[Game] MeseCraft

MeseCraft
GitHub: MeseCraft

[Game] MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

Hi minetesters,

I wanted to share a special project with all of you that I have been working on:

MeseCraft - The best game for Minetest! A project with the goal of building upon minetest_game survival. Has a focus on being fun, user-friendly, stable, and minimalist but featured. This project also has a strong community focus. Check it out: www.mesecraft.com

Background:
I've been running a server for awhile now. It runs a unique game I've been working on called MeseCraft. This server initially started out known as "Sara's Simple Survival Server". It was started so I could play Minetest with family who now live out of state. However, this project as grown substantially. I think it raises the bar compared to other servers/games and I expect it to be heavily forked and garner much interest from other modders,developers,and server operators. Please consider helping the project if you can. I will be publishing a roadmap for development soon.

Mission:
The goal of MeseCraft is to raise the bar and design a fun and complete survival game for Minetest.

During my time playing Minetest_game, I became really bored with what it had to offer. So I used it as a basis to start creating a new game called MeseCraft. I wanted MeseCraft to be very user-friendly and extremely fun. With lots of integrated features and polish, It is meant to have everything you would expect a fun survival game to have. At this point, the game is nearly two years old and has been revised and updated many times. I try to incorporate feedback and suggestions as much as possible when it is right for the game. Many mechanics are very mature and thought out without being confusing.

Feedback
I have already received a lot of positive feedback from our players about the state of the game including things like:
  • "This is the best game I've ever played in Minetest."
  • "This is my favorite server!"

Features
I've put a lot of effort into expanding the depth of the game and extending features that you're already familiar with:
  • Challenging survival mechanics without confusion.
  • Improved terrain and decorations in ALL biomes.
  • New massive cavern biomes to explore
  • New custom mobs and special cave mobs
  • Space exploration (beta): Moon, mars, jump-drives, portals, and more.
  • villages
  • trading
  • sound effects and music - immersive sound design.
  • factions support for protectors
  • much much more and unique content designed specifically for MeseCraft

This short list does not do the game justice. This game is obviously still heavily work in progress, but I've already started to see interest in the repos and a few forks and servers hosting the game. I would really encourage people to try it and to consider leaving feedback to help us develop the game. A development roadmap should be published soon. This game has immense potential and broader growth for the Minetest community.

Try the game and if you like, consider joining MeseCraft so we can bring this exceptional game to Minetest.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

The official website of this project can be found at www.mesecraft.com

There are also three world-wide servers for MeseCraft that you can play on online: Americas, Europe, and Asia.

It is not yet on ContentDB, but will be published soon. Yes it is in alpha version. Should I publish it there anyways?

Git: Source Code

License is AGPL (That's Affero GPL). That means if you host it on a server and modify the source code, you must legally make your modified source code available publicly. https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html
Last edited by MeseCraft on Wed Dec 07, 2022 15:56, edited 10 times in total.
🌎 Website | ⛏️ MeseCraft Game | πŸ“° News | πŸ–ŒοΈ ContentDB

MeseCraft

Re: [Game] MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

This game has been called "mod soup" before. While, that has some truth to it (and some untruth), I promise you, it will be the best soup you've ever had. The ingredients have been carefully selected and the blend of spices has been finely balanced. Perhaps we're still adjusting the ingredients a little bit, but you can already experience it's wonderful signature taste.

MeseCraft

by MeseCraft » Post

Update: I just added two more servers to different world regions (Europe and Asia) that run the stable branch of this game currently. If you want to test it out in your region now without messing with git repositories, you can do that now. Just search for "MeseCraft.com Survival Server" in the server list and then choose the region you want.

Komodo
In-game: Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Quick update:

This project has been added as a game package on the Minetest ContentDB today.
https://content.minetest.net/packages/M ... mesecraft/
🌎 Website | 🌲 MeseCraft Game | πŸ“° News | πŸ–ŒοΈ ContentDB

Chris

by Chris » Post

I've installed it from the Content DB. It throws the following error:

AsyncErr: Lua: finishGenRuntime error from mod 'df_caverns' in callback environment_OnGenerated(): ...raft/mods/WORLD/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:52: attempt to index local 'humiditymap' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
...raft/mods/WORLD/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:52: in function <...raft/mods/WORLD/dfcaverns/df_caverns/surface_tunnels.lua:9>
/usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:429: in function </usr/share/games/minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:413>

Minetest 5.3.0

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

This is the first I've heard of an issue like this. Thanks for reporting it Chris. Are you using an alternative mapgen? I'll try to get back to you with some more information about this issue soon.

