GitHub: daretmavi
In-game: Daretmavi

[Game] A Planet Alive

by daret » Post

A Planet Alive

For changes see changelog:
https://gitlab.com/daretmavi/a-planet-a ... /CHANGELOG

GOAL
The goal of this game is to create a living game with different mobs, villagers, etc.
Right now it is work in progress, I'm in the phase of looking for suitable mods.

Known bugs
  • Some recipe are duplicates - cobweb, shears - petz/mobs, ...
License

License of my media (textures, sounds, ...) License of my source code Licence of buildscripts License of mods
  • Diferrent - see mods licence
List of already included mods
What is implemented and what are open points:
  1. Player experience
    • Character animations, animates head, right arm & body ( character_anim - great mod, finally something usable)
    • Armor support (3d Armor)
    • Weapons (from default and farbows)
    • Player abilities like hunger, sprinting, sitting, wield items, ... (hunger_ng, hbsprint, wield3d, wielded_light, emote, ...)
    • Player skins - skinsdb. Skins are download, but needs to be evaluated and reduced.
  2. GUI
    • I would like to have nice looking GUI, but non of the available is what I'm looking for.
    • Smart Inventory is looking nice, but it is not working correctly with translated elements. The same issue with Unified Inventory and the project looks to be dead.
    • For now I stick with default sfinv
    • Grafting Guide is available
  3. HUD
    • Player status and wielded Item is shown (minetest_hudbars, minetest_show_wielded_item)
  4. MOBS
    • I added some mods with mobs. It is not tested yet expensively. I plan to extend/change those mods, but it is not easy to find good looking and working mobs.
    • advanced_npc - this should generate villagers in the villages, but it doesn't seems to work - I have to rethink it (temporary disabled)
    • petz - probably the best looking mobs for minetest (and nice as well)
    • water_life - some mobs for water
    • goblins - underground mobs. According to description looks promising.
    • mobs_ghost_redo - ghost for night fun
    • aerotest - eagle. I would like to see more flying mobs
    • mobs_humans - NPCs, but they are not doing anything useful
    • mobs_monster - add some monsters. I don't like the textures to much, may be I'll change then a little bit
  5. Flora
    • Some new plants from "farming" mod (instead of default farming)
    • I probably add new trees, ...
  6. Villages
    • mg_villages are used to generate villages.
    • Right now protection is off, but you can enable it in ../mods/buildings/mg_villages/config.lua (mg_villages.ENABLE_PROTECTION = true)
    • uses handle_schematics, cottages, bell
    • Sokomines is working on update, so I hope to add more village types
    • advanced_npc should generate NPCs, but it is not working. Some NPCs are here from mobs_humans, but ...
  7. Building
    • comboblock - makes it possible to stack slabs
  8. Blocks
    • Game is based on mods from Minetest Game
    • I'm going to add more block later, but not too much. Design should stay "block like".
    • I added few mods with block, maybe I'll revisit them later (add/remove/change)
    • doors mods
    • doors - more door types
    • ts_doors - doors created in the workshop. I like the idea, I would like to see all door types created this way.
    • hidden_doors - totally cool :)
    • display_modpack - mods with readable signs. It's a little bit overkill, but the only signs mod I liked.
  9. Environment
    • Changes in how the world works. New physics :D
    • I would like to have more falling block, but it is not working well with villages. Clump Fall Nodes looks nice, may be later.
    • dynamic_liquid - makes liquid (water, lava) to behave more like liquid ( in a more realistic manner as author writes)
    • Bucket lite - bucket behavior. I don't like that I can create flooding with one bucket of water.
TODO:
  • Some Mode for better GUI/Inventory is needed. Maybe I have to learn Lua :)
  • Player animation for sneak would be nice to have
  • add "emote" to items (haven't checked it yet)
  • add fishing
  • add better NPCs
  • change monsters textures, add new monsters
  • add weather
  • add new trees
  • synchronize mods for unified look and feel
Last edited by daret on Thu Feb 04, 2021 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

JiCeyCraft
In-game: JiCeyPlay

Re: [Game] A Planet Alive

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Just found out you created a Topic for your game... 1 minute AFTER I sent you a reply. xD
Trust and Honesty are necessary conditions for friendship. (Princess Celestia)

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Post

Are you sure your new version is complete?

