[Game] Minetest Game: Mushroom Fork

AlexYst
GitHub: y-st
IRC: AlexYst
In-game: AlexYst

[Game] Minetest Game: Mushroom Fork

by AlexYst » Post

Minetest Game's development is directionless, according to its own developers, and as such, keeps ending up on ice, not really being developed much for stretches of time. At the time of releasing the initial (incomplete) version of this fork, such a freeze has recently occurred. I totally get why this happens, but it also makes me a bit sad, as Minetest Game is something I find really fun to play. Along that line of thought, I've been working on adding new features to a fork of it for a few months; nothing big just yet.

Minetest Game: Mushroom Fork is a fork of Minetest Game that seeks mostly to just keep going. It relies on a couple core mechanics, but otherwise, is also mostly directionless. It mostly serves as a game for building and mining, with not much added in the way of combat features or enemies or the like for now.

While mostly directionless, this fork isn't without plans. The skeleton of a tool-customisation system is already in place, and once interesting buffs are programmed, players will be able to choose which buffs are worth applying to their tools or if they'd rather just go with strong-but-unbuffable tools such as diamond- or mushroom-level tools (for now, mushroom-based tools have some built-in buffs, but once the customisable buff system is in place, mushroom tools will just be expensive, durable tools). Beginning code for a potions system is on my hard drive too, though it's not complete enough to put in the repository just yet. In particular, teleportation potions are planned that will allow faster travel to specific points in which you completed the potions at.

Many quality of life features have been added, such as the ability to set your spawn point with a bed even during the day, a faster speed for carts when on powered rails, and the ability to place kelp on silver sand in addition to ocean sand. Quirks abound too though, such as the restoration of the old Minetest Game 0.4.0 behaviour of sandstone only dropping a single sand node.

Two tool tiers have been added. Mushroom tools are crafted using red mushroom ingots for the heads and brown mushroom ingots for the handles. These ingots are cooked from lumps using 99 fuel points (33 times the amount needed for normal metal ingots), and these lumps are crafted from 81 of their respective colour of mushrooms (craft nine together, then craft nine of the result together to get the lumps). While annoying to produce, these tools boost as much speed and strength as diamond tools, but with much greater durability. And best of all, they're renewable. However, mushroom tools cannot be overrepaired, and if an attempt to repair beyond the limits of the tool is made, the result will be a broken, unusable tool. You'll see this in the crafting prediction and have a chance to abort.

Blank rune slabs are crafted from nine cobble. Eight blank slabs and one item from your "level" menu in-game will provide eight runes. Using multiple runes, you can craft tools using the typical tool recipes. These tools receive buffs based on the runes used if your level in mining that ingredient is at least one at the time the tool is crafted, and those buffs will be passed on to child tools when combining tools through tool repair a number of generations determined by your level. Rune tools cannot be overrepaired. Unlike mushroom tools, overrepair doesn't end badly, it's simply not possible. This prevents you from creating tools with all the buffs right away, as you have to actually use your tools and wear them down enough that you can combine them with tools with other buffs. The buff-setting and buff-inheritance features have been programmed, but the buffs themselves haven't yet. This game is still in development.

As the game is currently very close to the original Minetest Game, there's not much I can show by way of screenshots, but there is a piled crops feature that lets you craft nine of any crop that can't be crafted into a cubic node in Minetest Game into a falling node that resembles the crop simply piled. The intent is for it to be used in builds such as crop vats and hoppers, but like gravel, you can build walls and floors out of them too.

Code license: LGPLv2.1+
Resource license: CC BY-SA 3.0
Derived from the original Minetest Game repo: https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game
Mushroom Fork download: https://notabug.org/y.st./Minetest_Game ... master.zip
Mushroom Fork repository: https://notabug.org/y.st./Minetest_Game_Mushroom_Fork
Attachments
09.uri_removed.png
09.uri_removed.png (449.16 KiB) Viewed 603 times

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

Re: [Game] Minetest Game: Mushroom Fork

by Dragonop » Post

Sounds nice! I'll test it out later
Really looking forward to a good tool customization system

The big food stuff reminded me of this great mod from a few years ago! it's lovely: Food Blocks

AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

Dragonop wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 15:22
Sounds nice! I'll test it out later
Really looking forward to a good tool customization system

The big food stuff reminded me of this great mod from a few years ago! it's lovely: Food Blocks
That looks really cool! I started out trying to do a similar thing with the mushrooms, but ended up giving up on trying to make it make sense and went with piling them instead. It makes sense to build large prepared food like that, but you can't really combine nine mushrooms into a cubic mushroom, for example.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

AlexYst wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 19:30
That looks really cool! I started out trying to do a similar thing with the mushrooms, but ended up giving up on trying to make it make sense and went with piling them instead. It makes sense to build large prepared food like that, but you can't really combine nine mushrooms into a cubic mushroom, for example.
Indeed! I really like the way your mushroom blocks look like a big pile of mushrooms, would like to see more item blocks that are just piled up items hahahaha

AlexYst

by AlexYst » Post

The tool buff system is now complete enough that it's presentable. If I come up with any more buff ideas, there's definitely room to add more, but the minimum target number has been hit. Specifically, it's now not possible to get all buffs on any tool without interacting with the tool repair system, so about half the time, you're going to have to pick and choose which buffs are most important to you while also keeping in mind how your choices will affect repaired tools.

