[Game] Exile v0.3.17

izzyb

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.4

by izzyb » Post

I popped onto the server for a bit. Left some bones in a few places. :) I like the spawn castle with all the text notes. I'm guessing it runs the development version of the game? Or is this server specific customisation?

Being able to create notes in game would be a nice feature. And being able to label things like bags and storage jars would be nice. Something so you can see the name when you look at them. It gets tiresome having to put bags down to see whats in them

It'd be nice if the sentencing cards could include the player name on servers and maybe keep stats like date of exile and death, what killed them, etc. Something to help identify note worthy lives from all the bones in your grave yard. Being able to add comments to them would be nice. Maybe a personal log you can add things to over time. Possibly automated entries for things like illness and achievements. Something to help give meaning to all the bones. :)
cdb_d26897136a4c

izzyb

by izzyb » Post

I forgot to mention I learned a few tips from the server. I was confused by the brick structures by the castle with slabs around the outside. couldn't figure out what they were for because they were all empty except one. Greatly simplified my charcoal production and far less dangerous then what I was doing - 'Died playing with fire' should be on the grave marker of more then a few of my bones. :)

I noticed you can't connect things to the side of sticks on the server. Is that new in the development version? Noticed it's a little easier to build a pole now, but lost a lot of useful tricks I'd picked up.

I have pole climbing and scaffolding building down to an art! :) Comes in handy picking fruit or trying to get out from a bad fall.
Also see you can't climb to the top of a block on top of a pole either so can't do that as an alternative. I gather that was the intent of the change. :(

Also noticed my quick trick of creating an instant shelter with a few sticks and sleeping mats to protect from rain doesn't work anymore. It was a handy instant shelter while exploring. Oh well, guess I'll have to adapt...

And I discovered my first volcano! Wow! Impressive! Over 500 blocks high. I left my body on the top of a stack of boulders if anyone is lucky enough to spawn in the same area. Didn't realise it was a volcano until I got to the top. It's a one way trip unless you're prepared. Didn't see anything but moss all the way up. No shelter, no plants, no food.
cdb_d26897136a4c

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yes, the LoC server is running the latest development version, including features that will be in the upcoming 0.3.5 release.
Sticks have been nerfed a bit, as they were crazy powerful before. Now they no longer connect at 90 degree angles, seemingly floating in mid air; you can only extend them outwards. I'd like to limit the nodes they can connect to as well, to make proper ladders a bit more desirable, but that can wait.

Labels for bags has been suggested before, they may go in at some point. Dyes are definitely coming one of these days, so at the very least you'll be able to color-code your bags.
Neat idea with the exile sentence containing player names on multiplayer. I'd like to expand some of that stuff. I am trying to keep the amount of English text in the game down, as I'd like to make Exile as language-neutral as possible. (The planned tutorial system will be using symbols rather than words.)

Exile 0.3.5 should be coming soon, possibly next week, as I finish up the new food system and iron out any bugs that pop up on LoC.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Mantar wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 20:52
I am trying to keep the amount of English text in the game down, as I'd like to make Exile as language-neutral as possible. (The planned tutorial system will be using symbols rather than words.)
Sounds like that might be hard to understand, unfortunately I think that may confuse people, especially if they are
new to the game.
I get that making it easy to translate part, but how is somebody going to understand what all the symbols
mean?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

That's something I have thought about -- some of the current symbols, while taken from real prehistoric symbols used by early man, are obscure and hard to understand for players today. So I plan on reworking the symbols and adding more clear, easy to understand pictographic ones before building the tutorial. (I've recruited noodles from the LoC server to help)

The finalized pictograms should be fairly clear and obvious. Even with the current pictograms there are some things that could be done already. For example, imagine on one side of a particular tutorial area there's a sleeping spot on empty ground, with a sad face; then a mat under a crude thatch overhang, and a standing man; and last a bed inside a well-built hut, with the dancing man. As the player walks through the area he will be able to see the temperature difference under each of the three rooms, and see that there's a progression in beds available.

