[Game] Exile v0.3.17

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.9d

by Mantar » Post

They're in our plans. Most mobs will remain neutral beings trying to live their lives, rather than suicidally aggressive monsters, but we do plan to add more hostile creatures, especially underground. I can't say "soon" though, there's a lot to be done.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

TX Miner
In-game: TX_Miner

by TX Miner » Post

Just saw this. I hope everything goes well, I love Exile and think it is probably the best game on Minetest.

SuperStarSonic
GitHub: Python-Sargent
In-game: SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

This game is awesome, but how do you smelt he iron smelting mix?
And how do you rett the unretted cana?
Thanks to the developers for this game.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

SuperStarSonic wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 17:06
This game is awesome, but how do you smelt he iron smelting mix?
And how do you rett the unretted cana?
Thanks to the developers for this game.
Smelting requires high heat, so a block of charcoal with access to plenty of air. The smelting mix also requires an empty space adjacent so the slag can flow out - smelting is basically heating ore up to liquify it so you can separate the iron out from the non-iron materials.
Retting is a process of placing organic material under water to speed the decay of the softer parts, leaving the tough fibrous parts behind. Like rot + wet, the retting process is done by submerging your fiber bundle under a node of water. Flowing water works, too, which is different from most things in Exile, but it's handy and I'm not sure I want to change it just to be consistent.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Thank you, I'll post some screenshots of my setup for smelting.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

I took some screenshots of my smelting towers and my whole base, I thought maybe everyone would like to see my spot.

Smelting Towers

tower_2_front.png
tower_2_front.png (591.14 KiB) Viewed 6818 times

My Home

second_home_bed.png
second_home_bed.png (431.04 KiB) Viewed 6818 times

The Hole In The Ground

hole_arch.png
hole_arch.png (573.88 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
Minetest Forums attachments are very bad, I have plenty more attachments but they won't load, sorry.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Mantar wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 22:00
the retting process is done by submerging your fiber bundle under a node of water. Flowing water works, too,
Can you use saltwater, or just freshwater?

Thanks for the help.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Freshwater only, salt usually ruins things. I'm not sure if it's usable for retting IRL, but Dokimi's code disallowed it so I kept that. Saltwater does tend to be much more corrosive, so I assume it probably damages the fiber as well as the softer tissue.
Nice house, and an interesting smelter setup.

SuperStarSonic

by SuperStarSonic » Post

Thanks. I wish I could actually attach things well.

lili36

by lili36 » Post

Hello, I have a bug blocking me to play around lvl 0. I put the detailed post here :
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29353&p=423242#p423242

I post it here too because I never got it with other game so...
This appears after a while, it works at first. I reset the world, it worked back, then went away again...
I checked if I didn't accidentally use a key shortcut changing things, but no, I mean, changing every parameter doesn't change things.
It seems to work this the same world on an other computer (other installation).

Here is how it looks near sea (only right above lvl 0) :
screenshot_20230407_161356.png
screenshot_20230407_161356.png (215.17 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
If I rotate slightly on myself, I can see it, but only with a specific orientation... If I turn again it goes away and I can't play like that.
Here is, at the exact same place, how it should look :
screenshot_20230407_162217.png
screenshot_20230407_162217.png (498.19 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
I also do have the glitch where there is no sea, passing at lvl 0,5 :
screenshot_20230407_164156.png
screenshot_20230407_164156.png (159.17 KiB) Viewed 6632 times
It looks like a white ceiling to pass...

Any idea ?
I want to fish :'(

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

The bug is fixed on current master, I plan on dropping a new pointfix release later today for it.

It's kind of a funny story, I dug into this problem last year, and implemented a quick mod to create a similar fog bank on devtest/MTG to test it there, copying the set_sky parameters, and had the same problem. I even made a PR to Minetest to make the cloud wall disappear as you got close to it so you didn't have to actually touch it before it vanished.
But at no point during any of this did I ever notice that when Dokimi set up the fog bank originally, he set the cloud color to #FFFFFF, which is R, G, and B, but no alpha channel -- so it's opaque! Once I added an alpha channel in, the engine did the right thing and made the cloud layer translucent, and stopped culling all the geometry on the other side. The fog bank is now (#FFFFFFFE).
Just goes to show, you should always count your F's.

Oh and I love fishing minigames, so there will be one in Exile some day. Probably after the regions system is added and we have abstract animal population tracking, so I can pull fish from the local area.

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.9e

by Mantar » Post

A new update to the stable version of Exile has been released: v0.3.9e is now available on contentdb.

Changes:
- Add theme song "Earth and Stone" by Kevin Hartnell
- Wattle connects to drystack
- Keep leftover plant bundles that are not dyes, to see what you've tried
- Added a dewaffler utility to fix broken terrain caused by the prior bug
- Fix for opaque white fog banks
- Usual round of bugfixes

Update from the content browser or download it at https://content.minetest.net/packages/Mantar/exile/

lili36

by lili36 » Post

Well, it worked fin my changing computer, then import the world back from the other computer.
I installed the new version today, and yet, I get the bug again (maybe because change of season, to Retreat).