Chris

by Chris » Post

Komodo wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 12, 2022 14:45
Are you using an alternative mapgen?
I'm using "v6".

corasTenthTry
GitHub: corarona
IRC: cora
In-game: cora

by corasTenthTry » Post

That would explain it as v6 doesn't use the biome api the other mapgens do and hence probably doesn't have a humiditymap. Looks like dfcaverns does not like that. It will probably work with the other mapgens.

Chris

by Chris » Post

Yes, but this is not necessary. Please block unwanted mapgens. See https://dev.minetest.net/Mapgen_Parameters

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

news: the unstable branch of mesecraft received an update for the void chests last night.

chris: I don't see an option to do that in the link you sent. maybe its in the lua_api.txt Also, it would probably be better to just throw in some code into dfcaverns to default to a value if there is no humiditymap. this is an error thrown from dfcaverns i think.

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Chris wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 15, 2022 08:19
Yes, but this is not necessary. Please block unwanted mapgens. See https://dev.minetest.net/Mapgen_Parameters
I see what you mean Chris, https://github.com/minetest/minetest/bl ... pi.txt#L65

there is a parameter that could be added to disable unsupported mapgens. I'll weigh this option, but rather, I'd like the game to support other mapgens so that players could choose whatever style environment they like.

swk072

by swk072 » Post

Hello everyone,

I'm playing Mesecraft from ContentDB in singleplayer, I'm enjoying your work, thanks!

But I have a question,

I plant carrots, rice and others, but the crops don't grow... the soil is wet near the water... Do I have to do something special?

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

you have to leave the game running for long enough. unfortunately, the crop growth is optimised for a server. maybe there should be something that checks for singleplayer and speeds it up ...

Chris

by Chris » Post

There's a strange behavior if you place blocks (e.g. dirt or cobblestone) in water. It forms moving water hills.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

thats dynamic_liquid. water is neither created nor destroyed

swk072

by swk072 » Post

ok, then I have to wait

Thank you MisterE!

Edit: I modified the numer for "farming_stage_length" in minetest.conf file: farming_stage_length=6000.0

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

swk072 wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 21, 2022 09:09
Hello everyone,

I'm playing Mesecraft from ContentDB in singleplayer, I'm enjoying your work, thanks!

But I have a question,

I plant carrots, rice and others, but the crops don't grow... the soil is wet near the water... Do I have to do something special?
Thank you! Development will keep working, so expect more updates soon.

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

MisterE wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:52
Thank you MisterE. Yes, we've been using dynamic liquid in MeseCraft, which means that liquid will move and shift in bodies, it's a bit odd at first but you'll get used to it.

Farming crops takes a long time, tried to mimic real life a bit more to add some challenge with crops for now. It's supposed to take a season, I can't remember how many in-game days.

MisterE

by MisterE » Post

Komodo wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 27, 2022 16:33
MisterE wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:52
Thank you MisterE. Yes, we've been using dynamic liquid in MeseCraft, which means that liquid will move and shift in bodies, it's a bit odd at first but you'll get used to it.

Farming crops takes a long time, tried to mimic real life a bit more to add some challenge with crops for now. It's supposed to take a season, I can't remember how many in-game days.
the issue with that is that that means it can take litteral months to grow crops, if you only play a singleplayer world an hour or so every few days.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

A simple minetest.is_singleplayer() test could be used to override default settings, it's what I would do. And yeah I've noticed crops grow very slowly.

I've been playing around with Mesecraft a bit since I saw it on the contentdb earlier this week, and I gotta say it's a pretty nice expression of the MTG style gameplay. I'll send you a PR to update wielded_light, you're missing some of the more recent features it has. I already patched it for myself so that held torches no longer go out when you're on a ladder. (Thanks to izzyb for his work on that, it's really improved some things in Exile)
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

I understand, but the point was to nerf crops a bit and encourage players to hunt/explore a bit more too. Room for improvement.

Thanks Mantar, will review it and merge it as soon as possible. Those updates sound excellent. Thanks for the support.

Komodo

by Komodo » Post

Mantar wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 28, 2022 20:54
A simple minetest.is_singleplayer() test could be used to override default settings, it's what I would do. And yeah I've noticed crops grow very slowly.

