[WIP Game] Ambrosia: Fully custom game

contanpe
IRC: Pris
In-game: Contanpe

[WIP Game] Ambrosia: Fully custom game

by contanpe » Post

I'm a heavily modded minecraft player. I found minetest half a year ago. I didn't touch it much, didn't look like it had minecraft's charm.

Count to 3 days ago, I'm exploiting minetest as a creation engine!
I'm making a fully custom game called ambrosia, with all new textures, new progression- and mods on top, some from the community and some by me. I'm editing the default base game for some stuff. It's heavily wip and a big chunk of the default textures I'm replacing aren't done yet. All textures made by me.

A question: Is there a way to render a mesh with uniform shading? I want the leaves to darken stuff around them (not allow sunlight thru), but not have a different value each face, to look uniform. I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, so take a look at the screenshots. Also, is there a way to "offset" them randomly?

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/gA1jRLq

The lit torch is animated!
An interesting bit, is that the default game starts to look more like a high quality game only by adding cohesive textures. Figures.

Wizard Of mkdir
GitHub: wizardofgcc
In-game: Wizard Of mkdir

Re: [WIP Game] Ambrosia: Fully custom game

by Wizard Of mkdir » Post

This looks like an incredibly promising game if it's going to be fully custom, I hope it doesn't get abandoned The textures so far look incredible.

As for the random offsets for nodes, you might have to make multiple different nodes, it's currently a weakness of Minetest that you can't change the appearance of a node.

firefox
In-game: Red_Fox

Re: [WIP Game] Ambrosia: Fully custom game

by firefox » Post

it's been a while since i looked into code, but i guess you could learn something from water nodes.
unlike other transparent nodes, water does diminish the light passing through.
so if you could get your leafs to propagate light like water does, more leaves would create a darker atmosphere below.

if by random offset, you mean to place leaves more randomly, this could be done in the tree schematic.
i'm not sure how much is possible, but there's a function called y-slice probability, which cuts out a slice from the y-axis with a set probability. maybe this can also be used in other ways to randomly take out leaf nodes at specific places.
or you could make multiple schematics of different shapes and have the sapling grow function chose one of them, either at random or depending on environmental factors.
✨🏳️‍🌈♣️✨