Creative Museum

Should a creative museum server be launched?

No
17%
Nice Idea, but I would not use it
No votes
Nice Idea, I think I might check out the museum as a viewer and add content submissions
83%
Nice idea, I think I might check out the museum as a viewer, but not add content
No votes
Nice Idea, I would add content, but would not care to view other's submissions.
No votes

Total votes: 6

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

Creative Museum

by MisterE » Post

I have an idea for an online server game that I would like to put out there and see if there is any interest for me to host it.

TL;DR
Spoiler
A game where people can explore museum pieces from a central hub that are based on real-world buildings, events, ideas, etc, or on art. Or, they can create their own pieces using creative and WE privs, and submit them for inclusion.
If you are interested and would use this kind of server, please reply
So, the idea is that most of the servers available are basically MT game in survival mode, or in creative mode. There are some which stand out as having a unique idea; those are often the best.

Here is an idea that will perhaps be unique for a server.

The world is in singlenode. On spawn, players enter a hub, where they can go down several halls, each of which is a category of museum displays.

each hall has teleporters to the world's museum exhibits. These exhibits are based on real-world buildings, places, events, etc. Also, there are art exhibits that do not have to be based on anything.

Players can also sign in to the server using a username ending with "_builder". They then are given creative and Worldedit privs, helpful building tools, and a space to build. They can then build an exhibit, categorize it, and present it for submission. All submissions are reviewed for adherence to the server guidelines or propriety, and then linked to the appropriate hub hall. All submissions will be made under a CC0 license, unless otherwise indicated, though a good attempt will be made to provide attribution even for CC0. Other open submissions can be included from other places, if the license permits.

Builder players can also party up and build a project together.

Every week, submissions are reviewed and the world is saved, and uploaded to the server git, so the world can be enjoyed offline and backed up.

Before just doing this, I would like to gauge the community's interest in this kind of thing. I would launch it on my server if there is interest. Please post below your interest level and ideas and thoughts about this.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

Re: Creative Museum

by twoelk » Post

sounds interesting.
might be difficult to maintain.
there is probably enough relevant content out there to be collectet for a start.
you could have to sort out more diverse copyright issues with some of the better replicas of great buildings.

you might have to spell out more specific rules and guide lines about the content you have in mind. There could be areas of rather faithfull reconstructions and others of not so perfect builders who simply explore certain themes.
There could be a masterpiece section and work places for educational groups studying a subject. You will certainly have a hell of a time gathering the right collection of mods and keeping those working over a longer time. For example for compatibility reasons I have started redesigning some of my buildings using mtg blocks only, so that I might include them in some mods I'm playing with that can add content to a world.

It might be worth studying similar projects of the past.
If you really want to start this please consider it a project of several years though as this type of content is somewhat rare and good stuff even more so in the give away for free department. If you do get schools interestet please keep in mind they might have only few projects per year that really generates content worth showing.