I get a "zip corrupted" message when I try to update from Minetest.

EDIT : can't post picture, this Forum is annoying

daret

by daret » Post

You are right it is not working from minetest contentdb, but if I download the the zip directly from https://content.minetest.net/packages/d ... net_alive/ or from gitlab, then it works.

Something strange happened in contentdb. I'll try to make a new release.

daret

by daret » Post

@JiCeyCraft
Are you on Windows?

Because it is even more strange. On my default Linux PC it works, but on Windows I get this error:

Code: Select all

Install: file: "C:\\Users\\xxx\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\sm48._MODNAME_a_planet_alive.zip"
Install: Unsupported file type "zip" or broken archive
Btw. you can add image on https://imgur.com/ and link in Full- editor "Inset image"

daret

by daret » Post

Hi, I think I found the issue.

I somehow added ENTER to one directory name. Not important for the game, so I removed the whole thing from the game repository.

Should work now.

JiCeyCraft

by JiCeyCraft » Post

daret wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 08:21
@JiCeyCraft
Are you on Windows?

Because it is even more strange. On my default Linux PC it works, but on Windows I get this error:

Install: file: "C:\\Users\\xxx\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\sm48._MODNAME_a_planet_alive.zip"
Install: Unsupported file type "zip" or broken archive
Btw. you can add image on https://imgur.com/ and link in Full- editor "Inset image"
Yes that was it.
Ooooh, thank for the link AND the advice!!!

daret

by daret » Post

Work in Progress 0.5.2
  • bucket-lite, dynamic_liquid - better support
  • craftguide - last commit revert (forced 5.4 Version) -
    • Crafting Guide 2.0 is going to dropp supports for sfinv and sfinv_buttons
    • I probably have to change gui again, may be back to smart inventory

Chris

by Chris » Post

Bug: The receipes of "Wood Empty Bucket" and "Wooden Bowl" are identical.

daret

by daret » Post

Chris wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 14:28
Bug: The receipes of "Wood Empty Bucket" and "Wooden Bowl" are identical.
Thanx for info.
I created a issue in gitlab to follow:
https://gitlab.com/daretmavi/a-planet-alive/-/issues/2

I probably have to alter the bucket-lite mod.

AND I have to recheck all recipes - any Idea how to do It effectively?
Understand it automatically - I'm lazy :)

daret

Release 0.6.1

by daret » Post

Work in Progress 0.6.1

• New bucket recipe
  • Mods update
  • smart inventory as default inventory
Craftguide needs Minetest 5.4.0.
In the future I could switch to i3 inventory: https://github.com/minetest-mods/i3

Chris

by Chris » Post

I've created a "Wooden Chestplate". In the armor windows a doubleclick is followed by this error:

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'smart_inventory' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/pages/player.lua:382: attempt to index local 'item' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/pages/player.lua:382: in function '_click'
	...alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs-elements.lua:177: in function '_click'
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:1000: in function 'submit'
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:641: in function '_sfs_on_receive_fields_'
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:410: in function <...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:395>
	/usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>

daret

by daret » Post

Chris wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 13:13
I've created a "Wooden Chestplate". In the armor windows a doubleclick is followed by this error:

AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'smart_inventory' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/pages/player.lua:382: attempt to index local 'item' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/pages/player.lua:382: in function '_click'
	...alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs-elements.lua:177: in function '_click'
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:1000: in function 'submit'
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:641: in function '_sfs_on_receive_fields_'
	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:410: in function <...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:395>
	/usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>
Seems to be bug in smart_inventory.
As a temporary workaround delete .../games/a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory and use some other inventory - like default sfinv (included) or something from contentdb, like unified_inventory (https://content.minetest.net/packages/R ... inventory/).

daret

by daret » Post

Chris wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 13:13

stack traceback:
Hi Chris,
I can not reproduce this error.
Do you use any other mods?
What is you Minetest version?
Could you send me the debug.txt?
Can you describe the steps to get this error, or. record a video?