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.5

by Mantar » Post

Releases v0.3.5 and v0.2.8 are out now!
Changes:
- Blankets to keep warm.
- Foods can now burn if left cooking too long.
- Mobs should no longer stunlock when hit repeatedly
- Nerf: Increased fall damage.
- You can use a stick to bar a door, to prevent entry.
- New animations thanks to `MisterE`.
- Track how many incarnations you’ve had in the `Character` tab.
- Glow worms in caves
- Nerf: `Stick`s don’t connect with right-angle corners anymore.
- Nerf: Mudbrick turns to clay when broken, like bricks lose mortar
- Mapgen: `carpathian` is now supported, for a harder game world.
- No more beach spiders.
- New food system infrastructure
- Experimental biomes, enable under settings to test
- Misc. bug-fixes and quality of life improvements.

The new biomes from Dokimi are available for testing, but are in need of polishing and refining. Valleys maps may feel a bit crowded with new biomes, and Merki is much more rare than before. To try them out, enable them under settings, and make a new world.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

I gave a quick try and after burning down my hollow tree shelter (oops forgot how fire + wood isn't always a great idea) i ended dying completely exhausted in a hole i dug from which i was too tired to get out :D , i found this game fantastic !
The survival elements are really well done, there's a lot more depth than i thought at first.

Congratulations on making this great Exile game , definitively one of the best Minetest game i played so far !

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Some questions :

after nearly dying of exhaustation (i was left at 10% of energy) from collecting enough to build a primitive bed, i noticed that i regain 1% of energy every +/- 8 seconds when i'm in the bed doing nothing.

Meaning that to come back to 100% i would have to wait doing nothing on the bed .. 12 minutes of real time ?
If a whole day takes 20 mn of real time, it seems to me not doing anything for 12mn of real time is way too much of nothing.

i waited until i was at 60% , woke up, walked to the beach that was +/- 20meters away, then came back, then walked again to the beach and noticed my energy was at 50%. Basically lost 10% in a few seconds that it would take me in bed more than a minute of real time to recover ?
Am i missing something that would make my character recover his energy faster ?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Check the temperature, shivering in the cold uses up energy; extreme heat is also tiring. Laying in bed regenerates energy, but the rate at which it does so can be reduced or even negated if the weather is severe enough.
It's also important to ensure your bed is indoors out of the weather. A cave or just squatting under a tree will suffice if you have no energy or materials for a shelter. (If you're under a tree, be careful of where you place the fire, lest it spread to the tree. Raise it off the ground and be sure there are no flammables nearby)

In short, get a roof and a fire going to ward off the cold, the bed will work much better then.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Thanks, so that must be the temperature as due to nearly having no more energy i had set up the bed in a hollow tree and i had left the fire outside so the temperature may not have been ideal unfortunately (i left the fire outside due to not having enough time to build some protection in the hollow tree to avoid the fire burning the whole tree like it happened for one of my previous character :D )

Probably if i had thought of getting enough material to craft a blanket , i could have been more comfortable regarding temperature in that bed, but now i understand better the mechanics i should be better prepared for my next character, hopefully i'll be able to get clothed to avoid losing so much energy outside too.

Robsoie

by Robsoie » Post

Ran into a crash. No idea if it's Minetest engine itself or the Exile game.

It was raining, i was under a hollow tree, my blanket in hand, i had punched my bed to get it back and rebuild it closer to the fire (as in the previous location it was slightly too far and so i had no temperature benefit from the fire).

I rebuilt it still under the hollow tree where i hoped was at a safe enough distance and close enough to get better temperature.
I noticed there was a slight problem, as while half of the bed could be walked on, the other part had a wood block preventing me to move there.
But still i was able to click on the bed to get on it, but doing this froze Minetest completely (except the rain sound that was still playing). No log unfortunately as i play with --logfile NUL for better performance (as Exile seems more heavy on ressource than most minetest games).

