[Game] Exile 0.2.2

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile 0.2.2

by Mantar » Post

Hit a surprising snag yesterday: Runs' male and female models are built off a pre-2014 version of Sam, which actually lacks the mesh for capes. So now it's either live with invisible capes for now, shelve the api and go back to the more powerful but (unnecessarily) complicated multiskin model we were using, or I bust out Blender and see if the meager skills I picked up over a summer about 10 years ago are up to the task of either adding capes to runs' meshes or making a female mesh out of one of the other Sams out there. (There are a lot more variant models floating around in the Minetest community than I expected, actually)

3d modelling is not really something I wanna do though.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

How do you create charcoal in the game?
I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Same way you do IRL, more or less. You light some wood on fire and then seal it up so air can't get in, so it carbonizes rather than burning entirely. Come back a while later, charcoal. (IRL you have to watch it to be sure it doesn't go out or flare up and burn away, but watching a smoldering pile for a day or two straight was a terrible job and not a fun game)

Tip:
Spoiler
It's pretty video gamey, but slabs block air flow while allowing you to see when it's done
Not much time for coding recently, but I hope to get back at it soon.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Thanks

runs

by runs » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 18:23
Hit a surprising snag yesterday: Runs' male and female models are built off a pre-2014 version of Sam, which actually lacks the mesh for capes. So now it's either live with invisible capes for now, shelve the api and go back to the more powerful but (unnecessarily) complicated multiskin model we were using, or I bust out Blender and see if the meager skills I picked up over a summer about 10 years ago are up to the task of either adding capes to runs' meshes or making a female mesh out of one of the other Sams out there. (There are a lot more variant models floating around in the Minetest community than I expected, actually)

3d modelling is not really something I wanna do though.
Yes and no. The model is the last one with fixes. I mean this year update that resolved the sit offset.

But I remove the cape from the model cos Minetest Game deprecated it.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Ah, okay. Have you got a copy left over from before you removed the capes?

runs

by runs » Post

Mantar wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 18:34
Ah, okay. Have you got a copy left over from before you removed the capes?
No, but I could add the cape again easily.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

If you could do that, that'd be great!

runs

by runs » Post

I've investigated:
- Minetest Game never had capes.
- 3d armor has cape.

My player_apiz uses the cape slot for the female hair. But it does not uses capes.

Exile uses the Multiskin model, I guess with capes.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

runs wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 14:57
- Minetest Game never had capes.
Not so, it was merged in as of 0.4.10, see [0.4.10] Sam II and Capes! on the forum.
Exile uses the Multiskin model, I guess with capes.
Yeah, but there are a couple of nasty bugs in our setup that I haven't been able to track down, and swapping out for your version of player_api fixes them. Though I'm unsure how, since even a diff of the two doesn't show me anything that should fix what I'm looking at. I'm thinking it's some obscure interaction between player_api and the multiskin model, but I don't know where, so ripping the whole thing out may be preferable to ripping out my hair trying to solve it. :D

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I suppose I could also look into the Character Anim mod as a replacement, it seems to support capes too. I hadn't heard of it until the thread was bumped today, somehow I missed seeing it before now. I'm not sure how much work it'll be to port to it though.

Edit: Nevermind, Character Anim is a player_anim replacement, not a player_api replacement. Might still be nice to add in at some point for better animation support.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Is there a chance longbows or any other tools could be added to Exile in a future update?
It would be nice to have some starter tools to begin with.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

A longbow might be more high tech than fits the general theme. I may add an atlatl to aid in chicken hunting.
We need more wildlife, too.
Starter tools are out, though, they push you through the portal with the intent of killing you, sending tools along defeats their purposes. I'm planning on adding ruined huts of previous exiles though, and you may find a random partially-worn tool in those.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Mantar wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 19:19
A longbow might be more high tech than fits the general theme.
Longbows have been around for centuries so I wouldn’t exactly call it high tech.

Also it’s very difficult to get the material to build the first set of tools without dying of hunger or thirst in the cave systems.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

I suppose I could just as easily add the longbows into the game myself by modifying the X_bows mod.

The game does need more animals though.

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

Mantar wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 19:19
I may add an atlatl to aid in chicken hunting. We need more wildlife, too.
An atlatl would be perfect! I would love to use up the extra levers I accidentally made. LOL

I would hate to see enough wildlife that survival became easy, but it would be nice to have something that yielded more than 1% food (after expending 5% effort to kill and cook it).

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Jackknife wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 20:29
Longbows have been around for centuries so I wouldn’t exactly call it high tech.
For us, but this is not Earth. The player spends most of his time with stone age or older tech, and later is able to get into early iron making. Also production of a longbow requires cutting the tree, taking a chunk of heartwood, drying it for two years, and then beginning the slow, arduous shaping process, which traditionally took another two years. It's a high-tech product of a highly skilled craftsman. We just don't think of it that way because it's so far behind us now. And also video games make it seem like you could just tie a string to a stick and have a bow.

Longbows are probably not going in, but it's feasible to make an atlatl or a sling by yourself, and possibly a self bow for mid to late game. OTOH, the main reason bows replaced slings in our world had nothing to do with individual killing power and everything to do with the ability to pack archers tightly together so you can defend them on a battlefield. For hunting, a sling would work just fine.
Also it’s very difficult to get the material to build the first set of tools without dying of hunger or thirst in the cave systems.
This is intentional, the game is supposed to be difficult until you learn your way around it. I will say, it gets easier though. This is the difference between the graveyard in my first world, versus the graveyard in my second world.
Spoiler
Exiled:
Pictured above: the high price of learning! This sprawling graveyard contains all but about four of the player bones that I made on my way to end game.

The Pale:
The Gneiss markers are for those who did nicely (gneissly?). The first one got me all the way to iron tech, the second brought back tons of stuff from the undercity before getting killed by lava. Or was it the spiders? I forget.
Missing from here is one set of bones from when I fell into a undercity vent somewhere.
DreamsInBlocks wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 07:11
An atlatl would be perfect! I would love to use up the extra levers I accidentally made. LOL

I would hate to see enough wildlife that survival became easy, but it would be nice to have something that yielded more than 1% food (after expending 5% effort to kill and cook it).
Levers for construction? Makes a sort of sense, noted. And yeah, there are many balance issues with food and hunting and things. Mobs are kind of bullet spongy in particular. It all needs to be rationalized to some kind of order or sense, but that's a sizeable project all by itself.
Attachments
ThePale-grave.jpg
ThePale-grave.jpg (399.43 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Exiled-grave2.jpg
Exiled-grave2.jpg (557.33 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Exiled-grave1.jpg
Exiled-grave1.jpg (613.26 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

How about a sort of raft with a sail for faster travel across water?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

That seems reasonable once you've got fabric weaving for the sail. I'll toss that onto my notes.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 16:21
That seems reasonable once you've got fabric weaving for the sail. I'll toss that onto my notes.
Awesome. But Is it possible to be able to have storage for transportation within the raft/boat?
Or is that hard to do.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yeah, maybe. It would certainly make the upgrade worth all the fiber spent weaving a sail, I guess. The right click's already used for mounting/dismounting, but I guess I could override the left click when you're in the raft. Outside a boat left clicking removes it, inside it aborts and does nothing.