[Game] Exile v0.3.17

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.4

by Mantar » Post

Jackknife wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 03:00
I think this mod might fit with the theme
It does, I was eyeing it the other day. Probably not going in until players have a need for a defensive wall, though.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

DreamsInBlocks

by DreamsInBlocks » Post

If we should happen to get any small mammal four-footed food sources in this milieu, the stockade could be made to be a helpful upgrade when they mass for attack. Not my original idea but here goes:

The proposed animal is a source of food which normally will defend itself, but no more so than the male fowl that is already in Exile. As part of its life-cycle, however, it will become hungry and carnivorous! This happens during an annual seasonal migration, just as in the novel Tunnel in the Sky, where starving carnivores ruin your plans and your health for one day a year. Their goal is simply passing through the area (wherever the player may be aboveground), travelling in packs of hundreds.

They knock down or jump over all your regular doors and fences; they inflict bite and scratch wounds with chance of infection. They trample your fields and gardens, crushing 90% of all food, oil, and medicinal plants, 50% of all grasses, 20% of all woody bushes. Slight chance of breaking your water pots. Tall clay walls, a burning-brush fire line, or a stockade are needed to defend your fields. Dig deep pits for capture (2% fall in, they starve, or eat each other and leave carcasses). If you are not behind a protective fortification, retreat underground, into a walled-off cave, or up a tree.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

That's a solid idea right there. It'll have to sit on the backburner because while I could probably squeeze out a very basic model and a tolerable texture, animation is beyond me. But it'd be fun to spawn a swarm of mobs to harass a player's settlement.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

if its animation you need send me the texture and .blend model, tell me the animations you want, and ill animate it for you. probably over the long weekend

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Well, right now I guess we could use a swim animation, so players don't hover upright through the water. Maybe a collapse and crawl animation for when players are too exhausted to jump/move?
Actually, I'd kinda like to replace the player model with something less minecrafty. But there's so much else to be done already.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

you meant the player model? I thought we were talking about small animals, because of the post above... could you quote from the context?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Oh! Uh yeah, that would be the player model. The "small animals" are a blue-sky thing right now, there's no code or model or anything, just an idea on the forum at this point. I meant if you wanted to help out, that would be something you could do right away, whereas the swarming animal idea isn't remotely ready to go.

The player_api supports a swim animation, but our model doesn't have one -- runs' model has the animation but lacked support for capes, so I had to pick one or the other. I don't know if you can copy animations from one .blend to another, but the models are built on the same framework, so they ought to be similar.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

so. I found the mod "multiskin_model" in the source, and animated its model with several new animations:
swim, and crawl and their standing, moving, mining, and move-mining animations. Then I went to test it.

Thats when I realized that multiskin_model isnt being used in the codebase at all, instead character-f and character are being used, implemented directly in player_api.

My model has support for capes...

So in effect I cant really test it easily, can you? I have attached it. Please note, this is the model for the multiskin_model.

https://github.com/MisterE123/testmodel ... s/main.zip

here is the animation list:

Code: Select all

anim		start		end

stand		0		80
sit		81		161
lay		162		167
walk		168		188
mine		189		199
walk_mine	200		220

newly added
----------
swim		225		265
crouch		270		280
crouch_mine	285		305
crawl		310		350
crawl_mine	355		395
float		400		420
swim_mine	425		465
and then the other question: is this even useful to you? Did you want to stick with runs' player api with the male and female models? I *could* animate runs' version, and even fix the capes, but it would mean redoing all the work I did, no you cant copy the animation data from one model to the next. It might mean redoing it twice, one for the male model and once for the female model

EDIT: just realized I forgot the float_mine animation... if the others test out to work then let me know and I'll add it

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Aww crap! I thought I removed multiskin_model. I believe the old Exile clothing mod was using multiskin's code for combining clothing textures and stuff, but the model was unused, and since I've switched over to a modified version of runs' player_api and simplified the clothing system, it's entirely unused and I thought I removed the folder.

The problem is multiskin requires a different texture format than the model I've been using. (It also includes meshes for a faux-medieval sword and shield, which clashes with our stone-age sci-fi aesthetic) Moving over to it would require redoing all the skin, hair, and clothing textures.

