[Game] Exile 0.2.2

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile 0.2.1

by Mantar » Post

If you would move your workflow onto github, others could help you fix those bugs.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Polymechanos
GitHub: OPolymechanos
In-game: Polymechanos

by Polymechanos » Post

Dokimi, just wanted to say that this has been my favorite Minetest game I've ever encountered. In fact, I like this game so much I started a youtube channel just to share it. I'm still very much at the beginning of the game-play, but it's a blast.

Thanks for a great game!

hex
IRC: hecks
In-game: hex hhhehehe

by hex » Post

Have a thing, you earned it.
(You may re-use and re-license it however you want.)
Attachments
exi.png
exi.png (523.32 KiB) Viewed 2026 times

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Polymechanos wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 20:28
Dokimi, just wanted to say that this has been my favorite Minetest game I've ever encountered. In fact, I like this game so much I started a youtube channel just to share it. I'm still very much at the beginning of the game-play, but it's a blast.

Thanks for a great game!
Judging about what I've seen so far, I think this Game will be in mt Top5 list....
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

Re: [Game] Exile 0.2.2

by Dokimi » Post

Update 0.2.2

New release! Main new feature is health effects (e.g. disease, drugs, poison). Also various fixes and balancing.
I also added a Walkthrough guide for people finding it way too hard ( a common request!)

Future development:
Project is now on hold.
Might be on hold for a long time (Due to circumstances, and the fact I'm seriously hitting diminishing returns)

I know people want to see this game get better, and I know it has a horrendous number of bugs. However... this was always too ambitious for a dev team of a one person amateur coder!

Enough of my vision for Exile is now in place that others can pick up where I have left off (if it starts looking like I'll never get back to it!)

Have fun :-)

(P.S. love the fan art! That might need to become the menu background one day)
Attachments
wtbase.png
wtbase.png (613.57 KiB) Viewed 2026 times

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

Thanks for the walkthrough. It looks to be far too much information, but there was one detail I needed: It wasn't clear to me at first how to fire my pots. While I still haven't succeeded, I'll keep peeking into my structure to see if I can get them to fire.

Thanks especially for the latest numerical stats display. Changing out my vague unease for quantifiable suffering has made the game easier to cope with.

This game doesn't have the comfort and ease one expects from a Minecraft type game. After some hours and many deaths, I've made peace with my immediate surroundings. (Also, the cave spider I was rooming with eventually died, and that helped.) I wish it would rain again; my journeys for fresh water are arduous. I'm cautious of the denizens of the hills. I've been pecked half to death by a duck. My torches are out to abandon me in the dark, if not kill me -- I think I've burnt off my hair while trying to sit beneath one. I'm afraid of the bushes, even. I will continue to carry plant samples with me, so that the next time I am dying, crawling on my belly like a mudskipper, I can eat a few to learn whether the flowers are out to get me, also.

(No spoilers, please, fellow travelers. I'll do my own science.)

I truly feel like an exile in a bitter, alien landscape. This game is incredibly well thought out and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks so much for making it.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

Hi all,

I've noticed weather is not well balanced in 0.2.2 (too little summer rain). I've put a guide on github to help you all customize your own weather. Check it out if this is an issue for you, or you want to experiment

https://github.com/DokimiCU/Exile/issues/29

Future plans:
Big work on this project is looking unlikely for now. Fans of Exile might want to think of how to keep Exile going in the long run, without needing it to be reliant on my involvement.

Have fun all ;-)

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

Thanks for the pointer. I'll be experimenting with light_rain and if I get anywhere I will pass it on.

Still have not figured out how to make a working kiln, though. Am I not allowed to make it out of clay?

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 01:55
Future plans:
Big work on this project is looking unlikely for now. Fans of Exile might want to think of how to keep Exile going in the long run, without needing it to be reliant on my involvement.
I hope it can become a community project and kept alive by the fans
as this really felt like a promising game . loved the look of the generated worlds. was looking forward to giving it a proper bash when it became more established .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

DreamsInBlocks wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 20:13
Still have not figured out how to make a working kiln, though. Am I not allowed to make it out of clay?
Yeah, you can make it out of dirt, clay, whatever as long as it traps heat and doesn't catch fire. Bricks or something else that can hang in the air is ideal though.
The thing that tripped me up is that you need air blocks next to your fire to feed it, but air blocks can also carry heat away from things. Surround your fire in with a vertical O of other blocks, put the thing or things you need to fire on one side completely enclosed in solid blocks, then leave the other side open so the fire gets plenty of air. Things in need of firing need to be touching the fire on one side, edge, or corner, and have no air blocks nearby to cool them.