First, you'll need to craft blank rune slabs. Blank rune slabs are crafted from nine cobble. From there, they can be crafted into runes by putting eight blank rune slabs around the edges and one rune ingredient in the centre of the crafting grid. Which ingredient you use will determine what type of rune you get, and the recipe will return eight runes. The following rune ingredients are used to produce the following runes:

Coal Lump => Coal Runes
Iron Lump => Iron Runes
Apple Sapling => Apple Runes
Mese Crystal => Mese Runes
Copper Lump => Copper Runes
Diamond => Diamond Runes
Gold => Gold Runes
Jungle Sapling => Jungle Runes
Cotton Seed => Cottonseed Runes
Wheat Seed => Wheat Runes
String => String Runes
Wheat => Bread Runes
Cotton => Cotton Runes
Pine Sapling => Snow Runes
Acacia Sapling => Acacia Runes
Brown Mushroom => Mushroom Runes
Red Mushroom => Toxic Runes
Brown Mushroom Spores => Spore Runes
Red Mushroom Spores => Toxic Spore Runes
Aspen Sapling => Aspen Rune
Flint => Flint Rune
Coral Skeleton => Coral Rune
Acacia Bush Sapling => Acacia Bush Rune
Bush Sapling => Bush Rune
Tin Lump => Tin Rune
Blueberries => Blueberry Rune
Blueberry Bush Sapling => Blueberry Bush Rune
Ice => Ice Rune
Pine Bush Sapling => Pine Rune
Dry Dirt => Dirt Rune

Sand Runes are present in the code and planned for later use, but are not currently available outside the creative inventory without the "give" privilege.

The eventual goal is that runes will be involved in several crafting recipes that involve magic-based logic, but for now, they're only used for crafting magical tools. The more of the ingredient you've harvested, the more power the rune will have for you. In the case of tools, your proficiency with the material determines if you get a buff from using that rune in a tool recipe and how many generations of tool repair the buff will be passed down. Tool recipes are the same as with other tools except that you use runes in the tool's recipe instead of another material. Two notable exceptions exist to this. First, magical fire starters can be crafted by placing two runes next to one another in the crafting grid. These fire starters are the equivalent of the flint-and-steel tool. Second, multiple of the same rune cannot be used in the recipe. You *must* use a combination of rune types if the recipe calls for multiple of the tool material. There are less available buffs than there are types of runes, so the same buff is usually available via multiple runes. The more runes a tool requires to craft, the more buffs you can get on a single tool. For example, a pick might have as many as three buffs if you choose your runes well, but a shovel will only get one buff. Getting more buffs than that is possible by performing tool repair and combining tools with different buffs, but each time tool repair is performed and a buff is present on only one of the tools, the level of the buff will be decremented. The level doesn't affect the effectiveness of the buff, but if it drops below zero during tool repair, that buff is removed from the resulting tool. Furthermore, magical tools cannot be over-repaired. Combining tools to combine buffs requires first wearing down booth tools enough that they can be crafted together without the resulting wear level being negative. The following buffs are available:

* Kelp Adjuster (available for screwdrivers):
If you left click on kelp with the screwdriver, it'll grow slightly longer. If you right click, it'll grow slightly shorter. The effect stacks and can loop if you make it too tall or too short.

* Breaker (available for hoes):
Right clicking on stone or desert stone will cause it to crack and become cobble.

* Cobble Eater (Available for picks):
If your pick gets damaged beyond a small threshold and you dig a node that drops cobble, the cobble will be consumed and used to slightly repair the pick. It's great for a mining pick, as you don't have to stop and craft new tools very often. However, this buff also makes it difficult to combine the tool with other tools to get more buffs, as the tool will remain in a state of almost no wear.

* Debug Buff (Unavailable):
I've been releasing each buff in its own commit as I've come up with them and programmed them. At first, no buffs were available for any tool and the Debug Buff was used as a placeholder. If you've been using this subgame in the mean time, some of your tools may still have this buff. It'll pass down through tool repair as normal, decrementing upon each repair, but no longer has any useful effect in-game.

* Durable (Available for all tools):
Tools with this buff will take about two thirds the amount of wear as they normally would. Due to the way hoes are implemented in the farming mod, this buff has no effect on a hoe's primary function (left-clicking on dirt or sand to till it), but will still reduce the amount of wear caused by its secondary function (right-clicking to activate a buff).

* Gardener (Available for fire starters):
Instead of starting fires, the fire starter will bring small plants to life if used on soil. To prevent the use of this buff to acquire resources otherwise not yet available to the player, a small plant must already exist nearby and will spread to the chosen location. It basically speeds up the process of flower and grass spread.

