

It's also a build design thing. Do it wrong and you turn your house into an oven!

Try this set up:

The less air it gets the less heat it puts out. (switches between burn and smoulder, creates fewer heated air blocks). It works okay.
Attachments
exile_fireplace.jpg
exile_fireplace.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 3196 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

I should add, the screenshot in main post is really misleading! Its a stupid design, I done that before certain code changes.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

A development version is available: https://github.com/DokimiCU/Exile/tree/0.1.1

I done some bug fixing to stop it crashing, then managed to fix some of the things that had been holding me back before. I have added many major missing features (e.g. clothes, dungeon loot). Very big update.

Don't know when I'll release it properly, as I cannot confirm everything actually works...

...but if you have been playing this you might as well play the dev version. It's way better ;-)

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

Was just grabbing some dungeon loot with a couple other people I'm playing the game with. Nice to have something to find in those big dungeon type places. The darkasthaan give us a really hard time though. Darn spiders are all over the place down there.

The way temperature works seems to be more consistent, too. We haven't been dying of exhaustion due to not being able to rest indoors near fire in the winter. Used to be it was either far too hot, or not warm enough. The new clothes we've made help, too.

Really impressed with the changes you've made recently. Keep up the great work. :)

Emerald

by Emerald » Post

LOL we updated and our house fell down coz the roof was limestone blocks. Now to check out the new stuff. :D

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Emerald wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:25
LOL we updated and our house fell down coz the roof was limestone blocks. Now to check out the new stuff. :D
Ha ha. I done that too!

On that note, some things like that aren't compatible with old maps. Worst is clothing. You might get weird min-max tolerances. It should say 20-30 C with no clothes. Dying and respawning might fix it.

Best to start a new map to get all the cool dungeon stuff. Very different from old version.

Emerald wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 13:32
Was just grabbing some dungeon loot with a couple other people I'm playing the game with. Nice to have something to find in those big dungeon type places. The darkasthaan give us a really hard time though. Darn spiders are all over the place down there.

The way temperature works seems to be more consistent, too. We haven't been dying of exhaustion due to not being able to rest indoors near fire in the winter. Used to be it was either far too hot, or not warm enough. The new clothes we've made help, too.

Really impressed with the changes you've made recently. Keep up the great work. :)
Nice to see that people are enjoying it. :-)

A lot of bug fixes got done, hence why temp works better etc.

And then I added a bunch of stuff that might have bugs!

The thing that is least tested are the mobs. I'm trying to get them to have persistent populations. They only spawn once, then have to eat and breed to survive. They need to run for a long time to know if this actually works. So I'm not yet sure they wont all go extinct, or have massive population explosions.

If people find they all die/explode let me know! (which species, what conditions etc)

Thanks

Astrobe

by Astrobe » Post

I am looking for the mod that introduce the graffiti/symbols one sees on the walls in the first screenshot. Can you please tell me which mod it is? I couldn't find the textures in your source tree.

PS: nvm, found them. They are in the "tech" mod.

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Has anyone been able to get this working in latest version of Minetest?

I'm getting a major bug now (seems to be same as this issue https://github.com/DokimiCU/Exile/issues/3)

This is stopping me from releasing the update :-(

EDIT: fixed. Seems it was similar to viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25049
Now to see what other bugs remain... :-)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

...another mystery bug!

Did Minetest 5.3 change how it handles biomes/mapgen?

I've got river soils nodes all over the map, and snow dusting nodes filling the half the sky! Lol.

I was hoping to do a few quick bug fixes to bring it up to date with Minetest 5.3, then finally release the new version, but this is getting annoying! Oh well...

Edit: github issue here https://github.com/DokimiCU/Exile/issues/5.
Last edited by Dokimi on Sat Aug 01, 2020 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Lone_Wolf
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: LandarVargan
In-game: LandarVargan

by Lone_Wolf » Post

I think Wuzzy also had that issue with Mineclone2, could ask them if you're stumped
My ContentDB -|- Working on CaptureTheFlag -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 16:14
I think Wuzzy also had that issue with Mineclone2, could ask them if you're stumped
Looking a Mineclone2 was partly helpful. Confirmed I had the right fix for previous problem.

Hasn't solved this bug though. It seems the mapgen has decided the entire world is a river! (uses mgvalleys)

I don't know how to fix this, as this appears to be caused by changes to Minetest rather than a bug of my own creation...

EDIT: Fixed! It was a mapgen alias problem.

Dokimi

Re: [Game] Exile 0.2

by Dokimi » Post

Ok here it is...

Update 0.2!

This is a huge update. Better working, better looking, lots of new content.

Again, still a work in progress so expect some bugs and issues, but this is a huge step up from 0.1.

Not compatible with old maps. You'll want to start a new one anyway.

Future development:
This is now a fairly complete game. I have endless ideas, and it needs work on the code side of it. That said I have no plans. I made most of 0.1 the better part of a year ago, so that's a while between updates :-)

Have fun!

Attachments
deepcity.png
deepcity.png (615.2 KiB) Viewed 3196 times

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Are you considering hosting a server?

If not, is there anyone out there who would host a server with this game? It would be nice to play multiplayer
(maybe change the skin so it has underwear on by default tho, for a server)

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

MisterE wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 14:29
Are you considering hosting a server?

If not, is there anyone out there who would host a server with this game? It would be nice to play multiplayer
(maybe change the skin so it has underwear on by default tho, for a server)
I'm not able to host one.

I would love to see it on a server though. But remember this is WIP, so any server will likely uncover bugs, and updates may break compatibility. So far all development has been done in single player only.

~~

For skins: I had an idea that each player life should get a new random skin. Like with the sentence of exile letter. A kind of soft perma-death. New life = new character.

~~

Anyways... I have lots of ideas still, but development will need to move beyond just me if people want to see this developed further. I've spent enough time on this already!

A server might actually be a good way of moving development forward... more people with ideas and insights etc...

I'd prefer to step back from it a bit now ;-)