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Huh, I've done similar things with beds many times without issue. You say it froze rather than crashed? Odd. I'll keep an eye out to see if it happens to me or anyone on the LoC server.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

A new bugfix point release is out now, v0.3.5b and v0.2.8b. Included changes are:
- flowing water no longer supports player weight in MT 5.5.0
- /suicide command for players who are stuck
- added frost overlay to the HUD when you're dangerously cold
- cooking pot now available, still somewhat WIP
- ability to move liquids directly between pots/bottles
- more accurate changes to water temperatures
- mob eggs won't hatch if there are too many other mobs nearby, reducing lag
- punching a pane tray removes the glass from it, leaving the tray to be reused
- per user settings for breaktaker
- many minor bugfixes and improvements

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

The new dye code is up now on github, and it's live on the LoC server.
Seven dyes (out of a possible 10 in the future) with three shades apiece can be made from randomly selected plants.
Bundle up some plants at the dyer's table, soak, cook, or burn them, and see if it produces a useful dye.
Add a dye to the new dye pot (crafted from a clay water pot and a stick) and you can apply the dye to an item (or stacked items) of clothing. Each unit of dye can do three color baths, the first bath is the deepest shade, the second lighter, and the exhaust bath is a faded pastel shade.

By default, the world seed is used to randomize, so you will get the same dyes if using the same world seed, but you can optionally use a random seed to ensure a different selection every time. If you want to spoil yourself on which plants, treated how, make what dyes in your world, set your minetest logging level to "info" in the settings panel, and the log will tell you.

A new release will be out soon with this and other changes!

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Something looming on the far horizons.
Attachments
ring in deep sunset.jpg
ring in deep sunset.jpg (101.71 KiB) Viewed 8066 times

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

Exciting! I like the look of that. Reminds me of the alien planet from The Expanse (one of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time).

Keep it up! I'm really impressed by the work that everyone's put into Exile :-)

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

For anyone who has the time, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences playing Exile. Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27932

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

izzyb wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 04:42
Being able to create notes in game would be a nice feature.
This has been on my mind recently.

I'm using a text editor outside the program to write things down. That started with how long each light source would last and what food value I could get out of selected plants. At the moment my notes also include current goals and projects, the meaning of some of my paint markings, a fairly complete naturalist's guide, and a list of shelters/camps I have established.

It would be more realistic if this information were retained in the game. Maybe wash or grind grasses to make papyrus and tie it together into a notebook, and use a burnt stick as a crayon. This could be accessed with a simple text editor similar to writing in books in other MT mods. For serious role-playing purposes, any character who finds the notebook (including your new self, after your previous self suffers an unfortunate accident) gains the knowledge written in it.

Ideally the notebook would allow for two text sizes, and let you "draw a picture" of any object which you are holding at that moment (i.e., copy the item icon into the notebook).

And if you fail to put it in a clay jar and it burns up in your next house fire, that is all the more realistic. You could also potentially have a way to copy a notebook to have a backup or a giveaway. All this is assuming that the character's home culture was a literate one.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

The temperature Incorrectly displays Celsius when I set it to Fahrenheit.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yeah, that's not right. Can I get some more info? How did you go about setting it to Fahrenheit? Did you use the system-wide method in settings or the per-player method with the in-game command?

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

I just went under the regular settings tab on the menu and then went under game settings

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Ah, thanks. I pinpointed the problem -- I forgot that meta:get_string("keyname") returns "", not nil if a key doesn't exist. Since the blank string isn't nil, the code sets the per-player override to the default of celsius as a result. A fix is inbound.

As a workaround you should be able to enter "/set_tempscale f" in-game to set the per-player override.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Okay

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

The take a break message isn't disabled after I choose to disable it under the game settings

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Hah, I bet it's the same thing! ... Yep, it's checking for if the pref is nil. Lua (and the Minetest settings subsystem) returns nil for variables that don't exist but Minetest's metadata subsystem doesn't. Quirky!