* Limiter (Available for all tools):
The tool will refuse to function if it has too much wear, preventing you from accidentally breaking it. From there, you can repair it by combining it with another worn tool. Of note though, this buff will deactivate the Cobble Eater and Termite buffs when it kicks in, due to the fact that these buffs require nodes to be dug up in order to function. At that point, those buffs can no longer be used to repair the tool and the tool will only be reparable via combining it with another damaged tool.

* Lumberjack (Available for axes):
Chop down a log to additionally chop down all logs above it. It can make tree-harvesting much quicker.

* Mosser (Available for hoes):
Right click on a cobble-based node to convert it into its mossy counterpart. This works on cobble cubes, slabs, all three stair variants, and walls.

* Pruner (Available for swords):
Right-click on a log or bush stem to dig up all leaves within that log or bush stem's range. Useful if you'd rather collect leaves than leave them to leaf decay. personally, I love this buff and combine it with the Level Thirst buff to get faster levels.

* Rapid Digger (Available for axes, picks, shovels, and swords):
The buffed tool will dig at about double the speed it'd otherwise have.

* Soulbound (Available for all tools):
If you die with the tool in your inventory, the tool will not be left behind with your bones. Instead, the tool will remain in your inventory when you respawn.

* Spreader (Available for hoes):
Right-clicking on dirt that's in contact with a spreading dirt type will cause it to be spread to if conditions are favourable (for example, light level needs to be high enough for it to naturally spread). Personally, I find waiting for spreading dirt types to spread across dirt bridges so I can take down the bridges and move on to be rather irritating. This buff drastically speeds up the process so I can get on with the game.

* Termite (Available for axes):
If an axe is worn above a small threshold and yo chop down a log or bush stem, the log or bush stem will be consumed and used to repair the axe. This is similar to the Cobble Eater buff for picks, but because wood is weaker than stone, it doesn't repair the tool as much, not to mention that you're less likely to have an overabundance of wood on hand as you are to have way too much cobble. It's a useful buff if you're constantly harvesting trees and you don't want to bother with crafting new axes all the time, but it can also be a bit of an annoyance.

* Level Thirst (Available for shovels and swords):
If a shovel has this buff, all flint nodes it digs will drop flint. If a sword has this buff, all leaf nodes it digs will drop saplings and all jungle grass will drop cotton seeds. Despite intuition, this buff has no effect on the drop rates of wheat seeds from grassland grass.

* Toter (Available for axes):
If an unlocked chest is chopped with an axe with this buff, it'll drop regardless of whether it's empty or not. If not empty, its contents will come along with it, allowing for easier moving of bulk loads. If you don't mind wearing down an axe, you can carry quite a lot with this buff. Furthermore, chests with identical contents will stack, allowing for even more carrying capacity if you're carrying a lot of the same material. Non-empty chests will have the normal cubic appearance in-inventory, but toted chests will look like a flat square, making them easy to tell apart. Of note, toted chests cannot be placed in other chests. If you exploit the item-swapping glitch in the Minetest engine to force a toted chest into another chest, it'll immediately pop back out and try to re-enter your own inventory. If your inventory is full, it'll fall on the ground and be subject to the normal item despawn timer. This has no effect on players that don't try to exploit the glitch, so if you don't try to exploit the glitch, your toted chests won't fall on the ground and despawn.

* Transplanter (Available for shovels):
Spreading dirt type nodes that are dug by a shovel with this buff will drop not regular dirt, but themselves. This allows you to bring them far away easily without needing to create long dirt bridges and spread the dirt type across them.

Rune-based tools have a coloured aura around them. This aura's colour is entirely random and has no effect on the game. If you don't like the colour, try changing the contents of the crafting grid and changing them back. This will cause a new random colour to be chosen. Additionally, hovering the cursor over a tool will show you the buffs it has and what strength those buffs have as well as how many times the tool has been repaired. The strength of a buff is basically a count of how many further generations the buff will pass down through, and is usually decremented each time the tool is repaired. For example, a buff level of zero means the buff will be lost next time the tool is repaired. Initial buff levels are set when the tool is first crafted and are based on your elemental level relating to the conferring rune's material. This means that the higher your levels, the more buffs you can get onto a tool via tool repair before the buffs start fading and disappearing. Furthermore, runes at higher levels won't need as many runes fed to the tool to maintain the buff across many repairs, while runes at lower levels will require more runes be used to prevent the loss of related buffs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My next goal is to get some rune-based chests built. I'd really like some chests dedicated to automated farming, though I'll need to figure out what other sorts of chests can be added alongside them.

twoelk
GitHub: twoelk
IRC: twoelk
In-game: twoelk

by twoelk » Post

mhmhm the transplanting tools sounds interesting
among others ...
might try the lumberjack thingy on a wooden log hut just to see what happens - or does it ignore player set nodes?
maybe the magical runes system could run parallel to a non magical blueprint system similar as in the old realtest.
as I always collect all leaves the pruner would be a real timesaver for me.

interesting tool enhancements, although I'm normally not much interested in magical themes in mods ...
normally ... but this just might ... er ... rather it has allready made me curious

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I awalys though t mine test was missing psilocybin . im glad that there are visionaries in this society. I am looking froward to making soma in this new mod. do you cultivate mushrooms at home? drop a link to your server and we can talk about it