[Game] Exile v0.3.17

Wuzzy
GitHub: Wuzzy2
IRC: Wuzzy
In-game: Wuzzy

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.10

by Wuzzy » Post

Dumb question but what do all the GUI elements mean? I found nothing in the wiki/manual about it (probably still missing pages?) and I'm afraid if I look into it too deep I hit spoilers. :-(

I know the game is supposed to be figured out by the players on their own but please do the bare minimum and at least explain the controls and GUI. Or did I just overlook the critical page? If so, please make the important page more visible, thx.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yeah the wiki is in a pretty sorry state. Clockwise, the icons are health, hunger, thirst, energy (basically stamina), outside temperature, body temperature, and player conditions. Energy and outside temperature are the normally first ones you have to worry about, with thirst usually being the next, and then hunger.

Controls are not final, I want to rework them as especially in the upcoming v4 branch things are getting into a funky state that players seem to find confusing. I plan on regularizing things into left click for dig/punch/pick up, right click for place, and E (Aux1) for using items.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Rednoob
In-game: REDNOOB

by Rednoob » Post

Awesome game!
You did a VERY good job and Exile is my favourite game.
But when I was playing like 5 minutes ago I saw this
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (891.47 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
I don't know if you're aware of it.
The liquid is potash_flowing
I'm still new so sorry for mistakes ;-;
If you need a builder for your game/mod/map, ask me.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Fire is dangerous, be careful where you set them! Spread is slower than in MTG, but it's still fast enough to be a threat. You can put it out safely by punching with soil, or pouring water over the area. Rainfall will also slow it down and put it out.
Also beware of lightning, as it can cause fires as well.

Rednoob

by Rednoob » Post

Yes I made a forest fire by accident...
but what I ment is that the potash is looking weird at the sides and the screen turns blue when I'm inside, wouldn't grey be better?
Also can I turn off particles?
I'm still new so sorry for mistakes ;-;
If you need a builder for your game/mod/map, ask me.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Potash is a liquid, and I suppose Minetest treats it like water when you're inside. I've never had a big enough pool of potash to go swimming in so I was unaware it was blue inside. I'll have to see if I can change that.
There's no way to turn off particles at the moment. What particles are giving you trouble?

Rednoob

by Rednoob » Post

It's the particles of the fire, I think.
Because the World with the forest fire is lagging a lot.

Code: Select all

post_effect_color = {a=64, r=100, g=100, b=200},
The Modding book says that's the code for the color of the screen when swimming in water.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

It's probably not the particles so much as all the timers and abms. You could try temporarily reducing the interval/chance on the relevant abms in mods/inferno.lua and mods/climate/temperature.lua, but I would just move away from the forest fire and come back when it's raining, and try to put it out.

And thanks for digging up the setting for that effect, that saves me some time.

Rednoob

by Rednoob » Post

I also had the abms in mind but I didn't know they could make so much lag.
Thanks for the help, I will make a boat and go away.

I had an idea that you could add, it's kinda Bad though:
A stick bundle to make woodfires burn longer when the stick bundle is near it.

And you can't turn normal clay into soil, it needs to be clay with grass, is that intentional?

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Yes, the grass is turned under to provide fertilizer. It's possible to craft agricultural soil from regular clay and wood ash, though. Clay's not a great planting medium though, you want silt or better yet, loam.

Rednoob

by Rednoob » Post

Oh, I understand now.
I just got another idea:
What if different plants grow faster in different soil?
For example the plants in the clay biome grow faster on clay.

Sorry for the many ideas, you already got much work.

lili36

by lili36 » Post

I find this a great idea (for the plants). I thought it was so at first.

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.9e

by Dokimi » Post

lord_of_the_dumpster wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 22:44
I was thinking about general succulent adaptations...
Trust your instincts for what you think looks good :-)

In general the new plants look great. I did find the ones in barrenlands to be too dark green, unlike the tsaplop one which fits well. But this is me being seriously perfectionistic!

My Afghan idea was just "vibes", the pale washed out color scheme. Seems places like that tend to have grasses and small herbaceous plants. But it's just an idea.

A General thought on Biomes
Thanks to the way minecraft does things people tend to approach biomes like this:
You take global scale biomes (e.g. desert, jungle, icesheet), then shrink them down to fit. The map is a mini-planet with all possible biomes.

I'd prefer to think of Exile's map as if it were a real place. What would actually fit in an area 60km by 60km?