I've been playing around with Mesecraft a bit since I saw it on the contentdb earlier this week, and I gotta say it's a pretty nice expression of the MTG style gameplay. I'll send you a PR to update wielded_light, you're missing some of the more recent features it has. I already patched it for myself so that held torches no longer go out when you're on a ladder. (Thanks to izzyb for his work on that, it's really improved some things in Exile)
Tested, confirmed lights are showing on ladders now. Once again, thanks for the mod Mantar! Cool update :)

goats

by goats » Post

Messed around with this a bit, it's an interesting take.

So yeah, issues:
AsyncErr: Lua: Unknown node: lib_doors:stone_door_centered_with_window
This is a crash. (Cool that you have Geomoria in the mods, tho.)
The (deprecated) depends.txt appears to be wrong about lib_doors being optional.
lib_doors requires lib_shapes, and both live at the same place where i can find the only extant fork of Geomoria.
Adding these mods seems to work fine so far.
Edit:
Crash when digging a bed, it seems due to bed references in lib_shapes, though not directly addressed in debug output.
Spoiler
ERROR[Main]: ServerError: AsyncErr: ServerThread::run Lua: Runtime error from mod 'mesecraft_beds' in callback node_on_dig(): Runtime error from mod 'mesecraft_beds' in callback node_on_destruct(): /mods/ITEMS/mesecraft_beds/api.lua:20: attempt to call field 'remove_spawns_at' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
/mods/ITEMS/mesecraft_beds/api.lua:20: in function 'destruct_bed'
/mods/ITEMS/mesecraft_beds/api.lua:106: in function </mods/ITEMS/mesecraft_beds/api.lua:105>
[C]: in function 'remove_node'
../builtin/game/item.lua:621: in function <../builtin/game/item.lua:550>
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'remove_node'
../builtin/game/item.lua:621: in function <../builtin/game/item.lua:550>
So /lib_shapes/utility.lua comment out block:178-197 bed functions utility code and dofile refs for beds_api.lua and beds_spawns.lua seems to work.
/edit

But also:WARNING[Emerge-0]: Assignment to undeclared global "duanes_collision_avoidance" inside a function at /mods/WORLD/geomoria/mapgen.lua:187.

ERROR[Main]: register_ore: clust_scarcity and clust_num_oresmust be greater than 0
This is echoed in chat at start. no clue which ore(s) and haven't searched.

Things which eventually may or may not be a problem:
WARNING[Main]: dynamic_liquid attempted to call add_flow_through on the node name signs:sign, which was not found in minetest.registered_nodes.

WARNING[Main]: register_ore: ore type requires 'noise_params' but it is not specified, falling back to defaults (at .../minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:500)
WARNING[Main]: get_mapgen_params is deprecated; use get_mapgen_setting instead (at .../minetest/builtin/game/register.lua:619)

WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "corner_nodebox" accessed at .../mods/ITEMS/mesecons/mesecons_extrawires/corner.lua:33, 61
WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "pipeworks" accessed at /mods/ITEMS/fancy_vend/init.lua:30, 1409
WARNING[Main]: Undeclared global variable "mcl_formspec" accessed at /mods/ITEMS/commoditymarket/formspecs.lua:4
WARNING[Server]: Undeclared global variable "music" accessed at /mods/SOUND/ambience/init.lua:449

Also, running this on anything over Minetest 5.3.0 will spam debug.txt with deprecation warnings:
  • depends.txt is deprecated, please use mod.conf instead.
  • description.txt is deprecated, please use mod.conf instead.
  • Mods not having a mod.conf file with the name is deprecated.
  • Field "alpha": Obsolete, only limited compatibility provided; replaced by "use_texture_alpha"
  • Field "use_texture_alpha": Boolean values are deprecated; use the new choices
  • minetest.setting_* functions are deprecated. Use methods on the minetest.settings object.
It's different and fun. Can't wait to see if the dfcaverns is as old as some of the other mods' versions, it may not choke my ancient garbage laptop.
Last edited by goats on Sat Aug 06, 2022 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I've noticed all that as well. BTW, overriding minetest.register_ore to get some output gives me a list of the nodes with problems:

Code: Select all

ore 	default:silver_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_size value
ore 	default:silver_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_num_ores value
ore 	default:silver_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_size value
ore 	default:silver_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_num_ores value
ore 	default:desert_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_size value
ore 	default:desert_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_num_ores value
ore 	default:desert_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_size value
ore 	default:desert_sandstone	 has an invalid clust_num_ores value
ore 	default:sandstone	 has an invalid clust_size value
ore 	default:sandstone	 has an invalid clust_num_ores value
ore 	default:clay	 has an invalid clust_num_ores value