Chris

by Chris » Post

Hi daret,

no, I'm using just the mods of this game. Minetest 5.3.
debug.text:

2021-02-08 14:09:06: INFO[Main]: Handing IACTION_CRAFT to manager
2021-02-08 14:09:06: VERBOSE[Server]: TOSERVER_INVENTORY_ACTION: data=Craft 1 current_player 
2021-02-08 14:09:06: ACTION[Server]: player singleplayer crafts 3d_armor:chestplate_wood
2021-02-08 14:09:06: INFO[Server]: ICraftAction::apply(): crafted  craft_inv="player:singleplayer"
2021-02-08 14:09:06: INFO[Main]: GenericCAO: properties updated but expiring visuals not necessary
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Main]: Handing IAction::Move to manager
2021-02-08 14:09:07: VERBOSE[Server]: TOSERVER_INVENTORY_ACTION: data=Move 1 current_player craftresult 0 current_player main 26
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Server]: IMoveAction::apply(): moved msom=0 caused=0 count=1 from inv="player:singleplayer" list="craftresult" i=0 to inv="player:singleplayer" list="main" i=26
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Main]: GenericCAO: properties updated but expiring visuals not necessary
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Main]: Client: avg_rtt=0.001
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Server]: ServerMap: Written: 1 blocks, 801 blocks in memory.
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Server]: ServerMap: Blocks modified by: 
2021-02-08 14:09:07: INFO[Server]:   removeRemovedObjects/remove  . . . . . . . .    1x   1
2021-02-08 14:09:08: INFO[Main]: GenericCAO: properties updated but expiring visuals not necessary
2021-02-08 14:09:09: INFO[Main]: GenericCAO: properties updated but expiring visuals not necessary
2021-02-08 14:09:10: INFO[Main]: GenericCAO: properties updated but expiring visuals not necessary
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'smart_inventory' in callback on_playerReceiveFields(): ...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/pages/player.lua:382: attempt to index local 'item' (a nil value)
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/pages/player.lua:382: in function '_click'
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs-elements.lua:177: in function '_click'
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:1000: in function 'submit'
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:641: in function '_sfs_on_receive_fields_'
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:410: in function <...a_planet_alive/mods/gui/smart_inventory/libs/smartfs.lua:395>
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>
2021-02-08 14:09:11: VERBOSE[Server]: Server::deletingPeer(): peer->id=2, timeout=0
2021-02-08 14:09:11: VERBOSE[Server]: Server: Handling peer change: id=2, timeout=0
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ACTION[Server]: singleplayer leaves game. List of players: 
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Audio: Deinitializing...
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Audio: Deinitialized.
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Server: Saving players
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Server: Kicking players
2021-02-08 14:09:11: ACTION[Main]: Server: Shutting down
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Executing shutdown hooks
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Server: Saving environment metadata
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Server: Stopping and waiting threads
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: Server: Threads stopped
2021-02-08 14:09:11: INFO[Main]: EmergeParams: destroying 0x5568c4c99cf0
I've created the "Wooden Chestplate". Im the armor windows, the chestplate appears on the bottom line. The double click failed with the error message posted.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

daret wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 23:32
I can , same error report .
when the armour is in the bottom blue field . its intermittent but double clicking will trigger the crash . I never double click in minetest did not even know it was a function but yeah its crashing it .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

daret

by daret » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 16:33
daret wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 23:32
I can , same error report .
when the armour is in the bottom blue field . its intermittent but double clicking will trigger the crash . I never double click in minetest did not even know it was a function but yeah its crashing it .
Yes, I could reproduce it ... after a while.
Creative has to be off and it is not always triggered, but there is a pattern.
I have to look at it a little bit more.

daret

by daret » Post

Chris wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:57
Hi daret,

no, I'm using just the mods of this game. Minetest 5.3.