Check out this old post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20231

Instead of asking "Is this a desert?", ask: "What are the soils? The position in the landscape? The geology? etc"

Coordinate-Dependent Biomes

If they've never played a map like that, I made one a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20066 This is what it looks like if you ditch hardcoded biomes and think like an ecologist. (the code is laggy, might be buggy now too, but it demonstrates what it's like).

That kind of map brings a lot of challenges with it, but it could be interesting.

(Anyway, I hadn't looked at this in a while. Nice to see the progress!)

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

I discovered a bug where players are immune to lava, drowning, the hunger, and other indicators, don’t work.
Only the temperature changes. Also the spiders appear to be resistant to lava

lord_of_the_dumpster

by lord_of_the_dumpster » Post

Dokimi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 06:15
In general the new plants look great. I did find the ones in barrenlands to be too dark green, unlike the tsaplop one which fits well. But this is me being seriously perfectionistic!
Yeah, they're green. I could possibly try to change the color somehow.
I'm also not perfectly happy with how Saguati looks.
Tsaplop (the idea of some other player) appears to be an opuntia-like plant.
I was told it is a cactus so I added more plants like that.
One thing I'm not happy with is also how the biome looks during winter.
Drapacz for example has bright colors and looks good during spring/summer/fall but looks bad during winter.
Cacti are evergreen but we can't have evergreen cacti if temperature falls below 0.
Dokimi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 06:15
A General thought on Biomes
Thanks to the way minecraft does things people tend to approach biomes like this:
You take global scale biomes (e.g. desert, jungle, icesheet), then shrink them down to fit. The map is a mini-planet with all possible biomes.

I'd prefer to think of Exile's map as if it were a real place. What would actually fit in an area 60km by 60km?
Didn't know that was the plan. Fine by me but then we have a limited set of biomes in that particular climate. Your post gave me an idea to make two variants of Exile climate - cold and hot (like Crimson and Purple in Terraria) - so each world would randomly be cold or hot depending on where on the planet we are. If we wanted that then we'd have to make more biomes.

Also I think the game already breaches the rule in one place - the amma forest. It's dark yet temperatures can often reach 48°C during summer. I guess forest can't exist in temperatures that high?
Forests have a cooling effect due to transpiration and trees casting shadow.
Should we then decrease the temperature on that biome and assume the forest cools it down or maybe the cooler and rainy climate allowed for the forest in the first place?
Copyleft 🄯 All wrongs reserved!

lord_of_the_dumpster

I'm working on some new plants again.

Barszcz - a new plant for the grassland and duneland.
barszcz2.png
barszcz2.png (691.86 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Malinka - a new plant for the wetland. It is related to Malina.
malinka.png
malinka.png (345.14 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
Srebroplon - a rare mutant Ziarnoplon. Srebro = silver.
Possibly grabbed the bioluminescence gene from the mushrooms. Be careful as it can randomly mutate in your garden! OH NO IT GLOWS!!!1!
srebroplon.png
srebroplon.png (715.26 KiB) Viewed 2132 times

lord_of_the_dumpster

Small plants like this look better when they're 20x20 pixels rather than 16x16.
I used the same trick for Ziarnopłon.

Slightly improved the texture:
malinka2.png
malinka2.png (394.24 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

TPH
IRC: TPH
In-game: TubberPupper-TubberPupperHusker-TPH

by TPH » Post

ooo I likey the new plants :o

also yay more permanent communications than irc finally
Your fellow anthro-therian (copper) husky furry :D (hopefully not too cringe lol). How do ye' do?

TPH

by TPH » Post

Tue May 02, 2023 17:12
A new shrub (small tree) for the forest. The blue things are meaty cones.
It may or may not be edible, find out yourself.
Dynamic shadows enabled so it looks better than it actually is.

jalowiec.png
why are the leaves spikey 3:< (didn't know either cause it didn't look spikey like the other spikey plants :o)

oh god I just thought of a terrible idea

imagine a poison ivy like plant
Your fellow anthro-therian (copper) husky furry :D (hopefully not too cringe lol). How do ye' do?

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

by Dokimi » Post

Plants look cool :-)

As far as keeping it "like a real place" you can push that pretty extreme. Everything in Minetest feels about 10x larger than in reality. So, think what might fit in a 600km x 600km space. (and, as always, you guys are free to take things where ever you want to go. I'm just sitting on the sidelines here, doing armchair commentary!)

I actually liked how the winter transformation (v4) made the map feel like a whole new place. That was fun. Squeezes more variety out of it without actually adding new biomes.

