[Game prototype] War Machine

Dokimi
GitHub: DokimiCU

[Game prototype] War Machine

by Dokimi » Post

War Machine

As the forever war enters its second millennium, a new droid is added to the fight.

(Caution: This game will give you shell shock.)

Development Status

I made most of this prototype of a game a long time ago.

I'm making it public in case someone else wants to build this into an actual game (before I accidentally delete the whole thing!).

War Machine has some fun stuff in it, but currently doesn't make much sense as a game.

- Gameplay is not balanced, has no real goal or progression
- Code is a mess (a lot is rough copy paste from elsewhere)
- Code is probably out of date (don't be surprised if it doesn't work at all!)
- Missing features
- Features present, but not accessible in gameplay

This is a base to build on for making your own game, but that will take a lot of work. I myself will not be developing this further.

Some suggestions for how to take this further:

- The core game is super-intense sci-fi combat, plus the building of fortifications to survive that fight (e.g. bunkers that can withstand fullscale bombardment).

- give it a goal (currently it is a pointless forever war)

- might work better with limited size "arenas" rather than an open world?

- might be a good multiplayer game? Like capture the flag

- control pacing (bombardment and combat becomes numbing)

- balance. NPCs have no chance against a human player. Weirdly enough my earlier versions were far more interesting. It was mostly singleplayer vs swarms of NPCs all under hyper-intense bombardment on a regular Minetest map that was getting reduced to ash.

- performance: large numbers of mobs and explosions gets laggy.

- Think deeper about the meaning of war games. Everyone, including the player, is a robot for a reason. It's also why I'm not developing it further. Personally, I'd want to see a game that handles the subject in a mature way.

- Give it some narrative: maybe something along the lines of Forever War, by Joe Haldeman. Possible theme - how vast, incomprehensible, and dehumanizing an actual battlefield is.

DOWNLOAD
https://github.com/DokimiCU/war_machine ... master.zip

GITHUB
https://github.com/DokimiCU/war_machine

Maybe you wanted to make a shooter game but didn't know where to start?? This could be for you! Have fun with it :-)
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (571.59 KiB) Viewed 698 times

Mentos

Re: [Game prototype] War Machine

by Mentos » Post

Sorry I posted that the game won't start, my bad, now it's working (I forgot to rename the folder by deleting the -master) I'll try it out! Thank you for sharing.