[Game]GAL (Game Abstraction Layer)[0.0.1]

ShadMOrdre

[Game]GAL (Game Abstraction Layer)[0.0.1]

by ShadMOrdre » Post

GAL (Game Abstraction Layer) is meant to be a consolidation of code, upon which modders and content providers can easily add new content while lessening the hassles of mod dependencies. As an abstraction layer, it is meant to provide a fully customizable, base game definition that is robust enough to allow expansion.

Included features (mods or functionality) include the following:
Player - (player_api, 3d_armor, hud, hunger, thirst, energy, experience, skill, mana, magic, proficiencies, affects, appearance, and others.)
Some of the above come from Adventuretest game.

Inventory - (sfinv, sfinv_buttons, smart_sfinv, creative)

Shapes library - (Provides numerous nodebox shape registrations for stairs, slabs, walls, pillars, panes, roofs, doors, furniture and more)

Voronoi library - (Generate, save, load voronoi points data. Also allows cell neighbor discovery, edge discovery, vertex discovery and loading and saving of data.)

Numerous other functions for distance, save/load .csv files, and various useful functions culled from assortment of mods.

Mapgens include v3d, v6, v7, valleys_2d, valleys_3d, and voronoi. Lua mapgens use registered biomes, ores and decorations.

Includes the entirety of my form lib_materials and lib_ecology mods, now renamed and refactored into gal_geology, gal_ecology_plants, and gal_ecology_trees.

Includes naturalslopeslib, for sloped terrain, geomoria, for dungeons, and lib_towns, based on Settlements mod by Rochambeau.

Includes "standard" tools, chests, furnaces, itemframe/shelves, drawers and numerous other mods that were easily refactored to use GAL.

NOTES:
Most mods used in this project were licensed LGPLv2 or less. I've tried to avoid GPL3 or anything else more restrictive. Many mods had precarious dependencies on default, and were easily refactored.

Craft recipes do exist, but cannot be guaranteed to be consistant, and certainly not complete. The reason is that I want to move away from the craft grid, and into the generated world for producing inworld materials and objects. As such, crafting is intended to be an inworld activity, not a formspec activity.

LICENSE: Unless stated within the code itself as being differently licensed code, this entire project is released as LGPLv2.1, the same license as Minetest itself. Licenses may not be complete for all content as yet. Many textures, meshes, and schematics may not have corresponding license info yet. If any content creator sees their content, I will include their license, or remove their content, at their request.

OBJECTIVE: Currently there is no game objective, as this project is meant to be an abstraction layer between the code and the game designer, with the intention being a configurable database of functionality and content, installable and configurable by game designers, with less care for getting it to work, and more time to focus on quality of content.

Still, I envision a game that is part RPG, part RTS, part 4T, and part simulation. There is certainly room for making this nothing more than a real world education simulation. Ideas continue to make themselves more readily obtainable as more code and functionality become assimilated into this project.

SCREENSHOTS:

DOWNLOAD:
gal_lite

While not necessary, the following files should be placed into a world folder, instead of using the MT based world creation menu.
Additional files for easier world creation

IMPORTANT NOTES:
Many options are not yet settable without effort. Code is still dirty and in disarray. There is still MUCH to do.

Use ONLY in a new world. Currently, the Voronoi lua mapgen is enabled and set to 0.1 scale. This provides the entire world at 1/10th scale. Terrain generation will only occur within {-3000,-3000} / {3000,3000}. Outside those boundaries would be an ever deepening ocean.

At world creation, the Voronoi points file is generated, or loaded if provided. On first run, the generated Voronoi points causes chunk generation times to be rather long. This is "solved", by simply restarting the world, with the previously generated points file getting loaded, instead of generated. Just a quirk more than anything, but helpful to know so as to avoid otherwise invalid "slowness"

This project is HUGE. There is an abundance of content. Some of the content may still be broken, as I have not necessarily gotten around to each and every corner.

Offers of assistance or collaboration are welcome, as I would like to see this as an alternative to MTG, for game devs and modders.

I have another package pending for additional mods, to be installed as mods, as opposed to the game. These include mobs, advtrains, mesecons, pipeworks, digilines, hoppers, and other "heavy" mods.
Attachments
screenshot_20210302_105616.jpg
screenshot_20210302_105616.jpg (279.42 KiB) Viewed 826 times
screenshot_20210302_105909.jpg
screenshot_20210302_105909.jpg (520.76 KiB) Viewed 826 times
screenshot_20210302_105658.jpg
screenshot_20210302_105658.jpg (513.54 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Last edited by ShadMOrdre on Sat Oct 16, 2021 20:59, edited 1 time in total.

philipbenr
GitHub: philipbenr
IRC: philipbenr
In-game: robinspi

Re: [Game]GAL (Game Abstraction Layer)[0.0.1]

by philipbenr » Post

Excited to download and play with this when I have the time!