On the plus side, character.b3d and character-f.b3d are the exact same file, just with different scaling and eye height parameters. (Minetest won't let me register one file in two different ways. It's one lua model entry per filename, so I just cloned the file.)

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

ok so I will reanimate the player api one Ill just do the male model and let you copy it over for the female

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Mantar: I added animations to character.blend from the player_api, and exported it to character.b3d.

also included in this download is a keyframe reference.

Please test and let me know if it worked.

https://github.com/MisterE123/testmodel ... s/main.zip

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Right on, will test today.
Edit: I've got swimming working (just had to revert to runs' original code) but it won't be live until github stops having server error messages.
Swimming looks much better now that players don't just move in a rigid upright position. Crouch and crawl will require some new code, but shouldn't be too hard to set up. Crawl looks great, crouch maybe looks a bit funny? i'll have to see it in multiplayer.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

I can edit it if you want, just give me some more detailed feedback

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

it might be cool to shrink the hitbox when you crawl so you can squeeze into a 1 node base entrance
So its hidden, especially with not having protection here

ywwv

by ywwv » Post

I want throwing spears to be added . I think that would be a good weapon to have . this picture is a demonstration . I want to do this

Attachments
vlc_2021-11-28_05-30-21.png
vlc_2021-11-28_05-30-21.png (437.68 KiB) Viewed 10562 times

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

There’s a spears mod that does that.

https://content.minetest.net/packages/Echoes91/spears/

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

MisterE: I'm not sure if it needs editing, I'll have to see it in action before I know what, if anything, might need tweaking. I don't think I can adjust the player's nodebox on the fly, but it could be worth looking into if I make it so players can crawl whenever, rather than just having it happen when they're too exhausted to jump anymore.

I have a javelin/atlatl sitting in my notes, but I could easily add spears. Won't be much use until the food rework goes in, and hunting is worth doing. It will definitely be happening once we have something besides chickens to hunt.
Hunting and fishing will probably be its own project in the near future, after the food rework and the subsequent new player tutorial mode are done.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

as far as code allowing setting the collisionbox smaller, I'm pretty sure it can be done. once you have added crouching and crawling, I can attempt to implement it

izzyb

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.4 - Links to walk through guide and questions re iron forge

by izzyb » Post

Loving this game so far! Found the walk through guide referenced here and at contentdb, but found it difficult to locate for viewing. Would be nice to see clickable links to the document since it's critically important to understanding how to play. I found it in the source at github:

https://github.com/jeremyshannon/Exile/ ... gh_022.pdf

Hoping this is the current version. I'm currently trying to figure out the iron smelter. I've had some success (first Iron Ingot), but something isn't right still. The document says you need to clear slag from the hole at the bottom of the smelter, but closest I get is Iron and Slag blocks. I see Slag blocks do exist, so can only assume I'm doing something wrong.

One thing that has me confused is the photos of the smelter seem to be impossible to reproduce. Specifically, the hole at the bottom of the smelter. It appears the bottom slab above the hole is floating more then 1 full block above the ground. Closest I can come up with is a slab at the bottom of the hole and one at the top of the next block. The photo shows a 1.5 block gap which doesn't seem possible. What am I missing?
cdb_d26897136a4c

Jackknife

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.4 - Links to walk through guide and questions re iron forge

by Jackknife » Post

izzyb wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 20:17
Loving this game so far! Found the walk through guide referenced here and at contentdb, but found it difficult to locate for viewing. Would be nice to see clickable links to the document since it's critically important to understanding how to play. I found it in the source at github:

https://github.com/jeremyshannon/Exile/ ... gh_022.pdf

Hoping this is the current version. I'm currently trying to figure out the iron smelter. I've had some success (first Iron Ingot), but something isn't right still. The document says you need to clear slag from the hole at the bottom of the smelter, but closest I get is Iron and Slag blocks. I see Slag blocks do exist, so can only assume I'm doing something wrong.