I have to say, I gave Minecraft's survival mode a try recently, and all I could think while doing so was "man, this is kinda dull and haphazardly designed for a multi-million-dollar-development commercial game. Exile is so much better than this, and it's basically still in beta."

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I clubbed a hacekr in this game. it was fun . I called him names after. I like this game

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

Mantar wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:44
Yeah, you can make it out of dirt, clay, whatever as long as it traps heat and doesn't catch fire. Bricks or something else that can hang in the air is ideal though...
I've finally got a couple of fired clay objects now. It looks like I may have had a couple of failures previously due to humidity, or something? I'm working through the dry winter now. Also moved the kiln out of my cave onto the field above, and loaded the firebox with a full block instead of a half box "campfire."

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

The failures probably cooled off too soon. If the fire goes out before they're done, they will shatter and collapse. This can also happen if your fire is wavering near the threshold, it'll heat up and start to fire, then cool down and shatter. A large campfire is pretty mandatory.

The fire system could probably use better discoverability. One rare feature I'd kind of like to add would be ruined huts of long-dead exiles, partially collapsed structures that you could probably tear down for a handful of non-rotten sticks, and maybe a tool inside if you're lucky, but it occurs to me there could also be a clay, earthen, or brick stove that could be repaired and used, and would serve as an example of how to build a kiln.
Mortared brick blocks aren't breakable to an exile without iron tools, but you could rebuild a partially collapsed kiln by gathering up the loose bricks. Re-mortaring them would require a pestle, otherwise you'd just have to remove and replace them whenever you replaced the fire or clay items.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Feels impressively real ...
  • committed some crimes, did not fear the punishment of EXILE
  • arrived in the land of EXILE early this year
  • felt free again, made some plans to build up a new life
  • set up camp in a nearby wet canyon
  • found out nearby water spots were salty and not drinkable
  • realized after a few days that the surroundings don't have enough resources to survive longer
  • gathered my few items and went on a long journey in search of new resources
  • died on the way by exhaustion
  • finally another 'cast out' found the skeleton
  • grabbed the rotten grass panties
  • cold weather and the early night did not give him time to bury his ancestor
  • he made it to the promised land
  • created un-fired pottery pods to collect rainwater but never finished them
  • his life turned quick into a hunt for water
  • the fresh growth of agricultural plants was inedible
  • he was hunting for nuts in 100meter high tree and fell down
  • weather turned too early to winter
  • in search for a new more shallow home he found a huge hollow tree with large aerial roots
  • changing the camp to a spot under a huge tree seemed to be a good choice
  • tree caught fire everything burned down
  • severely burned he died in the cold winter
...it feels real, try it...

thx you very much for creating EXILE

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Polymechanos wrote:

Thanks for a great game!
Liked your videos, will you continue with Exile LP6? Can't wait to watch it.

Polymechanos
GitHub: OPolymechanos
In-game: Polymechanos

by Polymechanos » Post

Effei_Gloom wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 22:21
Liked your videos, will you continue with Exile LP6? Can't wait to watch it.
Thanks! I plan to--especially after this last update. I just haven't had a spare moment in a while. Hoping that'll change soon.

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

I, for one, have enjoyed watching someone else stumble their way through this game. Quick hint: Instead of waiting for embers from your campfire to set your bedroll alight, you can burn it yourself with fire sticks, like I did once. Or twice. Accidentally. :-)

I only die every couple of weeks now, having located and collected 13 notices of exile so far. They are displayed on my cave wall, diplomas from the School of Hard Knocks. The remains of the fallen are in an ossuary far below. The ritual of descending to the ironstone catacomb is surprisingly comforting, and quietly informs my real, suburban, yet equally mortal self about Reality.

As someone once said, "Life: Never forget you're always on your last man." I can't decide if they meant to be demotivational or not, but they succeeded in profundity.

freshreplicant
In-game: freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Polymechanos wrote:

Thanks for a great game!
These videos are very watchable, it's nice that they're not as artificially 'amped up' as a lot of YouTubers tend to be.

Really enjoy Exile, have to say it's probably my favourite non-modded MTG game. Really unique concept. The randomised characters and letters of exile are tiny things but add so much flavour and immersion to the game.