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Ah, so I should reduce the transparency further? Maybe #FFFFFFE0? I could faintly see through it as is, but that might be due to local settings or hardware.
(The transition into the cloud still looks weird to me, the "sheet" should disappear as you approach it, not when you touch it, but that's an engine thing)

Edit: I've patched v0.3.9e with lower fog transparency. I'll probably have to do another release soon, whenever I figure out why Exile is suddenly extra laggy with Minetest 5.7.0. Framerates are amazing, but opening a door takes like two seconds to happen, while in 5.6.1 it's instant.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

I just started a proper play through of V4 on latest Minetest update. It's looking good!

- Lag: yeah, it is a bit laggy for me (but most things are on old low end hardware!)

- Confusing UI: I'm getting the same vibes that I got when the new HUD was first added, good but confusing at the same time. Like then, small tweaks might be enough, i.e. having consistent rules for where crafts are found, what level of tool can be used etc.

e.g. right now farming crafts are linked thematically in the digging stick, whereas other crafts are linked by the tool you'd actually use to craft it - this is inconsistent.

Likewise having crafting in Main inventory and Hand craft is a duplication, so the purposes of these two spaces are blurred. Better to make them very distinct.

- Cloud transparency: Didn't even know it could do that! Probably put it to the lowest setting possible? Fog is very transparent when your inside it. (I can also see faintly through it now, so not too different across hardware)

- Health effects: some of these have deliberate time delays (notably Hepatotoxicity, apparently that's what liver failure is like). But yeah, this is one of the worst coded parts of the game. It's a hybrid of the first things I made plus the last, so both were pushing my coding skills to the limits! A fun redesign project there for someone... :-)

- Speaking of which, is there a publicly available project roadmap anywhere? Might be good to have, for people who want to contribute but don't know what's happening (e.g. I see mention of a "regions system", sounds exciting but what is it?)

- Seeing as we have a theme song now... this guy has become my own personal unofficial exile sound track https://www.scottbuckley.com.au/library/. He hits the cinematic notes just right for me, and it's all open licenses too.

Great work guys.
Love seeing how this project is starting to evolve.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

The UI is very placeholder-ish, and has grown like a tangle of weeds of late. I'd like to get out the weed whacker and sort it out, hopefully this weekend if IRL permits. Hand crafting in particular seems to cause confusion.
There's not a roadmap, though there probably should be. The regions system will divide up the map into local areas to allow tracking information about them separately, and initially it will be used for things like player respawning, and for tracking unloaded populations of animals so that, for example, predators don't starve because they can't move when players aren't around. It will probably go in some time after v0.4.0 is released with all the new things currently in development.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

PSA: There was a bug for quite a while in Exile where grass spread would cause weird landscaping. It's been fixed for some time, and new worlds will not suffer the "waffling," but existing landscapes can't be fixed automatically, so there's a tool in the utilities folder called the "dewaffler."
This can be used to fix waffled landscapes, by anyone with the server privilege, via the /dewaffle command. Copy the folder into the mods/ directory to activate it.
The command takes one argument, which is the radius in nodes to fix. I recommend 50-80 depending on your CPU, as it's pretty intensive. It will leave the affected area quite a bit smoother than default map generation would, but that can't really be helped.

Before and after pics:
dewaffle-before.jpg
dewaffle-before.jpg (852.53 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
dewaffle-after.jpg
dewaffle-after.jpg (845.49 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Also depicted, upper left corner: the dangers of placing a fireplace in your wall when your farm crops are immediately on the other side. (Don't worry, I put it out and removed the endangered anperla to a backpack indoors for the hapless owner)

lord_of_the_dumpster

by lord_of_the_dumpster » Post

Sharing some progress with you so it doesn't look like we're lazy.
Recently I'm working on new plants and reworking/improving biomes.
Every plant was drawn by me in GIMP.

Despair inducing barrenlands (now plants fight back with their thorns):
barren.png
barren.png (900.01 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
New plants for the forest:
malina.png
malina.png (688.55 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
Birth season with the new flower:
spring.png
spring.png (452.67 KiB) Viewed 6297 times
Dokimi: did you plan anything for Orom and Veke? I saw that you imported the textures from the Australia mod, but they don't really do anything. Is it okay to just leave the names and replace the textures with something else? One of the textures has floating pixels and I'm not really a big fan of these.
Copyleft 🄯 All wrongs reserved!

lord_of_the_dumpster

A new shrub (small tree) for the forest. The blue things are meaty cones.
It may or may not be edible, find out yourself.
Dynamic shadows enabled so it looks better than it actually is.
jalowiec.png
jalowiec.png (572.48 KiB) Viewed 6282 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

I finally made it through winter on V4! For a WIP feature that's pretty awesome.