One thing that has me confused is the photos of the smelter seem to be impossible to reproduce. Specifically, the hole at the bottom of the smelter. It appears the bottom slab above the hole is floating more then 1 full block above the ground. Closest I can come up with is a slab at the bottom of the hole and one at the top of the next block. The photo shows a 1.5 block gap which doesn't seem possible. What am I missing?
Unfortunately, the walk through guide hasn't been updated in awhile, not since Exile v0.2.2.

izzyb

by izzyb » Post

Are there building guides available for the smelter and oven? Had trouble with the oven also but seem to have working results now. It's very unpredictable though. Can't get cakes to cook reliably at all. Mashed Anperla works better but still end up eating a lot of burnt ones. Kind of frustrating to say the least.
cdb_d26897136a4c

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Smelting is the process of separating iron from slag. An "iron and slag" block has started to separate, but isn't done yet, so keep going and it will separate into an iron bloom and possibly a block of useless slag.

Maraka cakes take a higher heat than anperla. For an oven, the more air nodes are adjacent to the food, the more cooling will be applied. The more unheated air nodes are adjacent to the fire, the more heat it will produce. You can adjust temperatures up or down by arranging bricks or empty spaces.

To get an overhang, you need mudbrick or brick-and-mortar blocks, which will not collapse.

The pdf is deprecated at the moment, a lot of things have changed especially with heat transfer, and there will probably be more changes as I tweak and improve that code. There's a tutorial zone in planning which will replace the pdf, and some in-world teaching tools as well, but they're not in yet. My time for working on Exile is limited by a number of factors, so progress is not as fast as I'd like. Currently the fastest way to learn Exile is to join the Land of Catastrophe server and learn from people there.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

The message that pops up at the start of a new world is off-center where you aren’t able to read the whole thing.

izzyb

by izzyb » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 20:16
Smelting is the process of separating iron from slag. An "iron and slag" block has started to separate, but isn't done yet, so keep going and it will separate into an iron bloom and possibly a block of useless slag.
I've noticed the iron blooms float to the top. Some of the iron and slag blocks don't stack and I've found they produce iron blooms still. I haven't managed to get a slag only block yet, but will keep cooking the iron and slag blocks that do stack and see what happens. I've progressed to the point of having a pickaxe and have a large deposit of iron blocks under my base so haven't had any trouble with iron supply - charcoal is a bigger issue atm, but the axe is helping with that. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully they'll help others trying to make sense of things.
Maraka cakes take a higher heat than anperla. For an oven, the more air nodes are adjacent to the food, the more cooling will be applied. The more unheated air nodes are adjacent to the fire, the more heat it will produce. You can adjust temperatures up or down by arranging bricks or empty spaces.
I figured out the Maraka cakes and anperla cook at different temperatures. I stopped trying to cook them together so I'm no longer eating burnt anperla :) I'd been tweaking my oven to get the Maraka cakes to cook which is why the anperla started always burning on me.

Originally I built the oven under a ledge but was having issues with the fire smoldering so assumed it was because of the cover. I rebuilt the oven in the open, and once I figured out the mud bricks, tried putting a cover on it but it produced more fires and burning so took it off again. Thanks for the tips. I have more to experiment with now.
To get an overhang, you need mudbrick or brick-and-mortar blocks, which will not collapse.
This much I have figured out. What a game change blocks that don't fall are! :) Was frustrated originally by brick-and-mortar blocks because I couldn't remove them but was happy to find the pickaxe can :)
The pdf is deprecated at the moment, a lot of things have changed especially with heat transfer, and there will probably be more changes as I tweak and improve that code. There's a tutorial zone in planning which will replace the pdf, and some in-world teaching tools as well, but they're not in yet. My time for working on Exile is limited by a number of factors, so progress is not as fast as I'd like. Currently the fastest way to learn Exile is to join the Land of Catastrophe server and learn from people there.
This all sounds wonderful! :) Perhaps an updated note to the first post indicating the pdf is deprecated would be helpful. I greatly appreciate your efforts and understand limits on time. It's a great game so far. I'll check out the server and ask some questions there.

Thanks again for the help and all your hard work.

...Izzy
cdb_d26897136a4c

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Jackknife wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 18:12
The message that pops up at the start of a new world is off-center where you aren’t able to read the whole thing.
Yeah, all the formspecs could use some love, but that's a weak point for me ATM. It looks okay at 1920x1080 for most people, but different resolutions and font sizes can screw it up. I'm planning to dig into it and polish them up, possibly using one of the formspec libraries like sorcerykid's, if that proves helpful.

Izzy: Happy to have helped!