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Just some additional screenshots of content.

Inventory. (sfinv, smart_sfinv, sfinv_buttons, minetest_bags, awards, 3d_armor, and more)

3D Armor, with 9 slots for armor. Allows shield and cape. Can be further expanded for 3D accessories.

Unique NPCs. Based on Villagers mod and mob_npc. Includes NPC mobs from farlands game.
Villages that conform to the land. Based on Settlements, with content from mg_villages modpack, and other sources.
Attachments
screenshot_20210303_222342.jpg
screenshot_20210303_222342.jpg (217.43 KiB) Viewed 826 times
screenshot_20210303_221217.jpg
screenshot_20210303_221217.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 826 times
screenshot_20210303_221152.jpg
screenshot_20210303_221152.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 826 times

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

im concerned of coding on top of this. it could be the straw that breaks the camels back

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

Currently, this project is still WIP. It is also a generalized framework and source of content for game developers. It is being shaped into an Abstraction Layer, which will make the game making side of development easier, and seperated from the actual meat and potatoes.

At this point in MTs history, there is a wealth of content. The issues has always been that the vast majority of this content is buried in some mod buried deep within the forum, not compatible, dependent upon or is so heavily tied to MTG to the point that it's almost worth it to recreate the wheel. Dependencies, too many alternative variations, and very quickly users can get lost or simply throw their hands in the air.

This project currently does two things. It provides both a coding framework in progress, and a depth of content that culls many of the hidden gems from hundreds of mods and several games and combines them into an easy to install and play package.

The goal is to create an easy to install, configure, and play game base. Users can become game devs simply by choosing what content is available, what the rules are and how the rules are applied. Not, configure my RPG, but let me choose to play this RPG as an RTS, or let me play this RTS as an RPG. Or, just let me explore or build.

Coding against this is at the core of the primary goal. Due to the WIP nature of this project, and the amount of work that still needs to be done to achieve the goal, I would recommend spending coding time towards the goal, and letting the additional mods come later, when they are far more easily created. Still, you can code against the following mod combination:

Code: Select all

gal, gal_geology, gal_ecology_plants,gal_ecology_trees
The above 4 mods provide a player with stats, skins, armor, hud, and api; inventory and gui; biomes, ores, decorations, and hundreds of ground nodes, plants, and trees.

I would ask that you try it, and make suggestions and/or contributions to make it better.

Shad

cuthbertdoublebarrel
GitHub: cuthbert

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

It appears you have 2 huds conflicting .as you got 2 sprint bars showing ,plus unknown place holders in inv . . i just get dropped in the ocean with no chunks loading when i reload . and a ton of errors in the debug text with deprecations , alpha transparancy etc. does not seem to be compatible with 5.4 ?
Was just looking for a barebones build as a replacement to mtg but you have included villages??.
As of 5.4 mods and dependancies are now auto- updated so why the need for a separate mod pack to run the "heavy" ?
to be honest i only wanted the ecology mods to run with MTG ,was hoping this was an alternative barebones that configured all the biomes into your ecology, plus those great cloud formations (which should have been included in MTG imo),
A simple starting base so that we have the freedom to add our own mod prefrences. with a recommended list of mods that we can simply download via mt so that future updates to those mods are automatically taken care of.
The problem with including your own prefrences is that our gameplay can vastly differ . for example i prefer to start with basic tools and a map . i dont want the XP plastered on the screen . but would really like to see how many miles i had traveled on the death screen . showing the xp at the end creates an incentive to beat that score on the next try. a highscore chart would be a great addition .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

Eris
IRC: definitelya Ovalo
In-game: Eris_still_crafts

by Eris » Post

I asked the core devs what they thought of this massive project. They either hadn't heard of it, or thought of it as less than a library, which is what they really wanted to code easier.
IMO, you just need the manpower (coders) to sift through this rough gem and craft whatever they envision out of it!
This could be what MTG should have become, I have faith in this, even though sadly I have no coding skills yet, I can see your hard work can pay off. Others just need to realise it.
Jump in the caac

ShadMOrdre

by ShadMOrdre » Post

I haven't abandoned this. I am in the process of refactoring this project.

As such, I've updated the github link to point to the renamed project. This is to help in avoiding issues with my now released mod, gal.