There's definitely a few things that could be ironed out or tweaked, but I'd love if this game could become a proper community game with enough maintainers and developers to keep refining it and maybe even add stuff to it. Mods for exile would be cool too.

Effei_Gloom

by Effei_Gloom » Post

Is there a way to drink from rainwater mudholes or refill water pods in a source? Cannot bring it to work.

(water is not salty)

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Click it with an empty hand.

If it's winter and you've got no tangkal fruit or other sources of water, you can melt a block of ice or snow by sitting it next to a fire. The fire will burn out to ash because of the proximity of the water, but you'll still end up with drinking water.
If you've placed it in some kind of sediment, don't hesitate to drink it because it may flow out into the loam or whatever, making it wet and leaving you thirsty. Claystone is safe, as is gravel, conglomerate, and other non-sediment stuff.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I did a little coding on my own branch of the game. I fixed the clothing temperature resist bug again, which was still half there (if you swapped clothing items in your inventory, your temperature resistance would get worse and worse, with no way to reset it but to die)
I also fixed a bug wherein agricultural soil would never deplete except by plant action, and rain actually prevented erosion from happening.
I looked into making doors allow heat to pass through when they're open, but that looks like it will require entirely rewriting the door registration code, and I just wasn't gonna do all that now. That said, trapdoors were utterly trivial, so now you can regulate warmth indoors by opening one of those.
Last, but not least, I added the ability to throw torches with Q, so that they will set up where they land and provide light. You know, as long as they don't land in lava or water. Finally you can toss a torch down that black cavernous pit and see what you're getting into before you climb down!

You can get it off my Development branch at:
https://github.com/jeremyshannon/Exile/tree/Development

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Mantar wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 20:47
I did a little coding on my own branch of the game.

You can get it off my Development branch at:
https://github.com/jeremyshannon/Exile/tree/Development
Nice to see that somebody is tinkering away with Exile. Will try your version next.

Do you have more plans for fixes or additions?

Just wondering, when you use Q to throw the torch, does it actually 'set itself up', or does the item just remain on the ground and give out light like in wielded_light?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yeah, I've got a list of bugs to look at, and stuff I'd like to add, and there's Dokimi's issues/todo text in the docs folder, I'm looking at that stuff too. My coding time's a bit unreliable, but I'd like to get more done with it. If anybody else wants to pitch in, I'll take pull requests as well.

And yes, it sets itself up and burns as an item, and will burn out just as you'd expect. I had a rough time figuring out how to get the fuel property correctly transferred from the item to the entity to the node yesterday, unexpected MT behavior along with my rusty LUA skills kept tripping me up.

Also, any artists out there? Exile needs some base skins for multiplayer. Having the default skin looks silly, especially since it's fully clothed, and then you struggle to make some crude woven clothing to put over your blue jeans and t-shirt. :D

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I agree. the players need to start without clothes. also we should represent gender diversity . so the players should be women. without clothes

freshreplicant

by freshreplicant » Post

Mantar wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 00:27
Yeah, I've got a list of bugs to look at, and stuff I'd like to add, and there's Dokimi's issues/todo text in the docs folder, I'm looking at that stuff too. My coding time's a bit unreliable, but I'd like to get more done with it. If anybody else wants to pitch in, I'll take pull requests as well.

And yes, it sets itself up and burns as an item, and will burn out just as you'd expect. I had a rough time figuring out how to get the fuel property correctly transferred from the item to the entity to the node yesterday, unexpected MT behavior along with my rusty LUA skills kept tripping me up.

Also, any artists out there? Exile needs some base skins for multiplayer. Having the default skin looks silly, especially since it's fully clothed, and then you struggle to make some crude woven clothing to put over your blue jeans and t-shirt. :D
That's brilliant! I hope that others can hop in and give you a hand. I'd help, but I am pretty much still a total beginner coding-wise. If this community maintained Exile things gains speed, it would also be good to see that people can donate a bit to creators somehow (probably doesn't make sense to have pooled donations, but making people aware about individual means to donate).

I didn't think about the burning out part, that actually sounds very tricky but it also sounds like you've managed to find a good approach for it.

I was thinking about textures as well, it'd be cool to have more options for Exile. I wonder what styles would suit it best - could both work with a bright Soothing 32 style for the optimists and something maybe...bleaker or more 'dangerous' looking for others.

Interesting point regarding player textures. Maybe the skin could just feature undergarments. To appease the 'au naturel' crowd - you're not a newborn, you've just been exiled. Pretty sure most ancient cultures that practised exile didn't steal your underpants first.