I found the transition to winter very abrupt, so I tried a hacky experiment to see what dead leaves on trees would look like.

Leaves

No leaves

I actually came to like having bare trees, but maybe an autumn stage would be good?

Anyway, this is a very ambitious feature. I'm impressed. I've had fun exploring the new plants too.

Winter has been very laggy though. Any more lag and it will be unplayable. (Seems highly dependent on view range. Seems worst at my developed camp, in a seaside forest, with lots of sea ice. Hard to say though).

--------------------
Prays & Blessings PR
I just saw ozcodex's comment about starting his own game. He might not be aware I actually tried implementing his religion idea in my character roleplaying experiment. The religion feature could work, but the game itself is nowhere near ready for it.

Looks like he's forked Exile? He might have an easier time just creating a mod for Exile if he wants mystical elements.

As a volunteer project it makes sense to keep effort focused in one place if possible. This is why I made sure "Easy to mod" was in the design guide, for exactly this kind of situation. (Just a thought - depends entirely on just how different he wants to make his game).

--------------------
"Dokimi: did you plan anything for Orom and Veke? "

Some of the other new plants used Australia textures, so I was just grabbing anything I liked (didn't notice floating pixels though). I thought they looked good :-)

We might be having different ideas about what barrenlands should look like. I felt like your new cactus plants didn't fit! (I like the color of tsaplop in barrenlands, but the newer ones don't feel right to me).

My starting idea for barrenlands was places like Afghanistan. You might be thinking of American deserts?? Those two idea would clash.

I am happy for you to pursue your own artistic vision (seeing as you're doing the work!). Do what you like with orom and veke.
Attachments
leaf_on.png
leaf_on.png (972.87 KiB) Viewed 6074 times
leaf_off.png
leaf_off.png (768.59 KiB) Viewed 6074 times

Dokimi

by Dokimi » Post

Okay, here's my idea for barrenland plants:

Have the new spiky plants mostly just in the orange dunelands. They should look good there.

Fill the barrenlands with ephemeral wildflowers. Use these new season/growth features to do a brief "superbloom" in spring/rain/whenever. The landscape turns bright with color, and then they all die. It can be hostile to human life, but also very beautiful at the same time. That's a different and counter-intuitive way of making something feel desolate, in addition to just stabbing people :-)

(That's where my instincts would lead me anyway. Feel free to do whatever you like!)

lord_of_the_dumpster

Dokimi:
My starting idea for barrenlands was places like Afghanistan. You might be thinking of American deserts?? Those two idea would clash.
I was thinking about general succulent adaptations because I considered the biome to be a desert, so round shapes, thorns, toxins. Saguati was inspired by Euphorbia sp. Obesa was vaguely based on Echinocactus grusonii while Gevaari was completely made up. Drapacz was inspired by Euphorbia milii. These are typical plants for hot and dry climates. I'm not an expert on Afghan deserts, what makes them different? I'm aware of the fact that American deserts host cacti while African deserts mostly host Euphorbia.
If the barrenlands is not that kind of desert to host these plants, then I need a desert biome for them, could possibly add a new one.
Have the new spiky plants mostly just in the orange dunelands. They should look good there.
I'm not so sure about dunelands. I thought this biome to be a seaside dune rather than a "typical" desert, is that correct? I could possibly add a new desert biome dedicated for the succulents and add some ephemeral wildflowers for the barrenlands. I'm also not sure if the plants would fit the duneland more, I actually planned adding some new plants for the duneland later. Also green doesn't work too well with orange I think.

On a side note: Saguati, the new columnar cactus still needs a rework because some players didn't like the texture, yet I like how the biome looks with the new plants.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Exile v0.3.10 is out now!
Changes:
- Added a watering can, to turn dry soil wet, thanks to ozcodex
- Ability to crouch/crawl by double-tapping shift, animations courtesy of MisterE
- Can now dump a cooking pot's contents out
- Can also empty unused dye from a dye pot
- Antiquorium ladders are solid now
- Spears are craftable again
- Minor fog improvements
And of course bugfixes!

They said I could be anything I wanted, so I became a storage chest!
Squeezy.jpg
Squeezy.jpg (165.08 KiB) Viewed 5756 times

Wizard Of mkdir
GitHub: wizardofgcc
In-game: Wizard Of mkdir

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.10

by Wizard Of mkdir » Post

Just coming in here to thank the contributors for the amazing work done on the v4 things. It is really amazing how much Exile has grown since I started playing. I especially like the new models for the tool workstations, it really enhances the visuals, I think we should get some smoother models for the bottles and pots. I have not explored around much, although it seems like the original forests have been completely replaced by the new ones, although maybe it is not that bad.

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.10

by Mantar » Post

Lowland forests are mostly sasaran, but tangkals are found up at higher elevations. I may reduce the prevalence of the dry forests a bit. The new biomes are still open to tweaking.