Not sure how you'd handle micro-climates (e.g. forest humidity) in the code. But those effects definitely exist in reality. At small scales those are the kinds of forces that make one habitat (biome) different from another (plus soils, etc).

lord_of_the_dumpster

TPH wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 01:32
why are the leaves spikey 3:< (didn't know either cause it didn't look spikey like the other spikey plants :o)

oh god I just thought of a terrible idea

imagine a poison ivy like plant
It is spiky obviously because it was inspired by a real plant that also is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper
It would be too easy if you could simply climb on top of a high Jałowiec to grab the cones.
These are needles and cones, not leaves and berries.

Plants that give effects after touching would be nice too and I plan adding these eventually.
First I need to add some code for spawning tiny "volatile" particles that will notify the player a plant is fragrant. Wrotycz and some other plants would have that effect and it would mean different things.
Some plants for example contain essential oils that can be used to repel bugs, kill parasites and treat fungus.

TPH

by TPH » Post

Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:49
It is spiky obviously because it was inspired by a real plant that also is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper
It would be too easy if you could simply climb on top of a high Jałowiec to grab the cones.
These are needles and cones, not leaves and berries.

Plants that give effects after touching would be nice too and I plan adding these eventually.
First I need to add some code for spawning tiny "volatile" particles that will notify the player a plant is fragrant. Wrotycz and some other plants would have that effect and it would mean different things.
Some plants for example contain essential oils that can be used to repel bugs, kill parasites and treat fungus.
Ohhhhhh :o

And fair fair, though those cones are not worth getting hurt over when I can just eat the nearby panasee or those other pinecone trees x3 (but I guess that's a part of the learning element in Exiles :D)

Ooooooo that's a clever idea :o . Just don't go making any of those crazy plants like in 2008's "The Happening" lol
Could also get some ideas from some of Australia's weirdest trees, like the Gympie-Gympie if you really feel like torturing players lol

TPH

by TPH » Post

Mantar wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 19:39
Yeah the wiki is in a pretty sorry state. Clockwise, the icons are health, hunger, thirst, energy (basically stamina), outside temperature, body temperature, and player conditions. Energy and outside temperature are the normally first ones you have to worry about, with thirst usually being the next, and then hunger.

Controls are not final, I want to rework them as especially in the upcoming v4 branch things are getting into a funky state that players seem to find confusing. I plan on regularizing things into left click for dig/punch/pick up, right click for place, and E (Aux1) for using items.
I know I wanna try to make a video tutorial for Exiles at some point (or several), and maybe even a trailer to hype up the game and bring in a larger audience :D (could possibly bring more passionate individuals as well)
Although I only have like 40 subscribers on Youtube and like 160 unique followers combined on other platforms so there isn't much popularity I'd bring unless the algorithm does some blessing (or cursing if you don't want the influx of people 💀). I know I'd want to show any video I do make, if I do, to y'all here first before uploading it anywhere.

TPH

by TPH » Post

Being given the idea by lord_of_the_dumpster :D https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile/issue ... ent-991010

I've been working on making a nicer designed HUD (probably still won't be looking too good lol) that appears with a "node_detector" (and might make an "entity_detector" in the future :o) when you click on a node with it (on_use). I plan for it to list every element of a node's nodedef. Its params and possible nodetimers or metadata (params, timers, and metadata being displayed when right clicked instead of left clicked)

As of the moment, it functions correctly to what I've wanted - the HUD closes when you unequip the tool (the code checks itself every 0.5 seconds to see if it's not the probe - these 0.5 second checks are also intended to update anything going on with the node at the time. I might bring the timer down to 0.3 seconds).

As of the moment, it does not crash or have errors, with all of the safeguards I put into place lol, and currently has the capability of showing the node's name (but I programmed it out for testing).

I'm just trying to conceptualize how I'm going to organize it properly, as there's tables inside tables (sounds for example) and I want to correctly incorporate those into the HUD itself. I also want to make a separate section for functions or other variables that are NOT tables, so that it isn't getting clogged up.

I also want the code to be as intuitive as possible, be as easily replicable as possible so that it can be applied to other things in the future, possibly to prepare HUDs for other tools, or to prepare functionality for things like a possible "entity_detector".

Any criticism or further ideas is wanted :DDD
Attachments
node_detector_concept.PNG
node_detector_concept.PNG (344.68 KiB) Viewed 2029 times

TPH

by TPH » Post

I'm essentially trying to figure out how to condense this information (I had clicked on two nodes) into a more readable and kinder format (the probe format above) for debugging purposes :D
Attachments
nodeinfo.png
nodeinfo.png (660.78 KiB) Viewed 2021 times