I've created the "Wooden Chestplate". Im the armor windows, the chestplate appears on the bottom line. The double click failed with the error message posted.
It looks like there are too many textures in skindb (a_planet_alive/mods/player/skinsdb/textures/) - 1700+ ist way too much. I downloaded it with skindb script and I have to pick some.
Try to delete all unnecessary textures, like fist 1500 :) and try it.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

daret wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 18:20
I have to look at it a little bit more.
good show! . have to take a closer look at your game .I note you got goblins in the mix so you are off to a good start . things do come alive when they are around . dwarfs also make things come alive down there too .
Dmobs is one of my faves just for badger ,owl and Gnorm .
https://wiki.minetest.net/Mods:Mobs.
That is a lot of mobs to play with in that list to make things come alive . though they do not tend to stay alive very long in my worlds and nor do i for that matter .

daret

by daret » Post

cuthbertdoublebarrel wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 20:50
https://wiki.minetest.net/Mods:Mobs.
That is a lot of mobs to play with in that list to make things come alive . though they do not tend to stay alive very long in my worlds and nor do i for that matter .
Thanx for hint, it looks promising.

daret

Work in Progress 0.7

by daret » Post

Work in Progress 0.7

• MOD reorganisation
    • bucket-lite - moved to tools
    • comboblock - moved to environment
    • special - renamed to blocks
    • farbows - moved to tools
    • mobs - rearranged for different APIs (mobs, mobkit)
  • ADD MOD:
    • bonemeal - bonemeal - make bonemeal, mulch, fertiliser and gelatine from bones
    • fire_plus - player can get on fire
  • Mod Settings:
    • petz - user.conf created
      - shears from mobs:shears
      - tamagochi_mode = false
  • Mods update

daret

by daret » Post

New version is on gitlab with i3 UI.
I'll test it a bit and then release 0.8 version.

Because of i3, Minetest 5.4 is forced.

daret

Work in Progress 0.8

by daret » Post

Work in Progress 0.8

Work in Progress 0.8 [19.03.2020]

ADD Textures
		- LessDirt

Mods update
		- better support for hunger satiation for farming and animal-world
		- minetest update for 5.4

ADD Mods
		- i3 Mod added for UI
		- advanced_npc + mg_villages_npc for NPCs in mg_villages

DEL Mods
		- smart_inventory mod removed (replaced byt i3)
mg_villages_npc are implemented, but it is really hard to maintain this - too many patches needed to make it work, and still it's buggy.

I'm going to switch to Settlements and/or to People NPCs.

cuthbertdoublebarrel

Re: Work in Progress 0.8

daret wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 23:46
mg_villages_npc are implemented, but it is really hard to maintain this - too many patches needed to make it work, and still it's buggy.
I'm going to switch to Settlements and/or to People NPCs.
yeah had to delete the npcs due to crashes . text boxes were messed up to .
not really bothered about the npcs .just as happy if you filled the villages with spawners to make it a challange to pillage the resources.
not tested settlements lets hope it will be more suitable for what you have planned . I am expecially interested in your project as you are using both mobs and mobkit . i dont think anyone has attempted to use both in one game before . although i have not encountered any conflicts by using them both myself .

Alexander_S

by Alexander_S » Post

Hello.
I have two crashes in the game

-------------
  Separator
-------------
2021-04-03 14:01:07: [Main]: Game initialisation
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'doors' in callback node_on_dig(): Runtime error from mod 'doors' in callback node_on_destruct(): ...netest/games/a_planet_alive/mods/buildings/doors/api.lua:673: attempt to call field 'o
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: ffset_y' (a nil value)
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: 	...netest/games/a_planet_alive/mods/buildings/doors/api.lua:673: in function <...netest/games/a_planet_alive/mods/buildings/doors/api.lua:672>
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'remove_node'
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:622: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:550>
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: 	[C]: in function 'remove_node'
2021-04-03 14:42:07: ERROR[Main]: 	/usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:622: in function </usr/share/minetest/builtin/game/item.lua:550>

-------------
  Separator
-------------
2021-04-04 07:41:39: [Main]: Game initialisation
2021-04-04 08:42:11: ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'doors' in callback item_OnPlace(): ...netest/games/a_planet_alive/mods/buildings/doors/api.lua:537: attempt to call field 'offset_y' (a nil value)
2021-04-04 08:42:11: ERROR[Main]: stack traceback:
2021-04-04 08:42:11: ERROR[Main]: 	...netest/games/a_planet_alive/mods/buildings/doors/api.lua:537: in function <...netest/games/a_planet_alive/mods/buildings/doors/api.lua:516>
Thanks for this game.

upd: Minetest 5.4.0, game APlanetAlive 0.8